Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Nexon, please address the botting situation.

Comments

• IstikuIstiku
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    Liyeta wrote: »
    @morbius17 ask the forum dev to limit 1 new thread an hour for new forum member.
    Chances are if this were implemented the bots would just create new throw away accounts to get around this.
    Kokoro wrote: »
    Maybe a captcha when you make a new thread or something?
    Probably the best/easiest solution. Could potentially life this requirement after a certain amount of time/posts to let regulars not be overly inconvenienced.
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Morning! What a mess today! :C Cleanup begins!
    MissFortuneSaiAtaraxizRoyaltySiodhan
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Shoog wrote: »

Shoog <3 Morning!! Poor thing, gotta clean up bot mess xwx
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Shoog wrote: »

Out with the trash.
    sqx3p91.gif

At least for the morning...
    AtaraxizBlissfulkill
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    -tells people gms need to delete bots and stop using others as search dogs and just log in to do more then just deliver mail-
    -gets told bots will just re-appear again-
    -still see people looking for bots to be removed-
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    When you delete them, just keep their namespaces so that they have to try really hard to re-use a previously deleted randomized name
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited September 4, 2017
    Just by deleting post won't do much for bots. They'll keep do this until forum closes.

Need better solution other than cleaning them up.. One of my old website used to get spammed by bots, regardless bots nationality, like this until I apply robot.txt thingy.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Well, somebody's "approving" these bots if the top of the forum is to be believed.

Honestly, I think it might be easier to require new threads to be "approved" until a mod flags the account as an actual human. (Should only be once for most people.)
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited September 5, 2017
    But even if we limit the threads made, wouldn't they just make more bot accounts to spam to make up for the lower thread allotment? Too bad they don't have an auto-delete program set up to auto-detect/delete Korean text with the exception of it being a user name because I know there's one user name in Korean that's linked up to the "Introducing the Global Mabinogi Discord Server!" thread in General. Also, this wouldn't affect pictures, just text, so those who report to us about what's coming out in Korea wouldn't be hindered.

Maybe turn the European Community (where other language chats are allowed) tab to "Around the World" or something, but still hold the same ability it has, but broaden the meaning than just being directed at European natives, and make that the only area in the forums where Korean would be allowed outside of usernames. It appears seldom used anyway (last post was Aug 21), so if they are able to post the stuff there and only there (if at all), it won't get a lot traffic and it would be a lot easier to clean up than the multiple categories that get hit daily/nightly.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Policroma wrote: »
    Well, somebody's "approving" these bots if the top of the forum is to be believed.

Honestly, I think it might be easier to require new threads to be "approved" until a mod flags the account as an actual human. (Should only be once for most people.)

That sounds a lot like what "new forum users have to be approved before posting" was supposed to do. The only difference is where the approval step occurs (before a thread is written vs after), and that step seems to be...not working right.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I predict the person doing this is a dirtbag who speaks English natively (hates being referred to as a 3 year old) and thinks it's an insult to use Korean, when spamming. That's why they do it. It's like an enraged monkey slinging feces at a wall; Except when they do it, it's because they didn't get what they want from gachapon or something really stupid. I'd bet my bottom dollar their IP pool is in N. America without a proxy.

Theory milling who could be behind this won't get us anywhere, but I doubt this is some dirtbag who has a hate crush on Nexon. The links they are posting that I've looked at do lead to some app store pages that are real (albeit, it's Chinese Bootleg "real"). If anything they're wanting people to install malware to do...something.
    Ataraxiz
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I wasn't theory milling anything. My last communication with 'the bot' was in English and was initiated after my calling them a 3 year old.

I rarely say things for my health..

Wasn't implying you were theory milling, it was me saying "I DON'T LIKE THIS BUT"
    [Deleted User]
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Like I said back on the first page, why not try implementing a questionnaire new forum users have to answer before they can be approved?
    [Deleted User]
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    I JUST got on this morning and bots had already started posting new threads as I got online :/