Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Does Armor Change Along With Gender Swap?

AkatsukiBlackroseAkatsukiBlackrose
Mabinogi Rep: 565
edited December 22, 2017 in General Chat
I don't want to experiment doing something irreversible so I'm asking first. Does the Adventurer's armor you receive as one gender change along with the other you've switched to? I know it doesn't work with clothes or shoes so you must get a whole new set but is armor different? Thanks!

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Clothes never change. Only unisex armor can be worn between gender swaps. To my knowledge, Adventurer's Armor should be Unisex.
  • FoxgirlkatieFoxgirlkatie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,055
    prntscr.com/hr1je5

as stated on the wiki the armor is indeed Unisex. so the armour can be worn by both genders allowing it to be used by people who Gender Swap without needing a new set to fit their new Gender.
  • AkatsukiBlackroseAkatsukiBlackrose

Alright, I'm getting different opinions on Mabinogi Reddit too, but their general aggreement is that the first issued Adventuers's Armor is gender-specific because the male Cuirass torso armor cannot be exchanged with female Graceful armor so you must create a new opposite sex character to rob your new armour from. Supposedly long ago there was once a unofficial way to "unlock" sex-specific apparel in Mabinogi to make anything unisex but I guess that practice has been long trashed.

• NanocaNanoca
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245
    Again, this is where Nexon could make some money. Offering a "swap" where if you changed genders, so would your wardrobe.
    Nanoca wrote: »
    Again, this is where Nexon could make some money. Offering a "swap" where if you changed genders, so would your wardrobe.

I wonder whether Nexon is aware that NOT allowing such gaming options may well be costing them money and players! I don't know how true it is but gamers on Reddit guess the reason for this could be that Asian gaming attitudes don't put as much a value in expanding features like sex swapping as Western World views do, Crystal ball time!
    Darkpixie99
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Alright, I'm getting different opinions on Mabinogi Reddit too, but their general aggreement is that the first issued Adventuers's Armor is gender-specific because the male Cuirass torso armor cannot be exchanged with female Graceful armor so you must create a new opposite sex character to rob your new armour from. Supposedly long ago there was once a unofficial way to "unlock" sex-specific apparel in Mabinogi to make anything unisex but I guess that practice has been long trashed.

I don't remember there ever being a way to "unlock" sex specific clothes in the past. Also, I would make sure that the adventurer stuff can be transfered through bank accounts before making another char to steal their armor, because I think these particular outfits are locked to their specific character.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660

I don't remember there ever being a way to "unlock" sex specific clothes in the past. Also, I would make sure that the adventurer stuff can be transfered through bank accounts before making another char to steal their armor, because I think these particular outfits are locked to their specific character.

I believe that the method was through rebirth cards and the clothing that came through it.
    You'd rebirth only to get the premium newbie wear, so it may not be like the method to get the new freebie armor, but it was a method to get more clothes without having to gamble.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900

I believe that the method was through rebirth cards and the clothing that came through it.
    You'd rebirth only to get the premium newbie wear, so it may not be like the method to get the new freebie armor, but it was a method to get more clothes without having to gamble.

Ah but it sounded like they were talking about already existing clothes being turned into the other gender, not rebirthing to get a new set of clothes. But if that is what they meant, then you can still do that now; rebirth and get whatever newbie clothes matches your new gender. I don't think it would affect already existing clothes though.
  • CometRiderCometRider
    Mabinogi Rep: 440
    Seasons Greetings!
    Supposedly long ago there was once a unofficial way to "unlock" sex-specific apparel in Mabinogi to make anything unisex but I guess that practice has been long trashed.

I heard a rumor about this while doing DOFUS ages ago but it was short.

Why there isn't an automatic sex-adjusted current wardrobe change instead of forcing a new outlay of money on a whole new one beats me. It only discourages gamers (at least in the Western world?) from hanging on an otherwise remarkably diverse MMO past all the fashion shows which IMHO Nexon shouldn't be promoting so hard over its other golden nuggets. Even for its age Mabinogi should have well over at least three times the gamer population it presntly does. Then, the Korean mindset might just be content on not enhancing those aspects of the game which appeal to Western gamers.

Have a Merry Xmas & Safe and Happy New Year

CometRider wrote: »
    Seasons Greetings!
    Supposedly long ago there was once a unofficial way to "unlock" sex-specific apparel in Mabinogi to make anything unisex but I guess that practice has been long trashed.

I heard a rumor about this while doing DOFUS ages ago but it was short.

Why there isn't an automatic sex-adjusted current wardrobe change instead of forcing a new outlay of money on a whole new one beats me. It only discourages gamers (at least in the Western world?) from hanging on an otherwise remarkably diverse MMO past all the fashion shows which IMHO Nexon shouldn't be promoting so hard over its other golden nuggets. Even for its age Mabinogi should have well over at least three times the gamer population it presntly does. Then, the Korean mindset might just be content on not enhancing those aspects of the game which appeal to Western gamers.

Have a Merry Xmas & Safe and Happy New Year

It is curious Nexon hasn't permitted this, considering how suggestively transgendered many of its NPCs are!
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Like Elsie once said "Why we are pretending that fabric somehow has a gender?"

It got me thinking now...
    The idea is unfeasible, since many outfits do not have an opposite sex counterpart.

(You could argue some do, but honestly, most of the population stick to just one gender by preference.)
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited December 23, 2017
    Greta wrote: »

A lot of the arguments fall back to how old the engine is, but it probably is mainly KR just not seeing the need for a massive wave of adaptable outfit sets.
    It's also probably just easier for them to continue testing the old fashioned way instead of developing a new system altogether.
    This is why so many people have begged for Nexon NA to have some of the tech and education they'd need to think/work like devcat in order to modernize the game.
    Unfortunately...Nexon KR senpai has never noticed the problem, or at least officially addressed the issue of one sided development and minimal innovation.
    The idea is unfeasible, since many outfits do not have an opposite sex counterpart.

(You could argue some do, but honestly, most of the population stick to just one gender by preference.)

This is easily fixed in the current situation with Eluned outfits or designing an alternate version from scratch with minor alterations.
    (Despite the NPC never upgrading her stock with such outfits, and them going straight to gamble loot boxes.)
    All in all it's too much work for the KR artists, what with the current revamp planning and the notorious amount of holidays for days off work.

Greta wrote: »

A lot of the arguments fall back to how old the engine is, but it probably is mainly KR just not seeing the need for a massive wave of adaptable outfit sets.
    It's also probably just easier for them to continue testing the old fashioned way instead of developing a new system altogether.
    This is why so many people have begged for Nexon NA to have some of the tech and education they'd need to think/work like devcat in order to modernize the game.
    Unfortunately...Nexon KR senpai has never noticed the problem, or at least officially addressed the issue of one sided development and minimal innovation.

This is easily fixed in the current situation with Eluned outfits or designing an alternate version from scratch with minor alterations.
    (Despite the NPC never upgrading her stock with such outfits, and them going straight to gamble loot boxes.)
    All in all it's too much work for the KR artists, what with the current revamp planning and the notorious amount of holidays for days off work.

Pretty much, though I much prefer the idea of simply unisex outfits, perhaps. The danger being that one such as the developers will design clothes to "appear unisex", rather than simply lifting restrictions in the first place. Some clothes are more accustomed to a feminine aesthetic not found in males, and vice versa. I may prefer such an aesthetic at times.

Though this isn't to mention it being more profitable for Nexon for them to shove eluneds in the gachapons as if they're something new.
    Darkpixie99
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    prntscr.com/hr1je5

as stated on the wiki the armor is indeed Unisex. so the armour can be worn by both genders allowing it to be used by people who Gender Swap without needing a new set to fit their new Gender.

Why didn't you just link to the wiki page? O_o
    [Deleted User]
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited December 24, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »
    prntscr.com/hr1je5

Here, I'll fix it.
    Wiki Link
    IMG:
    xGCfcdFUTCmsCHFk_vdnJQ.png
  • CometRiderCometRider
    Mabinogi Rep: 440
    Gaea wrote: »
    prntscr.com/hr1je5

The Wiki is in error. The Adventurers' Beginners Armor is gender-specific not unisex because the male Cuirass torso armor cannot be exchanged with female Graceful armor. This is described in their description and I've tested it out. Their greaves can be sex exchanged but not the top.

• SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    I still think we need an NPC that changes our clothes between the gender versions :v

Lets say that there is this X event that gave you a MALE version of an outfit, but your main is FEMALE, so then all you have to do is go to this NPC and give them the Male outfit you got and get the Female version in exchange and viceversa.