Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Graphics

HuwHuw
Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
edited July 29, 2017 in General Chat
Stumbled across these images of a rebuilt Tir...what do you guys make of it?
trrGa8v.png
9VnqCvV.png
[Deleted User]
  1. Would you suppose a graphical overhaul like this?65 votes
    1. Do you have to ask...? *Throws $$$*
       28% (18 votes)
    2. I support a graphical overhaul, but not anything that looks like BDO/Vindictus
       18% (12 votes)
    3. I'm too poor/lazy to build a gaming rig. I'll just end up crashing
       5% (3 votes)
    4. What mabi needs is a client that reduces latency issues/rubber banding, not graphics
       49% (32 votes)

Comments

• HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    Id rather have new servers over graphics.

The lag is getting ridiculous.
    pawcalypseWolfandWolfKimberlyCrimsọnSherri
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    I'd love Peria graphics as an appropriate replacement. They're supposedly fixing the displacement lag, for starters, in KR. So maybe in two years we'll stop lagging a little too. Not us puny europeans who don't even have their own server anymore though.
    Policromapawcalypse
  • HuwHuw
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    Harukari wrote: »
    Id rather have new servers over graphics.

The lag is getting ridiculous.
    I've noticed an increase in lag stability...and all these bots appearing doesn't help the situation either. I hope a solution comes to light fast.
    Siodhan wrote: »
    I'd love Peria graphics as an appropriate replacement. They're supposedly fixing the displacement lag, for starters, in KR. So maybe in two years we'll stop lagging a little too. Not us puny europeans who don't even have their own server anymore though.

I believe the EU version closed back in 2012/2013 if i'm not mistaken? All EU players were left with the only option of playing NA afterwards. I heard they didn't even get to transfer anything over and lost everything. RIP
    Still...EU players don't have it the worst. I feel bad for those that play from Australia
    Harukari
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited July 29, 2017
    Graphic looks nice but there's reason I'm still playing and like current Mabinogi.
    Sherri
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,010
    while it would be nice as i feel one of the reasons people don't want to play mabi is it looks old this would likely bring in more new people however it will most likely never happen.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited July 29, 2017
    Nope.
    Leave the graphics alone. If you want to bring in more players update all those crappy hairs styles and g1 outifts.
    TheNyanCatpawcalypseMikuV3HarukariCrimsọn[Deleted User]SherriErorservCarlizeSai
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    its never going to happen, eve if there was a mod for this, you'll see errors everytime.
    [Deleted User]
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    For the amount of effort and money needed to overhaul mabinogi like this, they'd might as well just make a new game
    Aell
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,010
    looking at these again i wounder could the pleione engine even handle these graphics.
    [Deleted User]
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    I'd say if anything they should keep it cartoony. I'm thinking about that "mabinogi mobile" game, but that appears to be a separate thing.
    DanievictriaWolfandWolf
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    watercat0 wrote: »
    its never going to happen, eve if there was a mod for this, you'll see errors everytime.

You must be some kind of silly.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited July 29, 2017
    If they upgraded the graphics, they would have to keep the cartoon/anime aesthetic. No realism-izing. The forums would be in flames.

But, yeah, we kind of need to focus on fixing lag and cleaning out botters more than we need to focus on trying to make Mabi look like Pixar flew down from the heavens in the car from Grease surrounded by golden light with angels singing in the background and blessed this game with their most talented animators and 3D modlers. (Now that I've made you see it, you cannot unsee it.)
    Greta
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    If they upgraded the graphics, they would have to keep the cartoon/anime aesthetic. No realism-izing. The forums would be in flames.

But, yeah, we kind of need to focus on fixing lag and cleaning out botters more than we need to focus on trying to make Mabi look like Pixar flew down from the heavens in the car from Grease surrounded by golden light with angels singing in the background and blessed this game with their most talented animators and 3D modlers. (Now that I've made you see it, you cannot unsee it.)

Yeah, the pictures up there don't look like "better graphics" more so than just a "different art style". In my mind, better graphics would mean that your arms no longer leave your sockets when wearing certain outfits and doing certain animations, and those cardboard-like plants that look like 3-D from afar are actually 3-D (also human/elf men's chests look a little more aesthetically pleasing and less like two squares glued onto skin). But...maybe other people have a different idea of what better graphics mean.

The art style in the pictures looks more "realistic" like Vindictus or Skyrim, which I don't think would work at all if you still want to have Anime-ish eyes/outfits/characters.
    SherriDanievictria
  • Jayy124Jayy124
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    Imagine how long that maintenance would be.....
    Sherri
  • ZerukanZerukan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,280
    This is like the 5th-6th time I've seen a thread with these images. While they're nice they wouldn't fit with Mabinogi at all in my opinion. They do look like they'd fit Vindictus better though. Plus, like Siodhan said, Peria Chronicle's graphics would be much better to have. They would fit perfectly with the style of the game and it wouldn't the game look like something completely different.
    GretaSherri
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    too much resources
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited July 29, 2017
    You can even streamline it, just have the new engine use all of the old file formats, meshes, and textures

100% identical graphics compared to the original game. Plus the tall grass would actually render properly at every angle. Having more than 6 talent icons on screen won't drop the framerate <12FPS anymore. It wouldn't take 3 whole minutes to load, depending on how the programmer decides to load assets. A computer that maxes the game out at 60fps would be able to render these crappy old graphics at the intended GPU cap without the computer getting super LOUD. Etc. etc.

It's worth it
    Danievictria
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited July 29, 2017
    Yes new servers please. Getting real sick of the displacement and click lag.

click, click, CLICK? NOTHING, CLICK CLICK CLICK!!! DEAD! QQ!!!!!!!! :|
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    edited July 31, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    Yes new servers please. Getting real sick of the displacement and click lag.

click, click, CLICK? NOTHING, CLICK CLICK CLICK!!! DEAD! QQ!!!!!!!! :|

99.999999999999% of the time.... displacement lag is a client-side issue .... which means ... no amount of new servers will correct it.

I'm 99.999999999999% sure thats not the case..displacement lag can be caused by a desync between server and client..from what i understand, I'm not a genius or anything, but I'm pretty sure that means it can be coming from either side..and either way mabi needs new servers anyways. The one's we have now are extremely unstable. That being said there are steps you can take on the clients end to attempt to fix these issues but I'm not entirely sure I'm able to mention them here so i won't.
    Greta
  • Daggerpaw12Daggerpaw12
    Mabinogi Rep: 705
    edited July 31, 2017
    if we ever get a graphical overhaul like this it'll probably be living hell for people without supercomputers. Korean games are so badly optimized it's not even a joke anymore. Before I got my new computer, I was running the largest maps in Warframe with a shitty unmodified 2012 MacBook on a virtual machine and it was still smooth, while black desert struggles to run on the lowest possible settings on a mid-tier gaming laptop. A lot of KR gamers play at PC Bang centers, though, so KR devs don't put a lot of effort into optimization, pretty just enough to make the thing run, which is a nightmare for western players who use personal machines.
    [Deleted User]