Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Get 300 000 EXP Mission Point is the WORST

Comments

• PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    What is lag?
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited August 19, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    TNinja wrote: »
    Well I'm not too familiar with how things works, but something must be going on if everything suddenly works if you just turn off the chat.
    I understand what you're saying and the impression you're under. I really do, lol. Just think of how much faster the game would be without any visible textures; no trees, no grass, no visible GUI, no ground, buildings, sky box, mobs, players, or any of the other things which make up the environment all around you at any given moment. ~ Tara with no buildings (omg!!). :D

Hah, yeah. Back in Europe when the game was literally going to die, I had the pleasure of experiencing all of that.

It was.

The best feeling in a while.
    [Deleted User]
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Yes, 300 000 EXP is nothing. It's just one Hard mission with a crystal and you're done.
    But if you don't decide to get those EXP, you'll get stops for every kill.

Earlier, I decided to use WIndmill on five Shadow Warriors.

It so happens not only did I have missions to kill Shadow Warriors, it was also the 300 000 EXP mission. Those two texts decided to pop up, and freeze the game for about 5 seconds because I got five kills. It's like the game didn't know how to count for a moment.

암호 wrote: »
    Is no one getting freezes everytime a text pops up telling you you got EXP and mission progress? You know. The FONT?

Sounds like a little mod issue to me B)
    gr8b8
    This is really easy. ~ Me thinks (me knows) @TNinja loves to complain, lol. :)

~ and it's amazing how many people don't realize a lot of anything in a small area causes lag. This is not limited to fonts (there's far more to the equation; such as ... gee idk.... TEXTURES). ~ Seriously. Fonts are the least of your worries.. Especially if you think a bitmap font will do you some sort of service (placebo)**cough-mods-cough**; considering they use more memory in a 3d game application than any other kind.

The so-called font-mod (boasted by some folks) uses a single size and is not scalable. ~ This is no more so a "fix" than having a lobotomy is.

Well I'm not too familiar with how things works, but something must be going on if everything suddenly works if you just turn off the chat.

That freeze frame happen to me too when i kill a lot of mobs at once.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    edited August 19, 2017
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Yes, 300 000 EXP is nothing. It's just one Hard mission with a crystal and you're done.

It so happens not only did I have missions to kill Shadow Warriors, it was also the 300 000 EXP mission. Those two texts decided to pop up, and freeze the game for about 5 seconds because I got five kills. It's like the game didn't know how to count for a moment.

Is no one getting freezes everytime a text pops up telling you you got EXP and mission progress? You know. The FONT?

gr8b8

~ and it's amazing how many people don't realize a lot of anything in a small area causes lag. This is not limited to fonts (there's far more to the equation; such as ... gee idk.... TEXTURES). ~ Seriously. Fonts are the least of your worries.. Especially if you think a bitmap font will do you some sort of service (placebo)**cough-mods-cough**; considering they use more memory in a 3d game application than any other kind.

The so-called font-mod (boasted by some folks) uses a single size and is not scalable. ~ This is no more so a "fix" than having a lobotomy is.

I would suspect this is just the game and server talking back and forth. Mod spawns - sends information back to your internet to your computer. You kill mob - computer sends information back to your internet - internet sends information to server. Server adds exp to your level, you level up (maybe), saves some of the data to the server - sends this information back to your computer through your internet.

This isn't related to font, it's the game uploading the data to the server. If there is a lot of information going to the server or your connection is unstable or receiving some kind of resistance, this can create lag. Lag can also be created by out dated patches that are still attached to the game, hence loading screen issues or slowness. This is the reason for Memory issues for others. Your computer has to load this information, which Mabinogi has a lot of needless patches that are not overwritten by the newer ones. Kind of rediculous since many games do not have this problem, bit it's what we have to deal with to play our favorite game.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    edited August 19, 2017

gr8b8

Apparently only happens to me during the event.

But not when I no longer have a skill training to fulfill.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Yeah it happens really bad when i'm leveling skills and kill 5+ things at once.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz

Yeah that's the issue then :3 It's completely normal, I have it too. The closer to the servers you are, the faster your game will transmit data back and forth. Distance causes resistance and slows down the feed. Faster internet service could also fix this rather common problem.
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    edited August 19, 2017
    Well, having 90/90 fiber net doens't help when I live in Europe.

So I take it that when I turn off the chat/name to disable the font, I'm also disabling the transmission of texts from the server?
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz

So I take it that when I turn off the chat/name to disable the font, I'm also disabling the transmission of texts from the server?

Yep, exactly. Not a font related issue, just receiving data :P
    Ataraxiz wrote: »

Yeah that's the issue then :3 It's completely normal, I have it too. The closer to the servers you are, the faster your game will transmit data back and forth. Distance causes resistance and slows down the feed. Faster internet service could also fix this rather common problem.
    Faster internet, or increased RAM and/or Display Memory; .. or simply kill the plethora of useless garbage running by default in the background of an average Windows Operating System. :)

Exactly ^~^ I had a professional take a look at my computer after a hacking. He disabled some windows stuff and also found a keylogger that was removed :3 Game works much better now!
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja

Then, these so-called font mods. What exactly did they do that magically speeds up the game?
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz

Then, these so-called font mods. What exactly did they do that magically speeds up the game?
    On one side we have non-scalable fonts, and on the other side we have scalable fonts. A non-scalable font requires many different copies (in different sizes) to provide the same benefit one would get from a single scalable font. The so-called font-mod uses a non-scalable bitmap font, and while it may seem faster (to a slight degree), just like it might be easier to think with half a brain (after a lobotomy), it's really not optimal in any way; as it requires additional copies of the same font (to be stored in memory) to replace text for each size used in the game.

This is why the font they use runs off the end of a frame (window, interface, chat, etc.), doesn't render properly, looks fugly in a lot of places.

I've seen bitmap font on a lot of screenshots from modders. It's really ugly and often too hard to read, especially when you get those text-color change thingys. Blues and greens and reds are especially hard to read.
    [Deleted User]Greta
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Well, it speed up quite a bit for me in Europe. As in, there were no frame loss and I could walk in channel 1 for once.

But it's also been many years since I played there, I can't recall if I had reading issues or not, so I can't say anything in that regard.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    It might speed it up a tad, but it's still got it's own consequences. For the most part, it's probably not a very noticable difference besides size and design. In my honest opinion, I like the regular font best.
  • MikuV3MikuV3
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,325
    Its time to replace the potato
    Greta
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Meh. I'm still capable of running new games at 120FPS with acceptable resolution so I don't want to change anything yet.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    edited August 19, 2017
    The only problem I have with it is that if you're level 200, you can't gain exp anymore, making you burn a reset on an impossible mission. :/

(For the record, I'm only level 200 because I'm sitting on a mountain of AP with no skills trained enough to use it on—the last few I haven't capped are hellishly tedious—and I'd rather have the training boost than even more AP I can't use.)
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Shaeli wrote: »
    The only problem I have with it is that if you're level 200, you can't gain exp anymore, making you burn a reset on an impossible mission. :/

(For the record, I'm only level 200 because I'm sitting on a mountain of AP with no skills trained enough to use it on, and I'd rather have the training boost than even more AP I can't use.)

Huh, that's pretty neat.
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    the 300k exp quest is very easy.

Pop a 2x combat EXP potion and do Fomor Attack on Hard. You'll be done before you finish the SM.

If you don't have 2x Combat EXP potions, use a Potent Shadow Crystal (any will do) and you'll get it from the end reward EXP and the EXP from the mob kills.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760

On one side we have non-scalable fonts, and on the other side we have scalable fonts. A non-scalable font requires many different copies (in different sizes) to provide the same benefit one would get from a single scalable font. The so-called font-mod uses a non-scalable bitmap font, and while it may seem faster (to a slight degree), just like it might be easier to think with half a brain (after a lobotomy), it's really not optimal in any way; as it requires additional copies of the same font (to be stored in memory) to replace text for each size used in the game.

This is why the font they use runs off the end of a frame (window, interface, chat, etc.), doesn't render properly, looks fugly in a lot of places.

I've seen bitmap font on a lot of screenshots from modders. It's really ugly and often too hard to read, especially when you get those text-color change thingys. Blues and greens and reds are especially hard to read.

Not as ugly as one of the more recent fonts that I've seen in modded screenshots.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz

Not as ugly as one of the more recent fonts that I've seen in modded screenshots.

Do show I'd love to see it lol.