Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Best melee 2H?

DFDFDDFDFD
Mabinogi Rep: 555
edited September 5, 2017 in Help
On my Giant I'm currently using a Black Dragon Knight Giant Sword which has 140-232 damage.
I'm rather content with it but I've told that some weapons can beat that damage when fully upgraded and special upgraded.
Can anyone recommend what weapon I ahould switch to?

Comments

• EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    Fanatic Greatsword or Frosted Borealis Blade.
    But then Bashing with Frosted Borealis Hammer x2 became much stronger now.
    [Deleted User]
  • MarithMarith
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    Most weapons can beat the black dragon knight giant sword when fully upped/special upped.

Fanatic Greatsword and Frosted Borealis blade both give giants double bash with a two-hander. The fanatic's pretty easy to get, the borealis would be a significantly more involved process, since, at least for me, the drop rates on the giant materials is abysmal.

Also a good celtic royal warrior axe goes a long way with wind guard's full swing, if you can keep up your stamina (Be warned that wind guard has developed a nasty habit of locking your character down.)
    [Deleted User]
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Can you please explain how these surpass black dragon?
    Fanatic for example is 63-127 with max rolls after normal upgrade , then special upgrades would make it at most 93-184 at +7..
    [Deleted User]
  • MarithMarith
    edited September 5, 2017
    You wouldn't use a blue special upgrade. The main thing that makes the black dragon knight's giant sword undesirable is that it cannot get the crit damage bonus from red ups.

In the current statistical atmosphere in Mabi, the breakpoint for whether a red upped weapon surpasses a blue is very low. This same concept applies to the black dragon knight's giant sword.

I don't have the exact calculations, but I can assure you that as you near the mid-game point, red special upgraded weapons will outperform blue weapons, and these gacha "Super" weapons in almost every situation.

Also, bash has everything to do with the equation. If you're asking "What's the best weapon?" You consider all aspects of the question, one of which is the DPS. So maybe you only deal 95% of your damage with a new sword on a bash, but you can bash with it twice as fast, you're definitely doing more damage.

Add on enchants for another, let's just say 30-40 damage, and the black dragon knight's giant sword only has the advantage that you only need to obtain one to get the best performance out of it (Minus reforges, which are an even playing ground other than the fact that many gacha BDKs come with r1 preforges.)

The question had already been answered twice.

If you're sword and shielding as a giant, a step 5/6 red upgraded, an enchanted fanatic greatsword or frosted Borealis blade is preferable to the black dragon knight giant sword, if not now, then later when you have more base stats.

And if you're looking for a true two-hander, the celtic royal warrior axe or royal warrior hammer with red ups and enchants are also good contenders.

In both cases, your average damage per hit will be higher.

Edit: Running the numbers shows a much closer gap than I am portraying. The break point for a fanatic greatsword with step 6 red to overtake the black dragon knight giant sword is higher than I recognized. The calculations I did were not accounting for any enchants, titles or music buffs, and only projected singular smash values (no bash, as it heavily favors the fanatic), however. The ultimate conclusion I draw is that a step 6 red fanatic greatsword will still win out over the black dragon knight's giant sword in the late-game, but not the "Mid-game" as I previously stated.

In the long run, you are free to use whichever weapon you choose. If the BDK serves you well, there's no reason to go hanging it up, but you did ask "What should I use instead?" and the community answered.

As an aside, the absolute best melee two-hander is the soluna blade. With higher base stats than the BDK, the ability to special upgrade and enchant, and double bash.

Or so the legend goes.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    DFDFD wrote: »
    Can you please explain how these surpass black dragon?
    Fanatic for example is 63-127 with max rolls after normal upgrade , then special upgrades would make it at most 93-184 at +7..

As mentioned in detail by Marith you don't go S on weapons because you miss out on the massive damage potential from criticals, the dragon weapons are basically beefed up S steps of the normal weapons. The normal weapons may pale in comparison in terms of raw min/max they offer much higher critical damage provided you have the stats to back it up. At step 5 an extra 50% of your max attack is added to your damage, with r1 smash as a giant that is 300% of max added to your critical smashes. If you have 1k max that's an easy 3k+ damage added to your smash crits.

Also in the case of the Fanatic sword it's best use is for double bash, doing 800% of your damage in 1~2 seconds is just crazy fast compared to smash spamming. Only weapons of normal speed and higher can perform double bashes and the sword you're using at the moment isn't one of them, I would keep using the sword if it was a pre reforged r1 and has smash/elemental lines on it or if you're still just starting out but otherwise I would grab a fanatic at some point down the road.
    [Deleted User]
  • MarithMarith
    However, if you're over current level 100, you can use the giant's racial Ladeca skill to double bash with the Black Dragon Knight's Giant Sword, since it pushes close combat weapons over to the next step up in speed classes.

The uptime wouldn't be enough for sustained usage, but for a boss it'd give you enough.
    [Deleted User]
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Thanks for your advice. I opted for a Silence Girgashiy Fanatic Greatsword. Hope it's a good investment.
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    edited September 6, 2017
  • MarithMarith
    It will be, although since that has a 5x repair cost multiplier, I'd suggest you use your BDK sword for the easier dungeons/shadow missions you do. Or you might find yourself hemorrhaging gold.
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Well not going too well so far at 4S.
    But that's because my BDK has level 15 smash damage, so I have a lot of reforging to do.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    DFDFD wrote: »
    Well not going too well so far at 4S.
    But that's because my BDK has level 15 smash damage, so I have a lot of reforging to do.

Also what is your mix/max without weapons? As mentioned already if you're still starting out raw damage is better for you, critical damage is for a bit later into the game.