Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Dan tests are unbalanced and unfair

Comments

• BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    yessiree wrote: »
    Oh woe is me! For my progress has been set back for one whole day!

It almost feels like shortening the timespan to obtain dan 3 from a matter of months to a matter of days is a mistake or something.

Old system: go in with three friends, and at least one of you gets progress with a passing score! Plus there are no hidden score mechnics aside all clears!
    New system: go in solo, pass with a low score and too bad. Oh you want entirely clear and up front scoring mechanics? I'm sorry.

You have to learn how to pass these things with the high scores you need. Learning isn't accomplished in a 5 minute session done once every 24 hours. And I KNOW how the old system worked (Dan 3'd both the life skills and most of the combat tab stuff on it) and I'm not saying this isn't an improvement from that. What I'm saying is we don't have the individual experimentation time needed to figure out all of these stupid hidden score mechanics in some of the exams (Healing being one of them).
    Sherri
  • yessireeyessiree
    Mabinogi Rep: 840
    Idk, I think I prefer discovering hidden mechanics for new content over having spoon fed all the information beforehand.

Especially when we have a community wiki that we can all contribute as well.
    lceCreamFelice
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Oh woe is me! For my progress has been set back for one whole day!

It almost feels like shortening the timespan to obtain dan 3 from a matter of months to a matter of days is a mistake or something.

Old system: go in with three friends, and at least one of you gets progress with a passing score! Plus there are no hidden score mechnics aside all clears!
    New system: go in solo, pass with a low score and too bad. Oh you want entirely clear and up front scoring mechanics? I'm sorry.

You have to learn how to pass these things with the high scores you need. Learning isn't accomplished in a 5 minute session done once every 24 hours. And I KNOW how the old system worked (Dan 3'd both the life skills and most of the combat tab stuff on it) and I'm not saying this isn't an improvement from that. What I'm saying is we don't have the individual experimentation time needed to figure out all of these stupid hidden score mechanics in some of the exams (Healing being one of them).
    Could always hop in and do a run purely to experiment, course you'd have to pay the fee and such. but doing it this way gives ya plenty of time to leave.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Idk, I think I prefer discovering hidden mechanics for new content over having spoon fed all the information beforehand.

When you start charging 30 thousand gold per attempt at picking apart a system that isn't transparent it becomes a lot less fun than figuring out a puzzle in a generation quest that costs you nothing to reattempt instantly.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited September 1, 2017
    Syao wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    People used to go all out creating guides on the forums. Nowadays it's all lame and boring. Just tons of bitching.

Yeah I'm bitching about how i won't know if my firebolt damage earned me enough bonus points to pass the test until I actually finish the test. Would be nice to know ahead of time so that I can leave before I waste another day getting S rank when I need SS rank to get dan 3 firebolt. I already know how to pass with SS rank for firebolt (I just need one more SS rank pass to get dan 3) but i keep failing with 11.5k points because the bonus points range from 1-2k. 4 combo card seals is nothing when you can just do advancement tests on your alts.

Here's some inspiration for you my dude.
    lceCream
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited September 1, 2017

When you start charging 30 thousand gold per attempt at picking apart a system that isn't transparent it becomes a lot less fun than figuring out a puzzle in a generation quest that costs you nothing to reattempt instantly.

lol 30k is nothing for most players. Just stop buying fashion for awhile
    if you're doing dan you should be able to afford it anyway
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    lceCream wrote: »

It starts to bite into my bank when I need to soft reset an exam ten times a day because I didn't do enough damage, get corner camped by an instant aggro spawn, or get poor luck with crafting requests.
  • NanocaNanoca
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245

Agreed, with Mabiflation, 30 K is annoying, but not that much.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Nanoca wrote: »
    Agreed, with Mabiflation, 30 K is annoying, but not that much.

I've probably spent close to 2mil already and haven't gotten anything to Dan 3 yet, so it can get to be a bit much if your luck, skill, and knowledge in that exam are lacking.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    edited September 1, 2017
    I just gave up on wanting to Dan things for a bit. I'll probably feel motivated again when someone start showing off all Dan3 alchemy skills. Mostly so I can bug them about SS'ing Sandburst.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Raishii wrote: »
    I just gave up on wanting to Dan things for a bit. I'll probably feel motivated again when someone start showing off all Dan3 alchemy skills. Mostly so I can bug them about SS'ing Sandburst.

In case you weren't aware, there's a bonus every time you blind 5 enemies within ~12 seconds. So if you make a cycle of blinding monsters in the first wave, you can get about half the points you need for SS before they die. I found that bum rushing to the bonus wave with close combat didn't work out super well the single time I tried it, but that might be something else to try if you can't get to 12k without it.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    lol 30k is nothing for most players.

No. Just.. no. Quit talking like the majority of the population of Mabinogi are elitist/fashionogi.
    BuffalosShouKNilrem
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Sherri wrote: »
    No. Just.. no. Quit talking like the majority of the population of Mabinogi are elitist/fashionogi.

To be fair Dan ranks were always meant to be "end game" content. That being said, trying to make the entry fee a moot point in this is an insult to a lot of people.
    Erorserv
  • SyaoSyao
    Mabinogi Rep: 345
    Syao wrote: »
    People used to go all out creating guides on the forums. Nowadays it's all lame and boring. Just tons of bitching.

Yeah I'm bitching about how i won't know if my firebolt damage earned me enough bonus points to pass the test until I actually finish the test. Would be nice to know ahead of time so that I can leave before I waste another day getting S rank when I need SS rank to get dan 3 firebolt. I already know how to pass with SS rank for firebolt (I just need one more SS rank pass to get dan 3) but i keep failing with 11.5k points because the bonus points range from 1-2k. 4 combo card seals is nothing when you can just do advancement tests on your alts.

Here's some inspiration for you my dude.

Man I wish I was so lag free that I had the luxury of spawning lightning sprites and still being able to pass the test. Wish I was lucky enough that all 3 Giant ice sprites spawn right next to me and decided to load defense rather that instantly spamming CC4+ ice bolt or ice spear.

I guess the only difference in the method is charging firebolt twice per shot. Appreciate the video, I know no korean so I don;t know where to look for vids like that.
  • yessireeyessiree
    Mabinogi Rep: 840

tbh, you can't really put a price on knowledge.

Think of all the future 30ks that are saved by the early pioneers' investment.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    tbh, you can't really put a price on knowledge.

Think of all the future 30ks that are saved by the early pioneers' investment.

Assuming nothing is changed in this system, there will be no gold saved by pioneers because most of the tests require luck based elements to align nearly perfectly.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited September 2, 2017
    discovering hidden mechanics?, learning?, i dont know if the people who are saying that are trolls or just nexon workers spreading misinformation, the mayority of dan tests specially dan 3 require luck, only luck and nothing more than luck, koreans have no imagination or creativity, they just rng everything, here is where the localization should apply but looks like na staff dont care about it, to hell with this content, until i see a fix i am not going to do it ever again, and about the gold, ppl can spend over 1m per day trying to get a good score, which most of the time never happens, and 1 more thing, why we only have 5 minutes?, we dont have the same internet speed than korea genius!!! >.>
    SherriBuffalos
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    To be fair, there's another thread where people are creating guides.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    To further add to the cost point, I know full well what i'm supposed to do in the Sand Burst and Flame Burst exams before I went to do my daily try just now. I started with 600k gold in my inventory, and when I got a run that I could get the needed SS rank in Flame Burst I left with 30k gold in my inventory. The amount of luck with spawns and their positioning needed to keep aggro under control is absurd.
This discussion has been closed.