Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Real Talk: The Gender Imbalance in Mabi

RheyRhey
Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
edited June 27, 2017 in General Chat
>Identical (M) ver is waaaay less valued than its (F) counterparts most of the time.
>(M) are mostly horridly designed compare to its (F) counterparts.
>(M) don't have access to as much skirts/S-Shorts variety as (F) has to pants and L-shorts.
>(M) has less trading leverage than it's (F) counterparts.
>Wings compliments (F) clothing's better than (M) counterparts.
>If RNG/Gender-Locked outfit boxes isn't a factor people will mostly take (F) outfits over it's (M) precedents.
>Gacha(ING or Cash shop) boxes has lower rates for (F) outfits compared to it's (M) counterparts most of the time.
>People spend more money and effort chasing skirts for it's rarity+selling value rather than actually wearing em.
>(F) has more better exclusive outfits than (M) counterparts.

The list can go on but I'll stop here.

tumblr_oq6a3bX9fw1w03plso2_500.gif

ps. Yes I'm (a little) salty I got laughed out of a 1:1 (M)->(F) trade deal. :(
  1. /Discuss46 votes
    1. Ladies if U feel my pain. Vote here.
       50% (23 votes)
    2. Bros if U feel my pain. Vote here.
       50% (23 votes)

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 27, 2017
    -First of all, I doubt you know for certain the actual RNG statistics for most of the Female and Male Sets.

-Second, female clothing is more sought after, and has been for years. Higher demand by a larger buyer pool with the gold generally drive up prices, versus the lower demand for males. (Which really only hurts people who play female characters versus the much cheaper Males) Thus, less trading power for male clothing in general, and female clothing are more sought after to make a buck.

To reiterate, there are simply more people interested in female clothing, thus increasing competition to buy a limited amount of said item.

That being said, I am not sure what to make of the claims I couldn't address.

-(M) are mostly horridly designed compare to its (F) counterparts

-(M) don't have access to as much skirts/S-Shorts variety as (F) has to pants and L-shorts.

-Wings compliments (F) clothing's better than (M) counterparts.

-People spend more money and effort chasing skirts for it's rarity+selling value rather than actually wearing em.

-(F) has more better exclusive outfits than (M) counterparts.

Mostly because besides the reselling habit, this seems a bit subjective, though I would agree.
    Maybe we just need better RNG rates?
    Rhey
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 27, 2017
    Most parts sound exactly like real life lol. And yes, i agree with you here. Few people also laughed at me when i tried to trade my Wiggling Fox Ears and Wig (M) for (F) one... :/ They said things like "Yeah i'll trade 100m for 20m". Seriously...? :( This is so stupid and sad, i don't even have enough words to describe this situation.
    PolicromaNegumikoRheyZeo
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Rhey wrote: »
    >Identical (M) ver is waaaay less valued than its (F) counterparts most of the time.
    >(M) are mostly horridly designed compare to its (F) counterparts.
    >(M) don't have access to as much skirts/S-Shorts variety as (F) has to pants and L-shorts.
    >(M) has less trading leverage than it's (F) counterparts.
    >Wings compliments (F) clothing's better than (M) counterparts.
    >If RNG/Gender-Locked outfit boxes isn't a factor people will mostly take (F) outfits over it's (M) precedents.
    >Gacha(ING or Cash shop) boxes has lower rates for (F) outfits compared to it's (M) counterparts most of the time.
    >People spend more money and effort chasing skirts for it's rarity+selling value rather than actually wearing em.
    >(F) has more better exclusive outfits than (M) counterparts.

1) It's entirely possible there are more female characters than males buying outfits, so demand will raise prices on F faster than M.
    2) Agree
    3) Sorta agree.
    4) See 1
    5) Agree
    6) See 1
    7) Where's your proof.
    8) See 1
    9) Agree
    Rhey
  • RheyRhey
    The thousands of gacha's I've done over the years always spit out more copies of (M) versions than (F). Plus when any new gacha comes out (F) outfits are more rarer and expensive to find on the mart while (M) versions are more readily available flooding the bargain bin of the mart.

A more easier example. Bassanio+Shylock+Antonio g15 combined won't hold weight to a g15 Portia alone. And there are less Portia on the mart than it's (M) alternative.

I know if I ever pulled a Portia back then when it was relevant regardless if I can wear it or not:
    REACTION wrote: »
    Cha-Ching.gif?format=500w
    badnewsbarrett
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited June 27, 2017
    The thousands of gacha's I've done over the years always spit out more copies of (M) versions than (F). Plus when any new gacha comes out (F) outfits are more rarer and expensive to find on the mart while (M) versions are more readily available flooding the bargain bin of the mart.

A more easier example. Bassanio+Shylock+Antonio g15 combined won't hold weight to a g15 Portia alone. And there are less Portia on the mart than it's (M) alternative.

I know if I ever pulled a Portia back then when it was relevant regardless if I can wear it or not:

something something the personal experience of one is not representative of the entire process. The personal experiences of a crowd also won't be exact, and they'll be more biased given this subject.
    Until NA starts giving out exact rates on gacha drops, this is going to be more speculation than anything.
  • FarseerarentaFarseerarenta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    edited June 27, 2017
    jeee...its almost like girls tend to like fashion a bit more than guys.

and as such are more likely to buy new outfits.

and as a result, merchants are more likely to focus on F outfits to resell for profit, while M, due to less demand is devalued.

this mirrors real world clothing/fashion industry.

theres going to be alot more M sittign on market for longer time due to less demand, and thus the slow decline in price until someone buys it.

while F is bought alot more often due to high demand, and often willing to pay more.

as for how the outfits look. thats personal preference, i've seen plenty of male outfits i think look better than F (plus i'm a bit tired of the sheer number of skirts, more pants please).

and your last point. yes there are more F exclusive outfits, cause as any clothign industry, or video game, can tell you through studies and statistics. F tend to sell more, and care more for visual appearance. while arguably M tend to focus more on effectiveness(which also carries to real life.......when you see a guy wear the same clothes they wore yesterday.....cause its "Comfortable".....its still dirty. change <.< )

theres a reason i'm always broke in any game i play, i'm constantly buying and dyeing my outfits.
    while my BF tends to sit on a gold stash cause he's happy with what he has (unless its some fancy weapon....which i can relate to....)
    YaorenRheyTwelie
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310
    I'll just be over here scooping up the unwanted/cheaper male outfits for my male character heheheheh
    BuffalosXiokunGakkuriaquaRheyhyaciinthWanderIust
  • KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    On the bright side, you can buy any 'very cool' looking male outfits for less than the price of a 'kinda okay' female outfit.
    GakkuriaquaDanievictriaRheyWanderIust
  • GakkuriaquaGakkuriaqua
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,870
    edited June 27, 2017

I don't think this is the best example because its a 1:3 ratio, so naturally there is going to be more of the latter. Also the g15 outfits came back quite a few times so there is a lot already flooding the market from before.
    But if you take for example the Frostblossom Dress/Mortello Suit and the Detective outfits; a 1:1 ratio they seem pretty even when it comes to drop rate and how many people have them.

The briullen outfits also seem even, however there is just a larger player base that plays female characters compared to male characters. With the basics of supply and demand.. well everyone else said it aha.

There is also the horrible mentality where "you have to get it just because its new" thats kinda embedded in a lot of people, so that doesn't really help with the prices of things either.

Also there is more F exclusive outfits but a lot have to do with npcs? Aside from bruillen and nuadha...
    Enn, lileas, Laighlinne and Millia that don't really have a male counter part.

otherwise most of the other female outfits do have a male counterpart
    Rhey
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    im mad the new gacha outfit all female stuff from the new content. that their isnt a male counterpart..... they could'a at least made it gender neutral.... specially the wig...
    the clothes being gender divided based on a different female or male design counterpart, doesn't kill me as much as clothes being entirely the same or weapons being gender divided. that aggravates me...
    and as a male player, im glad my clothes dont cost more like females, and i still get to enjoy the elunes.
    (im also made that anju's tail is female only, as i will always say i loves tanuki/raccoons. and that this is still not available for males)
    I also less love for not giving males booty shorts.and i dont mean the rolled up square knee biter pants you put on everything male... more like the eluned pants that came out the first eluned gacha
    DanievictriaRhey
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited June 27, 2017

Holy freaking crap please no more male short shorts. obviously you're not looking properly ... apparently you're not looking at all if you think males still need short shorts. A few more skirts, ok, if you're into that...as a joke... but I want more pants. it seems like most of the outfits from the last 2 years for males is short shorts
    Twelie
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    Sadly, this is true for any game with a fashion component: Male item choice is on the whole smaller than female, female-only versions of outfiits or outfits with a really awesome female model are always the most expensive on the in-game market, and people who play male characters have a harder time finding anything besides super-basics...and kilts are nearly non-existent. Meanwhile, female choices are more numerous and, if there's an in-game market, more expensive. So, it's basically do you want more choices but higher prices or fewer choices but lower prices?

...Though, I do agree on the pants thing. I have one female character and three males. The male special newbie outfits all have pants, but the female versions all have miniskirts. Can a sista get some pants? The type B female shoes are pretty tight, though...unlike the male ones.
    Rhey
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    If they made it unisex, I would be content. If I had the option to run around in a dress, I'd take it.
    RheyJunpaku
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    edited June 27, 2017
    In my account, I have two characters that I "main", one is male and one is female. I never have trouble getting "cool looking" clothes for my male, but I always have trouble finding "non skirt/dress" clothes for my female. :/ In terms of aesthetics, I guess overall the female clothes look better than males, but only if you're into dresses, skirts, and skimpy outfits. Otherwise, I would say that the male clothes are much better than the female, as females never get pants unless you splurge on the expensive Eluned outfits or get those jean/Tshirt "I love Caravan Joe" type outfits. I don't know. I think both could improve if you took swapped the two clothing styles more often (instead of just the occasional Eluned).

Female clothes tend to increase in price as they increase in skimpy-ness, I've noticed,
    Rhey
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited June 27, 2017
    Can't be helped.

Even in real life, female stuffs are quite pricier (and there are many kinds) as well. Plus, what girls and boys desire are quite different too so.....
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Doesn't help that there's also males playing as girl characters for the outfits, adding more into the pool, right?
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    When supply is low, prices go up. When demand is high, prices go up. When you get both together, things are really really expensive.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    Buffalos wrote: »
    something something the personal experience of one is not representative of the entire process. The personal experiences of a crowd also won't be exact, and they'll be more biased given this subject.
    Until NA starts giving out exact rates on gacha drops, this is going to be more speculation than anything.

I dunno... This is Rhey we're talking about. For all we know, his personal experiences may account for 80% of Mari's gachapon openings.
    RheySphyra21
  • RheyRhey

I dunno... This is Rhey we're talking about. For all we know, his personal experiences may account for 80% of Mari's gachapon openings.

Oh You.

UoF6jAm.gif
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 27, 2017

Indeed. He has like....30 to 40 Altered Ferghus hammers that were received from an NX Package which implied it was directly bought.

You get one hammer a package, and they cost 12,900 NX, or $12.90...

Rhey