Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fixing RNG events

NinzerkerNinzerker
Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
in Feedback and Suggestions
I can't speak for anyone else, but my work schedule doesn't permit for me to stay logged in consistently for periods in excess of full weeks with multiple PC

I get an average of 3 hours a night

So when an event with RNG based prizes occurs its virtually impossible to earn said rewards in the limited time available

And I've always believed that if you put in the effort and time that you should be rewarded for it.

This past week I had a rare consecutive 3 days off, which translates to 66 hours doing this event, which is exactly 110 of these event gift boxes

What came from this massive stack however was all very literally useless junk
I have no interest in the tailoring skill, in which the vast majority of prizes were attributed to, and potions with an expiration date are the most as asanine thing I've ever heard as it completely disregards anything that you would normally seek and collect said potions for

But as for the actual themed event items there was exactly 1 "Sky Lantern Balloon"

That's a 1:110 ratio to getting junk
And I've seen others claim the very same

So I propose that an NPC shop should be able to trade in these RNG based objects in order to trade them in for the specific items wanted/needed, with a price mark equal to the chance of obtaining the item

If the item has a 1:100 or 1% drop, than 100 unopened items SHOULD suffice for direct trade!

And on second thought, this should also extend towards Gachapons as well, I've heard horror stories about how ridiculously low some item drop rates are, and how often you find piles of gacha prizes just tosses out due to being useless junk.

It's simply put a way to make everything fair for those who put the time and effort or even NX to earn what they want or need
Sherri[Deleted User]
  1. Would you like to see a non RNG method to obtain timed items?25 votes
    1. Of course!
       84% (21 votes)
    2. Its all crap anyway
       16% (4 votes)

Comments

• SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Whaaat, are you saying you DON'T want a whole carasek bag full of age and pet age potions from the current event? I can't understand why. Rebirthing as age 17 and having half an inventory of age 17+ potions seems reasonably rewarding.
    LeiliciaIyasenuHazurahLeinei[Deleted User]iMattxC
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    We already have something like this, it's the event shops. Alot of the events we get have an event shop that lets you turn in the coins you get for something you want from the event shop. There is nothing wrong with some RNG events once in a while. Also, should considering adding more options to your poll, Something along the lines of "Event shops we get are nice enough"
    [Deleted User]
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Then can you please relay the location to the event shop tied to Sky Lanterns Reward Boxes and NOT the NPCs who trade training seals for 10 lanterns?

Wait, there AREN'T any of those and that's the problem!
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Ninzerker wrote: »
    Then can you please relay the location to the event shop tied to Sky Lanterns Reward Boxes and NOT the NPCs who trade training seals for 10 lanterns?

Wait, there AREN'T any of those and that's the problem!

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with having some events using RNG to balance the events that have an event shop. Not all events have to include an event shop.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited October 27, 2017
    Or...OR...they can take out all the bloody junk! :D
    JazmynSherriSheenaShadowtivaniBehelit[Deleted User]HazurahNerdylicious
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Gaea wrote: »
    Or...OR...they can take out all the bloody junk! :D

THIS.^

Or at least make the potions tradable and nonexpiring between characters... and get rid of the other material junk... xD I dont have enough time, patience, and ap to train up 3000 skills in one week on one character that im forced to play on to get rewards because i have to choose only one character, even though I purchased a couple other characters before they started handing them out like candy. LOL.
    Sherri[Deleted User]
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Even just removing the crafting materials and replacing them with potions is better than getting the random stuff we can find/make in 10 minutes.
    JazmynHazurahSherri[Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I play a few games on my phone that if you do gacha, they give you coins which in turn if you have enough coins, you can buy exactly what you want. :/
    Best method ever IMO
    JazmynNinzerkerBehelitNerdylicious
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    "hurr durr there are also mats for tailor, it is not that bad"

yeah shut up!
    having sucked up event once in awhile is the same poor excuse of those who do their job poorly or unwillingly
    SherriNerdylicious
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Well, after finally resting up after being booted off from maintenance to find another broken event (Event Guide quest still not becoming active) after failing to get anything of meaning from the last one, took a quick peek at said event.

And lo and behold, more RNG, with what I'll bet even more abysmal odds
    (Permanent Event Wing Coupon being #1 item in event reward box, with everything else being absolute garbage)

Of course, they DO give the option to buy extender coupons as well, this time, so you can keep the event item you earn for an entire YEAR before it poofs out of existence!

River of sarcasm aside, its at least a LIIITTLE bit of progress towards less RNG heavy events, unless like many people myself included, this is your first set of wings and they are a good match for your usual color motif so you're gonna be forced to hunt down the permanency coupon anyway...

WHY?
    Jazmyn
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    I'm also completely sick of the SHADOW MISSION EVENTS.

Just...I HATE IT! We get the same. Darn. Missions. Each. TIME! JUST FOR CRAPPY REWARDS!

Do they LIKE doing this to us!? Do they think people don't care?

Seriously...I just want this to have an END!
    iMattxC
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    YangKoete wrote: »

Just...I HATE IT! We get the same. Darn. Missions. Each. TIME! JUST FOR CRAPPY REWARDS!

Personally, I think it's better than AFK events, though SM can get annoying if we gotta do it every day.
    More repetitive than anything.
    I really enjoy that mission point event that gives us the option to do what we want.
    Though it has its flaws as well..
    YangKoeteJazmyn
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Sherri wrote: »

Personally, I think it's better than AFK events, though SM can get annoying if we gotta do it every day.
    I really enjoy that mission point event that gives us the option to do what we want.

I REALLY like the story events. Cookie Island, Little Ghost, etc. Stuff like that? THAT IS FUN. I get it's hard to write a new story each time, but there's plenty they can bring back.
    SherriNinzerkeriMattxC
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Even just removing the crafting materials and replacing them with potions is better than getting the random stuff we can find/make in 10 minutes.

I would still only be able to use a couple of them. My combat consists of archery snd
    Sherri wrote: »

I loved the Mission Point event... I came back to playing during this last one... only thing i dont like is that you are limited to one character.... they need to make events based on an account.... like, i have 4 characters i like to play on, characters i paid for when you had to if you wanted more than one, but i cant play them all if i want to participate in events...
    SherriYangKoete
  • TaffytaTaffyta
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,000
    Yeah it's super disappointing getting a reward box that just has CHEAP FABRIC like I don't get enough of that from festia. Gacha style rewards for events make it frustrating. I think I got 8 decent rewards from the lantern event out of somewhere well over 100 boxes.. Event shops are the way to go, the pumpkin coin event is fair because you can choose to gamble on more boxes for a chance at that stuff or just buy your chairs/homestead props/whatever. So at least you can get something that isn't a bunch of fabric or expiring training pots.
    YangKoeteNinzerker
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    And an update, as I predicted
    Checking shops and asking around canonot find a single person who got that aforementioned Wing Permanence coupon
    So the entirety of Tarlach server is 46 says away.from a mass dropping of now somehow unwearable wings

In the bright side, they successfully removed the Twilight Crystals from all our inventories, just so that in the case they ever roll the event out again you couldn't just plop the first two weeks down immediately, oh wait... That WOULD have been good!
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    edited November 30, 2017
    Ninzerker wrote: »
    And an update, as I predicted
    Checking shops and asking around canonot find a single person who got that aforementioned Wing Permanence coupon
    So the entirety of Tarlach server is 46 says away.from a mass dropping of now somehow unwearable wings

In the bright side, they successfully removed the Twilight Crystals from all our inventories, just so that in the case they ever roll the event out again you couldn't just plop the first two weeks down immediately, oh wait... That WOULD have been good!

You should have used your twilight coins,that is your own fault if you had any left over. The twilight boxes costed 1 coin, so you shouldn't have had any left over, quit your complaining. Also if people did the event, they had the 100% guarantee to get a coupon to extend the wings by 1 year, instead of like 30 days or something. Which stacked ontop of the wing timer already meaning you had over 400 days on the wings.

You still haven't fixed your poll for people who are fine with RNG, and don't complain every single time RNG happens.
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    That's not a great "solution" to getting around RNG.
    Most people doing the boxes were already not satisfied with the option of 1 year expiring wings.

And if people aren't satisfied, they're gonna give feedback saying as much. But any negative feedback is ~complaining~
    A better option would have been to have the PERMANENT coupon on sale for 20 coins, not a 1 year extension.
    The expiring wings have the annoying limitation of not being able to be placed in the Dressing Room.
    I doubt you'd ever want to wear the same thing for a whole year at a time, and I also doubt you'd just throw out something you weren't going to wear it.
    Making the wings the permanent version would have enabled them to be put in the dressing room when not being worn, or possibly even sold to other players who wanted to collect all 3 types of wings.

And besides that, the Misc. prizes in the Twilight Coin Box were also pretty bad.
    7 Day Expiring 10 minute single-talent training potions?
    In a day where 1 Hour/1Day single-talent and Complete skill potions exist? Worth very little.

Special Gathering Speed Booster potions? They don't stack noticeably with Harvest song, and they come with a stamina penalty on top of that. Pass.

HP Buff Potion, Stamina Buff Potion, MP Buff Potion. No.
    Even if you wanted these, you could just go dungeon spelunking in dungeons with dead end hallway chests for these.

Single Homestead seed. Terrible.
    They're not even the special flower seeds.

Special Tendering Potions (20 minutes). Squire boxes give out 60 minute versions that don't have expiration timers.
    Not really a special prize for an event to have, since you can get these from in-game sources outside of events. (and they last longer)

Those Twilight Coin Boxes were pretty bad!
    Might as well say, at least they didn't put Cheap/Common Fabrics/Leathers into them!
    It would be really, REALLY nice, if there were less sucky things in these RNG boxes.
    If just to make the sting of not getting what you wanted a bit less aggravating.

It's not like peoples' standards are going to go down.
    GretaJazmyn[Deleted User]Taffyta
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    This is like complaining about the Illinois State Lottery and requiring the odds be adjusted to guarantee a win after so many dollars spent.

No, buying a lottery ticket is literally buying small chance to win a communal pot, with proceeds from every loss adding to that communal pot incentivising multiple tries for a VERY large pay off. And as theres is only a single drawing everyone's chances are equal.
    Whereas the Gacha/Loot box method is going to the store and buying bottled water, with a 1% chance it's fruit flavored, 3% chance it's water and 96% chance it's hobo spit. There's no improvement over the product when drawing a loss, the proceeds to not go into raising the future value of any specific targeted item. There's less incentive to continue, as each failure adds to an accumulative dissatisfaction (Unless you prefer drinking said hobo spit instead of water) and the fact that each "loss" doesn't make the "win" any sweeter, and as for chances, people can draw as many as their personal budget allows allowing for asquewed comparable chance rates.

Not to mention there IS a way to guarantee a Lottery win, and thats to buy every possible number combination, a spending of $20,000 worth of $2 tickets would cover all possible 100,000 outcomes in order to win several million dollars, but thats why powerball limits to 100 chances, but each chance transfers to all 52 different drawings, (with the knowledge that it's extremely unlikely that you'll check any drawing that isn't considered local)
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

Most of us only have or use one PC and have the same luck you do with 10 times the hours spent playing.

RNG does not mean "guaranteed to win everything in the pool every single time". ~

If that were even half true ~ I'd be a billionaire and would not have wasted half my life playing video games.

No where in the past posts was it said that RNG should equal a win every time, what it DOES mention is that there should be options OTHER THAN.

As for that last bit, the chances are proportianately inverse, the longer spent playing the less likely you are to be a millionare.
    At least not untill Real World Trading is made legal at least
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    You should have used your twilight coins,that is your own fault if you had any left over. The twilight boxes costed 1 coin, so you shouldn't have had any left over, quit your complaining. Also if people did the event, they had the 100% guarantee to get a coupon to extend the wings by 1 year, instead of like 30 days or something. Which stacked ontop of the wing timer already meaning you had over 400 days on the wings.

You still haven't fixed your poll for people who are fine with RNG, and don't complain every single time RNG happens.

I DID use all my coins, even though the issues when the event started weren't rectified, and I was not reembursed for the first two days the issue and the event, were unavailable, that is again not the complaint at issue here.

Okay, I'll admit I'm not the best at math, but even the most challenged elementary school student can tell you 400 is less than infinity.
    Yes, theres a guaranteed method to extend for +365 days for 20 coins, but what if you wanted the wings for a longer period than that?
    The proposed concept of this entire thread is to change that +365 days for 20 coins
    To be the +infinity days for 20 coins as it should be, instead of having the Infinite coupon locked away in the 1 coin RNG twilght boxes.
    Yes they offered an alternative in the form of an extention, a "Purchaseable Prize" if you will, and thats honestly an improvement over previous RNG events, as well as the current several gachas they are selling at this very moment, however the "Purchaseable Prize" as is it, can only realisticly be called a purchased extended demo instead of a full product, and was sold at the price most would pay a Full Product for.

Iyasenu wrote: »
    That's not a great "solution" to getting around RNG.
    Most people doing the boxes were already not satisfied with the option of 1 year expiring wings.

And if people aren't satisfied, they're gonna give feedback saying as much. But any negative feedback is ~complaining~
    A better option would have been to have the PERMANENT coupon on sale for 20 coins, not a 1 year extension.
    The expiring wings have the annoying limitation of not being able to be placed in the Dressing Room.
    I doubt you'd ever want to wear the same thing for a whole year at a time, and I also doubt you'd just throw out something you weren't going to wear it.
    Making the wings the permanent version would have enabled them to be put in the dressing room when not being worn, or possibly even sold to other players who wanted to collect all 3 types of wings.

And besides that, the Misc. prizes in the Twilight Coin Box were also pretty bad.
    In a day where 1 Hour/1Day single-talent and Complete skill potions exist? Worth very little.

Special Gathering Speed Booster potions? They don't stack noticeably with Harvest song, and they come with a stamina penalty on top of that. Pass.

Even if you wanted these, you could just go dungeon spelunking in dungeons with dead end hallway chests for these.

Special Tendering Potions (20 minutes). Squire boxes give out 60 minute versions that don't have expiration timers.
    Not really a special prize for an event to have, since you can get these from in-game sources outside of events. (and they last longer)

Might as well say, at least they didn't put Cheap/Common Fabrics/Leathers into them!
    It would be really, REALLY nice, if there were less sucky things in these RNG boxes.
    If just to make the sting of not getting what you wanted a bit less aggravating.

^ This... All of This ^
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited December 2, 2017
    Iyasenu wrote: »

The twilight box is well worth it. I didn't get the wings but I got 2 trade unlocks, 1 red prot stone, 1 blue prot stone and 2 enchant prot (they don't even expire) All that from 42 boxes