Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How many more years do you think Mabi has left?

xDerpxxDerpx
Mabinogi Rep: 990
in General Chat
Mabinogi is like my second home. Played it during beta and from time to time ill come back to mabi. But player base is decreasing which means mabi wont be making much money to keep it running. I'd hate to see that day come but it's bound to happen.
  1. Years left until mabi shuts down133 votes
    1. 1-5 year
       54% (72 votes)
    2. 5-10 year
       26% (35 votes)
    3. 10-15 year
       4% (5 votes)
    4. 15+ year
       16% (21 votes)

Comments

• ShiftixShiftix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,120
    I probably wouldn't give it too long into 2020 to be quite honest. The powercreep has come to an untamable high, not enough content is coming out, the game is old and outdated, and it's become pay to win. The game will die with people playing since beta, but surely much of the playerbase has died already.
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    Game is not as dead as one may believe, having seen multiple dying MMOs in the past.
    I've seen games with playerbases of less than 100 still live even now, if one can even call it living.

As long as players exist and things are bought, I don't see mabi going down for many years.
    GretaYellowBinSherriBerryswirlImaizumiAlexisEUKaiwyth
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    On its current Engine, I see the 4-8 years left before the game is either remade on a better engine or something is done to upgrade the current.

As far as an IP, like Nilrem said, so long as there is a playerbase, the IP will live on.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    the population is still the same, the problem is that the more "pro" a player become the more antisocial will be, because they will do everything solo, there is no reason for this game to die unless kr stop releasing content.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 25, 2017
    Depends. US server? I won't say, but I feel it is imminent in years.

Japan and Korea will probably still be operating long after. If you are talking about virtual reality and such, those are mainly just a painful to play fad, as is the movement based controls before it. (Seriously? I don't want to #$@!ing move my entire body, that is too much work.) In any case, the graphics are not as painful as World of Warcraft, as it is harder to compare animations styles and graphical advancements. At this point, there may be a peak for normal and high quality graphics, just as we usually do not go over 60 frames a second. Not sure.) I am not sure if we are getting anything on SAO's level, but I won't hold my breath till the next ten years if Kurzweil's prediction can be taken as accurate.

That being said, Peria Chronicle is coming up. The general notion that a Massive Multiplayer Game will ultimately die on graphical power alone is pretty inaccurate.
    Twelie
  • SutaruSutaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    Honestly I think Mabinogi is still making bank off of the cash shop sales. Until that starts to decrease I don't see any reason to why they would shut it down. Its probably the main reason as to why it is still up and running.
    badnewsbarrettPandaninjaGretaYellowBinSherriImaizumi
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    edited May 25, 2017
    Yeah I think as long as they're making cash, the game will stay up. I do agree that it feels more like it's becoming pay to win every day but as long as someone is paying... Plus while I agree people are leaving no doubt, there are still old players returning or making new accounts.

And then you have the people who claim they're gonna sell all their stuff off and leave but they either 1.) can't get the stuff to sell so they're here until they do for who knows how long, or 2.) they sell their stuff and stay anyway after. I see this happening a lot, at least on Tarlach.
  • MatchlightMatchlight
    Mabinogi Rep: 625
    Pannya wrote: »
    the population is still the same, the problem is that the more "pro" a player become the more antisocial will be, because they will do everything solo, there is no reason for this game to die unless kr stop releasing content.

^This. I came back for the first time in about a year the other day and said "Screw it, I'm gonna play like a noob because that's when I had the most fun." I redressed myself, changed my active talent to cooking (Not that cooking is less than any other talent; I just hadn't spent much time with it) and just started doing simple things. In the first day I had three different people approach me with random things: a regular conversation, help with fusion bolt, stuff like that. I can guarantee you that if I had stayed how I was, and outside of anything that I would have initiated myself, that would be more interaction then I would see in a month.
    Kedir
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited May 25, 2017
    I'm surprised they don't just release new races instead of trying to cater to high level people. Sure you can be a jack of all trades but you can't be every race in the game. If they added some fancy new race every year or so, that might entice some people to switch and commit to another character. Other mmo's do the same thing but with classes usually. Though it's probably too late to do this now lol they should have started this trend back when iria was released.

That all being said, I think the game has a lot of players still and a number of which still drop a pretty penny on things like gacha. I doubt the game will die within the next couple years but anything beyond that is simply unpredictable imo.
    badnewsbarrettPolicromaZarozianSylviaWolfe
    Liyeta wrote: »
    This is not really possible. Unless its just a head change or some effect. New race means redesigning every single clothes in mabi, which is more than 1000 outfit

I feel like if they were to do this, they would just release new clothing instead of updating old ones, and just kinda mix and match which race gets what in terms of new clothes in gachas and stuff, if that makes sense.
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    I'm sure if DevCat fixed the ridiculous RNG Loot tables for Dungeons so players actually get good rewards for their hard work, the game will do fine for many more years.

DangerousDitchGreta[Deleted User]ArchdukeValeCortezBerryswirl
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited May 25, 2017
    Not really, you just model it once, and use the builtin features of your favorite 3D modeling program to add//subtract it across every appearance option, only have to start from scratch once. They probably use tablets anyways so can model waaay faster than a mouse-user. That and any professional will know how to use all of the automation features rather than simple mesh modeling and the 'export' button

These features have been available for like 20 years :)
  • Goldtiger01Goldtiger01
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,515
    edited May 25, 2017
    If Mabinogi keeps releasing content regularly, I'd say it AT LEAST has another 10 years left in it.
  • DangerousDitchDangerousDitch
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Stolias wrote: »
    I'm sure if DevCat fixed the ridiculous RNG Loot tables for Dungeons so players actually get good rewards for their hard work, the game will do fine for many more years.

WooWee! That sure was a grueling half hour dungeon run (ignoring the time it took to even get an advanced pass)! Take this gathering knife!!
    badnewsbarrettSylekArchdukeValeCortezSherriImaizumiSylviaWolfe
  • EvielickyEvielicky
    Mabinogi Rep: 970
    BumbDitch wrote: »
    Stolias wrote: »

WooWee! That sure was a grueling half hour dungeon run (ignoring the time it took to even get an advanced pass)! Take this gathering knife!!

lmao no kidding

ArchdukeValeCortez
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I'm not saying they are bad, but because of changes they make that let people train and level super fast and easy, I don't think new players will hold as strong attachment to this game or their characters as older players did for their years of hard work and effort.. The playerbase will keep shrinking as people "beat the game" and move on. There is also almost no, if any, advertisement for this game. I don't think many people even know this game exists, yet everyone knows about games such as Runescape.

With stuff like the above, Nexon will end up doing to Mabi like they did to DFO sooner than later. Before, I would have said 10+ more years, but now I am doubtful. I don't trust Nexon NA anymore at least. pmZmfex.png

I don't really care if people disagree with that, it's just my POV. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Pan
  • mochibimochibi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,380
    edited May 26, 2017
    lmao i started playing last year when they had the fate/zero events. and I have been suckered into buying almost every event shop item. ||D I haven't even hit accu lvl 1000 yet and i've probably already spent close to 300 dollars. it will kill me a lil bit inside if the game shut downs asjdkfjaalkdfa
    (i am weak to pixel gachas aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)
    badnewsbarrett
    mochibi wrote: »
    lmao i started playing last year when they had the fate/zero events. and I have been suckered into buying almost every event shop item. ||D I haven't even hit accu lvl 1000 yet and i've probably already spent close to 300 dollars. it will kill me a lil bit inside if the game shut downs asjdkfjaalkdfa
    (i am weak to pixel gachas aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

I understand that, I've been here about 3 years and I know I've spent somewhere over $100 on gachas, outfits, and pets. I just sorta realized it's easier to buy with gold, especially with how unlucky I am at gachas. Just sucks when some things end up 100m+ in gold, those ones I can't get basically until they're rereleased XD
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited May 26, 2017
    Seeing as the original everquest is still running, I think it's only an issue as to whether or not Nexon feels money can still be made. As long as they see it as profitable, Mabi isn't going anywhere. That is that. Everything else is just random people speculating.
    Berryswirl
  • SylekSylek
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    Mabi is one of my favorite mmorpg's and probably the only one I've actually stuck with, though I have spent some time away from it. Player retention is slipping in my opinion, and you don't regularly see a new wave of players. The most advertising I can think of is when you look through your Steam queue and see Mabinogi or a friend on Steam is playing it.
    Sai wrote: »
    I'm not saying they are bad, but because of changes they make that let people train and level super fast and easy, I don't think new players will hold as strong attachment to this game or their characters as older players did for their years of hard work and effort.. The playerbase will keep shrinking as people "beat the game" and move on. There is also almost no, if any, advertisement for this game. I don't think many people even know this game exists, yet everyone knows about games such as Runescape.

With stuff like the above, Nexon will end up doing to Mabi like they did to DFO sooner than later. Before, I would have said 10+ more years, but now I am doubtful. I don't trust Nexon NA anymore at least. pmZmfex.png

I don't really care if people disagree with that, it's just my POV. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nexon NA is actually my bigger concern as I've been trying to join a guild on this return, only to find that the guild I applied to expired shortly after. Basically, I'm stuck in a guild limbo. Not part of the guild I applied to, but can't join others. People have had this issue for a month and Nexon NA is still "looking into it". It actually makes me wonder how many of them know how to code and fix stuff and how many of them just translate and add content.
    I'd love to see Mabinogi continue on for years to come, but I do wonder if Nexon NA feels the same way.