Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Using rank 5 enchants despite not rank 5 enchanter

YellowBinYellowBin
Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
in General Chat
When I was a just starting out I got a rank 5 enchant (count) and used it on my vales shield and it succeeded.
I was a rank f enchanter or lower and no there was no one else there with me when I enchanted it.
After awhile I learned that you couldn't use rank 5 enchants unless you or someone else had enchanting to rank 5.
But, recently one of my friends (rank f enchanter) used a rank 5 enchant(monster) alone and destroyed their armor not knowing that it would.

Is it really possible, or are these events just hiccups?
Maybe there was something that I missed.

Comments

• SyrentusSyrentus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,140
    Some enchants are listed as, "Enchant Enabled Regardless of Rank" Meaning you can enchant it no matter what.
  • ChibisaiChibisai
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,470
    edited September 14, 2017
    You don't need a high Enchant rank to enchant something (though it's preferred to have a r1 Enchant to prevent durability loss on enchant scrolls)

Any enchant that's above rank 6 will destroy the item unless you use an enchant protection potion on the item you're enchanting on

Count and Monster Enchants both can go on despite their ranks because of the enchant enable regardless of rank (meaning you don't have to bridge it from rank A to 9 to 8 to 7 and so on)

Hope that helps.
  • DarkConductorDarkConductor
    Mabinogi Rep: 975
    You don't have to be a specific ranked enchanter to use a specific ranked enchant scroll.
    For future reference, Rank 1 Enchanters have the highest item burning rate and we can only lose 5% of durability for each attempt of enchanting failure.

Enchant items F ~ A may result in durability loss, items 9 ~ 7 will result in durability loss, and any items that are 5 are higher will destroy the item UPON FAILURE.
  • KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    Hmm I think that if you try to enchant without using powder, it bypasses the rank 5 requirement but it's a really really bad idea because the success rate will be extremely low and you lose the enchant scroll regardless of success or failure.

It's been a while since I've done this so I don't remember if it gives you the warning that your stuff could blow up. It really should.
    YellowBincourtneyy
  • YellowBinYellowBin
    Kokoro wrote: »
    Hmm I think that if you try to enchant without using powder, it bypasses the rank 5 requirement but it's a really really bad idea because the success rate will be extremely low and you lose the enchant scroll regardless of success or failure.

It's been a while since I've done this so I don't remember if it gives you the warning that your stuff could blow up. It really should.

Ah, I see this might be it. Because I know I got another "count" enchant and I couldn't use it and was giving me the "you need to be r5 enchanter" thing.
  • DarkConductorDarkConductor
    Mabinogi Rep: 975

No matter what scroll it is, you should, as heavy advice, never try to use it without powder unless you're just messing around with it and don't care about the consequences. They will always prompt you with a warning should you try to use the scroll without powder.

One more thing; you have to have rank 5 enchant in order to use rank 5 enchant scrolls.
    KokoroYellowBin
  • KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    One more thing; you have to have rank 5 enchant in order to use rank 5 enchant scrolls.

I must have been mistaken of the rank of the enchant then. I definitely remember blowing something up with a failed enchant because back then I didn't know what magic powders were. I definitely didn't have rank 5 Enchant but it let me try (and fail) anyway. I guess it must have been a rank 6?
  • YellowBinYellowBin

I must have been mistaken rank of the enchant then. I definitely remember blowing something up with a failed enchant because back then I didn't know what magic powders were. I definitely didn't have rank 5 Enchant but it let me try (and fail) anyway. I guess it must have been a rank 6?

Even if your enchant was a rank 6, my friend and I used rank 5 enchants without having rank 5 enchant skills. I'm a rank 1 enchanter as well and know the criteria and all that from the wiki and such. I knew already that there was a criteria that you had to be a rank 5 enchanter to use rank 5 enchants and above, so the events that happened to my friend and I really baffles me and intrigues me a lot.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Powderless Enchant (right-click Enchant Scroll and "Use") bypasses the rank requirements for r5+ enchants. This is how players are allowed to "Enchant" the pages of the Book of Fireball without needing an enchanter.
    For those who don't know, pages 6-10 are considered to be rank 5-1 "Enchant Scrolls" with 100% success rates.

Since this mechanic also works for normal Enchant Scrolls, it can also be used to YOLO a scroll if you can't get an r1 Enchanter on the scene in time. (May or may not have done this a few times before I got r1 Enchant kek)
    PanKokoroYellowBin
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    The only thing Enchant rank does is lowers damage done to the item and scroll during a failure which doesn't matter with a r6+ scroll
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Sorry to hear your friend blew up their armor. You know it does warn you before using that rank enchant that if it fails the item will evaporate.
  • FalmostaFalmosta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    edited September 15, 2017
    Chibisai wrote: »
    You don't need a high Enchant rank to enchant something (though it's preferred to have a r1 Enchant to prevent durability loss on enchant scrolls)

Any enchant that's above rank 6 will destroy the item unless you use an enchant protection potion on the item you're enchanting on

Count and Monster Enchants both can go on despite their ranks because of the enchant enable regardless of rank (meaning you don't have to bridge it from rank A to 9 to 8 to 7 and so on)

Hope that helps.

Using an Enchant Scroll of Rank 5 or higher requires an Enchant Skill Rank of 5 or higher. That is unless you are just using it with out the skill... An Enchant Scroll will vanish upon success, with its effects transferred to the item. Upon failure, the scroll will lose Durability. An Enchant Scroll used without Magic Powder will vanish even if enchantment fails. Which the later might still be possible if you click use on the scroll perhaps. I've never tried to test this though.