Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dark skinned elves?

Comments

• TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    Frosslass wrote: »
    Dcat682 wrote: »
    So... what's the big deal with dark skinned elves?

some of us are dark skinned irl and would like our characters to reflect that, all the while being able to use the race (elves) we would like to use....at least thats my reason lol

I don't make my character really look anything like me. I just like dark skinned elves. Like... They're so cute.
    ErorservDcat682ZeoSphyra21Radiant Dawn
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Makes sense.
    I wonder if the reason they're none are because Nexon originally wanted the characters to be seperated by race for emersion. Though geographically elves should be the darker skinned race because they are from a harsher desert like environment.
    You know... I think I'm overthinking this now.

Edit: Oops, just realized how racist that sounded. Without expanding on my topic xD

Not quite sure how, it seems accurate. Heck, people question the artistic license with Jesus since he came from an arid region around the Middle East, and thus probably had much darker skin than his artistic depictions.
  • FrosslassFrosslass
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    edited May 18, 2017
    i lowkey find it kinda funny how on this mmo, its an issue that elves cant be black, but in life....yknow what, im not going there xD!!!
  • Dcat682Dcat682
    Mabinogi Rep: 880
    Not quite sure how, it seems accurate. Heck, people question the artistic license with Jesus since he came from an arid region around the Middle East, and thus probably had much darker skin than his artistic depictions.

That's exactly the point @Blissfulkill. Elves are from an arid place meaning that it would make more sense for the elves to be darker than lighter.

The irony lies that if Nexon wanted to seperate skin color from races they should have made the elves darker only due to the arid environment and the giants lighter due to their arctic environment. With the humans heing the only race that can be both.

In short, I over thought everything Nexon was trying to do and came up with a cool element to add in one of my shows.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 18, 2017

That's exactly the point @Blissfulkill. Elves are from an arid place meaning that it would make more sense for the elves to be darker than lighter.

The irony lies that if Nexon wanted to seperate skin color from races they should have made the elves darker only due to the arid environment and the giants lighter due to their arctic environment. With the humans heing the only race that can be both.

In short, I over thought everything Nexon was trying to do and came up with a cool element to add in one of my shows.

I was explaining how it was not racist, but perhaps scientifically inaccurate or accurate it is. Cannot say I know much about historical racial development in terms of typical features.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Twelie wrote: »
    Frosslass wrote: »
    So... what's the big deal with dark skinned elves?

some of us are dark skinned irl and would like our characters to reflect that, all the while being able to use the race (elves) we would like to use....at least thats my reason lol

I don't make my character really look anything like me. I just like dark skinned elves. Like... They're so cute.

Same, I'm white in real life but I really want to be able to use tan/dark-skintone for my elf main because well.. dark skinned elves are just beautiful.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    edited May 18, 2017
    I would say we need black elves, but I don't want to be confused with drow elves if I say black elves. Even though drow elves are good too.
    Zeo
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    if mabi had dark elves alinea wouldnt have started those 20000 pages of elf QQ

food for thought
    AlmostNotsuper
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Xiokun wrote: »
    I would say we need black elves, but I don't want to be confused with drow elves if I say black elves. Even though drow elves are good too.

??? Drow elves????
  • ZeoZeo
    Xiokun wrote: »

??? Drow elves????

Basically elves with dark gray/blueish skintones who usually have white hair... that's what drow elves are, anyway.
    WolfandWolf
  • ThatWaffleThatWaffle
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    I may be totally wrong but wasn't the original design for the gunner ace a female dark skinned elf? Then it was scrapped. 6iLeghusEe1vMraxQABIf9LrNGy5h.jpg

I read that a long time ago, about when gunner was first introduced.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Drow elves! @WolfandWolf

b85d46af19fb16778271091af263f5b5.jpg

dark_elf_by_njoo.jpg
    WolfandWolf
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    ThatWaffle wrote: »
    I may be totally wrong but wasn't the original design for the gunner ace a female dark skinned elf? Then it was scrapped. 6iLeghusEe1vMraxQABIf9LrNGy5h.jpg

I read that a long time ago, about when gunner was first introduced.

Actually this was the design for Treasure Hunter
    TwelieZeo
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited May 18, 2017
    Regardless, there is no reason for them to keep away dark skin but give us black hair.
    Lore isn't the issue.
    I think GMs just need to tell mabi-team to give us dark skin and we would most likely get it.
    Been asking for this for years.
    XiokunZeoSphyra21
  • PepperLimePepperLime
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Kaga wrote: »
    Regardless, there is no reason for them to keep away dark skin but give us black hair.
    Lore isn't the issue.
    I think GMs just need to tell mabi-team to give us dark skin and we would most likely get it.

Doubt it. People wanted commas for gold for years now still haven't gotten it.
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    I'd love to have medium to dark skintones for my elf. She'd be awesome if she did! See?

e913012ebf396a8d9cf625e8a9160d12.jpg

Ignore the tuan headband and wings.
    Also, still waitin' for this ponytail to be implemented W/o the animal ears
    Zeo
  • ZeoZeo
    r21gtd.png

I really want to get the brown-grayish skintone on my main (which is an elf) that humans and giants have... so it'd be nice to actually get the options for all the skintones.
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited May 19, 2017
    PepperLime wrote: »
    Kaga wrote: »
    Lore isn't the issue.

Doubt it. People wanted commas for gold for years now still haven't gotten it.

I mean, they were able to give elves black hair because so many people complained and it actually WENT thru over there at Nexon HQ.
    So I expect the same thing for this case.
    I also want the reddish-brown skin tone (that humans have)
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    Genjitsushugisha%2Bno%2BOukokukaizouki%2B-%2BVol%2B2.png
    yep, Darker skinned elf is cute indeed
    ZeoSphyra21justshowing
  • ZeoZeo
    Going to post few arts I've received from people (because I always request my main character Zeo to have dark skin) and I can indeed agree that they look a LOT better with darker skintone...

2rwomwy.png

wwbw2t.png
    GretaSphyra21