Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Mabinogi needs their own official Discord channel!

CrimsọnCrimsọn
Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
edited December 29, 2016 in Feedback and Suggestions
@Sabina Why we no have one?

We could even have sub channels for servers and stuff, like markets, help, ext. That way we don't have to deal with random players claiming "official" channels. The official channel would be ran by people who were more balanced. The other GM's could create one for you and show you how to run it. The mods in these forums could also help moderate the channel.

Gaea of Ruairi
  1. Would you like there to be an official Mabinogi Discord channel ran by actual GM's and forum Mods?37 votes
    1. Yes!
       49% (18 votes)
    2. No.
       51% (19 votes)

Comments

• icekiller158icekiller158
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,670
    It is not going to work. It is already enough work moderating a forum, they don't need another source of headache of people running rampant.

Players can have their own Discord chat for their circle of friends or guild. No need for an official one.
    HarukariErydanosPrezzix
  • YutsukiYutsuki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,710
    edited December 29, 2016
    I totally support that, it would be incredible.

No need for GM or CM to moderate it, they are bots for Moderation, and the managing could be done by volunteers. With a bit of thoughts it's possible.
    icekiller158

It is not going to work. It is already enough work moderating a forum, they don't need another source of headache of people running rampant.

Players can have their own Discord chat for their circle of friends or guild. No need for an official one.
  • Dai_Mata_ReiDai_Mata_Rei
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    i'm gonna say nope. the people who manage mabi are already overworked as is just trying to keep mabi running as it is.plus since they just set up new forums and are gong to be actively watching these now there really is no point. them having dedicated forums for mabi should be enough. players can set up their own of those for their friends/guilds but there really is no need for the gms to have one set up. the new forums have a message system on them it seems. and from what they look like the new ones are better then the old so yeah..
    Prezzix
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    They do have bots for moderation. So if someone is using fowl language they will be silenced or booted, potentially even banned.

C'mon guys, we need a little more support for this because the people who own these discords can be a lot more biased than a official representative of Nexon.
  • Dai_Mata_ReiDai_Mata_Rei
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    language isn't the problem it's just not efficient for them to have that AND the forums. managing a forum is hard enough. let's NOT add MORE work onto the already stressed staff, instead of using discord, players could use the nice brand new forums that the staff so kindly set up because the old ones weren't the best. also as of december last year nexon had about 5000 or so people working there. that's 5000 split between 3 main offices and the several smaller ones. and dealing with several games. so honestly do you REALLY wanna add more work for the people who work at the nexon offices that are in north america? i honestly don't and i'm sure others feel the same about it. how they have things now is the best course of action for managing the way things are told to players. you know having a dedicated forum and site for their games. there's no need for any more then that it'd just be too confusing.
    Prezzix
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Not official Mabi discord, but I know Ruairi has a server discord channel, maybe the other servers could do the same thing.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 1, 2017
    No that discord channel is the reason why I am making this suggestion. It's owned by a player who is (imo) easily triggered and extremely biased. And yes I am banned from there, they held the opinion that I hated Mabinogi because I had some criticisms about the game - which we all have (I mean look at these forums). I thought that channel would be a good outlet, but boy I was wrong.

Also they mentioned that there was something negative about my personality or...aura. Uhhhh...anyway. I am not the only one to be booted based on their personality which is hypocritical because some of their mods had similar if not even more abrasive or annoying personalities.

I am probably going to receive a lot of flak for this. :(

However I am hoping and looking forward to a discord channel that is a little more open and balanced. Something that can bring all the servers together.
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    I don't know the whole story by any means, but I've been in the discord for quite a few months now and I haven't seen any problems. The people in charge of the discord even recruit volunteers to help out. It's far less of a monarchy-style than you seem to be giving it credit for.

Their rules say "Be respectful. It's okay to disagree or argue, but if it bothers others, take it to direct messages, not #general. Many things go without saying, and if you cross the line or do something immoral, harass or intentionally target somebody, you may be permanently banned without warning." and in another announcement on Oct 11th states "The Discord does not tolerate personal attacks or discrimination on any members who do not provoke it. This includes excessive teasing, personal harassment, and/or posting others' personal information without their consent. Please respect all members in our discord, as they are following the same rules as you. There will be no warning; if a situation occurs where this rule may be broken, you will be kicked from the server."

Again, I don't know what happened in your personal scenario, but from what the rules say it's completely understandable to be banning someone if they are being toxic. No one wants to be afraid to speak on the server because someone's going to bully them or make fun of what they say. And although they may not have worded it well, I think I understand what they mean by a negative aura.

In the nicest way possible, from what I've seen you're a very strong personality. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you're very opinionated as a result and it seems to be your way or the highway with things. An example is the cheering practice event that happened a few weeks ago. You said - actually I'll quote directly from the old forums. You said: "No it's not that, a lot of people don't want junk. I've blatantly told my guildies that it's just junk. I rather spend my glow sticks on stuff that is actually going to benefit me. A lot of other players feel the same. So good luck with that."

That's your opinion, and it's perfectly fine for you to have them and not do the event as a result. The problem is when you spout that at your 44 member guild. Most people don't look at announcements, and will take that at face value. I kept an eye out and saw very few if any Sparta members during the entire event span. The thing is, that discouragement could have easily cost some of your guildies multiple millions worth of gold. Even if they didn't like the potential item rewards, other people do who would have been happy to throw gold at them for those items. I personally would have thrown a mil+ at someone for the bracelets or mobile HS items, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but none even made it to the market to be able to purchase them.

I know this example is a bit specific, but it shows how negativity can affect an entire group of people. The discord is no different. People go on to get help, market, and talk about the game. They don't go on to read someone spread hate about something they enjoy. There's constructive criticism, and there's unnecessary negativity. The official rules on the forums even say that "Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one." If you were being seen as being overly negative on the discord, it may be because of how you pushed your points across rather than what you particularly said. Again, I don't know what happened and this is just speculation from what I've seen you say as well as what the announcement rules state.

As for your actual suggestion of an official discord run by the GMs, I'd have to disagree. The forums are more than enough to communicate with the GMs who are already stretched extremely thin. And having all the servers together would get extremely confusing. With Ruairi's discord having about 400 members it can already be hard to keep up with the chats, and there's constantly posts happening in the market and party sections. Having 4 market boards, 4 party boards, etc would be even harder to keep up with and for the most part it's irrelevant information since usually people are only concerned about their own server.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 1, 2017
    The hell is up with that wall...I knew this would happen. I am going to keep to the core of the issue here...

Also leave my guild out of this. I know what I said in the previous forums, that doesn't reinforce your point because at the end of the day those comments are just personal opinions that don't reflect on anyone else. I did not dictate that's what they should do. They can do whatever they want ultimately. I don't care.

I held some criticisms about the game and the ultimately about how the channel was being run. I wasn't overcritical, I didn't harass anyone, I was constructive. But things like that are not up for debate. I was warned once for something that I could not comprehend was wrong. I was only expressing my opinions and trying to have a good time. But your lord and master felt otherwise. I don't know, perhaps they were having a bad day.

But that's the point. You can't let your personal issues dictate how you run a public channel. You must remain balanced and if you feel the issue is getting out of hand or becomes personal...bleh, then by all means - contact me or them. But don't shame the individual and jettison them.

For the record, I love Mabinogi. I just don't approve of how it's managed or how it runs sometimes. Lots of people here don't. But that was construed as me hating the game. I was told to stop playing as the solution. I am honestly still confused about what happened at the time. It oddly escalated quickly without barely any effort from me.

-shrugs-

Anyway...

We have the NUA's from each server. They could help moderate stuff. Also that last part is untrue, there are plenty of players that play on multiple servers.
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    @Gaea

Oh, sorry to hear. :v There goes that idea xD
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    No, I'm not giving up on this Berry.
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Sorry for the wall, I like to be thorough with my posts, but then apparently my posts only get skimmed. Well like I said I didn't know any details, and considering I haven't seen anyone get banned in the 2 1/2 ish months that I've been part of the server, it just seemed like whatever happened had to have been on the extreme side to get banned. And you telling your guild that nothing but junk came from the event DOES affect how they'll view the event and if they'll participate. You may have not told them to not do it, but you definitely gave it a bad taste. Obviously it's ultimately it's up to them if they participate, but the discouraging comments didn't give anyone who may have been on the fence a reason to do the event.

However, I'm sorry if I assumed you had broken the rules, since that seemed to be the only way anyone would get banned. The one who runs the discord channel, however, is not my lord and master. I've never spoken to him in my life, I mostly just watch the marketing aspects of the discord, but from what I've seen through their chats with the server as a whole they seem to be very fair, and listen to actual criticism. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have taken kindly to someone telling me how to run my server either. And unfortunately, things like that are up for debate because where you may not think you were rude or offensive, others may have and might take what you say the wrong way as a result. And I completely agree that Mabi has it's own set of issues, but I guess sometimes that "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" cliché has some stock to it. Like I said, I don't know the details and was just trying to understand why you may have been banned when I haven't seen any issues since I joined despite its growing population.

Also I'm aware some players play on multiple servers, but for the most part they main one or maybe two. That still doesn't help the fact that there would be literally dozens of text channels with most of them being irrelevant. I know they can be muted, but it would be a mess compared to each server just hosting their own discord server. I can't picture it any other way. There is a non server specific discord that is on the side-bar of the reddit, but I'm not sure how active it is and it doesn't have server specific things like a market channel. But one does exist if you wanted to check that out.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 1, 2017
    It's been more than a few months, maybe they changed. I don't know. I can tell you that I wasn't being a racist bigot or anything extreme like that. From what I gather they just didn't like me. Oh well.

You seem salty about that event. I said -that- after someone else said that in the guild chat and I agreed and told them that yeah nothing but junk comes out from that event. If people are going to be gullible and believe that - it's not my fault they believe that based on a opinion. Get over it.

Welp that is probably why you never crossed anyone there. I like to be social and involved. I have opinions and suggestions, however those things were taken in offence at the time despite me trying to be as polite as possible. Again you were not there and this me trying to express the general gist of what happened because it was so long ago even though I don't have to oblige you.

Seriously, why is this important to you? You're almost defending that channel and you are barely involved as you pointed out.

And I will continue to point out that privately owned servers have a tendency to be run by individuals who can potentially be biased and unbalanced. If a Nexon employee or volunteer was involved I sincerely believe that would be less of an issue. So here is an idea...I and kind of thank you for this. Why don't we have official discord channels for each server ran by one GM plus a couple of their volunteers? That way it's not a hot mess of all the servers at once.

Also a discord channel does NOT need as many sub channels as that channel does.
  • CarlizeCarlize
    I am upset over how the event played out compared to the sky lantern event, but I obviously don't blame that on your guild's lack of participation. They were just part of it, as were others who didn't want to bother with the event or those who had shops up and couldn't enter Festia. But it's an example of what someone saying having a reaction, which is what I was trying to convey, although evidently poorly. And I was unaware what you said regarding the event was a reaction as nothing in the forum thread I'm looking back on referred to that, but whether you or the other person said it first, it had the same impact.

And I mean people are human and of course can be biased, I'm just surprised from what I've seen. But I can only vouch for the past 2 1/2 months or so, so they definitely may have changed their methods. I don't know what happened from before I joined. But make no mistake, I am definitely defending the server at least as it is now. While I may not talk frequently, that's less due to a lack of interest and more that I don't feel the need to say meaningless things. I'll talk when it's relevant, and I still feel like part of the community. But it's about much more than just me.

The discord offers a way to get life skill help, get raids and parties together, buy and sell items, get price checks and questions answered, and more. People are able to interact with others that they may not have ever spoken to otherwise. With Ruairi being as small as it is, this offers a way for the community to get much closer than it normally would have otherwise. This could of course just be my view of it, but from what I've seen the discord has helped a lot of people, and it takes a lot of effort from the people who run and volunteer for the discord to keep it running as smoothly as it has. I returned to Mabi almost 2 years ago at this point and this is the first time I've seen the server really come together and foster a sense of community. It just feels unfair to attack the personalities of the people running the discord when they've done so much to help the server as a whole.

As for having 4 separate discords, it would solve the clutter issue but it would make even more work for the GM than 1 discord server would. Maybe if there were people who wanted to volunteer, like the forum volunteer moderators, wanted to do it it'd be feasible. But asking the GMs to take on more of a workload seems either unlikely that they'd agree, or the focus on that would take away from some other aspect where they're needed. As far as I'm aware, it's the same staff who handles all 11 of their games. I've been told by someone who looked into interning at Nexon that their office reminded them of a dentist office in size and amount of employees. An official discord doesn't feel possible when they don't seem to have enough people to handle everything as is.
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Gaea said:

No, I'm not giving up on this Berry.
    Oh I didn't mean the idea of an all server discord. I meant of tge Rua one since they kicked you. Sorry lol.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    What...

New year's even is over. lol.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 1, 2017
    @Carlize

Half of them participated the other half including myself decided to use the glow-sticks for training seals. Seemed like a better investment IMO.

Just watch your back, that is not a threat from me.

Yeah that's why I joined. Another criticism I had at the time was lack of responses for those things.

I'm done being redundant with you. Btw, not everything has to be a paragraph.
  • SabinaSabina
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,700
    Hello!

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, at this time we will not be opening an official Discord. You are more than welcome to run your own channel if you'd like!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    That's the problem. Do you not see the problem? TT____TT
  • YoorahYoorah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    edited January 3, 2017
    Did someone say fowl language?
    http://i.imgur.com/qLetj1Q.gif

I can see why Nexon wouldn't want to run an official server. At the same time, it's fair to say there can be issues with player-ran servers, as the people who run them could be of questionable character. So just make one for you and your friends, and be happy.
    Aava
This discussion has been closed.