Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Does Playing Mabinogi makes someone a Weeaboo?

Light_NovelsLight_Novels
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in Town Square
So I tried to share Mabinogi with my friends at school but they called me a weeaboo because it's "Anime". I don't really watch cartoons religiously enough to be a "weeaboo" I think but I can't help it if the game chooses this art.

I'm sorry guys. I tried to do my share of the work and spread the love. But since my circle of friends don't really like Mabinogi, I'm going to stop playing it. On another note...can I even be a weeaboo if I'm half-Japanese anyways?

Okay I'll end it here before this get any weirder. Bye all.

Comments

• RegnaladeRegnalade
    Mabinogi Rep: 830
    If you love playing the game you can keep playing it, regardless if your friends like it or not...what matters most is if its something you like. As for the weeaboo thing, I took this from Crunchyroll forums..

"A weeaboo basically is just an otaku that has taken their passion into something more drastic. Basically they start replacing English words such as "Cat" and "Cute" with "Neko" and "Kawaii". They will use these words almost all the time online and offline and abuse them. Also they curse how they aren't Japanese and don't dare to touch stuff such as American video games or watch any American media. "Weeaboo" is an insult because of this."
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Yeah. An avid fan of anime is not a weeaboo. They only become a weeaboo if you add more, for example things like @Regnalade pointed out. There are people who, even if they don't do that ,believe that they would've lived a better life had they been born in japan, even though they most probably don't have a single clue as to what life is actually like over there. That kind of stuff.
  • KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    People just use weeaboo as a generic insult for anything remotely anime looking these days. I wouldn't read too much into it. If they don't want to play, let them be. It's them that are missing out.
    GretaXxBearslayerxXSherriAsaluanseRiddleTricksterTheNyanCatZeoNewbieChain
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    the game wasnt all that weaboo at first because it was a good mix of western and eastern themes, but now with all of the newer content it makes it look like it is indeed weaboo.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    weeaboo implies you are obsessed with anime and manga things. mabi may have anime like graphics but the original version is Korean and the game is based off of Irish mythology so the weeaboo term does not really fit in this case. just cause the graphics look like a anime doesn't mean they are. either way you should stop worrying about it and just enjoy mabi. if your friends dislike mabi only for a silly reason like that then that is their loss.
    Darkpixie99GretaXxBearslayerxXSherriTheNyanCatNewbieChain
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Negumiko wrote: »
    weeaboo implies you are obsessed with anime and manga things. mabi may have anime like graphics but the original version is Korean and the game is based off of Irish mythology so the weeaboo term does not really fit in this case. just cause the graphics look like a anime doesn't mean they are. either way you should stop worrying about it and just enjoy mabi. if your friends dislike mabi only for a silly reason like that then that is their loss.

Anime is not just from Japan anymore.
    XxBearslayerxX
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited December 11, 2017
    It makes you a gamer, actually. A weaboo is just a derogatory term no real meaning; from someone who has been called four-eyes for as long as I can remember being called anything else has lost its impact on me.
    If you ever come back to playing Mabinogi, play for your own enjoyment and if no one else likes it - sucks for them since they're missing out. Mabinogi is not perfect but if you like it, you like it. It's just like the food you like eating, no one else can eat it for you and it's the thing you prefer to have instead of what others want. Sorry, I'm a bit hungry...
    badnewsbarrettXxBearslayerxXAsaluanse
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    It is just a videogame
    pawcalypseNewbieChain
  • VaughanVaughan
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    Weeaboo is a derogatory term for someone that fetishizes Japanese culture and language, usually through an unhealthy obsession with anime and manga.

Mabinogi is a Korean game based on Celtic mythology with an anime aesthetic, so... I'm gonna go with no.
    Shadoe
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310
    People who don't understand the intricacies of the term or true definition tend to be the ones throwing it around insultingly. I've had some interesting experiences with people using "weeb/weeaboo" to fit their own ideas and prejudices. I don't look much like a stereotypical "weeb" but I like to wear anime/comic book shirts in public on my days off and this tends to draw conversation from folks out and about. Often these folks have then gone on to say how much they hate weebs/weeaboos for "ruining" anime/characters/videogames/cosplay/etc for the "rest of us". Tbh I'd never mind being called a weeb, and find it funny that based on appearances people assume I'm far from one.

Long story short, people like to throw insults around when it's convenient and fits their perceived stereotype. I'd say ditch those guys and keep playing if Mabi brings you joy.
    Asaluanse
  • JulieJulie
    wait didnt i see this thread in townsquare?
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    The game has more virtues than being a run of the mill "anime" MMO. This is where the reasoning to play Mabinogi matters.
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    with all due respect, but deciding not to play something because others don't like it is kind of a sad reason in my opinion. you should play becuase you like a game, not because you're friends like it. I mean, of course it's fun to be able to play games with friends you have in real life, but if they don't want to play, then just make friends in the game (I know, easier said than done for some). just don't let others decide what you like.

kudos to attempting to spread mabi love though, not much more you can do on your part
    Mabbi
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    edited December 12, 2017
    Julie wrote: »
    wait didnt i see this thread in townsquare?

EDIT: Apparently now the threads were merged. My original post was not deleted for no reason, the whole thread was apparently moved and replaced by an identical one...? I am conufsed, but whatever!
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    edited December 11, 2017
    This is a "Hello, I can't think for myself because mah fwendz r all chads" thread.

If you like mabi, just play it. I thought playing mabi would make me a weaboo so that discouraged me at first as well.

... Then realized I played maplestory, and knew that I couldn't really be more weeaboo anyways.
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    Nearly everyone watches or plays Pokemon, that means everyone is a weeaboo, you weeb
    SylviaWolfeIyasenuSherriNilrem
  • XxBearslayerxXXxBearslayerxX
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    Anyone who plays Pokemon Go is a weeaboo. Also. Mabi is Korean
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    yes playing mabinogi makes you a weeaboo, traps are gay, super mario odissey is a great game, there's nothing wrong with pineapple pizza you're just an uncultured swine, the earth is round and this forum is horrible
    [Deleted User]XxBearslayerxXRegnaladeSherriDANIarts
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited December 13, 2017
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    yes playing mabinogi makes you a weeaboo, traps are gay, super mario odissey is a great game, there's nothing wrong with pineapple pizza you're just an uncultured swine, the earth is flat and this forum is lit

There, fixed. It's more accurate now. :D
    XxBearslayerxXDANIarts
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    guy guys guys listen

we're KOREABOOS
    get your insults right
    xD on a more serious note: If you choose to play a game based on what your friends think, do you even have a brain? Can you think for yourself? My friends, when I first played this years ago, thought the game was ehh but hey I like it and I dont even talk to those friends anymore. my gf is actually interested in playing over the summer so thats lit. Think for yourself.

Do you like mabi? Do you like the graphic design? If you said yes to any one of those questions: Mabi is the game for you!
    If you listen to what your friends like and dislike, then I kind of feel sorry for you /: It'd be okay to a limit, but quitting a game because they don't like it is...well..messed up tbh.