Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Why do people constantly insist that mabi is dying

Comments

• ZairakZairak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    edited December 29, 2017
    This is nothing new, and I do not mean that just in the sense of online games.

No, it is nothing new to human society in general. The sentiment is, perhaps, as old as language itself is. For instance...

"Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions." Ecclesiastes 7:10, purportedly per King Solomon, the book of Ecclesiastes purportedly being written circa 400 - 200 BCE.

So, yeah.

People have, quite literally, been complaining about the good old days for thousands of years. It is likely an inevitable consequence of a cycling population.
    PolicromaVeylaineBlissfulkillXiokunSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Zairak wrote: »
    This is nothing new, and I do not mean that just in the sense of online games.

No, it is nothing new to human society in general. The sentiment is, perhaps, as old as language itself is. For instance...

"Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions." Ecclesiastes 7:10, purportedly per King Solomon, the book of Ecclesiastes purportedly being written circa 400 - 200 BCE.

So, yeah.

People have, quite literally, been complaining about the good old days for thousands of years. It is likely an inevitable consequence of a cycling population.

I personally prefer song of solomon, much more entertaining. :trollface:
    Zairak
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    If you look at the steam chart activity, the average players online is 510 for the last 30 days, aside from september this year the last time that number was as high was in 2014. Yes we did just get a new talent but overall the numbers have been going up since 2015 on average, with a fairly high peak right now. Gachapons have been getting better (less gear and enchants being spit out and more fashion) and for me and a lot of my friends the severs have been less laggy too anecdotal yes but figured it was worth including. Note, the active players on steam doesn't include people playing who use the nexon launcher, so that number is most likely even higher.

Stop using steam those numbers will never count in MMO games and because of Steam developers in US Nexon are losing X% of the money. TIME TO STOP!
    Pip-Boy
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    Let me quote a random passersby in the game:
    this game is as wide as the ocean
    but shallow as a puddle

Darkpixie99Radiant DawnLostLinks[Deleted User]VeylaineSherri
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Game's fine most of the time i still can't find a place to set up a shop.
    and kiosks slots are usually always 100% taken too.
    Beside even if the game populations is low doesn't mean you won't have anyone to play with.
    If anything it will do the opposite bring people closer together. And if those people are jerks they'll
    learn fast that no one wants to play with them, ending up with them quitting or being by themselves.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    watercat0 wrote: »
    Stop using steam those numbers will never count in MMO games and because of Steam developers in US Nexon are losing X% of the money. TIME TO STOP!

Want to try using Google Translate for that?
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    watercat0 wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    If you look at the steam chart activity, the average players online is 510 for the last 30 days, aside from september this year the last time that number was as high was in 2014. Yes we did just get a new talent but overall the numbers have been going up since 2015 on average, with a fairly high peak right now. Gachapons have been getting better (less gear and enchants being spit out and more fashion) and for me and a lot of my friends the severs have been less laggy too anecdotal yes but figured it was worth including. Note, the active players on steam doesn't include people playing who use the nexon launcher, so that number is most likely even higher.

the steam population still exists whether you like it or not, and the point of the post appears to be about player population more then money. nexon is to blame for most mabi players in the US that choose to use steam anyway since they took down the direct launch. money is a important factor to keeping any mmo running however it is not the only reason mabi has a low population. mabi needs more advertising to attract more players and if a few extra people see mabi on steam and decide to join then it is good mabi is still on steam if we have around 510 extra players because of it. would also help make money if we had outfit bags back or updated VIP, gacha is not the only way they could make money.
    badnewsbarrettpawcalypseDrognakSherri
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    I think people tend to overuse the word "dying" to equal "boring" instead. As in, people are bored of Mabi so it seems dead, because they're either AFKing or just not signing in at all for the time being.

Here's to hoping the new year will bring in good events to bring people back.
    pawcalypseJazmyn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I think people tend to overuse the word "dying" to equal "boring" instead. As in, people are bored of Mabi so it seems dead, because they're either AFKing or just not signing in at all for the time being.

I mean they make some tweaks to "new" events, but basically it's an alteration or copy of a previous event. All I can see them doing is giving out better rewards, but as far as I can see they have ruined rewards by giving them abysmal drop rates and/or making them expirable. Honestly because of that I haven't participated in a lot events in the last few months.
    badnewsbarrettpawcalypse
  • HinotamaHinotama
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,420
    edited December 30, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    If we throw everyone together from all four servers into one server, ...everyone will be crying about lag and not being able to log in (because the server is full), on the forum. People will piss and moan because Ancients are impossible to find without having .."at least 28 channels like we have now"... ~ You know it. ~ We all know it. ~ Nexon knows it. ~ ! ! ~ Some people want the game to die (I certainly don't) ..., they also want you and me to die and their family to die and their neighbors to die, because they have serious issues and don't belong unsupervised. :trollface:

I'd like to have a chance to fight other people from different servers. Too bad there's no cross server lobbies or arenas in Mabinogi.

Ignore the fact that I quoted you. I meant to just do a normal post. Stupid phone.
    pawcalypse[Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Hinotama wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    If we throw everyone together from all four servers into one server, ...everyone will be crying about lag and not being able to log in (because the server is full), on the forum. People will piss and moan because Ancients are impossible to find without having .."at least 28 channels like we have now"... ~ You know it. ~ We all know it. ~ Nexon knows it. ~ ! ! ~ Some people want the game to die (I certainly don't) ..., they also want you and me to die and their family to die and their neighbors to die, because they have serious issues and don't belong unsupervised. :trollface:

I'd like to have a chance to fight other people from different servers. Too bad there's no cross server lobbies or arenas in Mabinogi.

Ignore the fact that I quoted you. I meant to just do a normal post. Stupid phone.

Here I will take care of that for you.

tumblr_lqujqiurYs1qgao8zo1_400.gif
    Radiant Dawn
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Gaea wrote: »

I mean they make some tweaks to "new" events, but basically it's an alteration or copy of a previous event. All I can see them doing is giving out better rewards, but as far as I can see they have ruined rewards by giving them abysmal drop rates and/or making them expirable. Honestly because of that I haven't participated in a lot events in the last few months.

I definitely agree with you. I mostly play for events, but I've hardly gotten on in months. I did do some Chain Slash, but I got bored grinding skills after I finished the storyline, so, meh.

I mean, I really do hope we get actual new events next year, but if not, then yeah, the way new prizes drop needs to be fixed.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Gaea wrote: »

I definitely agree with you. I mostly play for events, but I've hardly gotten on in months. I did do some Chain Slash, but I got bored grinding skills after I finished the storyline, so, meh.

I mean, I really do hope we get actual new events next year, but if not, then yeah, the way new prizes drop needs to be fixed.

And not expirable.
    badnewsbarrettSherri
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    People keep thinking Mabi is 'dying' because they don't want to let the 'dying' meme, well die. I joined in 2011 and people have been saying the game is dead since then. It's honestly just a meme.
    GretapawcalypseVeylaineSherri
  • EnaEna
    Mabinogi Rep: 705
    edited January 1, 2018
    i am not sure this time. mabinogi vs mabinogi mobile
    the later have treat in any way. more target, easy maint easy make money , and etc
    if players in korea and japan move to mabi mobile, there is no point to keep update old mabi
    if it happen that would be so sad. this last game i play and will stay til end e.e
  • Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    edited January 1, 2018
    Ena wrote: »
    i am not sure this time. mabinogi vs mabinogi mobile
    the later have treat in any way. more target, easy maint easy make money , and etc
    if players in korea and japan move to mabi mobile, there is no point to keep update old mabi
    if it happen that would be so sad. this last game i play and will stay til end e.e

Mabi is still very popular overseas. I don't think there's an issue with the mobile version diverting people away from the main game. The issue is that the game isn't that popular in the west. If anything's at risk of dying it's western mabi.
    pawcalypse
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    To me, dying indicates a lack of content. I must apologize, but I just don't see any content I want to do right now that I have yet to complete, other than "Solo black dragon" and other nonsense I have heard.
    Darkpixie99
  • qaccyqaccy
    Mabinogi Rep: 545
    Compare Mabi to MapleStory and try telling me that Mabi isn't dead. On its own, the game is certainly still kind of limping along and there are passionate players, but in terms of total bodycount you could stuff Mabi's entire active playerbase on probably one or two channels in Maple.

'Dead' is a relative term and kind of needs some sort of comparison to provide perspective. Mabi's obviously still being supported and has players so no, it's not actually 'dead' but compared to other MMOs even from this same company? Yeah, it's pretty dang close. It's certainly not as thriving here in NA compared to KR. But I imagine NA makes enough from gachapon sales to keep the lights on even though the game generally runs like crap and only gets worse when certain elements have to be translated over from Korean.
    pawcalypsePip-BoySherri
  • FirelinksFirelinks
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    The only reason this game is dead to me is the lack of east servers.

Its been years and I still have delay on every skills i use.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Eh. We're fine guys, it's all good. I don't see anything too major we need to worry about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ As long as my buddies still play Mabinogi and random people will still talk to me on the streets of Dunbarton, which they do, I think Mabinogi is still pretty good.
    pawcalypseVeylaineDrognakTheOthicSherri
This discussion has been closed.