Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Cutthroat or Stinger?

Comments

• WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Ah....is crit bad for chain blades? Everyone seems to be suggesting that. Either way, I really like the Stinger, even if it is "inferior". It just looks cool. ^ ^
    pawcalypse
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited December 19, 2017
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, it is very nice but it's also lacking blacksmith bonus which means it's not really that much of an improvement over a smithed cutthroat.

It out shines my smithed cutthroat by a lot. Not much you can do without GM.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Ah....is crit bad for chain blades? Everyone seems to be suggesting that. Either way, I really like the Stinger, even if it is "inferior". It just looks cool. ^ ^

Given that one of the Chain Blade's main damage stats is Luck, and if you're going to use Chain Blades, you're going to want to have a good amount of Luck.
    And Since Luck gives a good amount of Critical % on its own, and since only about 33~40% of hits can be critical, even if your Critical % is in the multiple of hundreds, choosing a weapon with more Critical % over one with more Max Damage, when either one results in you having enough Critical % to effectively cap out your critical hit rate isn't the optimal choice.

But the Stinger does look more cool than the Cutthroat, but that's my opinion.
    JazmynWolfandWolf
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited December 19, 2017

Yes crit is always bad
    Always go for max damage
  • KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    Just while we're on this, the Celtic Howling artisan gives a little more max damage but the Unique Upgrade gives it decent damage and restores some of it's durability. Which one would be better.
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited December 19, 2017
    Kokoro wrote: »
    Just while we're on this, the Celtic Howling artisan gives a little more max damage but the Unique Upgrade gives it decent damage and restores some of it's durability. Which one would be better.

Unique upgrade.
    Not sure about the artisan stats. But with artisan you have to deal with RNG and have to have the removal kit
    If you're a min maxer and if artisan is potentially better, then sure go for it
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited December 19, 2017
    Having crit over 100%+ is still useful if you spam hardmodes since those guys have high protection.
    WolfandWolf
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665

It's just that you should be hitting the crit cap several times over with just sheer base stats. If you're not capping crit on a mob chances are you're too low for it.
    WolfandWolf
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited December 19, 2017
    for me I chose the stinger because it looks better imo, cuttthroat is just a bulky cardinal. Yeah its not as good as the cuttthroat but I just plan to use this as a regular spammy weapon and eventually get a celtic chain for more power.Ill use the stinger for sms or not crazy dungeons etc. so im not worried about damage , so I went with looks.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    lceCream wrote: »
    Yes crit is always bad
    Always go for max damage

Wouldn’t you want crit on the special upgrade, though? Because of high luck, most of the damage is going to come from crits to begin with, so a boost to that would be pretty much exponential.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

1g per point base repair cost is a grand thing.
    [Deleted User]
  • FrosslassFrosslass
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    I prefer Cutthroat not only for stats but because Most of my outfits cover the gauntlets anyway, so it looks like a hidden blade kind of thing
    702yiil.jpg

While the Stinger shows through and looks weird
    MKHGbkK.jpg?1
    Crimsọn
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    edited December 20, 2017
    Kokoro wrote: »

Unique upgrade.
    Not sure about the artisan stats. But with artisan you have to deal with RNG and have to have the removal kit
    If you're a min maxer and if artisan is potentially better, then sure go for it

This is incorrect, the artisan is better even with average rolls. The artisan on mine is 23 max, 29 luck and 30hp (i think it's 30 anyway...). The max damage is 28, I took the 23 because it's near max roll luck which makes up for it.
    Frosslass wrote: »
    I prefer Cutthroat not only for stats but because Most of my outfits cover the gauntlets anyway, so it looks like a hidden blade kind of thing
    702yiil.jpg

While the Stinger shows through and looks weird
    MKHGbkK.jpg?1
    Celtic does this too, kinda sad because most outfits just clip really bad with it

And yes you want red upgrade on this blue is inferior
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

Yeah, I get what everyone's saying about crit, but I think I still really like Stinger for th-

*checks out Hardmuscle's pic*
    !!!!!

O>O Nevermind, Cardinal is fantastic!
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Aquasol wrote: »
    Yes crit is always bad
    Always go for max damage

Wouldn’t you want crit on the special upgrade, though? Because of high luck, most of the damage is going to come from crits to begin with, so a boost to that would be pretty much exponential.

Not sure, but it seems most people's crits are already sky high to cap at the 30% limit on nearly every ingame enemy. (+7.5% from the Renown.)