Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Questions about new Mabinogi

ReziRezi
Mabinogi Rep: 300
edited September 6, 2017 in Help
Hi! :)

I'm currently playing Vindi but I might come back to Mabi when I'm done. I'm pretty sure my characters got lost in the merge, so I'll be starting over. Before I was doing a dual sword / martial arts human and I, uh...failed at it, badly. I know some things have changed, but I want to know these things specifically:

1) Are Windmill and Refine still the first two skills to train? Are there any new ones to look out for like them?

2) Did Elves and Giants get their intro story back or are they still defaulted to G1? And is there a free Human card now or do players still need to pick Human first and grab the Elf/Giant cards to get all 3 free?

3) Did Giants get Ranged and Elves get Lance yet? I never understood why they didn't just make close-range skills easier/cheaper to train for G, long-range for E, and life for H, but let all races use all skills, so has this been fixed?

4) When I left, Saga (+intro) difficulty was a massive gap from previous chapters, just like Alch was on its release. Are there still massive difficulty gaps for later chapters? If not, has the difficulty curve gotten worse or better? How is CP configured with Total Level now?

5) I heard a rumor that revamped talents (CC/R/M) stopped charging up to use, instead becoming instant with cooldowns; this sounds terrible. Is it true?

6) Is the Vindi director the same one for Mabi? Vindi's director has been ruining that game, so I hope Mabi hasn't been massively nerfed as well.

7) I lost my 2nd Anniversary Mongo's hat due to the merge, and the site acts like my account's brand new. Is there a way to get it back? It was a St. Patty's green and I loved it. :/

Comments

• ReziRezi
    Didn't that merge result in a character wipe like Vindi? If not, then I might still have the hat...

Oh! And if I log in from Steam, it recognizes the Steam email as the Nexon account email, right? If not, that might be why my account seemed fresh.
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    edited September 6, 2017
    If you came from EU you need to start over, otherwise we haven't had a merge.

1. It's easier if you train them earlier, but while you're under 1k you get free resets from Duncan and can train all CP related skills easily. Even over 1k you can reset, it just costs gold. It helps to use this to get each talent to expert, and you end up with over 4k AP to play with before you're even level 1k.

2. Nope, we still lost our story. You now get 7 characters when you make a new account, which can be upped to 9 by having one be human and becoming elf/giant aligned.

3. No it's unnecessary. Chain mastery in the fighter talent did that by giving a bonus 20/30/40% depending on race, and I think that's stupid and unnecessary. Better to just have racial skills, as long as Nexon actually balances the stats accordingly. Elves shouldn't end up with only 20 more int than humans yet lose hundreds of strength by comparison. Also elves are the life skillers due to dex, not humans. Humans have had preferential treatment for way too long. We just got a giant revamp with more armor and weapons that allow giants to compete end-game with humans. Elves haven't gotten anything yet though.

4. They seem to scale well from what I've seen, most people complain about G19 and the final of G20 but they're not that bad as long as you're prepared. The difficulties go off of your total level, with highest difficulty happening at 1k, so it's best to try to get them done early. I've spammed saga on all my alts just by pet spamming so I could get the free pegasi, I can't imagine people find saga hard at all.

5. Yes it's true, what makes you think this would be terrible? It's a lot easier to actually fight using it. Maybe get online and try it out before having negative opinions on it. You can try out all the skill sets during a portion of the tutorial.

6. No idea, but Mabi's director has honestly been pretty awesome. He's revamping all the old things that were neglected, like skills, Grandmaster, Dans, etc. We're even getting flight in Tir/Dunby, which people had given up on since it'd been years since Korea had gotten it. And we have a new skillset coming out soon, chainblade, that relies on dex and luck. Compared to how human obsessed and uncaring the older directors seemed to be, this one is a really nice breath of fresh air.

7. You might be able to buy one off of a player and redye it but otherwise no. There's plenty of way nicer clothing options at this point though.

Edit: With the Steam bit, the emails don't have to be the same. But it locks the account into your steam account, so you don't have to enter your Nexon information every time you login. If you're signing onto the game via launcher or trying to get into the forums and the email isn't working, that's not due to steam.
    [Deleted User]Rezi
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    edited September 6, 2017
    1) no it depends on what you are trying to make a character, also now its 10x easier to level them up.

2) no and you do get free humans which have always been true

3) no

4) saga got easy after the new skill update

5) true

6) the old director got fired and we got a new one which has help Mabinogi a little in 2017

7) ask support
    Rezi
  • ReziRezi
    edited September 6, 2017
    Thanks for the help!

@Carlize

I wasn't saying that certain races should get more stats from certain skills. I was saying the cost to train a skill (training reqs and AP cost) should be lower for a race based on what kind of skill it is. Basically, Giants would be able to train close-range skills (melee) the fastest, Elves would train long-range (ranged, magic) the fastest, while Humans would train life (professions, FA, campfire, etc) the fastest. That's because Giants are more direct, Elves are more cautious, and Humans are more social. IMO this would still give each race their own specialty while keeping them the same at endgame.

--

Okay, extra question. If I started playing a new character for just Chapter 5 forward, and I wanted to use one of the non-classic talents, which ones should I choose and which should I leave alone? I like the idea if guns but I remember they were a pain to train because of str/int requirements, while ninja was an AP dump.
  • ReziRezi
    I never said I knew all about them. I played the game multiple times and I came back to find the forum not recognizing my account, so I figured there was a wipe.

I made a comment about how, if the devs are going to treat the races differently anyway, they should change training requirements based on what the races are good at (Giants are brawlers by nature, elves are ranged/magic users by nature, and humans are crafters/explorers by nature) rather than restricting weapon and skill options. This goes in line with how those races work - and, yes, it actually IS easier to train melee as Giant (which is why they forced Giants to do more actions to upgrade melee skills), it's also easier to train ranged and magic by default as an elf because of special abilities, and it IS easier to train life skills as a human because human cities and maps are best for that. It's fine to criticize, but don't act like those races don't already have those traits, because they do, and it's just more sensible imo to remove the weapon/skill limit in return for making training easier...which is honestly more realistic than saying it's impossible for Giants to use bows and Elves to dual wield.
  • ReziRezi
    Technically it still feels "new" to me. I haven't played since Saga 1, so all the QoL changes afterward have taken me for a loop, and I never did adjust well to Genesis in the first place. So there's a lot of stuff post-Gen that I'm confused or don't know about.
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Lets see....

1: Yes, Windmill is still one of the earliest skills recommended to rank, not because its a pain, but because of versatility. As for Refining.... that can be ranked fairly quickly when done along-side Metallurgy.

2: The Genesis Update completely removed the old Elf/Giant Intro/Transformation Quests. They now get a basic Intro and Gen 1, They get their Transformation in Gen 2 like Humans do. The only way you can do the old quests, is, if by some random act of god, you had a giant or elf made and those quests started before Genesis was added. As for Free Human cards, no, we are given (I believe) 5 Basic Character Cards to start with. The first one you use, will be given free premium choices during initial Character Creation, unless you have already made a character which would have made use of the free premium choices then. Existing Players who had accounts before these were added to the list of things new players get, were retroactively given 5 basic Character Cards.

3: Elves have not been given Lance, and Giants have not been given Archery. Based on LORE, the Giants refuse to have anything to do with Archery because the Elves use it. I'm also pretty sure that Elves do not use Lance for the exact same reason they cannot use two-handed Swords, and why Humans can only use a lance, while Giants can use a Lance with a shield. Short of Gae Bolg from the Fate Gacha, Lances are massive hunks of steel that are really, just unrealistic to use on foot, yet we are able to somehow.

4: As stated above, the difficulty of Generation Based content from Generation 9: Alchemist, onward, is based on your character's Total Level. In this case, Generation 18, or Saga, is a clear example of this. But for the sake of defining the system. Beginner = Lv 1 -> Lv 99 / Intermediate lv 100 -> Lv 299(499) / Advanced = Lv 300(500) -> Lv 999 / Hard Mode = Lv 1,000+. The only thing I am not sure on, is the transition from Intermediate to Advanced. Can't remember if the threshold is at Lv 300 or Lv 500.

5: You must mean the Renovations. The Renovations have been a major boon to Warrior/Close Combat Mostly to Humans dual-wielding Swords. Magic got Advanced level Lightning Magic and a few tweaks. Archery got the least number of improvements. Renovation also saw the Rebirth Update which overhauled the Dungeon System, as well as the introduction of Celtic-Grade weapons. To say these updates were terrible, is very short-sighted without having experienced them.

6: I have no idea who the Vindictus Director currently is, as I have not messed with the game since the Berserk Guts Knockoff was added. But no, he is not the current Mabinogi Director, as our current one has been a great boon for the game as a whole.

7: If your account is still active, and you were a player on the North American Server at any point, your characters still exist, there has been no character wipe or merger in the NA Server's 8-9 years of service. There was a MIGRATION of EU Server players to the NA Server due to Nexon EU either getting shut down or going bankrupt. So again, unless you are a migrating EU Player, and your account is still active and valid, your characters, and by extension, your 2nd Anniversary Mongo's Hat, still exist.

I hope this has been helpful.
    Rezi
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    Rezi wrote: »
    Thanks for the help!

@Carlize

*snip*

The thing is, it's extremely easy as is to train all of those combat talents. At 8x training I managed to r1 most of each of those talents per day. As in, it took me 1 day at 8x training to get almost all of magic from rF -> r1, etc. It's extremely easy. What isn't easy is life skills, which take weeks if not months to rank due to their high training count and requiring many materials to craft. So again it'd be humans who get the better end of the deal. And idk why you think human cities are better for life skills. Aside from carpentry, Filia has all of the necessities for life skills. Cooking pots, looms, Vales has furnaces, etc. In fact, by that argument Iria is better for life skills due to having the only locations to do Hillwen and Shyllien.

As for the non-classic talents bit, I'd leave puppetry alone. It's mostly for utility. Same with ninja, but the stats are worth it in the long run. I main gunner and I use this page to help me figure out the best stat:AP ratio I can get for strength and int, and train skills from multiple talents accordingly. Remember, mabi doesn't have a normal class system, so the game ultimately expects you to rank everything.

http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Stats_and_Skills

Rezi
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Windmill and Refine have gotten so easy to train that nowadays I rank them up alongside Combat Mastery and Production Mastery (would have been a huge mistake in 2009!)
    My noobie alts get it so much easier than my main did. >>

Speaking of noobie alts, the first thing I do on them is complete Saga 1 because it awards a free Pegasus pet that has a nice big storage bag and a summon effect that makes everything else much easier. More than Windmill and Refine, I would recommend doing this first - it's easiest before level 100.
    (And then you can use the summon effect to lower mob HP for Windmill training hehe)