Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Oh, New Mabinogi

Comments

• CapnReconCapnRecon
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    I'd rather they put resources into giving PC Mabinogi the engine and graphical work it needs as opposed to making a pretty, but limited, version of Mabinogi for smartphones. If it comes to NA, I'd still play it, but I'd never crack in as many hours as I have on PC Mabinogi.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Its easier to build something from scratch than updating something thats 15 years old.
    People around here don't seem to see that.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Its easier to build something from scratch than updating something thats 15 years old.

But why can't they do PC Mabi from scratch while putting everything that was in old Mabi in it in a new way? ;-;
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    That's in fact exactly how they described the updating process. So I'm also still wondering - why not just scrap the old and make something new. Especially in terms of the peria engine ,they basically just have to wait, the ngrab it and slightly alter it. The graphics are a perfect replacement, too.

Of course there's a crapton of models and textures that will require drastic rework, but that's what re-implementing a game is all about.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Have you seen all the comments in here?
    "Yeah this looks sweet hope i dont have to start over"
    Honestly i cant see them rebuilding the base game from scratch without having to wipe the servers.
    Which in the end is just gonna make everyone quit cause the lost all their progress, and the hundreds of dollars they spent go poof.
    badnewsbarrettGretapawcalypseMikuV3
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    I'm not much of a fan of cel shading tbh. It's much less detailed; it's just two or three colors for every object. No little bits of bark, no little grains of gravel, just colors. Maybe a speck of stone here or there to simulate gravel, or a spot on a tree to simulate bark. Bright colors. :/ I like the bright colors, but to me that's literally the only thing this art style has going for it. Animation is more fluid, though. Still don't like the cel shading...or the idea of having to start all over....

If they connect it to your pc game and make it so that you can transfer your skill trainings, then maybe I'd give it a try. But I'd very much doubt they'd do that.

Also, it seems like all the skills are at the bottom of the screen, in which case there would probably only be a few skills per weapon type. I can't imagine they'd be able to fit everything down there and make it easy to access.

Personally I never liked cell shading. There are games (like zelda Wind Waker) I would have loved to play, but couldn't get past the cell shading look as I find it almost atrocious.
    WolfandWolf
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited July 12, 2017
    The game's graphics is not a much a problem as bad content updates, especially regarding consistency to the lore, but also game play balancing, but also lacking an effort to fix old content, with an emphasis on gachapon supplying overpowered goods.

In essence, the updates are as "inconsistent" as the directors. This is the visions of many different people at many different points who simply want to build their thing versus building upon what was already established, with some insidious goals concerning cash shops, things that look cool instead of balance, and a whole slew of things.

No graphics will fix a system where directors come and go while sharing only this mentality but not a coherent vision. Or a dream too long term they won't see it to fruition, because they leave.\

It is still the same problems for me. The game has just become a clusterf#$$k of conflicting ideas and mechanics.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Siodhan wrote: »
    That's in fact exactly how they described the updating process. So I'm also still wondering - why not just scrap the old and make something new. Especially in terms of the peria engine ,they basically just have to wait, the ngrab it and slightly alter it. The graphics are a perfect replacement, too.

Of course there's a crapton of models and textures that will require drastic rework, but that's what re-implementing a game is all about.

Repeal and replace Mabi?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    The graphics look weird, plus i'm not a fan of mobile games as well. I also suspect that this game will only happen around Tir Chonaill. Meh... Nexon is wasting time on it, better upgrade and fix current Mabinogi.
    Peloi
  • JoeyDee9JoeyDee9
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,065
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I think some of you guys are also missing the point, it's not like they are wanting to target mabi players with this game. Well of course they will be mabi players playing, but accessing the handheld (cellular) market means accessing a HUGE amount of potential customers.
    badnewsbarrettRedetsuKensamaofmariMikuV3
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    JoeyDee9 wrote: »
    I think some of you guys are also missing the point, it's not like they are wanting to target mabi players with this game. Well of course they will be mabi players playing, but accessing the handheld (cellular) market means accessing a HUGE amount of potential customers.

Nexon has put a lot of mobile games on the market, so it makes sense to put a popular game remake to test the waters as well.
  • TsumikkiTsumikki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,200
    I don't use my phone for gaming, but I'm curious how living-not-in-5k-miles-from-the-server Mabinogi feels like so I'm in. :(
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited July 13, 2017
    Honestly i cant see them rebuilding the base game from scratch without having to wipe the servers.
    Which in the end is just gonna make everyone quit cause the lost all their progress, and the hundreds of dollars they spent go poof.

I understand your concern and Nexon's goals may not be similar; Ankama Games made a graphics overhaul to a game called Dofus. It may not even apply to Mabinogi since Dofus was Flash-based. Dofus is not 3D and not as challenging to run on any machine.

perso_10.jpg

After the upgrade my character, my guildmates, as well as the rest of the international community, had all their money, their possessions and everything they did was carried over. I no longer play as often after Mabinogi appeared.
    The result of Mabinogi to carry over all of the characters progress and possessions may not work the same as Dofus.

Players had a mixed feelings of how they express of the games new look. Some of the features and animations became different after the upgrade.

Since the game is turn based (literally like chess or checkers) and some enemies can take 30 seconds up to 60 minutes to defeat - the mechanics of how battle's progress and the animations within them were changed for better or worse (the animations of some were changed severely that many hate their characters' skills while others preferred the new version of the same skill. For example: previously some skills that meant to perform a kick is now just a standing animation with new effects added; vice versa).

If Mabinogi were to have an overhaul of any sort some players may not like it and some will - Vindictus was a shock to some and a joy for the others. There will always be 2 sides either in favor or against the change while many more may feel indifferent.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

100's? Over the course of a decade, try 1000's. O_o
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    edited July 14, 2017
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    -Snip-

Honestly i can see where you are coming from this but, there are nearly a thousand of items in Mabi and for some of them they would have to edit them up to three times.
    Thats just clothing, theres all the other assests they would have to do as well. Based on this i can't see Mabi getting the graphic update they want.

Tbh I prefer the graphics we have now over something new and with less details. I personally think the people here just want hair that moves or maybe a better running animation.
    GretaWolfandWolfpawcalypse
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    -Snip-

Honestly i can see where you are coming from this but, there are nearly a thousand of items in Mabi and for some of them they would have to edit them up to three times.
    Thats just clothing, theres all the other assests they would have to do as well. Based on this i can't see Mabi getting the graphic update they want.

Tbh I prefer the graphics we have now over something new and with less details. I personally think the people here just want hair that moves or maybe a better running animation.

I want my butt to wiggle a bit when I run.
  • GreaGrea
    Mabinogi Rep: 855

I feel that with how old the game is and whatnot, it just seems easier and cheaper to add new things into Mabinogi rather than updating the old. I can't imagine how long it would take to go through each model editing them to compare with the new.
    pawcalypse
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    Especially when all the people who understood your legacy code walked away years ago.
This discussion has been closed.