Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

How to become a VFM?

AtaraxizAtaraxiz
Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
edited August 12, 2017 in Town Square
I'm.. not sure.. where to put this? If it's in the wrong spot, by God please move it to where it should be xD

But I was just.. curious. How does one become a Forum Mod? O.o I'm not looking to become one (lol) but I'm rather curious about the process. It's never been spoken if before xD (At least I've never seen it..)
[Deleted User]Sherri
  1. Would you like to be a VFM?12 votes
    1. Yes
       25% (3 votes)
    2. No
       50% (6 votes)
    3. Meh, maybe.
       25% (3 votes)

Comments

• AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited August 12, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    There hasn't been a recruitment since this forum first went up (not that I know of), but it's usually announced in a thread. :)

Oh really? That's interesting. I'd love to see what that's like o.o
    [Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    They should have one, if possible. Considering what's been happening so far and the fact we got a fresh new forum.
    I'm not really sure I'd like to be one. It would be a great honor but I don't have too much experience in moderation and I'm not sure if I would be fit for something like that. If I could try it out, maybe, but nothing like that exists. :)
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 12, 2017
    They shouldn't do that, they MUST do that. We got so little VFM's and also when they are asleep, EU VFM's can be on lookout of these forums, because now botters use NA nighttime as advantage.
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Greta wrote: »
    They shouldn't do that, they MUST do that. We got so little VFM's and also when they are asleep, EU VFM's can be on lookout of these forums, because now botters use NA nighttime as advantage.

Exactly.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    VFM? Mod for Vindictus?
  • GretaGreta
    TNinja wrote: »
    VFM? Mod for Vindictus?

joke.exe has stopped working.
    [Deleted User]Alalarose
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I don't see why anyone would want to~ Other than to have slight authority, be buddy-buddy with CMs, and have people hate you for locking/merging their threads.
    Especially now with the spam bots. It's day-after-day of cleanup work.

Because it's volunteering, they don't even get paid for it.
    Ataraxiz
  • GretaGreta
    I like to stare at clean forums. Is that a good reason? o:)
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Out of curiosity I wonder what jobs or duties the VFM would do and what powers they would hold? Like for example would they be responsible for banning others or would they be responsible for reviewing complaints put in by other people. The reason I ask this is I hope if someone is selected for this job they would do it with fairness and in an unbiased fashion to treat all players with respect. That being said I am also curious what the criteria is for become a forum mod to make sure it doesn't involve favoritism such as befriending mods in order to be selected above other applicants for example.

Im not sure if one would need to apply for this job like with an actual application but i am interested in helping out with forum management and technical support. I have 15 years of customer service in technical setting and an associates degree for web development. I have been a forum manager off site for several years and may be able to help with the forum spam bot issues going on with the suggestions to block ips and email domains of said offenders ^^ that seems to remedy this kind of situation on another forum I co-owned before we migrated to a different service provider. I am always glad to share my expertise and knowledge XD
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I can say right now that it's not a popularity contest-- those who seek it most are probably going to be among the less likely to become one.

As for what the position entails, it's more than just deleting bot threads. Those bots won't be able to mess with the forums forever anyways.
    AtaraxizZurcishere
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited August 14, 2017
    Sai wrote: »
    I don't see why anyone would want to~ Other than to have slight authority, be buddy-buddy with CMs, and have people hate you for locking/merging their threads.
    Especially now with the spam bots. It's day-after-day of cleanup work.

Because it's volunteering, they don't even get paid for it.

To be completely honest with you, I'd enjoy the work because I get easily bored xD But that's just me.

I'd also like to remind everyone this isn't a place to put in a request to become a VFM. This thread was asking how people were picked as far as how Nexon gets word out. Please hold your requests for the real deal.

Thank you, thank you!
    Greta
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    To me it sounds like your intention is to learn how people were selected so in fact can be selected as well following the same critiia that they were chosen because of. It is unclear because the first post says you dont want the job but later you say you do. Im guessing people are posting under that same assumption that if they meet said critia then they could be selected as well. In any case if someone is picked I hope it is because of their qualificaions rather than because of popularitiy or favoritism by the current staff. Experience makes for a better job performance and i have been working in this particular field for quiet a long time XD If an applicantion ever opens up I hope Nexon gives everyone a fair chance to apply and be considered. I doubt that any information will be releaveal as to what is required to be a moderator but if it ever is please forward me the information as well.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    . . .In any case if someone is picked I hope it is because of their qualificaions rather than because of popularitiy or favoritism by the current staff. Experience makes for a better job performance and i have been working in this particular field for quiet a long time XD If an applicantion ever opens up I hope Nexon gives everyone a fair chance to apply and be considered. . .

Finding people who have experience and want to do this here will be difficult. Glad there's someone else who has both of those. In any case, from what I can tell new VFMs get tasked with Bugs & Glitches (small job, easy to get acquainted with rules and mod tools, the whole works) so a lack of experience moderating forums could be fixed.
    Samuelalex
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    edited August 14, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Finding people who have experience and want to do this here will be difficult. Glad there's someone else who has both of those. In any case, from what I can tell new VFMs get tasked with Bugs & Glitches (small job, easy to get acquainted with rules and mod tools, the whole works) so a lack of experience moderating forums could be fixed.

Ah that makes sense to start out with small and hopefully easier tasks to get aquatinted with how things work. Ive tried to help out in the technical support thread if I can. It would be interesting to learn how to troubleshoot and fix some of the basic problems and Im always willing to do so throughout the day and night if needed. With a background in computer repair toubleshooting bugs and glitches is right up my alley XD If the posistion becomes available I hope Nexon will announce it so that I can apply and try to help everyone out. Thanks for the info Buffalos.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited August 14, 2017
    I did not say I wanted the job. I said I'd enjoy the work because I enjoy helping people and working in the tech field. I also am easily bored with life when I simply run out of things to do. This would add more to my daily To-Do list. That would help me use my time in helping others more.

Again, just specifying why I would enjoy being a moderator. Just because you would enjoy a job doesn't always mean you want to dive straight in. I enjoy music, aswell, but I'm not going for it as a profession.
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    To be completely honest with you, I'd enjoy the work because I get easily bored xD But that's just me.

I'd also like to remind everyone this isn't a place to put in a request to become a VFM. This thread was asking how people were picked as far as how Nexon gets word out. Please hold your requests for the real deal.

Thank you, thank you!

Im not sure if one would need to apply for this job like with an actual application but i am interested in helping out with forum management and technical support.

So far you're the only one using it as a sort of application. Sherri was only answering the question for the poll, while you provided insight i to your line of work.

I'm.. not sure.. where to put this? If it's in the wrong spot, by God please move it to where it should be xD

But I was just.. curious. How does one become a Forum Mod? O.o I'm not looking to become one (lol) but I'm rather curious about the process. It's never been spoken if before xD (At least I've never seen it..)

Again, never said I wanted the job. I missed the thread on the old forum and was curious how they were picked since there are so few, and two of the 5 have retired.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Hey that's cool you don't want the job but still want to know how to get it anyway. I'd imagine this would be time-consuming anyways so it would take dedication and possibly a consist schedule. Don't know if they require you to be active a certain number of hours each day like another site I'm gaming on, but either way, I look forward to when the applications open so I can send through my information. I'm pretty flexible with my time on the forums to help people who need it. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pick people randomly or just because they see them actively posting. Most jobs require you to show you're interested and send through any related experience/training you have. Buffalos comment makes me think they train you to do the job which is great. I'll be keeping an eye out for an announcement that Nexon is looking for a moderator through not sure if or when this might occur.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Hey that's cool you don't want the job but still want to know how to get it anyway. I'd imagine this would be time-consuming anyways so it would take dedication and possibly a consist schedule. Don't know if they require you to be active a certain number of hours each day like another site I'm gaming on, but either way, I look forward to when the applications open so I can send through my information. I'm pretty flexible with my time on the forums to help people who need it. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pick people randomly or just because they see them actively posting. Most jobs require you to show you're interested and send through any related experience/training you have. Buffalos comment makes me think they train you to do the job which is great. I'll be keeping an eye out for an announcement that Nexon is looking for a moderator through not sure if or when this might occur.

You should probably talk to someone like the CM or a VFM for the actual details. This thread was made to ask where the information is posted so we know when the opportunity is open. That way we know what to look for.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    There hasn't been a recruitment since this forum first went up (not that I know of), but it's usually announced in a thread. :)

When such a thing occurs, they collect applications and announce the "winners" in the end. :)
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex

But I was just.. curious. How does one become a Forum Mod? O.o I'm not looking to become one (lol) but I'm rather curious about the process. ...

From the original post, this thread was intended to learn the process of how to become a forum moderator not where to find information about it even though there was no intention of the original poster becoming one according to the comment.
    You should probably talk to someone like the CM or a VFM for the actual details. This thread was made to ask where the information is posted so we know when the opportunity is open. That way we know what to look for.

I wonder if they would give me a fair chance after they were contacted to discuss report information which should have been kept confidential in order to defame me and prevent myself and my guild from being treated fairly and given the same opportunities as others. In that case favoritism was shown previously as of a feature/promotion by a previous CM and then a similar feature/promotion again by the current CM after this contact to them about me was made. No other guilds have been featured since making it feel like an unbias decision which was suggested in another thread where I made a similar inquiry as to the criteria needed to be featured which was never answered.

I would like to note that Nexon's staff and employees are required to treat all players with fairness and in an unbias fashion, therefore, giving all players the same chance to participate in events hosted by them. I feel like I do not have that same opportunity to participate in events on the forums or outside because of the rumors and such spread around about me to defame me and degrade the people who support me. Also the fact there is constant attacks against me in other threads to defame me and gain sympathy by the one posting the discrediting information. Its really quite awful someone would do that to another player in the first place, and to contact the mods bringing them into it as well, feels like a personal attack, but I shall try things your way and ask the mods and see if they answer the question.

Since the original purpose of this thread was to learn how one can become a forum moderator, could a current moderator post here with the criteria needed to apply for such a position if it becomes open. Also how would the players be notified if Nexon is looking to fill such a position? I would be interested in applying to assist with forum moderation including troubleshooting problems that arise along with aiding to crack down on the forum/in game bots and find an effective way to remove them from the systems entirely. I am flexible with my hours and able to work nights and weekends if need be. I look forward to moderators response to this ^^
  • MissFortuneMissFortune
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,530
    If a position becomes available, it may or may not be done in an open way where people are asked to send in applications; but more certain people will be looked at who may meet standard that is required, and then contacted. It could be done either way, as far as I'm aware.

But I would like to say that being unbiased and professional is a part of the job that certain people just don't have a knack for considering their complicated histories with other people.
    Ataraxiz
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    @Samuelalex If your implying that favoritism or bias has been playing a part into why your guild has not been featured on Mabinogi social media yet, then your are very incorrect. There have been a few other guilds featured recently. I don't know what criteria, if any, that is looked for when selecting a guild to be featured, but perhaps they just select one at random when viewing the guild recruitment forum sections.

I know there has been some issues between you and a few others for many months now and that issues were also discussed many months ago privately with you by another VFM. I know it sucks, but as long as forum rules are not being broken, there really isn't anything that can be done. I recommend keeping things private through the forum's PM feature to prevent issues and drama publicly, and that hopefully everyone can work out a solution to get along.
    Ataraxiz
This discussion has been closed.