Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Nexon Launcher or Steam

Dcat682Dcat682
Mabinogi Rep: 880
edited May 19, 2017 in General Chat
I started playing Mabi a few weeks ago from Steam, but I've seen a few posts from this forum about the Nexon Launcher.

Is one better than the other? If there is which one's best and why is it better than the other?
  1. Which is better?34 votes
    1. Nexon Launcher
       21% (7 votes)
    2. Steam
       41% (14 votes)
    3. Neither
       38% (13 votes)

Comments

• NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    In my experience the Steam version is better. Nexon Launcher sometimes has a few bugs and advertises other Nexon games plus it is kind of a computer hog. Steam is cleaner and does not use up as much computer power. When I use Nexon Launcher on my laptop my game is has more lag then usual and I use the Steam version on my desktop with almost no issues.
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Yeah I used the Launcher back when it first came out and it was a nightmare to use, would take forever to launch Mabi and as was said above, I've heard it still has its issues. I use Steam now and it's just a lot easier. If you're playing on an older computer, I definitely wouldn't recommend the Launcher.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 20, 2017
    Probably i'm the rarest kind of person here because i use Nexon Launcher for over a year now and i never NEVER had any problems with it. I must be lucky or my laptop is not that potato after all even though hes like 5 years old by now.
  • FoxgirlkatieFoxgirlkatie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,055
    i picked steam for the simple fact. its alot more stable. ive noticed with the launcher. it has bugs. and sometimes due to my crashing issues when the game suddenly ends. the launcher sometimes recognizes the games still running. thus requireing me to completely restart my computer and its a huge annoyance. sadly im forced into using the NL because steam for some reason gives me a error when trying to load mabi.

but hopefully all my crashing, steam, frame rate, issues will POOF. when i get my very first high end gaming computer in a few weeks.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I'd rather none, but between the two, I'd rather Nexon Launcher only because I can just close it as soon as I load Mabi. I don't know if you can do the same with steam tho.

Still more work than needed.
  • Dcat682Dcat682
    Mabinogi Rep: 880
    Thanks for the response guys :D
    You've pretty much helped me decide to keep using Steam to launch Mabi.
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Honestly I prefer direct launch (too bad they removed it).

I couldn't play Mabi on Steam for some reason, so I use the launcher, though it does sometimes get buggy. Ex: when you crash and try to re log the launcher tells you that you are online when you are not, and you have to restart the launcher.

Try one and if it doesn't work out how you want it, switch to the other.
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    I want my direct lunch back.
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    I can't use the launcher, so I have to use Steam, which never knows I've logged out of Mabi. I have to log out of Mabi, close Steam, restart my computer, and log back into Mabi through Steam TT_TT

Greta wrote: »
    Probably i'm the rarest kind of person here because i use Nexon Launcher for over a year now and i never NEVER had any problems with it. I must be lucky or my laptop is not that potato after all even though hes like 5 years old by now.
    I guarantee my potato is more of a potato. I am way below the minimum system requirements and my computer is about four years old (I'm guessing - could be more).

• Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    I unfortunately can't use steam because it's not on the EU steam store, but I would use it in a heartbeat. The nexon launcher is quite a nightmare to use, and doesn't even work half the time in my experience (it seems it opens a cmd.exe process as part of its launching, but this process often hangs and has to be force closed)

That said, I really wish they just gave us direct launch back, because it always worked reliably, but thats nexon for you.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I get an error message about my graphic card, and I can still play with max settings. That being said, Steam has much more functionality beyond Mabinogi. Steams is the largest proprietor of PC games on the internet, from indie titles like Undertale to AAA titles like the Batman: Arkham series.

• AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Steam has more function(and is much easier to add NX through), but the Launcher is pretty responsive and more convenient when needing to just get in as fast as possible.

As a note, the NxL can be closed out and exited after launching the game, so if resources are an issue, you need only do that to mitigate what gets used.