Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Noob questions

LinisterLinister
Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
in Help
Hi all, been tooling around for a few hours now and beyond the tutorials, but have some questions, sorry if this is a help me thread, but haven't talked to anyone yet in the game so needing the info/help outside for now. 1. so you pick SKILLS, but TALENTS are automatically assigned depending on actions?

Comments

• LinisterLinister
    2. how do you check out other player's avatars?
    3. How do you cook the eggs?
  • LinisterLinister
    4.how do you sell items to the traders? will they buy noob junk?
    5.one only needs one gold bag, correct, so get rid of the other?

Dingigraphi
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    1. That talent title, like "Naive Warrior" that gets put on your head? Or the thing that gives you 2x Training for certain sets of skills? The first is changeable once per real day from the character window, hotkey 'C' by default. That doesn't affect anything besides what text is floating above your name so pick whichever you like once you've unlocked a few. The second is chosen every time you rebirth your character. The second is most important, as it affects the stats you gain from leveling up and also makes training that talent's skills faster.
    2. Check out other player's avatars? Like what they're wearing? You have to be physically near the character enough to right-click them. No way to do it remotely. The option to View Equipment can be on that drop-down list, but only if that character has that option checked. (You can check or uncheck it via Options->Game->Etc. "Allow Equipment View" if you want to hide your equipment from others or not)
    3. Eggs from chickens? There's a few recipes involving eggs. Check out the Mabinogi Wiki for info like this and more. Here's the page on Egg so you can see all the recipes that it's used in.
    4. Sell items to which traders? Talking about NPCs or real players? You can open up your own player shop once you have a Shop-type bag. There are some different-sized shop-type bags sold in the General Stores in various towns, like Malcolm in Tir Chonnail or Walter in Dunbarton. The descriptions for the bags will tell you whether or not it's a type of bag that lets you set up a personal shop. And as for who buys noob junk... I wouldn't count on that stuff selling... But "Beginner" items can be useful to hold on to yourself. A few of them have very very cheap repair costs, which can be helpful when starting out.
    5. You will very quickly outgrow having just one gold bag. Unless you like having to go back to the bank a lot to store away your gold, you're going to want more than one gold bag. Even if they're the 50,000 size ones. But never settle for anything smaller than the 50,000 size gold bags.
  • LinisterLinister
    Thanks, I have some quivers and bolts I scavenged somehow, but currently have no bow or archery, so I should liquidate, right? Can I sell to npc? I'm trying to scavenge as much gold as possible so I can gear better.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Linister wrote: »
    Thanks, I have some quivers and bolts I scavenged somehow, but currently have no bow or archery, so I should liquidate, right? Can I sell to npc? I'm trying to scavenge as much gold as possible so I can gear better.

Arrows and bolts won't sell for much (or anything) to NPC as they're cheap anyways.
    And since they're available from NPCs, other players won't buy them.
    If you can't make use of them, it's best to just drop them so they don't clutter your inventory.

If you want gold early on, there's a few ways to do that.
    Selling Holy Water to other players in your personal shop is a reliable way to get some spending money.
    You can usually peek around other shops players have set up to find the current price of it on your Server. (the 10k per stack example in the thread is really low by today's prices)
    http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/319/faq-how-to-make-money-as-a-new-player/p1
    You can get more Holy Water per Part-Time-Job if you choose a "Life" talent (except Cleric) when you rebirth.

Otherwise, doing the Advent of the Goddess storyline quests can give some gold, and equipment, to start out with.
    As well as bonus AP from the quests it has you do.

Once you get strong enough, combat-wise, doing Shadow Missions from the Shadow Altars you can find in Taillteann and Tara can provide good exp and gold.
  • LinisterLinister
    ok, but what about traditional style noob hunting grounds where a guy can make some decent coin and not get in over his head? also haven't seen much in the way of reading up on pvp, as in how its sanctioned.
  • LinisterLinister
    also not getting my stamina bar where I can see the stamina get used but the number always reads 58/58...
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    Your hunger level influences the effective maximum on the stamina bar. Eat some food and it will fill in the rest of the bar.

The absolute noob training areas are Alby and Ciar dungeons using the Beginner pass. I believe Trefor and Ranald give those out. You must use the beginner pass specifically or you will get the "normal" dungeon difficulty, which may require some training first (most players won't want to join a party for dungeons that low, so you'll likely need to do them solo). You may also want to start the Advent of the Goddess storyline as the dungeons in that storyline and the ones that follow are much easier than the normal difficulty as well. I recommend finding two other similarly leveled players to accompany you for maximum enjoyment, but it isn't strictly necessary until the end of the questline.

I second that the church part time job for Holy Water of Lymilark is a fast way to make a lot of money as a new player as the tasks are simple gathering jobs in town and many midgame players find the work too tedious to do themselves.
  • LinisterLinister
    edited September 10, 2017
    Ok too much junk in inventory, small gems, gems, can I sell them somewhere? am not sure how to sell items. how about those formor scrolls? where can I get rid of those? Also the Altar of Restoration, do I have to lug that around? And books?
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    You can sell items to NPCs by opening the NPC's shop window, picking up the items out of your inventory and putting them into the NPC's shop. Some trash won't be worth gold but some will be worth a small amount. Some NPCs sell quest scrolls to turn in Fomor Scrolls for rewards but all such quests are available at Poulnabrone near Dunbarton as well. It is better to collect 10 Fomor Scrolls of a type before taking the quests rather than be stuck with the quest while you work to gather them. Using the Altar of Restoration will spend it from your inventory - you probably won't need to repair from a remote location until near the end of the Advent of the Goddess storyline. Books are usually dropped after they are read since they will basically just clutter inventory space. I have a small library in my bank for books I care about rereading as well as an Aeira's Bookbag, but most people don't play that way.
  • LinisterLinister
    ok so bank account offers a bit of storage? I don't think I completed opening an account there, wasn't sure if that was free of charge
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Ok too much junk in inventory, small gems, gems, can I sell them somewhere? am not sure how to sell items. how about those formor scrolls? where can I get rid of those? Also the Altar of Restoration, do I have to lug that around? And books?

Small Gems and the Green/Blue/Red/Silver Gems are generally not important, and can be safely dropped.
    Green Gem is needed at some point during the Advent of the Goddess storyline, but you have one provided to you so you don't need to gather and save one ahead of time.

Fomor scrolls are only useful if you can get 10 of a single kind.
    Fomor Scroll Quests are "sold" by some NPCs, or can be taken from the Fomor Scroll Quest Board near the giant rock Poulnabrone you can find near the outskirts of Dunbarton. It's marked on the minimap, too.
    The quests ask for 10 of a single type of Fomor Scroll and reward gold.
    For example, the Mimic Fomor Scroll quest asks for 10 Mimic Fomor Scrolls and rewards 12,000 gold.
    Not every enemy in the game has fomor scrolls related to it, though.
    It's mostly dungeon/field mobs like Foxes, Spiders, Goblins, Mimics, etc.

Altar of Restoration is sold by NPCs for 10,000 gold.
    You use it to place down on the ground, and it causes the altar to appear there for 2 minutes before disappearing.
    They're single-use, so once you place it down, it disappears from your inventory.
    The altar, once placed, can be interacted with to repair your items for gold.
    It's basically like a portable Repair NPC that repairs (nearly) every type of item in one.

Books are a special case.
    Some books are just normal books. You can toss these if you've read them. Books usually can't be sold back to NPCs.
    Some books have a special magic seal on them. This indicates that the book is special in some way.
    For example, the book "A Campfire Memory" is used to train Rank F Campfire to Rank E.
    Once that book is used, the magic seal disappears and the book is useless for raising the Campfire skill, so you can toss it.
    If you were to get another copy and read the book when you wouldn't be able to benefit from it (like if you were rank E already, or if you were rank F but had already read it), then the magic seal would remain on the book.

Books like that are usually called Skill Books.
    If you get one and use one up, you can toss it. No one will buy a used skill book.
    If you get one that you can't use until later, you should save it for when you can use it.
    If you get one that you no longer need, you could toss it or try to sell it. But just know that many skill books aren't tradeable, and some are bought from NPCs.

Inventory space can be an annoying issue when you're just starting out.
    Don't forget to use all of your account's character cards to create characters.
    Even if you don't intend to play them, they each get their own Bankspace, to help store items you don't need right away.

Also, if you have a Human character, you should take them to talk to the leaders of the Elves, Castanea in Fillia, and the leader of the Giants, Krug in Vales.
    You should be able to find those towns in your Moonlight Traveler's Book.
    If you talk to them, you'll get the "Elf and Giant" keyword.
    This is used to ally your account with either Elves or Giants.
    The first time you do this, the leader will give you a free character card of their race.
    If you do this for one race, you'll have to wait til the next day to do it for the other.
    But hey! Free characters for more storage space!
  • LinisterLinister
    wow thanks for the tips, right now I'm having a weird thing where Andras NPC of Tailltean is blinking in green, in world map there is a large green stick man pinned to it and instead of saying quest, the other map blinks green saying "here" about Andras. I saw her , she says nothing different to me. She was in a quest I finished (cant remember the name of it), but I don't know what unfinished business I have with her. no current quest mentions Andras. This is very odd, are there GM's to help me with this??
  • LinisterLinister
    Holy **** game locked up and upon restart it said update, but update is a whole 7gb again??? Is this common with Mabinogi??
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    wow thanks for the tips, right now I'm having a weird thing where Andras NPC of Tailltean is blinking in green, in world map there is a large green stick man pinned to it and instead of saying quest, the other map blinks green saying "here" about Andras. I saw her , she says nothing different to me. She was in a quest I finished (cant remember the name of it), but I don't know what unfinished business I have with her. no current quest mentions Andras. This is very odd, are there GM's to help me with this??

Sounds like you have NPC Search on and targeting Andras.

It's on the minimap window, the person icon next to the magnifying glass.
  • LinisterLinister
    ok now I'm having a noob music question. Playing a lute, because I cant afford anything else, and have picked up lullaby, battlefield overture, compose, discord, song; but almost every time I play instrument, I get the you're playing the same song line, and no xp. how do I play other songs, the actual tune does change occasionally, but not according to the game.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    ok now I'm having a noob music question. Playing a lute, because I cant afford anything else, and have picked up lullaby, battlefield overture, compose, discord, song; but almost every time I play instrument, I get the you're playing the same song line, and no xp. how do I play other songs, the actual tune does change occasionally, but not according to the game.

It means the song is "too easy" for you.
    Default songs come in many "difficulties" but it's hard to tell which one's which.
    You can make songs of your own, using the Composing skill, and their difficulty is based on your "Musical Knowledge" skill rank.

You can learn Musical Knowledge by buying the book from Aeira in Dunbarton for 80,000 gold or by talking to her about skills after gifting her enough presents. (like Cubic Puzzles)
    I suggest the "gifting her cubic puzzles" route because it's cheaper than the 80,000 gold route.

Once you learn Musical Knowledge, every song you Compose will have that rank as its difficulty.
    For a song to not be too easy, it can only be up to 1 rank below your current Playing Instrument rank. (i.e. rank C Musical Knowledge with rank B Playing Instrument)
    For a chance to "get a very good result" the scroll needs to be 2 or more ranks above your Playing Instrument rank. (i.e. rank 9 Musical Knowledge with rank B Playing Instrument)

Though if all you care about is ranking Playing Instrument, you can get enough training exp to rank up by using the "Equip an instrument and attack an enemy" and "Use a music buff skill".
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    When I was a newbie I used to do the small gem collection quests for fun. It only awards 1200g in the end so it's not worth it.

Open the Menu and look for the Bard Bulletin Board if you want more songs to play. Those are all player-submitted and you'll need to rank up Composing to transcribe most of them. There is a quest that will give you some of the lower rank composing books for free.
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,830
    I like to do Taillteann shadow missions for exp, training, and gold. You can't really get good stuff or lots of gold killing monsters in the open world, so for a 'training field' like you said,your best bet is dungeons or shadow missions. I like shadow missions because you can easily control the difficulty, and you different ones have different stuff you have to do so it's not as boring as a lot of dungeons. I would test different ones in Taillteann to see which one you like and what level of difficulty you are comfortable with at the moment. I use the moon gate to "Druid's house moon gate" and go west to the notice board. You can choose a mission and a difficulty, then click on the center stone in the nearby stonehenge. Remember to always use holy water on your weapons and armor!

You can also read about what monsters appear in which mission and what the rewards are on "mabinogi world wiki". For me, any time I have a question about anything, I go there. Mabi is a big game with lots of stuff, so I pretty much play with the wiki open even now lol. Honestly, I've been playing since 2013 and still learn new things about it every time I play. The wiki is your friend! (sometimes new items don't have any or much info on the wiki, it's made by players so that's understandable)
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,830
    Oh and the bank account is free to create, it just is a small fee to deposit items and gold, but it's free to take them back out. Some items don't cost any or much gold to deposit