Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why is it always mabinogi?

HellkaizerHellkaizer
Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
in General Chat
No matter what games I've played, MMO's I've enjoyed I always end up back here.

This wasn't my first MMO, or even the one I've played longest. But after playing nearly every MMO (or at least trying it) nothing is as unique as mabi. Kind of disappointing no?

Comments

• AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    Many MMOs use the same formula:

Pick a class. Have a strict role and very specific logical build to be useful. Equipment is class based and have level requirements. Skills are learned through levels.
    Mabi allows you to learn anything and wear anything (restricted to race and gender) not based on how strong you are.

Adventure through precariously placed quests from Area level 1 to Area level 5. Repeat the adventuring through the linear world. You can draw a line through the world map between the leveled areas. There may be some "story" that ties these areas together.
    Mabi is different, its more akin to an (albeit small) open world. The generation quests have you going pretty much all over the continents and dungeons with multiple difficulties that have difficulty that are stronger and weaker to each other (kinda less after the dungeon revamp...).

Mabi is very unique and I do not know any other game that is like Mabi.
    WolfandWolfBerryswirlYellowBinNilremKitsuyashaRadiant DawnBuffalosRukiyaXiokunKingEphyand 11 others.
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    It is, and it isn't

What makes Mabinogi great, to me, is the overall lack of truly defined classes. Anyone can learn damn-near any skill and you can mix and match at you leisure. No other MMO I've played has come close to this in a proper RPG setting. The only thing I can think of that even comes close is the first Guild Wars where you could take on a primary class as a secondary, giving you the skills and weapons on that class on top of your main one.

The disappointing thing is that the game's age is showing very badly. The original dev team no longer works at DevCat, making updating old content, as bad or worse than getting a bill through the Congress and the House or Representatives. There are key features that are flat out omitted here in Nexon Global because of botched or failed conversions from the raw data sent from Nexon Korea. That, or Nexon Korea feels that we don't deserve the content for some reason.
    TwelieCrimsọnDaktaroKimberlyJianto
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    edited May 14, 2017
    because mabinogi has charm

other games dont let you really do anything till you hit level 50+

and to get to 50 in those games you start you find npc A and then you spam F until your reach npc b and you rinse repeat this for 72 hours or more with nothing memorable or notable in-between

• EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited May 14, 2017
    From what I've seen, many MMO ended up with bunch of raids or extreme end game dungeons after finishing bunch of quests. Then I felt overwhelmed and lost because of those requirements that I need. Isn't it kinda funny that in order to join them I have to get stuffs that's from those dungeons/raids? And you get insulted if you are doing something wrong. But then Mabinogi is more like 3D Avatar Chatting Game(*cough*)... so you can have freedom of doing whatever here, plus raid is just an optional. And I do not like games where bunch of items just drop for no reason and you have absolutely no idea where to use (not even sure whether I should throw away or not).

Even though there was other game where you can do rebirth kind thing, I did not stay there longer than a week. For me, cosmetic/costumes and playing music that I or others composed as alone or other players did a big job for staying on this game for over 10 years since KR mabi was opened.

I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to say other game's name but those games were like DF*, Ma*les*ory, Te*a, Bn*, F*XIV, L*nia, Vin*ictus and more. They were the type I said above. (At least F*XIV publisher didn't ask much Cash Items for power so I loved them)
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Aeolys wrote: »
    Many MMOs use the same formula:

Pick a class. Have a strict role and very specific logical build to be useful. Equipment is class based and have level requirements. Skills are learned through levels.
    Mabi allows you to learn anything and wear anything (restricted to race and gender) not based on how strong you are.

Adventure through precariously placed quests from Area level 1 to Area level 5. Repeat the adventuring through the linear world. You can draw a line through the world map between the leveled areas. There may be some "story" that ties these areas together.
    Mabi is different, its more akin to an (albeit small) open world. The generation quests have you going pretty much all over the continents and dungeons with multiple difficulties that have difficulty that are stronger and weaker to each other (kinda less after the dungeon revamp...).

Mabi is very unique and I do not know any other game that is like Mabi.

Yep, I absolutely love it because of this freedom. The game doesn't "baby" me by restricting where I can go by my level; essentially, I am free to go into Peaca Abyss and get myself K/O'd a million times if I so choose. Oh sure, there are sometimes Talent requirements, but they are easily met and often have little bearing on the actual level of your character (and vice versa, your level often has no bearing on your talent level). The game doesn't force you to stick with any one given area. The only exception is if you happen to choose to do the tutorial area when you start a new character, but that is a short lived area and can even be skipped.

Also, that freedom to wear whatever I want. In many other MMOs, you have level restrictions on gear. With the exception of the Demonic weapons (talent level based), I have yet to see many equipment/weapons have any sort of level requirement to them. Almost all heavy armor have the same stats (same with light armor), so you can choose which set you like looking at and work to improve them through reforges/enchant. You aren't pigeonholed into wearing something because it happens to have the best stats for your level.

And finally, as Aeolys says, you aren't forced into a specific class. The Talents you can choose are only there to improve training; they aren't there to force you into only using those skills. Heck, you can change your Talent every week if you wanted to, and yeah you could learn ALL the SKILLZ.

I think these points are what makes Mabinogi so amazing. I wish that more MMOs would get the hint and work the way Mabi does.
    BerryswirlHellkaizerYellowBinKitsuyashaImaizumiSpiritika
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    One does not simply quit Mabi,
    WolfandWolfBippi
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited May 14, 2017
    • FFXIV Played it, it was pretty good. Didn't want to join a guild and spend 5 hours a night learning raids as I don't have that much time
    • Archeage RIP and bless, that game COULD'VE been amazing but thanks trion
    • BDO I'm enjoying it a lot actually. The combat is like a fresh tera, I'm playing pretty much just because I'm having fun killing things
    • Tera Feels old now, PVP scene is dead getting more and more female only classes and is pretty P2W
    • WoW it's been stale for a loooooooooong time, and I didn't like it anyway
    • Aion is like... the first crush you have, and then later realize it was nice to think about but overall pretty meh...
    • ESO Honestly, I like it but the combat feels awful
    • BnS Aside from matched arena PVP I pretty much disliked everything else about the game (I was high plat on sin)

None of those games have the freedom that mabi does, and it's pretty disappointing. While a lot of those are good games in their own right, they just aren't the same. The only other game that had a true sense of freedom was/is runescape. But I don't feel like stringing bows for 140 hours for the third time so I'll leave that alone. I feel a game with BDO/Tera combat and the freedom of Mabi/RS would be mind blowingly amazing. Oh well, rant over. Mabinogi is such a unique game, it's depressing to see it age, and have nothing close to it at the same time. Mabinogi is like that really cool old dude who tells funny stories and makes you tea when you visit. It's warm and nice, yet you can see he's starting to struggle to do the same things as time goes on.
    TwelieSpiritika
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    most mmos all feel the same after a while but not mabi. I love all the unique features mabi has and not all of it is combat. crafting clothes, making potions, playing music, lots of life skills and so much more. it is nice to have a mmo with so many free choices so you can be who or what you want to be which is exactly what a fantasy life mmo should be instead of limiting the players with so many silly lvl requirements. only other mmo that feels almost as unique as mabi to me would be Spiral Knights.
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    Honestly, as weird as it sounds, Mabinogi actually remembers what it means to be an MMO.

I've reached a point where I can call a lot of other MMOs these days "Single Player MMOs", because they make mechanics only be based around a single player experience, and then add grinding and just have other players around.

The combination of Mabinogi's freedom of growth and social aspects like fashion contests, banquets, and playing music...
    It knows how to be the MMO it needs to be, even while being as dated as it is.

It was sort of why I loved and then had to leave BnS, the gameplay was very enjoyable to me, but it lacked any social activities, never encouraged social interaction, and ended up with a community that makes Mabi's afk towns look like a vibrant city.

Mabinogi's community is a huge part of why the game is as great as it is.
    If only it wasn't held back by such an old engine, it would be an amazing MMO with how its designed.
    KitsuyashaDaktaro
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 14, 2017
    Felice wrote: »
    It is, and it isn't

What makes Mabinogi great, to me, is the overall lack of truly defined classes. Anyone can learn damn-near any skill and you can mix and match at you leisure. No other MMO I've played has come close to this in a proper RPG setting. The only thing I can think of that even comes close is the first Guild Wars where you could take on a primary class as a secondary, giving you the skills and weapons on that class on top of your main one.

The disappointing thing is that the game's age is showing very badly. The original dev team no longer works at DevCat, making updating old content, as bad or worse than getting a bill through the Congress and the House or Representatives. There are key features that are flat out omitted here in Nexon Global because of botched or failed conversions from the raw data sent from Nexon Korea. That, or Nexon Korea feels that we don't deserve the content for some reason.

That last part is what pisses me off and saddens me because it's probably true. We've been saying this for almost a decade. :(
    TwelieFelice
  • BippiBippi
    Mabinogi Rep: 850
    edited May 14, 2017
    Felice wrote: »
    The disappointing thing is that the game's age is showing very badly.

I agree, though I always found the PS1/N64 graphics endearing. I kinda wish they'd update the human/elf models like they did with giants. I'd love some more definition for my heiney overall figure.

Felice
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I've reached a point where I can call a lot of other MMOs these days "Single Player MMOs", because they make mechanics only be based around a single player experience, and then add grinding and just have other players around.

If only the Mabi devs hadn't decided to emulate them after g16.
    Nilrem
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    You know, Mabi has some really lame raids... But I feel like they're only held back by engine and old spaghetti coding. I really do feel if mabi had a graphics redesign, a new engine and bug fixes and released as just that, it would blow up hugely in popularity.
    NilremDaktaroAlmostNotsuperImaizumiCrimsọnHawkleaf
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,010
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    You know, Mabi has some really lame raids... But I feel like they're only held back by engine and old spaghetti coding. I really do feel if mabi had a graphics redesign, a new engine and bug fixes and released as just that, it would blow up hugely in popularity.

While i'm sure a lot of people would like this it would most likely cost a lot of money to do and i doubt nexon would bother with it even knowing it would most likely be a hit considering people still play mabi as is plus it would mean starting from the beginning all the stuff we paid for and time we put into mabi would be lost not sure about others but i don't really like the thought of that honestly.
    Obsim
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    dra011 wrote: »

While i'm sure a lot of people would like this it would most likely cost a lot of money to do and i doubt nexon would bother with it even knowing it would most likely be a hit considering people still play mabi as is plus it would mean starting from the beginning all the stuff we paid for and time we put into mabi would be lost not sure about others but i don't really like the thought of that honestly.

A mabinogi with no bugs (or at least very little) no lag (again or very little) updated graphics engine and a mechanic rework... I'd restart in a heartbeat.
    NilremImaizumiFeliceCrimsọn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    dra011 wrote: »

A mabinogi with no bugs (or at least very little) no lag (again or very little) updated graphics engine and a mechanic rework... I'd restart in a heartbeat.

I would too, but...I would miss the old world that we spent the last decade on. :<
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited May 15, 2017
    The main point of MMORPG's is making progressions.
    What makes Mabinogi unique is that you can be ANY class that you want.
    Usually in other MMO's you cap a class and you are done, while in Mabinogi you can continue ranking other "skillsets/classes" which will somehow benefit your main class AND your character (in terms of HP, Defense, Stamina etc)
    So there is no ending, unless you're done with every skill like us old folks.

Then again, The game itself isn't the only thing thats unique, the community is too lmao /sarcasm @Neyna
    Neyna
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited May 15, 2017
    Mabinogi reminds me heavily of the original Star Wars Galaxies. (In gameplay that is.) Pick whatever skills you want, mix and match however you want, do whatever you dang please.

There really aren't any other games that do this nowadays. The only one that is even CLOSE would be Elder Scrolls Online, where you pick a class but can learn skills from other classes if you wish. Still, it's not nearly as free and open as Mabi's skill system. (City of Heroes was also skill based but closed down a long time ago.)

If they ever cleaned up Mabi's graphical engine, it'd probably be a smash hit. Unfortunately I think some people take one look and go "ugh, that looks old". I think Devcat has pushed Pleone much farther than it was supposed to go. That said, co-workers see me playing on lunchbreak and think it looks fun.