Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why does Nexon hate North American players?

Comments

• DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    I don't think that Nexon hates their audience outside of Asia...I just think they seriously undervalue us. They don't make very many strong attempts to attract new players, there are lots of content upgrades (Flight in Tir and Dunbarton, VIP service updates...) that have yet to see the light of day in our neck of the web, and they often port over content better suited to the server population (dungeon drop rates, the sheep wolf event with those terrible drop rates for the transformation medals) or online game spending customs (gotchas with mostly junk and really low drop rates for uber gear) of their original market but not to Westerners' spending habits or the NA servers' populations.

All Nexon needs to do to improve this game's performance in North America is to give us the improvements that Korea has (the updated VIP service, flight in Tir and Dunbarton, the in-game wiki), do some market research in order to better tailor their monetization strategy to appeal to Westerners, do some more market research and get their ad guys to whip up some good promos for the English version of the game, and make an effort to tailor drop rates for event and dungeon rewards for the NA server's lower population in the meantime. It'll take time, money, and effort on both sides of the Pacific to do it, but investing time, effort, and money is how you make more money.

...Well, that's my two cents anyway. Try not to roast me too badly if you think I'm being dumb. ^_^

I wonder if they think the in-game wiki would be viable for us due to how much translating they would have to do before they send it our way. If it's similar to the Mabinogi World Wiki that we use, that would be a LOT of information and I can see that taking a long time to translate accurately.

Does anyone know what update in Korea the flight in Tir and Dunbarton thing came up in? I know we're a few updates behind so perhaps it's on the horizon for us.

Flying update came with giant update.

Nope, it didn't. I tested it as soon as the update came out, and then a few days afterward. I got the same message as always and no takeoff. You can imagine what my reaction was to this disappointing finding. (It went something like this: Aw, come on! I wanna fly my sparkle pony over Duncan's head! DX )
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I don't think that Nexon hates their audience outside of Asia...I just think they seriously undervalue us. They don't make very many strong attempts to attract new players, there are lots of content upgrades (Flight in Tir and Dunbarton, VIP service updates...) that have yet to see the light of day in our neck of the web, and they often port over content better suited to the server population (dungeon drop rates, the sheep wolf event with those terrible drop rates for the transformation medals) or online game spending customs (gotchas with mostly junk and really low drop rates for uber gear) of their original market but not to Westerners' spending habits or the NA servers' populations.

All Nexon needs to do to improve this game's performance in North America is to give us the improvements that Korea has (the updated VIP service, flight in Tir and Dunbarton, the in-game wiki), do some market research in order to better tailor their monetization strategy to appeal to Westerners, do some more market research and get their ad guys to whip up some good promos for the English version of the game, and make an effort to tailor drop rates for event and dungeon rewards for the NA server's lower population in the meantime. It'll take time, money, and effort on both sides of the Pacific to do it, but investing time, effort, and money is how you make more money.

...Well, that's my two cents anyway. Try not to roast me too badly if you think I'm being dumb. ^_^

I wonder if they think the in-game wiki would be viable for us due to how much translating they would have to do before they send it our way. If it's similar to the Mabinogi World Wiki that we use, that would be a LOT of information and I can see that taking a long time to translate accurately.

Does anyone know what update in Korea the flight in Tir and Dunbarton thing came up in? I know we're a few updates behind so perhaps it's on the horizon for us.

Nope, it didn't. I tested it as soon as the update came out, and then a few days afterward. I got the same message as always and no takeoff. You can imagine what my reaction was to this disappointing finding. (It went something like this: Aw, come on! I wanna fly my sparkle pony over Duncan's head! DX )

I meant for Korea
    Danievictria
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440

I meant for Korea

Yup, like I asked about what update in Korea did the flying in Tir/Dunbarton occur. Here's hoping we get it soon. =3
    Danievictria
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695

I meant for Korea

Ah, I must have misread. Yeah, I heard that the feature came to KR in the Giant update too. This, of course, is why I was so disappointed that we didn't get it with the Giant improvements. I really do hope that we get the fight update at least sometime before the Holiday Season...
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 15, 2017
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    Aquasol wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    The question is... Why KR population is bigger than NA one? Does that mean that our community hates Mabinogi or Korea just has more weeb people who are willing to play this? xD

For one, Nexon KR is a much larger company(NxA/Global is a subsidiary). But historically speaking, PC gaming has been bigger in South Korea for a much longer time because of how they had the headstart with PCs like the MSX getting a Korean clone. PC gaming was also a lot cheaper, and the rise of the cybercafe boosted the social aspects even further.

North America, however, has only recently gotten to a point where gaming is socially acceptable, and has had a much longer relation with console gaming. I'd also say that there is more of a inclination toward "graphics hounds" in western gaming; as such it is actually rarer to find any sort of large advertisement campaign for older games or those not boating top-tier visuals.

I think everyone should quite avoid making claims as to what Nexon's intentions are or trying to speak for them; speculation is one thing but making "definite" claims is another. It would be logically absurd to sabotage one's own game or an entire branch over a "laziness" to implement something, versus several factors and discussions internally and abroad that may affect if or when something comes across the pond.

I like how you stated this. Brilliantly done.

It also helps with my comment how this thread is actually somewhat breaking the forum rules o-O because that's a thing.

Triple-posting is also against the rules.
    TNinja wrote: »
    Criticism is against most forum rules so, more or less.

Not that it has stopped anyone from doing so.

If anything the negativity against Nexon should die down. The game hasn't gone offline, so everyone could calm down and work together to make this place happier, which would lead to more success. Especially getting Nexon KR to see we really love this game and are willing to make it work out.

Of course there will always be jerks, but it is sorta our fault because most people turn a blind eye to those things. People who stand by and watch stuff happen are considered part of the problem ._. "I didn't do anything!" Yeah, well doing nothing doesn't help either. I've had my share of that...

Mini rant.

I honestly think if we all came together and fought for this in a positive manner, we'd get a lot farther than bringing this up on the forum. Negativity doesn't get you anywhere, neither does force.

Maybe bringing this up during the streams and asking if they've made a request for the newer content would help clear up this misunderstanding.
    No, they'd just spout the "we don't know durrrr" response they always give. How long have we been asking for bitfont? Years. How long have we asked for damn commas between numbers? Years. Asking and being polite has gotten us nowhere, which is why many of us have resorted to topics like this.

Stop looking through rose-colored glasses.
    TNinja wrote: »
    Criticism is against most forum rules so, more or less.

Not that it has stopped anyone from doing so.

If anything the negativity against Nexon should die down. The game hasn't gone offline, so everyone could calm down and work together to make this place happier, which would lead to more success. Especially getting Nexon KR to see we really love this game and are willing to make it work out.

Of course there will always be jerks, but it is sorta our fault because most people turn a blind eye to those things. People who stand by and watch stuff happen are considered part of the problem ._. "I didn't do anything!" Yeah, well doing nothing doesn't help either. I've had my share of that...

Mini rant.

I honestly think if we all came together and fought for this in a positive manner, we'd get a lot farther than bringing this up on the forum. Negativity doesn't get you anywhere, neither does force.

Maybe bringing this up during the streams and asking if they've made a request for the newer content would help clear up this misunderstanding.
    Rhey wrote: »
    Rhey wrote: »
    My only worst fear is wings @ direct purchase price would be 500$+ and Event/Collab Rank SS tiers items are 1000$+. Oh gawd...I remember in one of Nexon's other games(*cough* DN *cough*) it req 700$+ direct purchase just to get a Pony and a tiny wing that servers no purpose other than Aesthetic.

Something inside me died that day...

Kare-Kano-Anime-Freaked-Out-Double-Take-Gif.gif

They may be a tad more expensive, but I'm sure customers would flat out complain if they made them that much more expensive.

Everyone did at first...but then people started opening their wallets left and right. It's like Dope... Once Ur hooked, U'll pay any price.

I doubt it. Spending money is a habit and all, but I would hope they wouldn't spend money they don't have so easily.

Maplestory used to be known as the game where "kids would steal their parents' credit cards to buy all those little pixels."

People will spend money they don't have for things.
    I still think they'd make more money off of selling outfits and wings in bags I stead of in Gachas. People would buy multiple of these and it would help the economy in game.

After all, it's not just old items in demand. It's the new ones too. How many of you guy the outfit you wanted when a new gacha came out? How many even tried?

I think Nexon should at least give it a shot. Great things can come out of new ideals, especially the unexpected.
    Once again, remove the rose-colored glasses, and accept the bleak truth.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    300 dollars per person vs. 10-50 dollars per person
    Which do you think wins?
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited August 15, 2017
    @Opalthira You do remember how mad people got about the Wish Bone Event with the gachas right? That required around $300 just to get a permanent tail unless you were absurdly lucky. People were livid. I don't see many jumping on the $300 bandwagon.
    SherriDanievictria
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

Just a friendly reminder that this is a small, Korean MMO and not the government feeding us lies while slowly sending us to our death. No need to be so 'edgy'.

SherriShaeli
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Sebastian wrote: »

Just a friendly reminder that this is a small, Korean MMO and not the government feeding us lies while slowly sending us to our death. No need to be so 'edgy'.
    Then where's the fun?
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited August 15, 2017
    I still think they'd make more money off of selling outfits and wings in bags I stead of in Gachas. People would buy multiple of these and it would help the economy in game.

After all, it's not just old items in demand. It's the new ones too. How many of you guy the outfit you wanted when a new gacha came out? How many even tried?

I think Nexon should at least give it a shot. Great things can come out of new ideals, especially the unexpected.

Reminds me.. my business teacher in high school always said that doing a business is about taking risks. Of course, I thought that was insane.
    "What's the point when you can go through a less risky ideal and know what you are getting out of it?"
    Now I know what he means. After seeing different businesses try new ideas in select states before expanding their ideas, and after reading what you said..
    I agree with my teacher now. Business is all about taking risks, and Nexon should try it out. If it fails, oh well. More gachas?
    9dnGeIh.png

I sound old in this reply. I just graduated this June. xD

Then where's the fun?

Rofl
    Ataraxiz
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited August 15, 2017

And back seat moderating isn't appreciated either.
    Maplestory used to be known as the game where "kids would steal their parents' credit cards to buy all those little pixels."

Back in the day it literally used to be just pixels and fashion for that game, so that scenario didn't happen too terribly often (or I would hope not). But now that the main servers pretty much have heavily implied paywalls in front mid/end game content it wouldn't surprise me if the susceptible kids are doing that . . .
    rose-colored glasses

What's up with you and red? I thought you wore green.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

A small Korean MMO managed by a large and significant Korean company.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited August 16, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »

Pot calling the kettle black?

Back in the day it literally used to be just pixels and fashion for that game, so that scenario didn't happen too terribly often (or I would hope not). But now that the main servers pretty much have heavily implied paywalls in front mid/end game content it wouldn't surprise me if the susceptible kids are doing that . . .
    rose-colored glasses

'tis true I wear green, but green-colored glasses.... not sure. Feel like they'd induce vomiting.
    Sphyra21
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    300 dollars per person vs. 10-50 dollars per person
    Which do you think wins?

Not a lot of people will spend 300 dollars. You can't just expect people to pay so much when that's actually not the case. Majorily, most people won't waste something on a game when it can affect putting food on the table or how they get to work. It's not a logical or rational decision, and a lot of people aren't going to make that mistake economically.

Also, economically, you can't put a price on a life, so you can't put a specific price that everyone is going to buy 300 dollars worth of gachas. I actually only know a few people who will buy a lot of gachas, and they don't actually have to pay for the roof that's over their heads. However, others will buy those bags in shop, and then buy one or two more to give as a gift. Been there. Done that.

rose-colored glasses

'tis true I wear green, but green-colored glasses.... not sure. Feel like they'd induce vomiting.

You bring up good points in your comments, but a lot of them seem rather rude. That's also not appreciated.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    edited August 16, 2017
    You guys seemed to miss my point.
    Selling 100 gachas every gacha to about ten people is more profitable than selling like 1-3 shopping bags.
    I hear that most people drop hundreds of dollars every gacha in game because they don't get what they want.
    Hell even i do it sometimes cause im broke in game.

But like you said i cant figure numbers for everyone. There could be people buying 300 gachas a gacha.
    Or ten people per server buying 100 gachas. The only one that really knows is Nexon and clearly they're happy with their business model.

Plus if they did start going "only shopping bag route" You can really expect the bags to be like 20-50 each.
    I don't think anyone is gonna fork over 150 dollars every two weeks to be nice to their friends. But even if they did its not of my business.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    I get your point, but people are known to buy what is guaranteed. Nexon has to do what Korea says, so it's not really in their hands. Korea's population is probably 10x ours (exaggerating), so of course we're pretty out of the picture there.

However, if they continued what they do with these current bags where everything is guaranteed for 20 something dollars, then heck yeah that would sell as if it were going out of stock.

And it is good for gifts. I've seen people get random things several times just for being a good friend. I've even done it myself, but of course it could just be a small group of people doing even though it's happened all over the game.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited August 16, 2017

Key word being Korean. Just because it's big there doesn't mean it's as big here. Plus, you totally missed the point of my statement.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795

And? I really don't think that Nexon South Korea has any plans to try and feed their North American+European audience with...whatever it is people here seem to think they are feeding. Our market share is just too small compared to their end for the effort to even be remotely worth it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    GUYS, STOP!
    I'm out of popcorn...

*grabs more*

yNiBv8S.gif

Continue please...
    [Deleted User]SebastianpawcalypsePolicromaAtaraxizSherriSphyra21
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    You guys seemed to miss my point.
    Selling 100 gachas every gacha to about ten people is more profitable than selling like 1-3 shopping bags.
    I hear that most people drop hundreds of dollars every gacha in game because they don't get what they want.
    Hell even i do it sometimes cause im broke in game.

But like you said i cant figure numbers for everyone. There could be people buying 300 gachas a gacha.
    Or ten people per server buying 100 gachas. The only one that really knows is Nexon and clearly they're happy with their business model.

Plus if they did start going "only shopping bag route" You can really expect the bags to be like 20-50 each.
    I don't think anyone is gonna fork over 150 dollars every two weeks to be nice to their friends. But even if they did its not of my business.

I've said this a few times when I thought about the math. Every single person would have to buy 3-5 shopping bags at $10 each to equal what I've seen 2-3 people say they spend on each server on gachas.