Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering something..

FoxharthFoxharth
Mabinogi Rep: 380
in General Chat
Hey there everyone, I'm deciding to join this game after stumbling upon this through a youtube Top 10 MMORPG list for 2k17.
So I was wondering a few things from the playerbase, albeit it'll be a small amount from the forums, what server should I start in? I'm looking for a mainly active community, it doesn't have to equal popular. Along with that, I have another question in hand.
Is crafting popular in this game? Like, viable to use at all. Most games I play I end up just crafting the whole time. If it isn't viable, I'll likely have to double take the game. Thank you guys in advance!

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited August 4, 2017
    Which server should you join?

latest?cb=20130218085354

I'm not touching that one anymore.
    [Deleted User]Xiokun
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Firstly, hello and welcome.

As far as server's go, its a fairly heated debate between the four. Alexina has the largest number of physical players, however half of them are either bots or AFKers, so take that how you will. (is an Alexina Resident)

As far s Crafting....

Crafting is one of the older and most out-dated and untouched systems within Mabinogi, outside of Potion Making, Hillwen Engineering and Magic Crafting. Crafting as a whole, is very slow to start, but if you can get to Rank 1, the bonuses you can get from crafted weapons and armor, is beyond what you can buy. Additionally, many late-game weapons can only be crafted, however materials for such require a lot of time or money to obtain.

Going beyond what you asked, Mabinogi has no set-in-stone class system like other MMORPGs. There are roughly 120 combined skills that each race can learn, with zero restriction on how many you can learn. What this means, is you can start as a warrior, and end end up casting Magic and using Alchemy without much effort. So try out different combat talents and see which ones fit you best instead of conforming to the "Warrior First" mentality that tends to get shoved down beginners' throats.
    SherriAellnajee508Goldtiger01
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    I'm on Mari server but it doesn't seem as populated as it used to be. There's still quite a good number of people doing events and dungeons daily though. I'm not sure about the other servers since I only play on Mari, but I've heard Alexina is popular also. If you decide to join Mari your welcome to add me if you have any questions or need help with anything. I've been playing a little over 8 years, but there's still a lot of things for me to do and explore. The recent update applies for giant characters only so if your interested in doing that you should be given a free premium card to make a giant with. Human characters are good for melee because of final hit which is often called infinity slash in other games where you can attack over and over within a time frame. Elves are good with long range and magic but have poor defense and lower HP so they are good for support along with a close combat warrior type.

I've done quite a bit of the crafting skills and it is a great investment to rank it. You can make some nice armors and weapons through the various crafting skills and can sell your finished products to others. Items made through crafting have the potential to be better than NPC shop ones such as higher durability or higher defense. It does require a lot of time, patience, and gold so its best to setup a goal such as get so many points in a week so you dont get burned out or overwhelmed. Weaving rank 8 is a nightmare, but with the ap training system you only have to do 30 points worth then you can train the rest with AP to bypass some of the troublesome requirements.

I hope this helps you some and that you have a great time in mabi ^^
    Samuelalex of Mari Server
    SherriAellTheNyanCat
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited August 4, 2017
    the game will give you a few free character cards so you can try out different server if you want to. if you pick human as your race you can go to Filia (elves main town) or Vales (giants main town) and get one free elf character card or giant character card depending on which place you decide to visit. this is done by talking to the leader of the elves Castanea or talking to the leader of giants Krug and choosing one of the two races to be allies with.

it depends on what you want to craft. there are very few talent and skill restrictions in mabi. you can learn almost any skill in the game however there are some exceptions like elves can't use lances and there are very few two handed weapons for elves, giants can't use bows, humans can learn almost everything. but as for crafting you can choose to craft clothes, weapons, armor, potions, instruments, alchemy stuff, and more. you will also be able to set up crafting areas in your homestead so you can craft there so you could put a spinning wheel and loom in your homestead if you wanted to craft your clothing there for example or you could start a big herb garden in your homestead if you wanted to craft a lot of potions. as for new things to craft we just got a update for giants and it is possible to craft new weapons and armor for giants.
    Aell
  • FoxharthFoxharth
    edited August 4, 2017
    Thank you for the information everyone - I think I'll start with a human to get those extra-character-cards. Along with the very helpful information on crafting - I'm willing to suffer through a large grind because that is most useful and helpful to me in a game. Coming from games like Istaria and Warframe, I mean. I'll also be giving both Mari and Alexina a thought in consideration.
    As for the additional information ; That's rather awesome Felice, I didn't know that.. But the two classes you mentioned at the end; Magic and Alchemy sound rather awesome! I'm probably going to start with magic as a startup.

Also thank you for the information on races, I'll start human as Negumiko said and get those free character cards. Otherwise, I'll post again with the server I'm going to be starting on, thank you all again!
    Gaea wrote: »

latest?cb=20130218085354

Thank you for being the most useful..
    Don't comment in this thread ever again, unless it's the server you're on.
    Edit;
    Anyway I picked Alexina.
    SherriHarukariGretaBuffalosRaishiiHumiliatingnajee508Goldtiger01
  • FoxharthFoxharth
    edited August 4, 2017
    I thought I pressed Edit, I apologize for the double post.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Alexina is most populated, that's all I know. Mari is the second most populated. Tarlach & Ruairi, well.. I never been on them so idk.
    Welcome to Mabi! ^ _ ^
  • FoxharthFoxharth
    Sherri wrote: »
    Alexina is most populated, that's all I know. Mari is the second most populated. Tarlach & Ruairi, well.. I never been on them so idk.
    Welcome to Mabi! ^ _ ^

Thank you for the welcome.
    In other words, I found a claymore on the ground, so that's cool.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Foxharth wrote: »
    Thank you for the information everyone - I think I'll start with a human to get those extra-character-cards. Along with the very helpful information on crafting - I'm willing to suffer through a large grind because that is most useful and helpful to me in a game. Coming from games like Istaria and Warframe, I mean. I'll also be giving both Mari and Alexina a thought in consideration.
    As for the additional information ; That's rather awesome Felice, I didn't know that.. But the two classes you mentioned at the end; Magic and Alchemy sound rather awesome! I'm probably going to start with magic as a startup.

Also thank you for the information on races, I'll start human as Negumiko said and get those free character cards. Otherwise, I'll post again with the server I'm going to be starting on, thank you all again!

latest?cb=20130218085354

Edit;
    Anyway I picked Alexina.

I'm sorry Gaea i laughed

Honestly almost all the end game gear is crafted or bought from players.
    There are some items that come out in the gachapons (IRL money) but imo they're most of them aren't worth using if you have end game gear.
    [Deleted User]
  • AellAell
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,070
    Welcome to Mabinogi! And as you've already picked a server, I'll skip to crafting.

1) Stats and Multipliers: Any crafting class, whether it's cooking, tailoring, blacksmithing and what not, add a significant amount of stats (mostly Dexterity) which increase your total damage. So, even if you max out all combat skills, you'd still lose a portion of stats if you haven't invested in crafting. However, when you rank Life skills, make sure you have rebirthed to the talent you're working on. You can choose a new talent everytime you rebirth. Having rebirthed into any Life talent will double the EXP you gain for crafting and add a 2x multiplier for the skillset of your choice. This means that every requirement you meet for that skill, for example, Shear a Sheep 100 times, will fill in 2 times instead of one. So your instead of doing the same task 100 times, you can complete it by 50 uses. You can increase your skill multipliers with training potions and events. This applies to all skillsets.

2) Training difficulty: You will find some skills harder to train than others. Most Life skills are beginner-friendly, like Metallurgy, Mushroom Gathering, Carpentry, etc, but some for some you'll need to fight monsters or defend yourself even while gathering. That is why most players choose to rank Life skills after one or two combat talents.
    Hardest Life skills: Blacksmithing, Magic Craft, Hillwen Engineering.

3) Profit: As Felice mentioned above, the crafting system is not even slightly outdated. Older skills like Tailoring and Blacksmithing have a wide range of manuals, but only 10 or 20 of them actually make worthy items. Even though the items you make get higher stats than those you buy from NPCs, most common mid-tier gear come from gachas. Only r3-r1 craftables are useful, and the most valuable ones, like new Celtic weapons or Dragon raid gear (end-game) are made from materials only found in dungeons or Iria raids. In short: time-consuming, expensive, RNG-based, but strong.

If you have trouble finding something in-game or need other information, check Mabinogi Wiki.
    Sherri
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited August 5, 2017

Edit;
    Anyway I picked Alexina.

I kinda don't blame her though.... this kind of thread pops up like once a week and it always just turns into people trying to get the person to join their server and saying the same stuff again. sometimes even arguments happen. it's silly and you would have found this exact thread (more or less) if you did a quick search

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/6721/true-or-false
    [Deleted User]TheNyanCat
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Arjune wrote: »

Edit;
    Anyway I picked Alexina.

I kinda don't blame her though.... this kind of thread pops up like once a week and it always just turns into people trying to get the person to join their server and saying the same stuff again. sometimes even arguments happen. it's silly and you would have found this exact thread (more or less) if you did a quick search

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/6721/true-or-false

there is still no reason for her or any other player to respond like that though. every new player should be able to ask these kinds of questions about a mmo game and other players should be able to offer their advice and opinions so the new player is aware of all their options. if she didn't want to be involved in this topic it would have been better not to say anything at all and simply ignore it.
    AellRaishiiMikuV3Sherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

latest?cb=20130218085354

Edit;
    Anyway I picked Alexina.

Ohhhh LOL, best newbie comment i have ever seen so far. This made me smile.
    Poor Gaea...

Anyway welcome to Mabinogi! I'm also from Alexina server! :D You did a good choice... >:)
    Poor Mari server... Oh and other servers too...

• RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Looks like I was late 2 the party. Welcome 2 mabi. Enjoy ur stay. Play as a trap and grab the nearest sugar daddy as this game is moar gachinogi lately then ever.
    Greta wrote: »
    Poor Mari server... Oh and other servers too...

...meh.

tenor.gif

• EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Negumiko wrote: »
    the game will give you a few free character cards so you can try out different server if you want to.

I have an account for this purpose. I think it's fine to do this on a mule account, but I wouldn't recommend it for one's main.

A few days ago I made a character on Ruairi with the free giant card, and very nearly got stuck at two parts of the new beginner quest chain:
    - The first was the quest where Dilys gives you a horse whistle, and the quest requires you to summon a pet. I had already claimed the free horse whistle on Mari, so my new giant didn't get one.
    - The second was the quest where Andras gives you a eagle whistle, and again, the quest requires you to summon a pet. I had claimed the free eagle whistle on Tarlach, so, again, my new giant didn't get one.

Both quests appear to have been (badly) designed with the expectation that all your characters and pets are on the same server. Seems like a new player won't be able to progress along the quest chain if their free pets were created somewhere else.

(I got through the quests because I did have other pets on Ruairi, but it would be unreasonable to expect a new player to buy them just to get through the noobie quest chain.)

But putting all that aside...

What's your in-game name, cuz I wanna send you cookies for wrecking Gaea LOL
    Sherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 5, 2017
    Negumiko wrote: »
    the game will give you a few free character cards so you can try out different server if you want to.

Kids, don't do this if you treasure your tetris-like inventory and bank. If you do, create all your characters in same server. ALWAYS.
    TheNyanCatAell[Deleted User]
  • Unwanted2Unwanted2
    Mabinogi Rep: 805
    edited August 5, 2017
    I would suggest my server but I don't because I don't want newbies to suffer from lack of population. Good decision you went to Alexina.
  • PromesteinPromestein
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,185
    Other servers besides Alexina exist? Also Foxharth, here's some advice.

Don't talk to strangers. Most of them want all of your gold anyway. Also don't sell your soul to the devil of Alexina. Not kidding about this one. His name begins with a T, unless he's stopped playing. I wouldn't know.

What else, what else... Alexina is the number one server. The others don't exist, so keep that joke up and don't let it die. We take this very seriously.

Follow this advice, and I'm sure your time will be an easy one here.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited August 5, 2017
    Promestein wrote: »
    I don't play this game anymore

hmmmmm :P
    TheNyanCat
  • PromesteinPromestein
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,185
    edited August 5, 2017
    Arjune wrote: »
    Promestein wrote: »
    I don't play this game anymore

hmmmmm :P

Shhhhh! You can't just pick out very specific parts of my post!