Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Nexon, please address the botting situation.

FroglordFroglord
Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
edited August 21, 2017 in General Chat
Botting on the forums, botting in game, people are botting daily part time jobs for adventurer seals, people are botting via gold-farming by selling an infinite amount of reforges, people are botting Balthane Squires, and people are botting on obscure channels in HM dungeons for materials.

Enough is enough, please address this issue and put a stop to this plague.
SiodhanGretaDanievictriaSherri[Deleted User]AtaraxizSugarAngelXiokunBeliahShaeliand 4 others.

Comments

• SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    I agree. I feel a lot of bottled up anger towards this. Just look at it. 3 entire pages of spam in this section alone.
    Danievictria[Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • Morbious17Morbious17
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,260
    I took care of all that spam for now. And yes, it would be nice to not have to remove this spam multiple times each day.
    DanievictriaShaeli[Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • YaorenYaoren
    Mabinogi Rep: 840
    Froglord wrote: »
    Botting on the forums, botting in game, people are botting daily part time jobs for adventurer seals, people are botting via gold-farming by selling an infinite amount of reforges, people are botting Balthane Squires, and people are botting on obscure channels in HM dungeons for materials.

Most people who I've seen on those obscure channels here in Mari at least, are regular people with (lets assume) multiple computers as nexon allows up to 5 accounts per person last I heard.. as well as if it's not automated, it's not really botting considering doing this method (legitimately) is far from automatic. The rest of it I can agree with although nexon probably doesn't mind the infinite reforge bots since the NX comes from somebody's wallet. :p
    [Deleted User]
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    I wonder if anyone noticed a weird occurence during sketching Demi Lich in Alexina? I have occasionally saw a nimbus, with sometimes its owner's name and at other times, only the name of the nimbus itself, standing fixedly just around the monster spawns in every channel at the same time. What is that sorcery o_O is that also a bot or something
    [Deleted User]
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    sometimes pets just get glitched, and since a lot of people sketch that lich and change channels there, then I imagine the pets glitch a lot more often there
    [Deleted User]
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,380
    Well maybe if drop rates on materials weren't so poor and RNGesus wasn't such a horrible thing, than maybe people wouldn't feel the need to bot so much.
    DanievictriaSherri[Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Yeah sure, need more excuses to make botting look like an innocent action lol.
    DanievictriaSherriXiokunPolicroma[Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited August 21, 2017
    ShouK wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone noticed a weird occurence during sketching Demi Lich in Alexina? I have occasionally saw a nimbus, with sometimes its owner's name and at other times, only the name of the nimbus itself, standing fixedly just around the monster spawns in every channel at the same time. What is that sorcery o_O is that also a bot or something

On occasion the client will leave behind "artifacts" like that if you follow the pet with owner just out of your viewing field. It's kinda rare and typically not botting related.
    Well maybe if drop rates on materials weren't so poor and RNGesus wasn't such a horrible thing, than maybe people wouldn't feel the need to bot so much.

Definitely part of the problem, but the major issue is that Nexon appears lax with punishing those who do it. I've reported bots before and sometimes they're gone within a day, and other times I see them a week later doing the same thing. If people think they can get away with it, they'll do it.
    [Deleted User]
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    edited August 21, 2017
    dont forget the event awards are bad, very few people care about swimsuits now, its all about school dress.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    edited August 21, 2017
    watercat0 wrote: »
    dont forget the event awards are bad, very few people care about swimsuits now, its all about school dress.

Umm what? Which event rewards are bad????? We lately got useful good event rewards like upgrade stones and enchant protection potions... I don't understand what you talking about. How your post is supposed to be included about botting though...
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    edited August 21, 2017

Botting on the forums is a valid complaint.

Didn't realize people were botting daily part time jobs, not sure what exactly you get out of it, and i haven't really seen an influx in oblivion ES, or anything else from the adv shop.

I don't see the "gold-farming" thing as a real issue, since (As far as I know) there's no way to obtain free sellable fine-reforging tools in mass amounts. So I am pretty sure the shops are legitimate (people are actually spending money to make gold)

Haven't seen a influx in Baltane Squire rewards either, but there are probably bots. Also, if people are actually botting Baltane maybe its a result of the bad design of the system. In my opinion there's two big issues with Baltane right now: It's easily botable, and its incredibly unfriendly to players. It takes a minute or two per session to do everything AND in addition you have to go back to Avalon gate way too frequently if you want to train/farm medals. AFK players won't do it because they AFK. And people who actively play the game don't want to do it either, because they often spam things, and stopping in the middle of spamming is not ideal.

And for the dungeon "bots". They aren't bot, unless they can actually manage to contribute/clear the dungeon without user input. It's filling a spot. It's not like having these "bots" makes clearing the dungeon faster. And this is a problem with the incentive structure of the game. There's two simple solutions to this. One soul bound the keys and any rare rewards (making it pointless to carry alts). Obviously no one would like this solution because now you can't sell the mats and making the weapon would become incredibly impractical. Two, make it so that soloing the dungeon grants you 3 additional chests (a total of 4), and duoing gives each player an additional chest. Now there's no reason to complain about "botting" because players don't have to "bot" anymore.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I remember when bots spammed ptj.
    Back when it wasn't as common to dup mats or other stuff.
    Bots basically spammed anything they could get gold from except for punching posts or following rich man of Emain. Anything that had mobs, foxes included were subject to bot massacres. Before they made Tailteann farming VIP, bots spammed the Tail farms. And commerce was the worst, and in a way has never really recovered.

Nowadays, they've improvised their methods to hide and smuggle quite easily and make a more easy profit to generate gold and then sell their ill gotten gains on the internet.
    Greta[Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    edited August 21, 2017
    Spy wrote: »
    Haven't seen a influx in Baltane Squire rewards either, but there are probably bots. Also, if people are actually botting Baltane maybe its a result of the bad design of the system. In my opinion there's two big issues with Baltane right now: It's easily botable, and its incredibly unfriendly to players. It takes a minute or two per session to do everything AND in addition you have to go back to Avalon gate way too frequently if you want to train/farm medals. AFK players won't do it because they AFK. And people who actively play the game don't want to do it either, because they often spam things, and stopping in the middle of spamming is not ideal.

You didn't? There's always like 2 shops open full of Divine Magic Powders in Alexina's ch1 Belvast 24/7...
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    Greta wrote: »
    You didn't? There's always like 2 shops open full of Divine Magic Powders in Alexina's ch1 Belvast 24/7...
    I'm not in Alexina, we dont have those shops :^(
  • GretaGreta
    Spy wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm not in Alexina, we dont have those shops :^(

Well that explains... Also i kinda worried about THIS too:

yavhBBl.jpg

Alts, alts, alts... Everyday afk at Belvast Bank... What are they even doing? Taking up spaces with their shops full of Cash shop items? Their reforges went up in price as well... :/
    [Deleted User]
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910

Amen brotha
    [Deleted User]
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    These bots are getting out of hand. Really out of hand. I'm out of ideas on how to stop it other than maybe inventing a program for them to put an end to it.
    [Deleted User]
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    edited August 21, 2017
    What about maybe having a questionnaire for new users, when they sign up? Questions that HAVE to be answered so that when new members are being reviewed for approval, it'll be easy to see who's a spam bot? Questions like "how did you find Mabi? What are you most looking forward to about the game?" etc. And they have to be filled in with text, not a drop-down menu with answers or anything. I don't think bots can properly fill out correct answers for things like that.

Edit: I know this won't help with bots in game, but at least on the forums it might.
    Xiokun[Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    Maybe a captcha when you make a new thread or something?
    [Deleted User]Istiku
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Kokoro wrote: »
    Maybe a captcha when you make a new thread or something?

There are ways to get bots through captcha somewhat easily. Captcha would only be a temporary fix.
    KokoroTheNyanCat[Deleted User]