Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

General Respect/Handling Grief

ParadoxLostParadoxLost
Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
edited August 28, 2017 in General Chat
So recently (last month or so) there's been a couple incidents in Tarlach of certain unnamed people verbally attacking others. One particular incident involves one well known -removed- of a player coming up to another and calling them a specific name knowing exactly how it would effect the other. I'm not exactly innocent of grieving myself and i take responsibility to that. My question to the community is what do you do? When blacklisting doesnt block notes and reporting will only get them a temporary ban at most, how do you handle the grief and disrespect and keep it from bothering you too much? Do you stand up for the person being attacked or do you keep your head down and walk away?

Comments

• SugarAngelSugarAngel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    edited August 28, 2017
    If you show proof of consistent harassment, and continually reporting them to Nexon, eventually it will lead to a permanent ban, especially since the other party has likely told them to stop, however, if both attack one another, it doesn't matter, you're both at fault.

My advice, just keep reporting them. If they really desire to torture someone that much, Nexon will be glad to do justice. As for the intervention part .. If you can stand up for them in a civil way, do it. If you can't, you might just have to watch. There isn't a lot to do, especially with a strict ToS.
    ParadoxLost[Deleted User]AtaraxizMariangelica
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    I would directly talk to person and ask them why they do this and cause them to think about what they just did.

Confronting the rude person and pointing out their behaviour is better than doing nothing.
    It can work miracles.
    ParadoxLost[Deleted User]
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    Well, since I am also on Tarlach, I have a fair idea of who you are talking about.

I say just collect proof of the harassment and throw it towards reports.
    Just try to help you and your friend keep under control during such.

As stated above, if both sides appear at fault, the report could do nothing or even backfire.

As for how I handle things, well I honestly just don't care about such.
    Most people who do this get their kicks out of reactions or some other pointless feeling.
    So don't react and don't respond. Take away their fun.
    And if they continue to cause harassment outside of chat? Even easier to report them.
    badnewsbarrettParadoxLost[Deleted User]TheNyanCatSherri
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    I'm on Tarlach and this is the first I've heard of this but it kinda makes me glad I'm not really playing right now >.>;

But I agree with what's being said above. Just keep taking screenshots and reporting them. If you have any friends around or so that are seeing it happen as well, see if maybe they'll take screenshots and send in reports too. You can stand up for that person, but don't get too heated, because then you're just as guilty in Nexon's eyes and you can be reported back.

If it's someone else who's being abused, maybe try to make friends with them and do things with them in game. Maybe if the attackers see them with large groups of people, they'll back off. If you see the harassment starting, just keep taking screenshots and don't even respond; just go quiet in the chat or even switch to another channel if you can. If the harassment is through Notes as well, open them and take screenshots and close them right away, don't respond, possibly keep them for further documentation if that's ever needed. Either that or just don't even open them at all, maybe even delete them if it's too much.
    ParadoxLost[Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited August 28, 2017
    I'm not the kind to get into drama. I love to watch it from afar though. Quality entertainment. :)
    However, if it's a friend who is getting bullied, nobody gets away with it.

Mari is a breeding ground for drama. Trust me.
    ParadoxLostGretaNekoLily[Deleted User]TheNyanCatKazuhanoriAtaraxiz
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Not much else. I'd say just leave for a month or two and come back.
    [Deleted User]Kazuhanori
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    I think my time spent in Maplestory's absolute train-wreck of a community back in the late 2000's sorta trained me to ignore things like that to a rather large extent, but there's a limit to what I ignore towards myself. If I see it's bugging someone else who I know has done no provocation I'll report it, but such circumstances are very rare as a lot of the abuse I've seen is two sided.

Document everything you can from both sides and start a file that you can just submit and continue to amend through ticket notes. The more complete and compelling your case is, the more likely they are to act on the first report.
    [Deleted User]ParadoxLostSherri
  • ForgetmenotForgetmenot
    Mabinogi Rep: 660
    Don't let someone else's opinion of you and your friends become your reality. Especially someone hiding behind a screen.
    [Deleted User]ParadoxLostSherri
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    everyone in mabi has the ability to send a ticket if they have no preventable methods to keep a person a way.
    including reporting, sending a ticket, and black listing.

If these options (which are pretty much the only options) aren't working for you, then you always have the right to leave the game.
    (no reason for someone to play a game that has a lack of care for evidence harassment.)

But yeah send a ticket. - thats one of the options "others" didnt do. it happen plenty before and once someone sends a ticket to staff i never hear about it again. (which is much different then in game reporting)
    [Deleted User]ParadoxLost
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    It takes two or more people to argue. There is no such thing as a one person argument (unless you're mentally ill, of course). I cannot (nor should anyone else) answer your question properly (or even legitimately) without knowing both sides of the story (there is no such thing as a one sided story). I am sure this person chose the other person for no reason at all, and I am sure you could have asked for this information in the form of a ticket or in private to a parent or a friend close-by; as opposed to in front of a public audience serving no purpose outside of fanning the flames.

I agree it takes two people to argue, but it only takes one person to be nasty and attack someone for really no good reason; I've had it happen to me before because some random guy asked me out and I said no, and he felt the need to call me names I can't repeat here before blocking me. I've seen it happen to my friends who have been yelled at for not selling items at lower prices/not selling to people at all. But just because you don't know both sides of the story doesn't mean you should stand by and let bullying happen. If you see someone being attacked, then yes, as a bystander, you have the right to make a report, even if they don't know both sides.
    ParadoxLostSherriTheDumbOne
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Liyeta wrote: »
    It takes two or more people to argue. There is no such thing as a one person argument (unless you're mentally ill, of course). I cannot (nor should anyone else) answer your question properly (or even legitimately) without knowing both sides of the story (there is no such thing as a one sided story). I am sure this person chose the other person for no reason at all, and I am sure you could have asked for this information in the form of a ticket or in private to a parent or a friend close-by; as opposed to in front of a public audience serving no purpose outside of fanning the flames.

I agree it takes two people to argue, but it only takes one person to be nasty and attack someone for really no good reason; I've had it happen to me before because some random guy asked me out and I said no, and he felt the need to call me names I can't repeat here before blocking me. I've seen it happen to my friends who have been yelled at for not selling items at lower prices/not selling to people at all. But just because you don't know both sides of the story doesn't mean you should stand by and let bullying happen. If you see someone being attacked, then yes, as a bystander, you have the right to make a report, even if they don't know both sides.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. ~ More often than not; both sides are equally at fault (if one person can know who the op is referring to; what makes you think the person they're referencing doesn't see it too? - hence fanning the flames; aka trolling). You're the only person in control of your emotions. No one decides when you won't react, when you will react, or when you'll overreact. No one but you.

Nilrem wrote: »
    Well, since I am also on Tarlach, I have a fair idea of who you are talking about.

As stated above, if both sides appear at fault, the report could do nothing or even backfire.

Most people who do this get their kicks out of reactions or some other pointless feeling.
    And if they continue to cause harassment outside of chat? Even easier to report them.
    I think its the not very often case.
    Since the person said is quite well known for doing so.
    It doesn't matter if that person is Jesus Christ. This thread is a violation of the forum rules (user harassment).

It's a violation because you all acknowledge the person (target) being harassed as someone other than the op.

As long as they don't name names in this public thread?
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost

That's not what I'm saying at all. ~ More often than not; both sides are equally at fault (if one person can know who the op is referring to; what makes you think the person they're referencing doesn't see it too? - hence fanning the flames; aka trolling). You're the only person in control of your emotions. No one decides when you won't react, when you will react, or when you'll overreact. No one but you.

It doesn't matter if that person is Jesus Christ. This thread is a violation of the forum rules (user harassment).

It's a violation because you all acknowledge the person (target) being harassed as someone other than the op.

No its not a violation of forum rule since none of us are doing direct attack to the person nor op.

Hmm now that i think of it, maybe we are not looking at the same rules. Mind quoting the rule that we break ?
    It's okay if you wish to pretend this thread is not referring to a specific person and that a number of you know who that person is. Including that person. It makes no difference to me either way. It is what it is. Harassment. ~ and I don't think you need me to point out what part of the rules that's covered under. The point you seem to be missing is that this person can come here and report this thread, and they'd be 100% in the right, because this discussion is about them. ~ Put the shoe on the other foot.

This post breaks no rules. If it did you could have reported it yourself. So go ahead and be my guest. The report button should be somewhere at the bottom of the post.
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost

No its not a violation of forum rule since none of us are doing direct attack to the person nor op.

Hmm now that i think of it, maybe we are not looking at the same rules. Mind quoting the rule that we break ?
    It's okay if you wish to pretend this thread is not referring to a specific person and that a number of you know who that person is. Including that person. It makes no difference to me either way. It is what it is. Harassment. ~ and I don't think you need me to point out what part of the rules that's covered under. The point you seem to be missing is that this person can come here and report this thread, and they'd be 100% in the right, because this discussion is about them. ~ Put the shoe on the other foot.

This post breaks no rules. If it did you could have reported it yourself. So go ahead and be my guest. The report button should be somewhere at the bottom of the post.
    Have you invited the topic of the discussion to your thread? When do we (the audience) get to read the other half of the story?

~ and no worries ... I did the report thing an hour ago. :)

And its still up..weird..this thread is a discussion about general harassment and and how to ignore or handle it. If you think someone deserves to be invited then be my guest. But its not my job to do so.
    Sherri
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost

Have you invited the topic of the discussion to your thread? When do we (the audience) get to read the other half of the story?

And its still up..weird..this thread is a discussion about general harassment and and how to ignore or handle it. If you think someone deserves to be invited then be my guest. But its not my job to do so.
    The bots I reported are also still up; that doesn't mean they'll remain there indefinitely. There's no way to legitimize this. You are clearly seeking a public audience for a one sided defense against someone who hasn't shared their side of the story. What if they're more reasonable than you are (or more right)? ~ Did that ever occur to anyone? Who is to say or ultimately decide who is more right and more wrong?

What makes you morally superior in this equation?

Who are you to decide what this conversation is about? What makes you think I'm even involved in the overall equation? Cuz my name might be associated with one or more parties? Cuz I posted about it? I posted about it cuz I'm tired of hearing about people getting harassed and wanted to seek advice from the community on how they would or have handled it. The only side to this is one person calling another names and bullying them. If you find that to be out of my rights and against the rules. To seek advice from my peers then so be it. Not my problem. But if you can justify someone being called names. Someone who was in no way involved in anything anyone had done. Then you're the one in the wrong. I can fight my own fights and anyone that knows me can tell you that. I dont need a community to back my up. I hold no grudges. But when random or innocent people are being harassed theres an issue. And it needs to be talked about. You think I'm talking about one person. But I'm not talking about one person, I'm talking about multiple. This is not an isolated incident. And this has gone on long enough. My overall objective with this post was and is to seek advice from my more mature peers about what to do. And to hopefully spread some awareness about intercommunity bullying.
    SherriKazuhanori
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    edited August 29, 2017
    Define the word harassment?

Tarlach is the least populated server in the game..its not hard to guess who is and who isn't guilty of bullying..

Edit:
    ha·rass·ment
    həˈrasmənt,ˈherəsmənt

noun

aggressive pressure or intimidation.

"the state also grants us the right to pursue this belief without any form of persecution or harassment"

synonyms: persecution, intimidation, pressure, force, coercion; informalhassle

"the report cites three separate accusations of harassment"
    Sherri
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    Define the word harassment?

Tarlach is the least populated server in the game..its not hard to guess who is and who isn't guilty of bullying..
    ~ and this takes us back to what I've already said....

When do we get to read the other half of the story?

You dont get to..there is no other side of the story..there is no story. There is no accusations. There is only an attempt to communicate and seek advice. Those who are guilty of bullying know it, those who arent arent. They wanna stand up and give their half then they can..i cant believe you're even trying to justify someone calling another names and harassing them..
    Sherri
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    On a final note from me, thank you all very much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it. Feel like not enough thanks are given on this site so heres one to everyone that wasnt trolling.
    Sherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited August 29, 2017

Don't be that dude, dude. You're just lighting yourself on fire for nothing.
    ParadoxLostSherriKazuhanori
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    When do we get to read the other half of the story?
    You dont get to..there is no other side of the story..there is no story. There is no accusations. There is only an attempt to communicate and seek advice. Those who are guilty of bullying know it, those who arent arent. They wanna stand up and give their half then they can..i cant believe you're even trying to justify someone calling another names and harassing them..
    ......One particular incident involves one well known -removed- of a player......

Troll Rating 11/10

...yes because a name totally fits there grammatically and it wasnt an admin removing a swear word at all..
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265

We don't, and we shouldn't.
    Then it'd be officially drama.
    And become a true kangaroo court.

~~~~

~gavel banging~

All rise, Judge Public Opinion presiding over the case of General Chat v. Mystery Tarlachian.
    Order in the court!

~~~~

But really, it's vague, with no names, so no one on the outside would think it's much more than a general discussion about whether or not you'd take a proactive role in helping keep Mabi harassment down, or be some kind of complicit observer, with a mention of the discussion being brought on by a recent incident that they witnessed.
    That is what it looks like to me, a Marian who doesn't know who the one in question is.

It looks like the OP wanted some empathy.
    Or advice.
    At worst, it's just venting through vagueposting.
    It's not a call to arms to rise up against someone who, as you've mentioned a few times, could probably have a side of the story that is more than "I purposely set someone off for laughs".

If it was purely to vent, just let them get it out of their system.
    Let them get the advice and opinions they asked for.
    If a name were to get named, that's when the mods would swoop in, edit it out, and lock the thread to spare the person from harassment or counter-harassment.

Unless that happens, any lock on this thread is probably going to be caused by it going horrendously off-topic.
    And that can stop right now.
    SherriParadoxLostPolicroma
This discussion has been closed.