Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Broken percentages

BethuarBethuar
Mabinogi Rep: 1,000
in Feedback and Suggestions
Ever since I played mabi I had to avoid anything involving chance in this game. It could be at 99% and you still fail 25% of the time which makes no sense at all. it actually discourages players to try at all to make themselves stronger when they have to rely on a horrible thought out chance system. 90% is actually 60% and it gets even worse from there.
I think this needs to be fixed as it's ridiculous. I think they chances of everything should be higher so it's more fair for every player of mabi, not just the people who play mabi all day every day.
SherriJazmynIyasenuNerdylicious

Comments

• YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    At least make some of the basic stuff at Rank 9 be 100%.

IE;

Refining rank 9 should be 100% for refining iron.
    Jazmyn
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    It's been so long since I started playing.

And I still wish "100%" was a thing we could just get.

A cap of 99% on most things is lame, if you think about it.
    YangKoeteSherri
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    End the failure at 99%. "Oh you're crafting thing with 99% success? Here, let's throw in that 1% chance of failure!"
    I don't think real life is like that. How /unlucky/ do you have to be, to get that 1% if this was real life xD
    Sherribeesyruphead
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Leilicia wrote: »
    End the failure at 99%. "Oh you're crafting thing with 99% success? Here, let's throw in that 1% chance of failure!"
    I don't think real life is like that. How /unlucky/ do you have to be, to get that 1% if this was real life xD

Maybe it's trying to say that even though people do something every day, they can still mess up?
    Still is stupid. I wanna get away from messing up so I play video games.
    Too bad I mess up in them too...
    Nerdylicious
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I've failed multiple times at sky lanturns... So, I have to agree 99% is a bit of a joke. And then 50%, needing fails with like refining, and you succeed every time.... like, what? Mythril ore is soooo hard to refine, that you only get points for 3 successful refines, but lets NEVER fail.... -_-
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    I don't think you understand how probability actually works.

The chance of succeeding 40 times at 99% becomes increasingly harder as you succeed.
    It's like 66.8% to get all 40 without failing at a 99% success rate.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Pan wrote: »

The chance of succeeding 40 times at 99% becomes increasingly harder as you succeed.

Why I repair 1 dura at a time with NPCs lol
  • FerghusTheBlacksmithFerghusTheBlacksmith
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,195
    Some things I can see failing even at 99%. In real life there are some things that have a margin of error even though you've done it hundreds of times.

Cooking, for example. Even though I've prepared the same dish to eat over and over, I've also messed it up during preparation and had to throw it out because of some small mistake. (i.e: miscalculating measurements or forgetting something, hence the 1% error) So, that's where I can see the 1% coming into play.

But, sometimes it comes in to play way too often. Most people refer to that as bad luck and it's hard to tell if it truly is bad luck or if the percentages aren't really as they seem to be.
    SherriJazmyn
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Pan wrote: »

That makes sense, but isnt the most you can do in queue 10? So, regardless, its an extremely slim chance at failing...
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    i heard someone failed crafting langu armor before
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Hazurah wrote: »
    i heard someone failed crafting langu armor before

sometimes when I'm having a bad RNG day I remind myself of that bloke who paid a small fortune for a dragon heart and then failed the huntress at 99%
    Sherri
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Leilicia wrote: »

It is how real life works. Maintaining a 100% track record is possible, but failure is always a possibility.

We tend to notice our failures more than our litany of successes, of course. Still, I think for certain items, that it would be absolutely lovely for some items to cap at 100%.

(I.E. Anything in the millions)
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    GvnmSN7.png

We tend to notice our failures more than our litany of successes, of course. Still, I think for certain items, that it would be absolutely lovely for some items to cap at 100%.

Well, as someone that does a lot of life skills and craft 100 items at a time easily, I can assure you that failing 10 times means the 99% is false, as 10 failings in 100 attempts means 90%. If those were the only fails I do crafting 1000 items, then the percentage is ok, but that isn't the case.
    YangKoeteNerdylicious
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Yeah...I've always SOMEHOW achieved 5 fails when I have a 99% chance to craft Thin Thread Balls, when I was only crafting 40 of 'em. Just...I know the math is you calculating it 99% for each of them, but the probability for us getting all those failures is just a tad too unlucky.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    NekoLily wrote: »
    GvnmSN7.png

Well, as someone that does a lot of life skills and craft 100 items at a time easily, I can assure you that failing 10 times means the 99% is false, as 10 failings in 100 attempts means 90%. If those were the only fails I do crafting 1000 items, then the percentage is ok, but that isn't the case.

I was only arguing against the notion that never failing is "realistic". It isn't. Humans are humans, and they make mistakes. It is possible to not make a mistake, but it only goes for limited amount of trials. (I.E. A life career that inevitably ends in death.) whose length determines the eventual likelihood over the duration.

Though yes, my fragmentation and synthesis successes seem quite low for something at "99%". I failed several times transmuting metallic ore.