Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name Changes

Comments

• SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    I would like to be able to change my characters names, my pets names, and my forum name XD I wouldnt mind paying NX or in game gold to allow me to do this even if its only one time per account. Maybe name change coupons could be part of an event to allow everyone to work towards earning one if they want it as well?
    Sindryth
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited September 8, 2017
    I say no, only because of how abusable it can be, and how there will be people who try to impersonate others.
    NoireCat
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    I would think using the name change to do devious things like scam or impersonate people would be a bannable offense if reported to admins. I would suggest having a secret tab only available to admins to view previous names of people so if they cause problems under new name they can be banned for repeated offenses maybe?

One thing that could be a problem is if scammers change their name after being reported to avoid being banned. To avoid this maybe have a time frame people have to wait before they can do name change again say 30 days?
  • Naomii66Naomii66
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,770
    support. I have the most basic and uncreative username ever, it even has numbers in it T_T
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    I would think using the name change to do devious things like scam or impersonate people would be a bannable offense if reported to admins. I would suggest having a secret tab only available to admins to view previous names of people so if they cause problems under new name they can be banned for repeated offenses maybe?

One thing that could be a problem is if scammers change their name after being reported to avoid being banned. To avoid this maybe have a time frame people have to wait before they can do name change again say 30 days?

It SHOULD be a bannable offense. The problem is, is that it can still happen. Even if they do get "banned" (those with the resolve to will find ways back), the damage has already been done.
  • MyutoMyuto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,335
    KR Mabinogi had name changing cards since like 2010 :l Isn't it about time we had this feature too?
  • MyutoMyuto
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Myuto ~ There where some issues with that release. Fraud related.
    Thing is, Korea has offered name changes since 2010, and is still offering them today. It's unfair to the rest of us who genuinely just want to change or modify their names.
    Regarding the release of inactive player names. That seems like a scapegoat for a lack of imagination. There are plenty of original (not already used by someone else) names to be had. There's no real need to take from other people to give to someone else. None other than greed.
    And there's no real reason to assume people don't have imagination and are greedy simply because they want to change/modify their not-so imaginative name to one that better suits them. So, someone that named themselves Rubii209 in middle school back in 2009 might just want to be named Ruby or even Rubi since that's what everyone calls them.
  • MyutoMyuto
    I understand legitimately wanting to change your name (for legitimate reasons). I didn't fall off the wagon 5 minutes ago. Nothing aside from lack of imagination or greed (or coveting) explains the desire for someone else's already used name (no matter the length of time inactive).

I understand you're trying to play devil's advocate here, but you're preaching to the wrong choir. You're starting to derail this subject to ethics and morals of name changing by calling out names. If your ideas are so superior, and you feel like you know everything about people, then by all means make your own thread. :*
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited September 23, 2017
    To this day my marriage title is still glitched due to my wife having a name change in 2015.

The GMs were also unable to fix it.

13fad714e3.jpg

And we can't divorce, so I can't marry Neyna

#pimp

:trollface:
    Neyna[Deleted User]
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    lucifern wrote: »
    would be nice if they added such a feature, but it might be hard for friends to recognize you again and changes need to be applied in the friend list too. There might also be a name change times limit or some wait time before you can change again.
    Some ppls names may change even more then their status once its out

I played a game where you could buy a "name change coupon" whenever you liked and change your nick. The only "downside" I saw is that you needed to write them to know their old name, nothing more.

Leinei wrote: »
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    I think this would be a helpful feature especially since people may not like the name the picked when they first joined or want to make something a little more unique. That being said I would recommend this be available once per character to make things less confusing for everyone. Maybe have something in the character menu that says "formally known as" and their previous name so friends know who people are that change their name.

Yeah I support this too. I like the idea of a sort of button in the additional character information menu and as an option you can look into when you right-click a player. That way you'd be able to look into their previous name without having to add them.

This idea is really a good one as would destroy what people are saying would happen: players impersonating someone else to scam/no-idea-what-they-could-do-with-someone's-else-nick/etc. It could be best to have it even in the little window it appears when you right-click a player, something like "Previous Names" or something along the lines, to help avoid name frauds and all
  • SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    edited October 2, 2017
    It would be great, but i would go for this ONE TIME CHANCE and then you can never again change your character name, also to avoid some kind of bot/ new account abuse i would say ONLY FOR 1 year+ accounts? maybe more
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
    I think name changes would be good to add. People unsatisfied with their names like Naruto123456100000 or something along those lines could finally change their names to one less stupid orrr one they are less humiliated about. I myself am satisfied with my name, but that's because my character is not really old. People who made their names when they were kids/didn't really think about it probably regret it. I think I would've stuck with my very first character if its' name wasn't so stupid...

Maplestory had name change and sever change for 20 or 30 or 50 dollars, something like that. Although I don't really know how they work out the issues with old names since I never tried.
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,140
    Kaga wrote: »
    To this day my marriage title is still glitched due to my wife having a name change in 2015.

The GMs were also unable to fix it.

13fad714e3.jpg

And we can't divorce, so I can't marry Neyna

#pimp

:trollface:

More like Sharte can’t divorce even though she isn’t married ‘-‘

Hopefully name change does come to this game but before that, I hope they fix the issues my fam and I are having.
    The GM that gave me the name change IS aware of the bugs/issues with the family titles & tree as well as that there are now two Neyna in the guild list.

The solution was to divorce to fix the title issue, but we can’t even divorce in the first place. So they can’t do anything about it :<
    Kaga
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    edited October 7, 2017
    confusing isnt it?, the most basic part of MMORPG does not exist in the game
    NAME CHANGING! HOW HARD IT CAN BE?
  • AmesenpaiAmesenpai
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,695
    i wouldn't think this is a good idea for me because what if you know too many people it be hard for then to recognize you if you had a name change. spending hours and years to tell people its you some might think its not you or you were banned... anything can happen rather not spend on name change but i think over all some people will pay for it and good idea for other people who really want a name change.
  • QwenaltQwenalt
    Mabinogi Rep: 670
    Would quite like this. My IGN is Qwenalt and so many people assume 'alt' means 'alt character of Qwen'. Not fun.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Eh, it might help a lot, but I'm fine here. I have the IGN I want.
    If anything, pets and players should have their own separate name database.
    THAT is what needs to be changed IMO
    Arcee
  • pengydesipengydesi
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    edited November 27, 2017
    I have seen a good number of forums on this in the past but I have never seen how to make it happen!

HOW can the mabinogi world get the opportunity to change their in game name?! I have had this account/character for I DON'T EVEN KNOW. When I started it, the idea had revolved around a very evil guy in a book and now I just don't like the name. I request changing it. I will buy, I will plead, I will beg, I will farm mats if that is what it takes!

But how do we get the ability to add in game name changing to our world?

Much Love
    - Someone Who Wants To Be Reborn! :D
    Sherri
  • lovebugkidlovebugkid
    Mabinogi Rep: 530
    i would totally get it if they bring it out ahh i really hope they do >.<
  • SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    Mabinogi Korea has this service: http://mabinogi.nexon.com/ItemShop/product_detail.asp?product_no=449896

Translation (Kinda):

Changing a character name is a service that changes the name of a character that you have in your Mabinogi ID.
    You can also change the name of the romantic farm when you change the character name.
    ■ Caution when applying for character name change:

- You can only change the characters of the cumulative level 30 or more of the official server.
    - You can not apply for a change of name if you keep items in the item shop library.
    - Once you have received all of your items in your library, please request a name change.
    - You cannot use the Mabinogi Item Shop during the name change application.

(※ You can use the item shop normally if you change the representative character to another character that does not apply to the server transfer / name change .)

- Changing the character name Even if you change the name of the romantic farm (Homestead) during the application, .
    - You have changed the character name, but some parts of the game do not apply (found character name, seal breaker, donation rank, etc.).
    - Please refer to the character change policy guide for character name change conditions and cancellation reasons.
    - When changing the character name, the effect of the item can disappear , and if the item is released again, it becomes exclusive and it is
    difficult to help.

If the character is in the following state, the character name change is canceled.
    Guild subscribed / waiting status, married status, family enrollment status, character deletion wait / sanction status, ownership / bidding status, holding items in the housing

- You can apply from the [Personal Menu> Change Character Name] menu after login to the official website.