Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is there any viable reason to still Elf Melee?

bunny11bunny11
Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
in Help
Is there any viable reason for any Elves to do Melee with a STR type combat weapon?

Or has Chain Blade replaced it?

Comments

• lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    Chain blade is range
    Soluna blade is still best melee for elf
  • bunny11bunny11
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
    edited December 19, 2017
    lceCream wrote: »
    Chain blade is range

Interesting thanks. Do you know what the best ego melee weapon is for elf?

I'm debating between Bow & Melee or Bow & Chain Blade-- I'm bored of magic
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    edited December 19, 2017
    Pretty sure chain blade deals melee damage, despite being ranged. So yes, I do honestly believe that ordinary melee is worthless, because you're never ever getting a soluna blade.
  • SapphiraMuseSapphiraMuse
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,450
    Chain blade is range

Chain blade may seem like it's range because of the attack distance, but it is more of a melee talent. Why do I say this? Because every currently available offensive skill aside from Spinning Slasher and Chain Sweep can be countered.
    Jazmyn
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited December 19, 2017
    bunny11 wrote: »
    Chain blade is range

Interesting thanks. Do you know what the best ego melee weapon is for elf?

I'm debating between Bow & Melee or Bow & Chain Blade-- I'm bored of magic

bow and chain blade is better but you have to grind the dex with all those life skills
    if you have decent dex go for chain blade
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Chain Blade seems to be the best way for an Elf to deal "melee"-type damage. (the kind mitigated by Heavy Stander)

The single target options might feel a little slower if you're used to the speed of pulling off Bashes because you're limited to Chain Imaple and Chain Crush which have longer animations/delay between spam, but the Area damage is definitely better than Str-Melee options. These skill damage % multipliers are really large, compared to many other skills.

Might want to choose a different weapon if you end up using Judgment Blade for something, since Chain Blade Mastery incurs a -20% penalty to that when equipped with a Chain Blade.
  • PomatoesPomatoes
    Mabinogi Rep: 250
    edited December 19, 2017
    Unfortunately Rage Impact can't be used with Chain Blade equipped so that would probably be the only reason for an elf to have a melee weapon... Rage Impact > Chain Sweep does some nice dmg.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Pomatoes wrote: »
    Unfortunately Rage Impact can't be used with Chain Blade equipped so that would probably be the only reason for an elf to have a melee weapon... Rage Impact > Chain Sweep does some nice dmg.

At least with the next update, Chain Blades will get Chain Burst, which makes all Chain Blade skills deal extra damage for the duration.
    I mean, you can still use Rage Impact with that for even more damage, but Chain Burst does last for the whole duration, and not just one hit.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Chain blade is range

Chain blade may seem like it's range because of the attack distance, but it is more of a melee talent. Why do I say this? Because every currently available offensive skill aside from Spinning Slasher and Chain Sweep can be countered.

Correct. For me I realised it did melee damage the moment I saw it hurting zombies. If it was ranged damage it would have pinged their lv3 natural shield and I would have gotten some very easy training done. >>

I do like that it's a dex-based melee talent though.