Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Real Talk: The Gender Imbalance in Mabi

Comments

• AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Most guys are pretty blockily-shaped even in person, so you never really see a lot of variety overall, though male chars in Mabi generally do have the advantage when it comes to armor aesthetics, or at least did for the longest time.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Greta wrote: »
    They need to give males a princess dress instead. :D

With all these dresses coming out I might not be the only giant wearing a dress everywhere anymore!
    AquasolWolfandWolf
  • TairikuTairiku
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,910
    Eh, not everything has to be a skirt or dress to be appealing. Plus, the vast majority of your reasoning is extremely subjective, like it is my subjective belief that there is a skirt fetish lurking about with how many skirt outfits get crapped out. There are definitely more female than male characters, probably a lot more, so you're gonna see a disparity lol.
    Twelie
  • justshowingjustshowing
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    PLEASE DON"T BRING SOCIAL JUSTICE OR GENDER STUDIES HERE

and sorry for the caps :c
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    edited July 2, 2017
    Twelie wrote: »
    jeee...its almost like girls tend to like fashion a bit more than guys.

and as such are more likely to buy new outfits.

yes there are more F exclusive outfits, cause as any clothign industry, or video game, can tell you through studies and statistics. F tend to sell more, and care more for visual appearance. while arguably M tend to focus more on effectiveness(which also carries to real life.......when you see a guy wear the same clothes they wore yesterday.....cause its "Comfortable".....its still dirty. change <.< )

Wanted to talk about this. It seems like you assume here that all female characters in game are also females in real life. (If not, sorry. That's just the impression I got.) That's definitely not the case. There are plenty of guys who play female characters. Plenty of female outfits are skimpy and appealing in that sense. It's less that girls "like fashion a bit more" and more that there are more female characters with people who care more for... various reasons.

I won't deny girls are definitely more into their own looks and the looks of other girls, but guys are into the looks of girls as well, probably over looking at other guys. I believe that is the biggest point. There's just way more demand for those three reasons.

Yeah I did...kind of...felt uncomfortable over the comment of "girls just like fashion more", because I didn't think that was quite the situation in the game, but I didn't know how to address that. I like how you worded it.
    Thanks. It bothered me as well, so I brought it up.

It's really not a gender issue in my eyes, as guys are going to care about the way their characters look too. they also want their characters to look cool, I'm sure. Just more of a supply and demand thing because there are more girl characters, not girl players. Of course people will choose a F outfit over an M outfit if it sells better and faster. Of course people will chase items for their selling value or rarity. (This isn't exclusive to F outfits. See wings.) Etc.

The whole "girl outfits are nicer" is entirely subjective, though. I have plenty of outfits I prefer the guy version of. And they do get plenty of shorts. Same with the wing thing. Skirts I can see where you're coming from but we're getting more Eluned stuff albeit low drop rates.
    WolfandWolfJunpakuTairiku
  • CrittenzCrittenz
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    Actually I'm a girl but I dispair that lack of outfits with pants. Guys get all the good ripped jeans and chains and girls get nada and don't get me started on the male only Hagi tail while girls get stuck with the stupid (IMO) Raccoon Anju outfit. So honestly I am a girl and have the opposite problem of you. I'd rather have more pants and less skirts as I don't like them IRL and don't wanna wear them in a game either.
    JunpakuTwelieTairikuXiokun
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    edited July 17, 2017
    Rhey wrote: »
    >Identical (M) ver is waaaay less valued than its (F) counterparts most of the time.
    >(M) are mostly horridly designed compare to its (F) counterparts.
    >(M) don't have access to as much skirts/S-Shorts variety as (F) has to pants and L-shorts.
    >(M) has less trading leverage than it's (F) counterparts.
    >Wings compliments (F) clothing's better than (M) counterparts.
    >If RNG/Gender-Locked outfit boxes isn't a factor people will mostly take (F) outfits over it's (M) precedents.
    >Gacha(ING or Cash shop) boxes has lower rates for (F) outfits compared to it's (M) counterparts most of the time.

>People spend more money and effort chasing skirts for it's rarity+selling value rather than actually wearing em.
    >(F) has more better exclusive outfits than (M) counterparts.

Addressing the parts I have bolded

Number 1: I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks (and it most definitely true given evidence) that the Male to Female outfit RNG rate is rigged in favor of male outfits. Totally NOT cool!

Number 2: Shopping bags seriously need to be released instead of stickin' all the new stuff in gachas more people are more likely to buy shopping bags straight out instead of chancin' it on a gacha. And us ladies (and lady characters) are forced to shell out 20mil - 100mil gold to get 1 piece of an entire outfit. Nx needs to do somethin' about this unfair pricing. (Yes I know it sounds like I'm a a whining child, but my point is valid).

Number 3: Design quality differences between male and female outfits. Ok this one is a bit tricky. I like designin' costumes/clothes for in-game and in rl. Idk about other people, but male outfits are TONS harder to design than female outfits. I often run into the problem of an outfit I'm designin' lookin' like a slightly different than other existin' outfits. Like my Valentine Incubus Outfit. It was soooooo hard to make it look original w/o makin' it look like the exsitin' incubus outfits w/ a few new "accessory pieces/embellishments." Plus I was tryin' my best to not make it too frilly, nuthin' wrong with frilly on guys, but I've heard lotsa male characters/players complain about there not being enough non-frilly cool lookin' outfits for males. Though I will say this: The male version of the Brilluen outfit is WAAAAAAAAY better than the female version.
    Rhey
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    edited July 7, 2017
    Sphyra21 wrote: »
    Number 1: I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks (and it most definitely true given evidence) that the Male to Female outfit RNG rate is rigged in favor of male outfits. Totally NOT cool!
    This actually makes sense if true, although I dislike it. More F players = More demand = More sales of gacha trying to get F outfits. Keeping F outfit rates lower would probably work in nexon's favour in terms of profit.
    Sphyra21 wrote: »
    Number 2: Shopping bags seriously need to be released instead of stickin' all the new stuff in gachas more people are more likely to buy shopping bags straight out instead of chancin' it on a gacha. And us ladies (and lady characters) are forced to shell out 20mil - 100mil gold to get 1 piece of an entire outfit. Nx needs to do somethin' about this unfair pricing. (Yes I know it sounds like I'm a a whining child, but my point is valid).

As long as they have a decent minority of people throwing hundreds of dollars at gacha this probably won't happen even if it would make players overall happier and earn them a more consistent flow of money.

Nexon doesn't control the prices of items in Mabi. They control gacha rates. It's unreasonable to expect a merchant to sell a rare item under what it's worth/what people are willing to pay. They do however, control the gacha rates in relation to this. But again, see point one. (Sorry if this sounds snappy, that's not my intent. I just understand your pain all too well but I'm very cynical concerning these issues since they've been in effect long term.)