Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

So can we Talk about the squires for a second?

shintaroshy64shintaroshy64
Mabinogi Rep: 880
in Story Discussion
<spoilers>
What are your thoughts on the squires?
Starting this thread because i've recently been into leveling them and wanted a place rant.
When I first started doing the squire system, I gotta say the way the most of the squires acted kind of annoyed me, because you go there, your ready to train them, and out of all of them only logan and kanna actually offer to part of your unit, I can understand Elsie not wanting to because she's scared of you and stuff, but the other three not even offering to seemed a bit rude.
Personally I like kanna the most, especially since nobody really expected her to make it, and everyone kind of expected her to leave but out of all of them she is the only one (apart from logan) who actually offered to do thing that's the reason why they're there in the first place.

This is also one of the reasons why I dislike Eirlys, because she acts all high and mighy and everything and when you talk to her she's got that Himedere Tsundere vibe going on, but on top of that she was also looking down at Kanna when they were trying out to be in the squad.

Dai's okay, at least he has a light side to him, and he's not that aggressive to you even at likeability level one. Kaoru's okay, I mean sure He's going that goth phase, but I'm sure he'll come out of it.
DanievictriaLialin

Comments

• GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    One of the things the dev team was going for was open hostilities the squires have towards you and that you as their instructor must find ways to open them up to you. Kanna is receptive towards you because it is her dream to become a full fledged knight, she is willing to take any help and any training to reach her goals. If her superiors say you are good, then to her, you are good. Logan's case is a bit more interesting as it spoils a bit into his story a bit, but long story short, he has given up everything else in his life to get to this point, when you meet him, you are quite literally the only thing he has left to cling to. Kaoru and Eirlys are the proud types, for all intents and purposes, you have no rank or name in the Alban Knights organization, thus they feel they don't need to give you respect. As for Elsie, she's not actually scared of you, she puts up that front because it makes things easy for her, if you get to know her though, she wants you all to herself. At this point I'm waiting for the bodies of Kanna and Eirlys to float down the river one day on the account that she doesn't like it when you interact with them.
    shintaroshy64GretaArchdukeValeCorteznajee508PrezzixLialin
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    Yes, Kanna best squire, so adorable. Logan and Dai are cool too.

Kaour's alright, just a bit uptight.

Eirlys is a butt, and Elsie is annoying. I haven't actually worked on getting either of them to like me though, so I don't know much about them, except that Elsie is a yandere because everyone likes to spoil talk about that.
    Hiroki05Goldtiger01Xiokun
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Well yeah. It would be boring if they were all Kannas. A lot of these tropes come from Japanese media, especially Visual Novels.

Kanna is a genki kouhai, genki being energetic and friendly, if not a bit too excited, and respectful to you

Logan is a fairly nice guy, hiding a secret past of what he has sacrificed to become a knight. He is a vanilla boyfriend to contrast the more eccentric types of Kaour and Dai.

Eirlys is a tsundere. Tsundere being that she warms up to you eventually, showing signs of it over time. She also has a superiority inferiority complex regarding Kanna. She believes she is a prodigious squire in training, thus her belief in her superiority, but if someone bests her in anything related to it, she hold grudges as well as dwell on this lost, no matter how small or unintentional. Her pride is easily damaged, but it has a reason regarding why she is a Knight in the place. This type of conflict is particularly famous for the example that Sasuke had one to Naruto. Sasuke, being incredibly gifted and their to the Uchihas, requiring Naruto's help to finish a fight, as well as watching him grow exponentially while he stagnated at Konohagakure.

Elsie is not scared. If you use her keyword, you see hints of the truth, with other Squires being uncomfortable around her, to Dai being scared enough that he asks you do not mention her. She is very obsessive to you as affection goes up, a yandere girl, like Yuno from Future Diaries, except more tame.

Dai is arrogant. I do not know much, other than the fact that he and Kaour hanged out so much that rumors spread of their gayness.

Kaour is cold. That is the point. Seeing a stoic guy smile is pretty heartwarming. It is one thing to be friends with a nice guy, but another when he is only really nice to you.
    shintaroshy64KingEphyGretaSherriPaxsekoPrezzixBronzebreakImaizumiLialin
  • shintaroshy64shintaroshy64
    Mabinogi Rep: 880
    looks like there's more to them than I thought lol.
    Well yeah. It would be boring if they were all Kannas. A lot of these tropes come from Japanese media, especially Visual Novels.

Kanna is a genki kouhai, genki being energetic and friendly, if not a bit too excited, and respectful to you

Logan is a fairly nice guy, hiding a secret past of what he has sacrificed to become a knight. He is a vanilla boyfriend to contrast the more eccentric types of Kaour and Dai.

Eirlys is a tsundere. Tsundere being that she warms up to you eventually, showing signs of it over time. She also has a superiority inferiority complex regarding Kanna. She believes she is a prodigious squire in training, thus her belief in her superiority, but if someone bests her in anything related to it, she hold grudges as well as dwell on this lost, no matter how small or unintentional. Her pride is easily damaged, but it has a reason regarding why she is a Knight in the place. This type of conflict is particularly famous for the example that Sasuke had one to Naruto. Sasuke, being incredibly gifted and their to the Uchihas, requiring Naruto's help to finish a fight, as well as watching him grow exponentially while he stagnated at Konohagakure.

Elsie is not scared. If you use her keyword, you see hints of the truth, with other Squires being uncomfortable around her, to Dai being scared enough that he asks you do not mention her. She is very obsessive to you as affection goes up, a yandere girl, like Yuno from Future Diaries, except more tame.

Dai is arrogant. I do not know much, other than the fact that he and Kaour hanged out so much that rumors spread of their gayness.

Kaour is cold. That is the point. Seeing a stoic guy smile is pretty heartwarming. It is one thing to be friends with a nice guy, but another when he is only really nice to you.

The thing I like about dai is although he talks big and always says how he just likes to mess around, when you start ranking your squires all of the ones you haven't recruited start ranking themselves up as well, so it's sort of like although he says he's not serious about it he actually is because his stats keep on going up when you haven't recruited him.

but seeing all of the dialogue makes me wonder about the little things, like what happens if you refuse to take that squire out over the other, since you never get to see what the other story options are once you make your choice.
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    They all seem to fit a common personality found in anime/visual novels that bliss pointed out. Other than that I find it a pretty decent addition to mabi at least.
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    Wait, what? Elsie has yandere vibes? YES! I knew my investments of No Lifeness in her is going to be worth it!

Seriously though, Yandere vibes? That's quite unexpected, I thought she would just come out of her shell and become the calm quite girl of the group lol
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    @FilthyRedDevil

Heck to the yes she is a yandere, and it's amazing LOL.
    FilthyRedDevil
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    @BerrySwirl

Can you give me a few examples? I have a feeling it will take me a lot longer than expected to get intimate with her 030
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    @FilthyRedDevil

I'm only lv 4 with her myself, but I have seen screenshots somewhere of her at lv5. That's why I chose her :D
    FilthyRedDevil
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Elsie is a mild kind of yandere, she has her moments, but she isn't "I'm going to kill my rivals then break your arms and legs and lock you in my basement" crazy. The most is that she goes on a long rant how she dislikes how she doesn't like the way you look at Kanna and Eirlys and that you only need to focus your attention on her. That and someone was hitting on her during a mission, and that she took care of them. There was no witnesses.
  • Karin_TaoriKarin_Taori
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,365
    Berryswirl wrote: »
    @FilthyRedDevil

Heck to the yes she is a yandere, and it's amazing LOL.

http://alst.boards.net/thread/1017/elsie-yandere

you're welcome.
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • KairiUJMKKairiUJMK
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,455
    My sole focus has mainly been on Kaour. He's my favorite. Yes he does start off cold, but as his likability goes up, you realize why he is, the way he is. Not sure if I should spoil....but alot of people are spoiling, ty for letting me know Elsie was a yandere, I never got to her yet o.o. Though yeah, it's all because of daddy issues (basically his dad died not taking orders I forget the specifics, but he did it to save people and Kaour didn't know, so after that Kaour believes orders are a MUST)Though yeah, once he's like level 5 after his special mission, omg, he's SO MUCH MORE NICER, he gives you respect, and when you first speak to him he usually replies with like 'Whatever you need me to do, I'm ready anytime, so don't be afraid to rely on me' kinda deal. He's literally in his own way saying, you've earned my acknowledgement, your my captain, command me as you wish; which is a big flip compared to the start where he wont even acknowledge you more so even think of taking orders from you. Which is why he'll always be my Mabi bae :D
    SherriKingEphyPrezzix
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    I love Dai, when everyone else was mean to me, Dai was always a happy bouncing baby boy for me. (Literally, his character bounces a little.) And just look at his cute little face, though! How can you not go "aww" at that smile? I don't really do squire stuff but he makes me happy.

Dai's my Guy.