Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Returning Player. Worried about population

DootLordDootLord
Mabinogi Rep: 510
edited June 8, 2017 in General Chat
Heyo.

New player here coming back after a many year break. Never experienced much of the content but want to see it all now!!

I'm worried about the population though. I rarely see people around and I only see a reasonable amount of people in dunbarton. It's got me really torn on if I should invest in the game or not...

How are people feeling the game is going? It could easily be a case of I'm looking in the wrong place, but I only see channel one busy and I swear it used to be at least three channels were busy when I used to play.

Many thanks!

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    What server are you?
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    edited June 8, 2017
    It's early morning on a Thursday(Well, now it's maint) Also depends on your server. Different servers have different "main" channels and also different peak times depending.

There's really only reasons to go to very few places, as well. Dunbarton, Belvast, Tir, and SM gates are probably going to be the most busy.

Edit: There definitely are people on Alexina. Me being one of them.
    Gretavioletkitt
  • DootLordDootLord
    Gaea wrote: »
    What server are you?

Alexia.

Heard it's the most popular out of the four, is it not?

Feel fine playing so long as I know that there are definitely people around that I can talk to and do things with at all kinds of levels.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Channel's 1 is the market channel and main hub for Alexina, and its most populated areas are the market areas of Belvast and Dunbarton, the mainly social circle of Tir Chonaill, and the Shadow Altar for Taitalleann and to a lower extent Tara, with the Girgashiy raid board usually being occupied at around the time it restarts (Though by the same people), and event areas when they occur.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    DootLord wrote: »
    What server are you?

Alexia.

Feel fine playing so long as I know that there are definitely people around that I can talk to and do things with at all kinds of levels.

There are plenty of players around. I assure you. We're undergoing maintenance atm, a lot of players don't bother logging in when they know they will just be booted off.
  • DootLordDootLord
    Many thanks for all the replys!

I think I'll go on with it!

In this case, are there any tips you'd like to share for a lil ol' newbie? :P I wanted to go into magic initially but after seeing how difficult it is for a newb I'm going down the generic combat route for now.
  • TwelieTwelie
    In this case, are there any tips you'd like to share for a lil ol' newbie? :P I wanted to go into magic initially but after seeing how difficult it is for a newb I'm going down the generic combat route for now.
    It's as easy as ever to reset and train skills with difficult requirements, so I'd just say look into what you want to do and try it out. If you need help with magic or even just general tips, I'll add you and help you out.
  • FrosslassFrosslass
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    I will say this, MMO's arent as populated as they used to be in their "wonder years" the market is saturated with F2P MMO's with Nexon having about 4. So even if every person in the world only played Nexon games, they still have Mabinogi, Maplestory, Vindictus, Riders of Icarus, and soon Lawbreakers. And thats just to name 4 of the games nexon has, not to mention all of the other companies with much more games.

So while its okay to worry about population most games are fine if you just join a guild or a group of players to do things with, you dont need 10000 people to have fun on the game, a good guild will help you enjoy your stay. For some of us who have been playing for 5+ years, we've seen the decline, yknow for a while Alexina was drawing more traffic cause new players would see "New" on the server and join it. On top of the other factors of why you may see low population (peak times and such).

Its a F2P MMO, come back, enjoy the game, its fun and unique dont be discouraged, if you dont like it take another long break, a lot of us do and with memento update coming soon the population will see a rise for a few weeks then drop again its just the MMO Cycle

TLDR; Come back, the game is fine in population especially on alexina server

(Sorry for long post lol))
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    What server are you?

Alexia.

Alexina does have the best and largest player market. I have heard great things about Mari server as well but the player market is smaller and prices are way higher. channel 4 and channel 5 and sometimes 6 great social channels on Alexina.
  • DootLordDootLord
    Twelie wrote: »
    It's as easy as ever to reset and train skills with difficult requirements, so I'd just say look into what you want to do and try it out. If you need help with magic or even just general tips, I'll add you and help you out.

Thanks dude! I'd love to get into Magic. It just seems that Combat seems much more viable as a brand new player. If you could help me figure out how to go about getting there that'd be great!
    Twelie
  • ShireAccel913ShireAccel913
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    Hi,
    If you are planning begin in mage i have some advices for u:
    Regardless your race, train first heavy armor mastery (and/or shield M too) to get more survivality
    Second, get a fire wand casting+4 (or train one) and rank up firebolt and magic wep mastery r1
    That is the best way to begin in mage now (at least for me)
    Forgot for a while the intermediate magic, they are quite expensive and cost too much mp for a beginner
    Focus in bolts (and fuse bolt too) and gain mana points to fight for long battles
    Rank up meditation and inspiration and learn basics of bolt combat :D
    When u got bunch of APs (+500) u can maybe begin with thunder (cheapest)
    GL
  • NamiriNamiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,700
    edited June 8, 2017

Thanks dude! I'd love to get into Magic. It just seems that Combat seems much more viable as a brand new player. If you could help me figure out how to go about getting there that'd be great!

While it may be easier these days to train skills, Magic is still a massive AP investment. That and unlocking the Int Magics can be a bit of a pain for someone that didn't get far in the game due to all the page farming you need to do to unlock them. So you're technically right in a way about Close Combat being a bit easier for someone brand new to get into. Seeing as it's not such a large AP sink and the skills are easier to unlock. But if the difficulty in getting started with Magic doesn't deter you then the advice the others are giving you should be of great help.
  • TwelieTwelie

It's definitely a good base, and is easier to train for sure.
    Add me!
    Ign: Tokku
  • TwelieTwelie
    edited June 8, 2017
    Namiri wrote: »
    While it may be easier these days to train skills, Magic is still a massive AP investment. That and unlocking the Int Magics can be a bit of a pain for someone that didn't get far in the game due to all the page farming you need to do to unlock them. So you're technically right in a way about Close Combat being a bit easier for someone brand new to get into. Seeing as it's not such a large AP sink and the skills are easier to unlock. But if the difficulty in getting started with Magic doesn't deter you then the advice the others are giving you should be of great help.

Of course. I say this also because I'm willing to help every step of the way, I hoard pages and stuff.

I really like helping new players :^D
    Edit: oops, thought I was editing to add to my other comment, not a double post :^(
  • DootLordDootLord

Of course. I say this also because I'm willing to help every step of the way, I hoard pages and stuff.

Edit: oops, thought I was editing to add to my other comment, not a double post :^(

Many thanks for willing to help me out!

I've gotten a few bolt skills to rank 1 (Ice and Fire) however I'm wondering what else I can do to further increase my power. My biggest issue is charge times. Combat can just go in and start swinging, whereas I have to charge my bolts one by one... Unless I choose to use a fire wand and then I've gotta pay 7k per point of durability. It's madness! I've currently got a returned player staff that give's me a huge Int bonus, but it also means I've gotta charge each bolt.

I've heard that the intermediate spells simply outweigh the bolt spells and that thunder should be my go-to spam spell after my bolts, with my fireball being used as a nuke. Does that sound about right? I'd just like to stay on par with my combat friends is all :(

Lastly, is training music alongside Magic my go-to secondary talent? Or should I spec into somthing else.

Many thanks!
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175

I've gotten a few bolt skills to rank 1 (Ice and Fire) however I'm wondering what else I can do to further increase my power. My biggest issue is charge times. Combat can just go in and start swinging, whereas I have to charge my bolts one by one... Unless I choose to use a fire wand and then I've gotta pay 7k per point of durability. It's madness! I've currently got a returned player staff that give's me a huge Int bonus, but it also means I've gotta charge each bolt.

I've heard that the intermediate spells simply outweigh the bolt spells and that thunder should be my go-to spam spell after my bolts, with my fireball being used as a nuke. Does that sound about right? I'd just like to stay on par with my combat friends is all :(

Spam CC+4 my friend. easy 10k+ per shot. A mage's best Dps.

05531f8a.gif
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 9, 2017

Lastly, is training music alongside Magic my go-to secondary talent? Or should I spec into somthing else.

Many thanks!

You may want to use Fire Wand with a Chaincast upgrade of +4, which allows you to instantly cast a fully charged Firebolt of 5 charges on just one charge. Said upgrade can be gotten from Lassar I believe after having sufficient proficiency on said wand. It only works for Firebolts if it is a Firewand, and does not work for any other spell regardless of elemental, including Fireball.

Spellcast is a usable skill, that grants you a sort of buff that allows you to instantly charge one spell to five charges, regardless of whether it it is the intermediate Spells of Fireball, Thunder, or Ice Spear, or the bolts. I suggest using Spellcast on Int magic.

I believe Advance Magic can only be casted via a staff, but they don't work on a charge system like the Intermediate spells and bolt magic.

-Hailstorm is a skill where you stand still and generate a storm, which grants you the ability to hurl giant spiked balls of hail at your opponents while letting you "charge" it within a few seconds to five, allowing you to spam it against opponents.

-Meteor Strike is a powerful, one hit fire spell, with both a physical and elemental fire damage in one package. It casts a meteor, hitting a large area, and leaves lava in the area of impact that damages opponents. However, it charges the slowest out of the Advanced Magic Spells and has a cooldown of 15 Minutes.

-Lightning Rod is a powerful lightning attack that blasts electricity in a linear arc with limited width in front of you. It has a cooldown of 30 seconds, but it is a very powerful attack, doing tremendous damage.
  • DootLordDootLord
    I've recently been gifted a Fire wand with CC+4. Holy wow it's great!

Now I've just gotta quest for my int skill pages, Many thanks for everyone who's helped me out!

My IGN is DootLord as well if anyone wants to meet up and cast some spells together :)

Thanks!
  • TwelieTwelie
    edited June 12, 2017
    Now I've just gotta quest for my int skill pages, Many thanks for everyone who's helped me out!

I have thunder 1, 2, and 5 if you want a shortcut :^>