Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Do the majority of mabi players use mods?

MrKaisirMrKaisir
Mabinogi Rep: 975
in General Chat
A lot of my friends use mod and I'm the only who doesn't. There's obviously a site that provides mods but I choose not to use it because maybe it feels like the right thing to do? Like they can just open a lot of mabi client with their alt acc and spam events to get items/sell them to make money which that saves a lot of time, not only that but other stuff that mods can provide too. I guess im a bit jelly? lol I dunno...

Comments

• EvielickyEvielicky
    Mabinogi Rep: 970
    you are not alone I don't use mods if that makes you feel any better :3

• TentacleTentacle
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,070
    To answer your question, I'd say yes. Too bad NA team won't review some of the most popular mods and make them officially supported, so people don't get thrown into the same bag as cheaters and hackers.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    I'd like aesthic mods tho.
    EXAMPLE wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Personally, I'm not gunna touch them since it's unofficial and U'd have to jump hoops to get them working+they need to be updated every new patch or ur game breaks. I'd rather not deal with the hassle. And potential compromise of my account. I've spent too much money on this game. :|
    GretaBlissfulkillHawkleafbadnewsbarrettImaizumiPolicromaTentacle
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 14, 2017
    No. If you wan't to get banned - be my guest. I see a lot of Mabinogi players using mods and i'm already having thoughts of reporting people who brag/mention about them having modded game in the middle of Taillteann Stonehenge/Dunbarton as a proof to make them get banned with all that chat screenshots. I hate when people disobey rules, get all advantages because of their careless behavior AND they are getting away with it, that's not fair at all.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Well, thanks @Rhey, for making me aroused this early in the morning.
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    edited June 14, 2017
    17661810_170992616754739_5818107589883330560_n.jpg

This is all forbodden.... No mods allowed in this simple house...

Treep
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    never have used mods for any mmo as most of them just feel like cheating. play the game the way it was built and accept the good and bad features. only weaklings need to cheat or gain a unfair advantage.
    Greta
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Never did and never will use mods unless they become an official feature , which I honestly think they should (at least limitedly). It's not nice to grant people access to things they shouldn't have about another player, even if it doesn't mean much - such as people accessing another's cp.

But the sheer possibility of improvement? I've heard of mods that can improve performance, which this game desperately needs, because guess who just doesn't give a damn about the players with older machines? In a curse-compatible game I once played you could make monsters display accurate stats instead of just percentages for their health and stuff, which just makes a game that much more comfortable to play. At least to some. These kinds of things are good changes.

Plus, NGS kicks whoever it wants anyway. Certainly doesn't work as intended.
    TweliebadnewsbarrettNekoLilyZeoPolicromaBeliah
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    Negumiko wrote: »
    play the game the way it was built and accept the good and bad features. only weaklings need to cheat or gain a unfair advantage.

But there are mods simply to improve performance. Some people need them to properly run mabi. That's why I wish they would look into a couple of them and see what they can do to help people. I don't exactly see things like that as "cheating".
    [Deleted User]
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    edited June 14, 2017
    I don't use them, though if I remember correctly, doesn't KR let their players use mods that's been approved by them?

And while I agree that some seem like they're cheating, I also agree with @Siodhan that I've heard some do help the game. Simple ones like adding zeros to gold amounts, or before they added the color code to the bottom of fixed dyes, there was one that would tell you what color a dye was, things like that. And like they said too, NGS just kicks whoever.

But you don't know where or who you're getting these mods from, so no way am I taking the chance of getting a virus, or potentially get banned. Check a few threads below, you'll see people have been reporting people who bot in Shadow Missions and stuff to spam for gold, and they're getting in trouble. To me, mods aren't worth it.
  • GretaGreta
    edited June 14, 2017
    Yes, some mods do improve games performance, but it also have perks like ability to see everyone's CP, no timer on dye/blacksmith and etc. mini-games, annoying unlimited/too frequent party ads in chat, no range on Kunai Storm skill (not sure about this one, but i heard a rumor about it and i also saw a guy few days ago who used insane range Kunai Storm on Desert Dragon from VERY far away and it seemed too illogical to me, because even arrows couldn't reach that range which he had that moment), no anti-spam pop ups so the player can spam the whole chat with no problems, no chat filters and so on. I learned about some of these advantages from other players and i also checked it out myself, but after they did NGS thingy i decided that it's time to say goodbye to mods because i really don't want to get in trouble and later get banned. So yeah, modding is basically cheating because you get a A LOT of advantages from it. Meanwhile, other players who don't use them have to stay behind because they are afraid to lose their accounts.
    PolicromaXiokun
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    Greta wrote: »
    Yes, some mods do improve games performance, but it also have perks like ability to see everyone's CP, no timer on dye/blacksmith and etc. mini-games, annoying unlimited/too frequent party ads in chat, no range on Kunai Storm skill, no anti-spam pop ups so the player can spam the whole chat with no problems, no chat filters and so on. I learned about some of these advantages from other players and i also checked it out myself, but after they did NGS thingy i decided that it's time to say goodbye to mods because i really don't want to get in trouble and later get banned. So yeah, modding is basically cheating because you get a A LOT of advantages from it. Meanwhile, other players who don't use them have to stay behind because they are afraid to lose their accounts.

The frequent party ads thing is actually a glitch that happens when you change to and from channels constantly. You simply make a party on, say, channel 1, then switch to a different channel, then come back to channel 1, and your party ad will appear frequently.
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    Are mods really that bad? For me Mabi has always been this fragile little game that stops working properly at the slightest breeze so I've never actually bothered touching them -plus I don't like the thought of getting banned- but my philosophy regarding games is that instead of being fair its their job to be fun. So if people are using mods that make Mabi more fun or help weed out the unfun stuff then sure, it's not like Mabi is a competitive game after all. If someone wants to make Nao dress all skimpy and have a big glowing sword or alter their UI to be less clumsy I see no reason not to let them.

Granted a few mods (multi-client mod) might cause some serious problems, but its not like mods as a whole should be disparaged just because a few of them -I can really only think of one of them actually- let you overinflated the economy. Otherwise I say let players have fun playing the game in ways not originally intended, so long as the player base is enjoying the game more because of it.
  • GretaGreta
    edited June 14, 2017
    Raishii wrote: »
    The frequent party ads thing is actually a glitch that happens when you change to and from channels constantly. You simply make a party on, say, channel 1, then switch to a different channel, then come back to channel 1, and your party ad will appear frequently.

Did that one. My ad was showing off only once every 5 minutes. Meanwhile, other party ads re-appeared every so 30 seconds ALL DAY. When i had mods i actually saw an option to decrease the time limit on party ad appearing and even ability for party to never close ever again, even when changing channels. Also mods give a ridiculous ability to change channel on the same channel you are already in, as example: if you are on ch5 and you want to get daily you can just hop on ch5 again and you get all your dailies and such with no problem. Geez, mods are so disgusting.
    it's not like Mabi is a competitive game after all.

Haha good one. People are even fighting for fashion stuff in here. I'm not even talking about reforges and end game gear, because this one is too obvious.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    Greta wrote: »
    Did that one. My ad was showing off only once every 5 minutes. Meanwhile, other party ads re-appeared every so 30 seconds ALL DAY. When i had mods i actually saw an option to decrease the time limit on party ad appearing and even ability for party to never close ever again, even when changing channels. Also mods give a ridiculous ability to change channel on the same channel you are already in, as example: if you are on ch5 and you want to get daily you can just hop on ch5 again and you get all your dailies and such with no problem. Geez, mods are so disgusting.

Depends on how many times you channel change. When I advertise, I do it 4 to 5 times and get a steady stream of my ad popping up. Every 5 minutes sounds like it's stretching the truth.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Are mods really that bad? For me Mabi has always been this fragile little game that stops working properly at the slightest breeze so I've never actually bothered touching them -plus I don't like the thought of getting banned- but my philosophy regarding games is that instead of being fair its their job to be fun. So if people are using mods that make Mabi more fun or help weed out the unfun stuff then sure, it's not like Mabi is a competitive game after all. If someone wants to make Nao dress all skimpy and have a big glowing sword or alter their UI to be less clumsy I see no reason not to let them.

Granted a few mods (multi-client mod) might cause some serious problems, but its not like mods as a whole should be disparaged just because a few of them -I can really only think of one of them actually- let you overinflated the economy. Otherwise I say let players have fun playing the game in ways not originally intended, so long as the player base is enjoying the game more because of it.

part of what makes mabi fun is work you have to put into it. there are a few skills or events that I dislike however I don't think using a mod to cheat or make it easier is a fair answer. so I don't see how getting away with cheating or doing less work is supposed to make things fun or fair. if I ever used mods I would feel bad for doing less work then other players and it is unfair to the players that actually put effort into the game and earn what they have.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited June 14, 2017
    Well, thanks @Rhey, for making me aroused this early in the morning.

giphy.gif
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    Negumiko wrote: »

part of what makes mabi fun is work you have to put into it. there are a few skills or events that I dislike however I don't think using a mod to cheat or make it easier is a fair answer. so I don't see how getting away with cheating or doing less work is supposed to make things fun or fair. if I ever used mods I would feel bad for doing less work then other players and it is unfair to the players that actually put effort into the game and earn what they have.

The first sentence is a false premise, it would be better to say 'part of what makes Mabi fun for me is the work I put into it'. Fun is subjective, and a lot of people might find doing certain things or having certain restrictions or layouts as being not fun. Mods are optional -as well as being discouraged- so none of that potential work is lost on you just by them existing for other people to use.

As for fairness, well that is largely irrelevant in Mabinogi. If this were a pvp focused game or a competitive game like First Person Shooters or Fighting Games then sure mods are bad because they ruin a fair contest of skill. Mabi's pvp is at best a tacked on side feature and at worst an already exploitable joke, so meh. Its not like there are leader boards (at least none that are still relevant) and most of the community agrees that this is practically a solo game with other people in it. Heavy reliance on rng, easy advantages able to be bought with real money, and constant buffs for newer players have already ruined all illusions of fairness in this game, and what we are left with is an already unfair game giving arbitrary or purchased advantages to players with little to no direct consequences on anything but a market place dependent almost solely on gachapon releases.

Adding mods to that mix isn't really going to throw things into disarray, and if someone finds it fun then that's just what they find fun. People play this game for different reasons, and since its not like you're not going to get wrecked by some filthy modder with an auto-aimer in a pure contest of skill I'm sorry but I just don't see the harm. The game isn't fair, it doesn't rely on fairness, and I don't see fairness as an ends to pursue in of itself. I know I probably shouldn't say something like 'its like using mods in something like skyrim' but seriously, for as casual and solonogi as Mabi is it is almost like using mods in something like skyrim. Something isn't bad just because it is unfair.

Then again I grew up when games still let you have cheat codes so maybe it is an age thing.
    badnewsbarrett
  • YianKutKuYianKutKu
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,700
    edited June 14, 2017
    Back when I had an awful computer (2010-2011), I was forced to use mods if I even wanted to play. I could go cook a pot of Kraft Dinner and eat a plate full in the time it took Tara to load without them, that's how bad it was.

Now that I have a better computer I can play a lot more reliably, but there's a part of me that wishes I still could use certain mods. I don't mod anymore since I've had this account since 2010, and I've put too much time and money into it to get banned for using a simple CP mod or a mod that puts commas into prices... but damn if I don't get tempted every now and then when I have to train a CP based skill and can't find any mobs that are "normal" and up because I don't know what my freakin' CP is... :/
    Twelie
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Using any third-party programs is against the Code of Conduct whether you like it or not... so even if you're using a harmless. Do that just change the texts and graphic to improve your lag in Mabinogi... it still violates their Code of Conduct.

I have never used the mods before and I don't plan to until NA Nexon decide to go and take the route that KR Mabi did and provide few programs/mods as an official thing to help reduce the lag.

If you still want to use the mod, be my guest but don't complain if NGS ended up kicking you off frequently and/or you end up getting banned because of the mods.
    GretaAeolys
This discussion has been closed.