Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is Mabiwiki completely broken for everyone

Comments

• MoonkaMoonka
    Mabinogi Rep: 730
    Personally, I'd take time to learn how to edit wikis if a new database was being made, and I'm sure other dedicated players would, too. I think the idea of making a new wiki should be taken into serious consideration. We can choose a leader, make a discord, be communicative, etc...
    Greta
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    edited June 8, 2017
    Guess its time to start a New Wiki.

I can start up a google Docs for folks if they want to start compiling info to help restart.
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    Stolias wrote: »
    I can start up a google Docs for folks if they want to start compiling info to help restart.

That's a TON of data if anything. Guess I can jump into my image archives and find the sprites that I had captured and put them on standby.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    If another wiki start up is going to seriously be done, I suggest finding someone who plays the game already and can read Japanese. The Japanese Mabi-wiki is fairly complete so if you can reference them properly you should be able to get a lot of the information our's has.
    Mhaol
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    edited June 8, 2017
    Did someone say "read Japanese?"

-pokes head in room-

XD
    Namiri
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    LOL THAT TIMING!
    http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/
    IT LIVES
  • NamiriNamiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,700
    edited June 8, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »
    If another wiki start up is going to seriously be done, I suggest finding someone who plays the game already and can read Japanese. The Japanese Mabi-wiki is fairly complete so if you can reference them properly you should be able to get a lot of the information our's has.

Well technically it's still possible to get the majority of info from the English wiki even though it's currently down. Although perhaps a bit tedious. Though surely better than nothing. Either way for pages that won't even partially work at the moment you can manually search for them on Google and click the arrow to the right of the link to access a cached version. It's what I've been doing when I need to look something up since the wiki broke. Even if the admins of that wiki want to lay claim to the images on there they technically can't lay claim to the info/data. Given technically as you pointed out one could even grab such info from foreign wikis.
    Greta
  • NamiriNamiri
    edited June 8, 2017
    I don't usually double post but this seemed to be important enough news to warrant such a thing. So that I could bring it to people's attention quicker.

The admin of the wiki has made a post on the Facebook page for the wiki explaining what happened in regards to the wiki breaking. Here's what they had to say:
    So the harddrive was suddenly full again and it tripped up the database. I had to clear some space and repair it. That said, it wasn't just logs this time, the wiki is actually outgrowing its home.

This is troublesome because I don't get almost anything from ad revenue, no one donates, and the next tier is 90$/mo instead of 50$/mo.

I'll do what I can to clear up more space, but if it really continues pushing the limit I'll have to start considering other options.

https://www.facebook.com/MabinogiWorld/posts/1559208800780158
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100

I can read Japanese too! /o/ Not extreme amounts like my friend @Yokkaichi though.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    You can donate here guys.

http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com

donation.png
  • NamiriNamiri
    You can donate here guys.

http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com

donation.png

Wouldn't it perhaps be better to post that info in the new thread I just made though? So that it doesn't just get lost amongst other people posting about their ideas for making a separate wiki and draws more attention to the issue at hand regarding the wiki.

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/4731/an-update-on-the-mabiwiki-situation

Also, did I maybe not word the title well enough to make it obvious/eye catching enough to people?

• BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Namiri wrote: »
    Well technically it's still possible to get the majority of info from the English wiki even though it's currently down. Although perhaps a bit tedious.

Mabinogier tried to do that and MWorld shot them down real hard.
    Namiri wrote: »
    I don't usually double post but this seemed to be important enough news to warrant such a thing. So that I could bring it to people's attention quicker.

The admin of the wiki has made a post on the Facebook page for the wiki explaining what happened in regards to the wiki breaking. Here's what they had to say:
    https://www.facebook.com/MabinogiWorld/posts/1559208800780158

If only he literally said anything anywhere two days ago. It's understandable that the drives are full (there are several hundred user pages that are never used after all), but seriously communication is key. Learn from the publisher your wiki's game is under.
  • NamiriNamiri
    edited June 8, 2017
    Mabinogier tried to do that and MWorld shot them down real hard.

Well I was only putting it out there as a suggestion in the event that the Mabiwiki possibly didn't end up returning.
    If only he literally said anything anywhere two days ago. It's understandable that the drives are full (there are several hundred user pages that are never used after all), but seriously communication is key. Learn from the publisher your wiki's game is under.

Well I'm just glad some folks were able to get ahold of them via Facebook I presume. So at least now the issue is being looked into and addressed.
  • KadalynKadalyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Ah okay there's a lot to address here.

Maybe you know or don't but I'm the current admin et al of MabiWorld. In terms of other staff, there are a few members on standby but it's mostly just Anemki doing any moderation and Angevon is still aroundish for administration. I have not played Mabi in about a year mostly due to school and such but I don't consider myself to have officially quit. I want to play again, I just haven't gotten back to it yet.

I do my best to check the wiki daily to make sure it's running okay but full disclosure I did not, apparently, check Tuesday or Wednesday. I had thought I did, perhaps it loaded that one time since it was technically an intermittent issue? I don't know. I only discovered the issue on Thursday, anyway, and fixed it within an hour I believe. You are welcome to call it a lack of responsibility or commitment if you like, that's probably fair, but I do feel like I put in the effort according to cost-benefit. It's not that I'm unhappy handling it or anything, not that I'd have anyone to hand it off to, anyway. None of the staff besides Anemki currently play Mabi, and most do not use the wiki regularly anymore. Additionally, all of my personal friends have quit Mabi besides one. I simply do not receive any reports anymore besides some on Facebook sometimes.

I have said it many times but I realize new players crop up all the time and the community is quite spread out. However, if there is a problem with the wiki, our Facebook page is where any information will be. Typically it's not possible to give updates through our own website (because the typical problem is that it's inaccessible). As soon as I know about a problem I will post there about it. So, if I have not posted there, I do not know about any problem.

In terms of contacting me, anyone is always welcome to contact me for any reason (besides like spam, obviously). You may contact me by messaging our Facebook account (not preferred) or by finding me on our IRC or on Discord (I just joined the Official Unofficial one, but I've been on the original for some time). Of course my nick is Kadalyn in those places.

To address our history with Mabinoger, there were two major complaints from our side. Firstly, there was a spider that was frequently crawling the wiki and mirroring its content and it was causing load issues, which understandably upset IJ. Secondly, MabiWorld has a copyright notice on it, Creative Commons, shown at the bottom. This is not for us as an organization, it is for contributors. It is our copyright yes so in terms of ownership blah blah, why we have it is because of the Attribution (and Noncommercial) restrictions on it. This means that all content that is copied from MabiWorld must also credit the contributors who contributed to creating that content, which Mabinoger was not doing. It is very unfair to the contributors who put so much time and effort into creating this content for them to go without the appropriate credit simply because it's not that visible to an average end-user. I am unaware of any issue regarding images. However, as stated, we didn't shut them down, we only shut down their crawler. We did ban Code from the IRC for being a , I don't really recall if he was banned from the wiki? I don't see anything like that in the block logs. I cannot speak for Khenta but I did have to reprimand Ikkisuki twice for his behavior during this event, it was one of the precursors to his dismissal. What Ikkisuki did was clearly and admittedly harassment and was not the least bit condoned by the rest of the staff. I believe our rapport with Mabinoger was relative amicable after this event subsided but perhaps I'm mistaken, or perhaps it wasn't well communicated. My understanding was that once MWW was back online after the crash people simply lost interest in editing Mabinoger. It was made clear during those three weeks (was it?) that Mabinoger did not have the resources to handle our load, as well, which I believe contributed.

In terms of our copying, MabiWorld was created before the release of Mabi NA specifically as a translation of Mabi JP wiki. Much of this was credited and indeed such credits still persist on pages on the wiki. I cannot know if all of it was; I doubt it, honestly, but not giving credit isn't a practice we continue. (This does not apply to content taken from Nexon, such as news posts, which are more or less fair game. I've even discussed this matter with Sabina. Crediting Nexon is unnecessary because they basically own all the raw content anyway.)

Mabi Team contacted us about linking with us for the in-game wiki but I have not heard anything since. It sounded good but we never got into the details.

@Greta HTML knowledge and the like is not required for editing the wiki. If you need any specific help, you can always let us know! http://forums.mabi.world/forum/3 is our forum for asking such questions. Additionally, we would be happy to help in real-time on IRC. Even if the people there don't really play Mabi or use the wiki anymore, most are knowledgeable about how to edit it. However, it's that we're happy to help people learn how to do it themselves, not do it for them. The IRC may be a little hostile about "do this for me"s.

@Buffalos I did not post on any forums and there are no other people with sysadmin rights. If someone claimed otherwise, they were lying.

I am open about how MabiWorld is run and I do try to communicate it, via Facebook mainly as mentioned, but if you have any specific questions you can always ask. Formerly, I would travel to the different communities to report things but I haven't put in such effort for a while now. It didn't seem to be appreciated much, honestly. People still make these same complaints no matter how much effort I put into it.

The primary issue with replacing us is the cost. Load, time, and money. Users do not realize how much money has gone into MabiWorld over the years, mostly paid by staff, and they have certainly taken it for granted. I have spent over $1500 myself (about 78% covered by ads, but they are no longer making a notable amount of money, and new wikis would likely not have the same footing, here) running MabiWorld and I know that Saiyr paid more per month than I do. The original server that IJ ran was funded by donations, as I understand it, primarily from the original staff. I'm sure he contributed some himself. I don't believe that those who so easily wish to replace us have any concept of what is required to do so. I do listen to all complaints that make it to me and I try to take them into consideration. If the Patreon goes well, my effort will only increase, as well. Til now, it's just really been people demanding/expecting perfection without any compensation, which is ridiculous.

I think I've addressed everything I saw in this thread. I don't check these forums often, but please, you are always welcome to come to me with concerns. I'm a lot more accessible than complaints have made me out to be.