Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name Changes

Comments

• RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    What happens to the Fr list? Will this ninja that as well? :o
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Wait, so you can't change your name is you're in a guild? That's annoying.

• SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    edited December 2, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unlike KR; NA has had nearly 10 years worth of debates on this topic. They just don't debate stuff like we do. If you look back on some of those debates, you'll find a plethora of reasons why this isn't the greatest idea in the world. Not to mention. We've always had this service (in a way; sort of lol). ~ Vulgar word in your name = Instant Name Change and a random length vacation (anywhere from 2 hours to 200 years).

I voted no; but only because I don't choose names I'll later regret having. ~ (in Mabi ... lol -.- Maple doesn't count) . :trollface:

True true... BUT maybe we can think in a few options? Im sure the main problem is the scamers and such, but how about if this service goes ONLY for old players and/or high levels ones (to avoid the multi-account loophole) like:

- Having spent a minimum X amount of money on this game
    - 1 Year of activity or more
    - Character levels (Or main character level)
    Etc...
    [Deleted User]Trythis
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    What's wrong with a name change..? Sure why not. Just say (formally known as -blank-) when you right click them or hover over their name on something for about a month or two so people know.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited December 2, 2017
    I kinda want a name change. Imagine a player making their account when they were like 8 years old and after 10 years of playing the same game, they have to still deal with their childish silly name lol.
    Sheena
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    Sheena wrote: »
    Unlike KR; NA has had nearly 10 years worth of debates on this topic. They just don't debate stuff like we do. If you look back on some of those debates, you'll find a plethora of reasons why this isn't the greatest idea in the world. Not to mention. We've always had this service (in a way; sort of lol). ~ Vulgar word in your name = Instant Name Change and a random length vacation (anywhere from 2 hours to 200 years).

I voted no; but only because I don't choose names I'll later regret having. ~ (in Mabi ... lol -.- Maple doesn't count) . :trollface:

True true... BUT maybe we can think in a few options? Im sure the main problem is the scamers and such, but how about if this service goes ONLY for old players and/or high levels ones (to avoid the multi-account loophole) like:

- Having spent a minimum X amount of money on this game
    - 1 Year of activity or more
    - Character levels (Or main character level)
    Etc...
    Thats pretty good actually
    @Xiokun I think runescape has or had a system like that
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited December 2, 2017
    Nexon America : Can we hav....
    Nexon KR : I SAID NO
    Nexon America : Okay people... they said no.
    Nexon America Forum : WTasklfjsadkjfakljs GIVE US THIS AND DAT NAOOO RAGE

Pretty much.
    pawcalypseLeineiMizukiHayamaHazurah
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I'd like it. Dumb how Nexon KR dictates everything. It's like they hate NA.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    No more gacha or riot :trollface:
    Sherri
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Sherri wrote: »
    I'd like it. Dumb how Nexon KR dictates everything. It's like they hate NA.

That's just how Korea goes. Their company, their rules. They most likely check to see if its worth it. How much money will it take, the coding, would people even use it? etc. And, Korea usually loves NA so I think they're just not wanting to invest something that may end up flopping.
    [Deleted User]
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    Nexon mabinogi is the only game that i know that has huge problem for such simple thing
    it is fine if they prohibit you from using something vulgar but....

"you cant change name if bla bla bla"
    "changing name will cause bla bla bla"
    "changing name takes process for bla bla bla"
    "changing name requires bla bla bla other than your money"

i dont even find trouble changing name in old games such as Ragnarok Online

"because it is complicated"

well damn yourself for making everything in mabinogi complicated
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    edited December 5, 2017
    Multiposts have been merged. Please do not spam posts.

Neyna wrote: »
    Kaga wrote: »
    To this day my marriage title is still glitched due to my wife having a name change in 2015.

The GMs were also unable to fix it.

13fad714e3.jpg

And we can't divorce, so I can't marry Neyna

#pimp

:trollface:

More like Sharte can’t divorce even though she isn’t married ‘-‘

Hopefully name change does come to this game but before that, I hope they fix the issues my fam and I are having.
    The GM that gave me the name change IS aware of the bugs/issues with the family titles & tree as well as that there are now two Neyna in the guild list.

The solution was to divorce to fix the title issue, but we can’t even divorce in the first place. So they can’t do anything about it :<

Not sure what the divorce has to do with the title if it's related to something else entirely? You created a family....which....is like a perma stay where you are in this tree line. So if you change things....you cannot? you need to leave and rejoin/remake because there are changes? Unless you cannot un-join what you joined?

Anyways....back on topic.
    There was a game that always used their nickname/log-in user ID in joint with the IGN so no matter who had what name you can always tell who was who. Placing a former name would start to become a long one should have have the name change out indefinitely or keep rolling it every year as some ppl might change their name each time for the hell of it to see how long they can make it....unless you go by their former first name from the beginning which never changes.

I would think the former user log-in would be substantial because they took the feature out from logging in as you need your email acct nowadays. And nickname...im not sure if that's tied to forum nicknames or not so that might not work so well.
    Qwenalt wrote: »
    Would quite like this. My IGN is Qwenalt and so many people assume 'alt' means 'alt character of Qwen'. Not fun.

You cannot change the way some people think about your name....if you make a new one..what makes you think they will not come up with another creative way to make you not like your name. Just stick with it and make your reputation with such as you stuck with it so long already?

Most of the older players know my character despite being made fun of. Not sure if I would change my character name because I'm well known in that community.

If they would also allow a character change switch from your other characters.....That would be another options because as players make other characters they make better names for themselves and wish to switch at times...This ...I can see happening and would be great because then no one would have to worry about losing a name they like on their account.
    Hazurah wrote: »
    confusing isnt it?, the most basic part of MMORPG does not exist in the game
    NAME CHANGING! HOW HARD IT CAN BE?

It's simple in a perfect world...but since we aren't....the maliciousness in it all...you have to think of the ramifications that pertain to allowing such and how to moderate that. I mean.....Look how important this game is that they moderate it...Like all the harassment and such you know. :/
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    edited December 4, 2017
    @asnscorpio ~ Are you unable to use Edit? (This currently exists in KR; if you didn't know).

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/13804/forgotten-name-server-change-is-in-kr/p1 :)
    Nexon mabinogi is the only game that i know that has huge problem for such simple thing
    it is fine if they prohibit you from using something vulgar but....

"you cant change name if bla bla bla"
    "changing name will cause bla bla bla"
    "changing name takes process for bla bla bla"
    "changing name requires bla bla bla other than your money"

i dont even find trouble changing name in old games such as Ragnarok Online

"because it is complicated"

well damn yourself for making everything in mabinogi complicated
    None of this is complicated. You're making assumptions; not assertions. You're forgetting the other titles they have where this was trialed and fully abused. No one officially said this won't come here eventually. ~ Constantly pestering the staff with cries about updates in KR is old and annoying. ~ If you want what KR is testing so bad you can't wait for it to come here (if and when it does pass their testing); go play in KR.

The same applies to every other update KR releases or has released. ~ Constantly nagging the wrong people won't go anywhere. ~ (It's futile).
    RO is not relative to this discussion at all. ← (You're assuming all games are built the same way and use the same programming language**).

**RO is a LUA based game. (LUA is a fairly restricted programming language in terms of feature sets). ~ **Mabinogi is built in C++. :expressionless:

"none of this is complicated"

*proceed with explaining how complicated the name changing is*

oh irony

yeah sure eventually it will come here, right?
    like for how long?
    another 3 years? 10 years? perhaps never?

you are answering exactly the same with the person that when i ask about FMA crossover, they said, it will eventually here

like hell i will listen such as bull
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,140
    edited December 5, 2017
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    Neyna wrote: »
    Kaga wrote: »
    To this day my marriage title is still glitched due to my wife having a name change in 2015.

The GMs were also unable to fix it.

13fad714e3.jpg

And we can't divorce, so I can't marry Neyna

#pimp

:trollface:

More like Sharte can’t divorce even though she isn’t married ‘-‘

Hopefully name change does come to this game but before that, I hope they fix the issues my fam and I are having.
    The GM that gave me the name change IS aware of the bugs/issues with the family titles & tree as well as that there are now two Neyna in the guild list.

The solution was to divorce to fix the title issue, but we can’t even divorce in the first place. So they can’t do anything about it :<

Not sure what the divorce has to do with the title if it's related to something else entirely? You created a family....which....is like a perma stay where you are in this tree line. So if you change things....you cannot? you need to leave and rejoin/remake because there are changes? Unless you cannot un-join what you joined?

I got a name change fyi. We wanted to get remarried so it would say Sasochan Neyna's Husband instead of Sasochan Sharte's Husband. Sasochan cannot divorce "Sharte" because Sharte is Neyna, which was orginally Sharte.
    I can leave the family (if that's even possible), but it wouldn't change the marriage title for Sasochan.
    Look at Sasochan and Neyna's title and you can see what the issue is.

ps. How can one of us leave if we can't even divorce? We are both the parent in the family tree. Even if I can, it wouldn't fix the marriage title.
    The GM is aware of this issue and couldn't assist us with it.
    They know that my old gears also say "Sharte-only item" and I can equip them without needing to trade unlock too.
    Kaga
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    confusing isnt it?, the most basic part of MMORPG does not exist in the game
    NAME CHANGING! HOW HARD IT CAN BE?

Considering the fact that KR has a team dedicated to monitoring each request, as well as fraud checkers... Nexon NA is probably not in a state to release it at this time.
    If they had implemented it several years earlier, they would have had the additional human resources available to do so.
    Right now they aren't matching up in any popularity contests, so finding capable employees is probably going to be difficult, unless there's just one person who can handle the mountains of time it'll take.
    There's just so much that needs to be done to keep Mabinogi up to date and modern, that it probably seems like something Nexon KR or NA doesn't really think needs to be added immediately.
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    I asked a GM about this and the reasons why it's not done now and its because it is a lot of work, meaning they have to go through and change the name on friendslist, homesteads, guilds, families etc the list is pretty long. Mabi NA still have a while before we can get it implemented it seems.
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,140
    edited December 6, 2017
    Leilicia wrote: »
    I asked a GM about this and the reasons why it's not done now and its because it is a lot of work, meaning they have to go through and change the name on friendslist, homesteads, guilds, families etc the list is pretty long. Mabi NA still have a while before we can get it implemented it seems.

Or try to fix my issues first and the things you mentioned, then they can decide if they want to allow players to get a name change #testsubject
    LeiliciaKaga
  • ThoraThora
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    edited January 2, 2018
    Please, don't argue with bad arguments like "is too complicated" .. "the friend list" .. "homestead.." .. "ign's only items" .. "easy exit for scammers".. (NO... there's something called CHARACTER ID / ACCOUNT ID which are trackable)...

Seriously, in terms of programming, its literally the SIMPLIEST feature to implement... oh wait! its already been implemented in the game time ago!

Yes..
    its already been implemented by nexon Korea long time ago, and it's been on for 17.500 17.800 Cash and working fine for their community

http://mabinogi.nexon.com/ItemShop/product_detail.asp?product_no=449896

There's literally no real argument for not implementing this, i even tried to open a ticket to request a name change, even saying that i was up to pay whatever it takes for it, and nexon's support center answers that the only way i can change my char's IGN is if the name is "offensive" or whatever... so guess what, my name IS offensive to me considering is not right for the gender of my character, i made a really bad mistake, so why not allow us to fix it by ourselves by spending money in NX? just like in REAL life, in most countries you can change your real name at least once (at least you can in my country !...)

Lets be honest, a lot of people here feels a bit ashamed of what they picked up as IGN if they ever tried the game during childhood or something right?
    some of us are now capable of spend money to fix such silly mistakes, so why not Nexon America? what makes YOU so special over KR/JP/TW/CN servers?

I could mention loads of other examples like the ability to gift nx items, present in most of the servers out there BUT NA's....
    anyways, lets bring this up and make our server a bit more up to date to the real gaming logic and fantasy life !

PS: Sorry for my engrish.com, but you probably get the point of this poll lol
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    If it's over in other servers, why not let us have it?
    Same with the mentioned 'Gifting NX'.
    Why does NA get this abuse?

Everywhere else gets great treatment and features while we rot over here!
    It's the same in MapleStory too!
    Thora
  • ElfyElfy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,780
    edited January 14, 2018
    Nexon needs to implement a Name Change option for the NA server for Mabinogi.
    The Korean server already has it, why are we so behind?

A lot of players have had their accounts for many years. Some of us thought we wouldn't take this game seriously at first, therefore created a silly name meant to be temporary.
    Others might have outgrown their username, or perhaps have a sensitive name that was meant to be endearing to a partner, friend, or family member that is no longer with us.

I personally think the first name change should be free, as this has been a highly requested item for many years. But this is a purchaseable item in the Korean Nexon shop.
    $17.00 is completely reasonable for a name change item. Even if you have to limit how many name changes are available, one would be completely fine (for me personally).

Direct Link to the Item Shop for Korean Nexon Server: mabinogi.nexon.com/ItemShop/product_list.asp

IMAGES HERE: FKHFvkQ.png
    OtWHIZe.png
    wmWVuiX.png