Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why does Nexon hate North American players?

Comments

• TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Nexon NA is a publisher (or whatever you want to call it) of Mabinogi to North America (and now the rest of the world, pretty much): they don't get to develop much stuff without Korea's approval/support. I don't know the extent of these publisher limitations, but if I had to guess they couldn't simply adjust drop tables of the entire game on a whim without Korea giving an OKAY.

And so why don't they get that okay? Or did they already ask and get rejected?

Either way we have drop rates made with a significantly larger population in mind and whether or not Nexon has brought it up with Korea or not we need to bring this up sooner or later. The only thing we can do is bring it to their attention and if Korea really doesn't want us touching the drop rates then oh well, it's just that our population has already declined a considerable amount and these drop rates aren't really helping. It's just going to become more and more of a problem later on.
  • justshowingjustshowing
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    i've noticed this trend with a lot of mmo/moba games too that originate from korea or japan as well.

rip cosmic league
    Humiliating
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited August 11, 2017
    I think translating is a hassle and the target demographic varies from country to country in the US, AUS, EU; those regions.
    • They may have already tried their best but the laws and regulations per country may have affected what they can or cannot express in their games.
    • Some countries may not like foreign brands and companies to detract their citizens from their native brands and companies, making it more difficult to advertise or broadcast.
    • Nexon have tried to cater to certain regions but something like what happened in EU maybe what they fear of happening somewhere else.
    • There might be a hindrance within the company's politics which may prevent the progress of regions beyond the Asian branches.
    • Rival companies may have some hold on certain countries or regions preventing Nexon to take a hold of even more potential consumers.
    • Maybe I just like using the list code to make nonsense...
    [Deleted User]TheNyanCatDanievictriaSherri
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    edited August 12, 2017
    KR's tendency to give us unfair treatment is a contributing factor to why the game gets increasingly less members during certain types of events. A lot of players come back for new skill sets and gens, but then they automatically leave once they're bored. Also, past players range in age, so a lot of them are burnt out or have lives that basically control them.

Nexon could bring in new players easily, but a big factor of that would be giving us the same treatment as the native country.
    CscrimsonDanievictriapawcalypseSherri
  • RedXIIIRedXIII
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    edited August 11, 2017
    Here are some irks I have that help keep me away from the game. They will be in the form of sources from community forums and the wiki.
    -removed-
    -removed-
    http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Lag#Lowering_your_Maximum_Transmission_Unit_.28MTU.29 (This is changeable via your OS, but will ironically make you unable to visit the Nexon website)

If they fixed any of these nuisances since I've been gone, I'd be happy to see some proof of that.

EDIT: http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Mysterious_Reforging_Tool
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited August 11, 2017
    Actually meant to bring up translation in my last post. Localization aside,the only issue I have with NA and translation is the complete lack of Smart Content. Hiding behind "we have a wiki already" isn't enough for me. Korea had wikis/databases before they made their Smart Content, so why can't we? A developer moderated mini-wiki in-game
    would help so many people new that it feels like a wasted opportunity to not bring it in.
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    And so why don't they get that okay? Or did they already ask and get rejected?

We won't know unless one of the Nexon staff come up and confirm/deny that. If they did ask, then we need to be upset at Korea and not NA. If it was never asked, a formal request should be made.
    DanievictriapawcalypseSherriItisme
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Actually meant to bring up translation in my last post. Localization aside,the only issue I have with NA and translation is the complete lack of Smart Content. Hiding behind "we have a wiki already" isn't enough for me. Korea had wikis/databases before they made their Smart Content, so why can't we? A developer moderated mini-wiki in-game
    would help so many people new that it feels like a wasted opportunity to not bring it in.
    I completely forgot about the smart content, I still remember being excited about having a wiki in game. At this point they're just expecting us to keep the wiki running and well and if it goes kaput that's the end of it. Still though, I agree the players themselves should not be paying out of their own pockets to maintain a wiki to make the game more enjoyable. The project may be driven by the passion of the players but it makes absolutely no sense to be forced to rely on it when there is already an in game wiki implemented in another version but skipped for ours.

Unless it's on a Nexon server.

Sherri
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Greta wrote: »
    The question is... Why KR population is bigger than NA one? Does that mean that our community hates Mabinogi or Korea just has more weeb people who are willing to play this? xD

For one, Nexon KR is a much larger company(NxA/Global is a subsidiary). But historically speaking, PC gaming has been bigger in South Korea for a much longer time because of how they had the headstart with PCs like the MSX getting a Korean clone. PC gaming was also a lot cheaper, and the rise of the cybercafe boosted the social aspects even further.

North America, however, has only recently gotten to a point where gaming is socially acceptable, and has had a much longer relation with console gaming. I'd also say that there is more of a inclination toward "graphics hounds" in western gaming; as such it is actually rarer to find any sort of large advertisement campaign for older games or those not boating top-tier visuals.

I think everyone should quite avoid making claims as to what Nexon's intentions are or trying to speak for them; speculation is one thing but making "definite" claims is another. It would be logically absurd to sabotage one's own game or an entire branch over a "laziness" to implement something, versus several factors and discussions internally and abroad that may affect if or when something comes across the pond.
    [Deleted User]AtaraxizpawcalypseSherri
  • CscrimsonCscrimson
    Mabinogi Rep: 670
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    RedXIII wrote: »
    Here are some irks I have that help keep me away from the game. They will be in the form of sources from community forums and the wiki.
    -removed-
    -removed-
    http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Lag#Lowering_your_Maximum_Transmission_Unit_.28MTU.29 (This is changeable via your OS, but will ironically make you unable to visit the Nexon website)

If they fixed any of these nuisances since I've been gone, I'd be happy to see some proof of that.
    The problem with font related lag is between the keyboard and the chair (a lack of font related education ; e.g. What is the difference between Raster, Vector, TrueType, and OpenType font?). Your post doesn't make much sense to me otherwise. Adjustments made to MTU (in this case) should never be permanent (under any circumstances for any game ever). I run sub-par equipment on low-grade internet with no issues.
    RedXIII wrote: »

EDIT: http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Mysterious_Reforging_Tool
    This article includes content that is unreleased in North America. ~ Go cry in South Korea.

Hey can you try making a point without using inflammatory language? It detracts from the civil discussion and adds nothing to your post.
  • CscrimsonCscrimson
    Cscrimson wrote: »
    Hey can you try making a point without using inflammatory language? It detracts from the civil discussion and adds nothing to your post.

Inflammatory language? Such as?

Implying people are stupid (The problem with font related lag is between the keyboard and the chair (a lack of font related education ; e.g. What is the difference between Raster, Vector, TrueType, and OpenType font?)

Telling people to go cry else where. Just kind of makes you look like a tool and doesn't further your argument.
  • CscrimsonCscrimson

Inflammatory language? Such as?

Implying people are stupid (The problem with font related lag is between the keyboard and the chair (a lack of font related education ; e.g. What is the difference between Raster, Vector, TrueType, and OpenType font?)

Telling people to go cry else where. Just kind of makes you look like a tool and doesn't further your argument.

I didn't imply any one specific person to be anything. I think you're looking for an argument. There is no logic to the font lag debate, none at all.

Eh it's fine if you wish to feign ignorance ill just report your posts next time.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    When did the topic turn into font lag?
    [Deleted User]pawcalypseSherri
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited August 11, 2017
    >Came 2 see wry the Nexon bashing...?
    >stayed 4 the font drama.

tenor.gif
    [Deleted User]pawcalypseSherri
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited August 11, 2017
    I don't think that Nexon hates their audience outside of Asia...I just think they seriously undervalue us. They don't make very many strong attempts to attract new players, there are lots of content upgrades (Flight in Tir and Dunbarton, VIP service updates...) that have yet to see the light of day in our neck of the web, and they often port over content better suited to the server population (dungeon drop rates, the sheep wolf event with those terrible drop rates for the transformation medals) or online game spending customs (gotchas with mostly junk and really low drop rates for uber gear) of their original market but not to Westerners' spending habits or the NA servers' populations.

All Nexon needs to do to improve this game's performance in North America is to give us the improvements that Korea has (the updated VIP service, flight in Tir and Dunbarton, the in-game wiki), do some market research in order to better tailor their monetization strategy to appeal to Westerners, do some more market research and get their ad guys to whip up some good promos for the English version of the game, and make an effort to tailor drop rates for event and dungeon rewards for the NA server's lower population in the meantime. It'll take time, money, and effort on both sides of the Pacific to do it, but investing time, effort, and money is how you make more money.

...Well, that's my two cents anyway. Try not to roast me too badly if you think I'm being dumb. ^_^
    pawcalypseAtaraxizCscrimsonSherri
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Koreans can fly in Tir Chonaill?

What in the damnation of dead bees are NEXON America doing?
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    TNinja wrote: »
    Koreans can fly in Tir Chonaill?

What in the damnation of dead bees are NEXON America doing?

Nexon NA has to get approval from Nexon KR. It's not up to them :/
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited August 12, 2017
    I don't think that Nexon hates their audience outside of Asia...I just think they seriously undervalue us. They don't make very many strong attempts to attract new players, there are lots of content upgrades (Flight in Tir and Dunbarton, VIP service updates...) that have yet to see the light of day in our neck of the web, and they often port over content better suited to the server population (dungeon drop rates, the sheep wolf event with those terrible drop rates for the transformation medals) or online game spending customs (gotchas with mostly junk and really low drop rates for uber gear) of their original market but not to Westerners' spending habits or the NA servers' populations.

All Nexon needs to do to improve this game's performance in North America is to give us the improvements that Korea has (the updated VIP service, flight in Tir and Dunbarton, the in-game wiki), do some market research in order to better tailor their monetization strategy to appeal to Westerners, do some more market research and get their ad guys to whip up some good promos for the English version of the game, and make an effort to tailor drop rates for event and dungeon rewards for the NA server's lower population in the meantime. It'll take time, money, and effort on both sides of the Pacific to do it, but investing time, effort, and money is how you make more money.

...Well, that's my two cents anyway. Try not to roast me too badly if you think I'm being dumb. ^_^

I honestly agree with you o-o I think hating is a tad bit over exaggerated for what's the truth of the situation.
    Rhey wrote: »
    >Came 2 see wry the Nexon bashing...?
    >stayed 4 the font drama.

tenor.gif

Lol. Isn't the Nexon bashing against the rules of the forums? Just wondering.
    [Deleted User]Danievictria
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited August 12, 2017
    Aquasol wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    The question is... Why KR population is bigger than NA one? Does that mean that our community hates Mabinogi or Korea just has more weeb people who are willing to play this? xD

For one, Nexon KR is a much larger company(NxA/Global is a subsidiary). But historically speaking, PC gaming has been bigger in South Korea for a much longer time because of how they had the headstart with PCs like the MSX getting a Korean clone. PC gaming was also a lot cheaper, and the rise of the cybercafe boosted the social aspects even further.

North America, however, has only recently gotten to a point where gaming is socially acceptable, and has had a much longer relation with console gaming. I'd also say that there is more of a inclination toward "graphics hounds" in western gaming; as such it is actually rarer to find any sort of large advertisement campaign for older games or those not boating top-tier visuals.

I think everyone should quite avoid making claims as to what Nexon's intentions are or trying to speak for them; speculation is one thing but making "definite" claims is another. It would be logically absurd to sabotage one's own game or an entire branch over a "laziness" to implement something, versus several factors and discussions internally and abroad that may affect if or when something comes across the pond.

I like how you stated this. Brilliantly done.

It also helps with my comment how this thread is actually somewhat breaking the forum rules o-O because that's a thing.
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Criticism is against most forum rules so, more or less.

Not that it has stopped anyone from doing so.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Well we finally got 100% repair. God knows how long we waited for that. Perhaps they are getting around to things like this finally. We just have to keep up with threads like these.
    DanievictriaSherri