Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Any fix for Elf Ranged Lag yet?

Comments

• Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    "Elf Ranged Lag" is a mythical scapegoat popular among many who are unable to admit their computer is in need of service (preferably by someone who knows what they are doing). ~ What steps (aside from looking for more scapegoats) have you taken to combat this lag? :)

~ http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Lag

It ain't a myth. It's a bug, one that's been there since elves were first implemented. Before they revamped the combat system it was easy to work around it. But now with the cooldown times and whatnot this "lag" is more noticeable and an even bigger hindrance. There's no need to attack this thread like this.
  • SugarAngelSugarAngel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    edited September 12, 2017
    Sphyra21 wrote: »
    "Elf Ranged Lag" is a mythical scapegoat popular among many who are unable to admit their computer is in need of service (preferably by someone who knows what they are doing). ~ What steps (aside from looking for more scapegoats) have you taken to combat this lag? :)

It ain't a myth. It's a bug, one that's been there since elves were first implemented. Before they revamped the combat system it was easy to work around it. But now with the cooldown times and whatnot this "lag" is more noticeable and an even bigger hindrance. There's no need to attack this thread like this.

I won't deny that Elf Lag isn't a myth, but there is just simply displacement lag, which comes from the ability of elves being able to move while aiming their bow - It happens and can freeze your character, it's the same with charging or moving during intermediate magic kill animations(where your character turns to kill them) - Most notably with thunder.(So in reality, it's just everyone's lag! Not just elf.) This just happens to happen more towards elves, whom are normally rangers.
    (Also call me crazy, but I swear Human Archers have rarities that they can freeze.)

Also what cooldowns do you? Non-existent elf ranged cooldowns or the prolonged elf melee cooldowns for them?

Just in case you need education on what a myth is by the way;
    "a widely held but false belief or idea.

a misrepresentation of the truth.
    a fictitious or imaginary person or thing.
    an exaggerated or idealized conception of a person or thing."
    [Deleted User]
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    edited September 12, 2017
    Elf range r1 - 0.1 sec
    Elf Magnum r1- 0.5 sec
    Elf Crash Shot r1- 5.5 sec (whether it hits or not!)
    Elf Support Shot r1 - 1 sec
    Mirage Missile r1 - 1.5 sec

Ok so 0.1 and 0.5 seconds doesn't seem like much yeah? It makes all the difference when the internet services here are nowhere near as fast as Korea's or Japan's. Load times? Those were easier to deal with. Now it's like we have a load time AND cool downs. Even if we don't technically have load times anymore, it's still there and it gets worse the further away you are from the servers. I'm an East Coaster here so I can only imagine what it's like for European players. And yes, I do realize that this encompasses ALL races and skills, but when you main as an elf one of the things you most look forward to is the archery no? Plus, this lag is more noticeable with elf range because it is more of a speed type skill set (and even more noticeable for those of us who have been playing elf since their implementation and even for those who attempted/did archery on humans).

.....Good grief. Anyhoo back on topic for those of you for whom this thread is relevant: We know that the problems are there so we find ways around or to fix 'em. Like I said before: denaggling (not sure I spelled that right) and setting CPU affinities helps immensely. Best of luck to you! ♥
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Ok, then i'm in Fighter Bug squad then. Fighter is useless, weak and glitchy talent... Needs more attention than "elf lag" since Fighter glitch works on all races.
    Leilicia
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Well, I guess. I heard you'll get locked in place similar to Giant's Wind Guard in Fighter too.
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170

I guess Hardmuscle is too lazy or knows they can't refute sphyra21s evidence lol.

anyway yeah this load time bug is very noticeable with archery since you are usually its practical to use most skills fast over and over again.
  • TrythisTrythis
    edited September 18, 2017
    @Trythis
    Trythis wrote: »

I guess Hardmuscle is too lazy or knows they can't refute sphyra21s evidence lol.

anyway yeah this load time bug is very noticeable with archery since you are usually its practical to use most skills fast over and over again.
    Where was I mentioned for questioning in sphyra21's so-called evidence, troll? Written text is evidence? Since when? I too have an elf or three.
    @Sphyra21 ~ A single reply in a thread is hardly an attack, and you don't get to choose who can post. This is a public forum, not a private one.

Yeah you weren't but that wasn't the point and anecdotes ( you playing as an elf) aren't evidence either if you're using that logic, but anyway thats not what I meant but I got my answer now I guess you didn't care were too lazy go back to this thread from what I saw in your reply lol.

Anyway im not sure if you aren't wrong but you know claiming that elf ranged bug or any displacement issue is "myth" you'd think you'd try combat those "myths"
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited September 18, 2017
    Five parts displacement, One part actual bug. Both are true
    The relevant data is on various modding//memory probing sites, it is a confirmable issue.
    but you gotta look for them yourself :P

The terms and conditions be watching :*
  • TrythisTrythis
    @Trythis

Where was I mentioned for questioning in sphyra21's so-called evidence, troll? Written text is evidence? Since when? I too have an elf or three.
    @Sphyra21 ~ A single reply in a thread is hardly an attack, and you don't get to choose who can post. This is a public forum, not a private one.

Yeah you weren't but that wasn't the point and anecdotes ( you playing as an elf) aren't evidence either if you're using that logic, but anyway thats not what I meant but I got my answer now I guess you didn't care were to lazy go back to this forum from what I saw in your reply lol.

Anyway im not sure if you aren't wrong but you know claiming that elf ranged bug or any displacement issue is "myth" you'd think try combat those "myths"
    First of all; not everyone uses (or is using) the same operating system. They also (more than likely) don't have identical hardware. I can balance the facts and what I know to be true on my own hardware and connection. If I don't have these problems, then you can't factually say 'everyone has these problems'.. -- it's that bloody simple.

There we go, now that's how you respond, Cheers
  • VilanoVilano
    Mabinogi Rep: 755
    Aim speed for archery is dependent on Servers to be in "sync" with the players client, so if the potato servers are lagging, you could miss at 100% aim xd.
    so if Nexon NA doesn't want to upgrade servers, at least they should change the base aim speed numbers to compensate?
  • EnrheidaEnrheida
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    edited September 19, 2017
    With the discussion of wether or not "elf lag" is a myth, I figured I'd provide you guys with proof that it is real.
    -removed-
    Sphyra21SiodhanVeylaine
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Enrheida wrote: »
    With the discussion of wether or not "elf lag" is a myth, I figured I'd provide you guys with proof that it is real.

Even though that has its merit, the link will be removed because Nexon doesn't like that site or the sort of content in that thread being linked here.
    TL;DR of that thread: Elf Lag is real, has a cause, and needs to be taken care of. Just not in that way.
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    @Enrheida
    If that's true, then maybe there's hope yet. Someone said it was because of how elves could move while aiming, which makes me want to theorize that once they fix positioning lag as I believe they're currently trying to..this problem could be fixed as a side effect. If elf lag is about movement, then those false signals are probably because one's client hasn't caught up with the server properly and is trying to get the information? It'd be cool if it would be fixed as a side effect ,since I have my doubts they'd ever bother otherwise.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Whenever I get this issue, it's only me who's stuck there with a greyed out skill icon on my head.
    I can still see monsters and party members acting and moving about just fine, so it's not like I'm disconnecting due to lag or anything.
    I just can't input any commands until... whatever's the issue resolves itself. Which is either until my character finally feels like loading whatever's floating above his head, or until I die.

I can sort of replicate the symptoms of the issue in a weird, non-archery way.

If I spam emotes like (laugh) or (angry) etc with their hotkeys (default Alt + 1~0), like really go to town on them, then try to load a skill while I'm still not caught up with the emotes, the skill loading won't happen until all the queued emotes happen. (or, if you want it to be easier to see the spam, use Crisis Escape, spam emotes, then try to detrans)
    You end up stuck standing there with the greyed out skill loading icon above your head until you get through the emotes and actually load the skill.
    Could this be the same thing happening? What kind of fix would help the client get through queued commands faster?
    Buffalos
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    edited September 19, 2017
    This doesn't prove anything other than the user who logged their packet distribution has a crappy computer / connection. Gee, they lost packets, I wonder why. I don't expect people with the same or equal garbage to admit to this, so it's not worth debating. A couple of angry suits at your local nation hack board doesn't speak louder than the thousands of us who don't have this problem.
    Meanwhile, a large majority of the elf population who has ever touched a bow has described this same thing happening to them.
    Could it be lag on the user's end? Absolutely. But when you start looking at how many people who have this AND have little to no other lag related issues, elf lag starts to look a lot like something that isn't connection based. Just to further rule out a connection based issue, that linked thread had a way to fix the delay entirely that didn't involve connection adjustments. Isn't that strange?
    Next you'll be telling me how a non-scaling font uses less memory (despite requiring thousands of individual copies to compensate) than a scaling font (requiring only a single copy) does.

From what I have seen, (outside of the <ttfenglish> size command in PM chats) there are only a few font sizes used that look substantially different from each other. It wouldn't be memory storage efficient to have a copy of each font set in the different sizes, but it certainly wouldn't require whatever resizing they do behind the scenes when rendering a few thousand characters on the screen at once.
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    so I just found out there is a "fix" for this, but it violates the TOS because it's a mod.
    My brother was telling me how the mod worked and such too. Basically, it replaces the elf range attack animation with the human one. The visual difference being no "tails" on the arrows when they're shot. So it seems the bug is in the animation. But nope can't do this cuz it's a mod. TT.TT

Kind of reminds me when Lyres first came out. Who came up with a fix first? A mabi player, not NX......
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    If you think about what you said, you can fix this without modifying anything, but don't think about how or what drives or stops animations from working properly or for lack of a better word, stuttering. You came to "Prove Elf Range Lag is not a Myth", because I dared proclaim that it is; and low and behold, the best evidence to support said claim proves it has nothing to do with lag (go figure). You can start with anything you're running (on the side) that saps available memory while you're playing the game; there are at least a dozen possible culprits in the default windows service list alone.

This has been an issue since the game introduced elves from what I can find. That was in 2009. We're in 2017 right now, which means there have been 8 years of hardware improvements made in computers. Telling someone they need to upgrade their computer or system options to fix a 2009 issue is not going to solve anything. So unless there's some magical hardware solution I don't know of that you do, I don't think your almost enigmatic posts are going to be helping much of anyone here.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    How is defending myself mysterious ("enigmatic")? I said, Elf Ranged Lag is a Myth; and since then, people have went out of their way to prove me wrong. So far out of their way, They not only didn't prove me wrong; they remarkably and incredibly ignorantly proved me right.

The thread proved what you opened with was false and you flipped your view on elf lag faster than a pancake. That's definitely not like you and it has me soo incredibly confused I don't even know how to respond.
    As for hardware improvements. No improvement will make people remember to turn off unnecessary services on their systems, not will any advancement increase the intellect of the average computer user. They will always blame something not involved, before seeking out the real cause of the problem. This thread is a shining monument of this and it will forever (unless it magically disappears) remain so.

If the straw that breaks the camel's back that is the Mabinogi client is a background process, wouldn't you think it'd break more than just an elf's movement while walking about? I'm not buying that at all.

I'm just gonna walk away from this because this has derailed from the impossible topic of "How can I fix my elf lag?" to "How can we convince each other to believe the same truth?"

• SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

Considering the fact that in the livestream (in KR) showcasing the new talent had something tacked on about "placement logic", which is essentially whats being argued here, I highly doubt this is a myth.

KR has literally addressed this, I'm lost trying to find out why you'd argue otherwise by saying it doesn't exist.

//thread.

Go home everyone.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    @Sebastian
    Sebastian wrote: »

Considering the fact that in the livestream (in KR) showcasing the new talent had something tacked on about "placement logic", which is essentially whats being argued here, I highly doubt this is a myth.

KR has literally addressed this, I'm lost trying to find out why you'd argue otherwise by saying it doesn't exist.

//thread.

Go home everyone.
    This thread was proven a myth upon the convenient placement and removal of a fail nation link. You're trying too hard sir. :unamused:

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/comment/61798/#Comment_61798

Proven a myth?

It's been addressed by KR, honey. I don't know why you're dodging this.