Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Ruairi is pronounced Rory

Comments

• ClovercodyClovercody
    Mabinogi Rep: 690
    My favorite thing about this thread.... Not one person has mentioned that Mabinogi is Welsh.

Which falls under the Brittonic/ Brythonic /British Celtic languages, so pronunciations would be more closely attuned to Welsh, Breton, and Cornish.
    the other branch is Goidelic, which is in tune with Old/Middle/Modern Irish Gaelic, Scottish, and Manx.

so bottom line.... If you want to know how to "properly" pronounce something..
    find out where it comes from and then choose what time in history you want to go with.

cause I will tell you right now, Ruairi will sound different from the time that the Mabinogi was first written, to these now modern times.

in other words...
    what language (which many are equally valid) are you going to choose?
    Welsh? Modern or bronze age?
    Korean? (it was developed in Korea, therefore whatever they would pronounce would also be correct)
    Irish? Modern or Ancient Irish?
    Scottish?
    etc etc.

Cause lemme tell you right now, some words I use the Korean pronunciation. Some I use the Ancient Irish. Some I use the Welsh, etc etc.

Why?

I am a historical reeanactor, who has spent many, many years in school and researching what I do. I hold demonstrations at various schools, public events, and Museums.

and at these demonstrations I talk about how the ancient Celtic and Gaulic and Norseman (Viking) people lived and interacted with all the other cultures during the "Viking era" which spans from the 8th century to the 11th. I sometimes touch on Bronze age which started around 2000 BCE

languages change over time. Proof in point, Weeaboo is a very, very new word. It came into existence in the 90's, when I was in highschool. I am a mom with a kid in highschool where he will see the creation of other new words where i'm going to in a few years shake my head at go "dude are you serious?" just like what my mom did with me.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    I just realize weaboo is both a cheer and a mockery
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Gaea wrote: »
    Eralea wrote: »
    Already knew the pronunciation of Ruairi, but I think it's great that the thread turned into this mess.

Do Cichol next

How are people pronouncing it? O_o

Anyway here, lets open the whole can of worms:

1. Neamhain: NAV-in
    2. Nuadha: NOO-ah
    3. Morrighan: Mo-Rih-gAHn
    4. Cichol: Chi-khol
    5. Ciar: KEE-ir
    6. Samhain: Saw-wen
    7. Mari: Mah-rhee
    8. Math: Mah
    9. Ruairi: Ro-ree
    10. Emain Macha: Ev-in Mok-ah
    11. Dunbarton: Duhn-bahr-tn
    12. Mabinogi: MA-bee-no-gi
    13. Tarlach: TAR-lach
    14. Caitin: Kat-een
    15. Aodhan: Aid-on
    16. Bebhinn: Be-VEEN
    17. Tir Chonaill: TEER KAW-nel
    18. Badhbh Cath: BAYV KAH-hah
    19. Sidhe Sneachta: SHEE SHNOK-thah
    20. Glas Ghaibhleann: GLAHS GEV-len

Well at least Ferghus has one easy to pronounce.
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Oh, and all this time I'd been pronouncing his name like "Roo" "Eiry".

This is like learning how "Math" dungeon is actually pronounced.
    Or that "Pihne" is more like fee-nay.
    Or that "Samhain" is "sah-WIN"!

How about Sidhe Finnachaid?

I've been pronouncing it like "Shee Pinaha", since I was told a while back the "Sidhe" is pronounced kinda like "shee" and "Pinaha" because... that's kinda how it was phonetically pronounced in the KR version.

How is "Eiry" pronounced?
    240px-Eiry.png
    http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Eiry
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Oh, and all this time I'd been pronouncing his name like "Roo" "Eiry".

This is like learning how "Math" dungeon is actually pronounced.
    Or that "Pihne" is more like fee-nay.
    Or that "Samhain" is "sah-WIN"!

How about Sidhe Finnachaid?

I've been pronouncing it like "Shee Pinaha", since I was told a while back the "Sidhe" is pronounced kinda like "shee" and "Pinaha" because... that's kinda how it was phonetically pronounced in the KR version.

How is "Eiry" pronounced?
    240px-Eiry.png
    http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Eiry

"eye-ree" is what I thought

Or maybe it's more like
    806b830e7d.png
    pawcalypseSherri
  • CrittenzCrittenz
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    My friends and I gave up on the pronunciations of things as well. Ruairi is Roo Are Eee. Tailtean is just Tail. Tir Chonail is Toenail. Gas Glabheanlkshflshf Is just Gibby. Shadow realm Glas is Gibby 2 and Girgashy is oftened refered to as Gibby 3 cause lazy.
    GretaBerryswirlBuffalosEraleapawcalypseSherriYokkaichiZeoWolfandWolfFweep
  • LokitinLokitin
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    edited July 6, 2017
    Clovercody wrote: »
    My favorite thing about this thread.... Not one person has mentioned that Mabinogi is Welsh.

While Mabi borrows its name from the Welsh Mabinogion, the settings in the game are inspired by Irish Mythology. Most of the names in the game are actually Irish (Gaelic)--Nuadha, Morrighan, Macha, Neamhain, etc. are all based on characters from Irish mythology...so the Welsh pronunciation technically wouldn't be as accurate.

Irish Mythology does pre-date "modern Irish" (cultivated around 1200-1600) so we may never know how the names were originally meant to be pronounced...however, because modern Irish is now the accepted (and only) Irish Gaelic in the current year, I'd say it's more accurate to base our pronunciations off of that. Otherwise we'd be arguing the only true way to pronounce English words is the Olde English way (or you could even keep pushing that back to as far as possibly known).

So again (just because posts like this were drowned by derailed posts), "Roh-ree" and "Ru-ah-ree" are both acceptable pronunciations according to Irish Gaelic.
    Lokitin wrote: »

While Mabi borrows its name from the Welsh Mabinogion, the settings in the game are inspired by Irish Mythology. Most of the names in the game are actually Irish (Gaelic)--Nuadha, Morrighan, Macha, Neamhain, etc. are all based on characters from Irish mythology...so the Welsh pronunciation technically wouldn't be as accurate.

Irish Mythology does pre-date "modern Irish" (cultivated around 1200-1600) so we may never know how the names were originally meant to be pronounced...however, because modern Irish is now the accepted (and only) Irish Gaelic in the current year, I'd say it's more accurate to base our pronunciations off of that. Otherwise we'd be arguing the only true way to pronounce English words is the Olde English way (or you could even keep pushing that back to as far as possibly known).

So again (just because posts like this were drowned by derailed posts), "Roh-ree" and "Ru-ah-ree" are both acceptable pronunciations according to Irish Gaelic.

We're lucky Gaelic/Gallic culture is only limited to 4 regions of W Europe in modern times, otherwise we'd have even more different pronunciations.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Do Cichol next

Waaay back in the day of the first forums (the ones before the last ones) there was a big "Seashoal vs Keyhole" argument. It's long gone now, but I was hoping to see it revived with the new forum generation.

Around the same time I started referring to all characters by their Anglicised names just because I'm an English Supremacist and love pissing off the minority language speakers of the British Isles. This is Aidan, this is Ronald, that's Lynette, that's Vivian, that's Anya and that's Dave. Generation 1 starts in Tyrconnell and is the story of how Terry, Rory and Mary failed to beat the easiest mainstream boss in the game. I've just returned from my world tour irl and need to go to Janet to demand my Royal Alchemist position back.
    Do Cichol next

Waaay back in the day of the first forums (the ones before the last ones) there was a big "Seashoal vs Keyhole" argument. It's long gone now, but I was hoping to see it revived with the new forum generation.

Around the same time I started referring to all characters by their Anglicised names just because I'm an English Supremacist and love pissing off the minority language speakers of the British Isles. This is Aidan, this is Ronald, that's Lynette, that's Vivian, that's Anya and that's Dave. Generation 1 starts in Tyrconnell and is the story of how Terry, Rory and Mary failed to beat the easiest mainstream boss in the game. I've just returned from my world tour irl and need to go to Janet to demand my Royal Alchemist position back.

More understandable than the US President.
  • ClovercodyClovercody
    Mabinogi Rep: 690

~sigh~

I like how you took just the first sentence and nothing else....
    I had no idea that I wrote that the names of most of the characters in a game made by Korea (who would use the Irish Gaelic pronunciation) were supposed to be Welsh in origin (not Irish)#sarcasam

the reason as to why I wrote anything is because....

"If you want to know how to "properly" pronounce something..
    find out where it comes from and then choose what time in history you want to go with."
    (as in where do you think the name/word comes from and then pick what time in history do you want to choose to use. "Modern" is also a part of the history timeline that many of my colleagues and other people use across the world and I was not clear on that and for that i'm apologize."

and also...

"cause I will tell you right now, Ruairi will sound different from the time that the Mabinogi was first written, to these now modern times.

in other words...
    what language (which many are equally valid) are you going to choose?"

Threads like this is why I feel tempted to post because I actually know a little about the subject, yet, threads like this is why I should never post anything.

Apparently because I am old and either only write research papers or dissertations, or extreme relaxed like posts on social media and what I thought to be relaxed posts on the mabinoigi game thread... I was not clear enough and for that I apologize.

Growing up it was taught to us early internet users that it was rude to quote just little snips of what someone said instead of the whole of what they said. The reason why it was considered rude is because little snips can easily be taken out of context without the whole of the thought.
    So if you did not mean to be rude then I misunderstood and I will just have to remember that whatever I post may get torn apart so I must always be very careful with each sentence and word.

I wrote what linguistics I use in the comfort of my own home ("some words I use the Korean pronunciation. Some I use the Ancient Irish. Some I use the Welsh, etc etc"). I never intended to come across that it was the only correct way.

Some of the words I use when I teach museum staff and curators, college professors, fellow archaeologists and scientists, and children of all ages and grades have to be researched, cross referenced, etc etc. I can't possibly use all the different pronunciations because then my hour long presentation takes twice as long and I will end up with a group of very bored kids

~sigh~

I like how you took just the first sentence and nothing else....
    I had no idea that I wrote that the names of most of the characters in a game made by Korea (who would use the Irish Gaelic pronunciation) were supposed to be Welsh in origin (not Irish)#sarcasam

the reason as to why I wrote anything is because....

"If you want to know how to "properly" pronounce something..
    find out where it comes from and then choose what time in history you want to go with."
    (as in where do you think the name/word comes from and then pick what time in history do you want to choose to use. "Modern" is also a part of the history timeline that many of my colleagues and other people use across the world and I was not clear on that and for that i'm apologize."

and also...

"cause I will tell you right now, Ruairi will sound different from the time that the Mabinogi was first written, to these now modern times.

in other words...
    what language (which many are equally valid) are you going to choose?"

Threads like this is why I feel tempted to post because I actually know a little about the subject, yet, threads like this is why I should never post anything.

Apparently because I am old and either only write research papers or dissertations, or extreme relaxed like posts on social media and what I thought to be relaxed posts on the mabinoigi game thread... I was not clear enough and for that I apologize.

Growing up it was taught to us early internet users that it was rude to quote just little snips of what someone said instead of the whole of what they said. The reason why it was considered rude is because little snips can easily be taken out of context without the whole of the thought.
    So if you did not mean to be rude then I misunderstood and I will just have to remember that whatever I post may get torn apart so I must always be very careful with each sentence and word.

I wrote what linguistics I use in the comfort of my own home ("some words I use the Korean pronunciation. Some I use the Ancient Irish. Some I use the Welsh, etc etc"). I never intended to come across that it was the only correct way.

Some of the words I use when I teach museum staff and curators, college professors, fellow archaeologists and scientists, and children of all ages and grades have to be researched, cross referenced, etc etc. I can't possibly use all the different pronunciations because then my hour long presentation takes twice as long and I will end up with a group of very bored kids

Kids these days...
    No wonder the govt wants to kill off PBS. Can't even find interest in documentaries.

Language transitions got complicated when Germanic groups started taking over the European continent.

I wonder how much original Gallic/Gaelic was still spoken during the height and latter stages of the Roman Empire. There's still so much we don't know, and so this thread exists in a way to explain the difference in pronunciation of some things. If the world can dig up the Gallic language, we'll probably be all mind-boggled.

Sadly, most of it is a lost language.

Most of us pronounce it the modern Anglo (Angle) way and others use the Korean/Romanized way.
    Clovercody
This discussion has been closed.