Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Ruairi is pronounced Rory

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Xiokun wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    Ruuuurrrrrry. <w>

No no no. RAWREEEE. I might name my son this because of this thread.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY

ae0ebf327273572e32fe74eb05874776.jpg

I actually lol'd, thank you.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Ruuuurrrrrry. <w>

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY

<3

You can't name your son Rawree. Name your son RURRRRY. Emphasis on the R.
    Crimsọn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Ruuuurrrrrry. <w>

<3

You can't name your son Rawree. Name your son RURRRRY. Emphasis on the R.

Jesus. It it will be Roooreeeee! Get it straight man!
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

Honestly, right or wrong, I'm using Ru-Ai-Ri. Can't change that now.
    BuffalosAlmostNotsuperpawcalypse
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited July 5, 2017
    Sebastian wrote: »

giphy.gif

I care. Just sing it through your skulls a bit more. It will stick...unless you want to remain a weeaboo. =P

Just because I am using an anime gif does not make me a weeaboo.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795

giphy.gif

I care. Just sing it through your skulls a bit more. It will stick...unless you want to remain a weeaboo. =P

Just because I am using an anime gif does not make me a weeaboo

....seriously how does someone saying a name in a game with (basically) zero voice acting different from what you think/researched make them a weeaboo? There are multiple ways to pronounce the name across a few different texts and languages: let people pick the one they want to use in their heads or make up their own.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Buffalos wrote: »

giphy.gif

Just because I am using an anime gif does not make me a weeaboo

....seriously how does someone saying a name in a game with (basically) zero voice acting different from what you think/researched make them a weeaboo? There are multiple ways to pronounce the name across a few different texts and languages: let people pick the one they want to use in their heads or make up their own.

PijcGEU.gif
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    NekoLily wrote: »
    Is a Goidelic (Irish or Scottish Gaelic) masculine given name. It translates as “red king”. Its Gaelic pronunciation is 'roo-ree' or 'roo-ah-ree', with emphasis on the first syllable. In English, it is typically pronounced as Rory or Roo-ray.

So I'll go for the 'roo-ah-ree' (/Ru-Ai-Ri?).

Seems you've missed this. So, if we do want to get technical with the pronunciation based on Mabinogi's influence, you're wrong.

What a shocker.
    CarlizePolicroma
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    PijcGEU.gif

If all you can do is post a triggered gif in response to information that conflicts with your views this thread might as well be over.
    SebastianGretaCarlizeZeoSherriFweep
  • LokitinLokitin
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    edited July 5, 2017
    NekoLily wrote: »
    Is a Goidelic (Irish or Scottish Gaelic) masculine given name. It translates as “red king”. Its Gaelic pronunciation is 'roo-ree' or 'roo-ah-ree', with emphasis on the first syllable. In English, it is typically pronounced as Rory or Roo-ray.

So I'll go for the 'roo-ah-ree' (/Ru-Ai-Ri?).

This is correct. 'Ru-ah-ree' and 'Roh-ree" are both accurate, according to the pronunciation of these Irish Gaelic speaking folks: https://forvo.com/word/ga/ruairí/ (you can hear the slight "roo-ah-ree" pronunciation in the last one. Subtle, but it's there). And as we're all aware, Mabinogi is inspired by Irish mythology, meaning the Irish Gaelic pronunciation of names in the game are most authentic.

As I've been pronouncing his name in my standard American accent: "Ru-ar-ee" is like a very butchered americanized "roo-ah-ree" in my opinion, lol. There are so many odd names in Mabi, and I'm not terribly familiar with Irish pronunciation, so I think most of us butcher most names anyway since we read things from an English perspective.
    SebastianBuffalosSherri
  • PromesteinPromestein
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,185
    Buffalos wrote: »
    PijcGEU.gif

If all you can do is post a triggered gif in response to information that conflicts with your views this thread might as well be over.

b17cb1a22d55712b132529110a0e419c.png
    SebastianBuffalosBlissfulkillRaishiiXiokunGretaZeoWolfandWolfYokkaichiRadiant Dawnand 4 others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    gif war mabinogi edition
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    edited July 5, 2017
    Greta wrote: »
    (Also, please don't call everybody weeaboos. It might make someone upset. :T )

Right, some of us worked very hard to get the weeaboo title!

Honestly i find weeaboo word to be really insulting. I only prefer otaku. :|

I don't get why people think this way. The word weeaboo is too silly to be taken as an insult, even if it is intended to be insulting 90% of the time.

Also, forget Fashionogi. The newest trend is Linguistinogi. If you're still dyeing/collecting clothes instead of debating the proper pronunciations of the names of various characters in the game, you're playing wrong.
    FayeKaibaBlissfulkillDanievictriaPolicroma
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited July 5, 2017

Also, forget Fashionogi. The newest trend is Linguistinogi. If you're still dyeing/collecting clothes instead of debating the proper pronunciations of the names of various characters in the game, you're playing wrong.

giphy.gif

B-bu-but muh 1789452316 pieces of flashy clothing...Wut shud I do wit em?
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Rhey wrote: »

giphy.gif

B-bu-but muh 1789452316 pieces of flashy clothing...Wut shud I do wit em?

Time to make debates using nothing but flashy clothing. I know you can do it.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    This thread... So derailed...

VJSjap9.gif

pawcalypse
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    but Ru- Air- E is more fun to say :c

• RiiRii
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    Why does this thread flat out remind me of this...

BuffalosCarlizeKingEphySebastianpawcalypse
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    giphy.webp
  • KitsuyashaKitsuyasha
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,280
    tumblr_opt8na6YZI1r5h0r7o5_250.png
    Sherri
This discussion has been closed.