Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The lootbox/Gacha problem

JulieJulie
Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
in Town Square

so what do you guys think will happen if this law happens to pass? do you guys think mabinogi will be able to adapt?

personally i don't think it matters to me since most of the games i care about can easily do small changes to keep moving forward.

Comments

• watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    they just add credit cards and be done with it, that is the only loophole i see.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    edited December 9, 2017
    i honestly don't see anything wrong with games having lootboxes, if a game has some stupid gambling system so be it, i just won't play it if it interferes with my enjoyment of the game AKA the nonsense going on with mabinogi's gachas lul

learned this the hard way, wish my parents were more educated regarding money and gambling but whatever lul, i think it's a positive experience overall

restrictive prohibitive laws would result in some stupid black market anyway like we have with drugs, don't need narcos on my videogames thank you
  • iMattxCiMattxC
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,075
    https://theintercept.com/2017/12/08/video-games-loot-boxes-gambling-gaming-star-wars-battlefront-2/
    Looks like lawmakers are going to attack your shady business practices nexon, hope you have a better strategy lined up. Needless to say I'm excited. Maybe you'll actually fix premium and VIP, since you removed stuff from it without ever actually adjusting the price.
  • JulieJulie
    iMattxC wrote: »
    https://theintercept.com/2017/12/08/video-games-loot-boxes-gambling-gaming-star-wars-battlefront-2/
    Looks like lawmakers are going to attack your shady business practices nexon, hope you have a better strategy lined up. Needless to say I'm excited. Maybe you'll actually fix premium and VIP, since you removed stuff from it without ever actually adjusting the price.

people actually like the rng stuff here, i remember how some defended reforges to the death, they like getting bent like that :D
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    I think I found an article by Polygon on this matter, and they said that according to their source, lootboxes are completely legal as they are an "optional" method in gaming.
    Unfortunately, this means that Mabinogi can continue to roll out gachapons as usual.
    However, it's always a smart idea to change up the Cash Shop after a few years to not only keep the UI looking modern, but to make the stock look more appealing.
    None of which Nexon NA has done as of yet, aside from the launcher update.
  • JulieJulie
    I think I found an article by Polygon on this matter, and they said that according to their source, lootboxes are completely legal as they are an "optional" method in gaming.
    Unfortunately, this means that Mabinogi can continue to roll out gachapons as usual.
    However, it's always a smart idea to change up the Cash Shop after a few years to not only keep the UI looking modern, but to make the stock look more appealing.
    None of which Nexon NA has done as of yet, aside from the launcher update.

how long ago was this? because thats not what the new law being proposed is going to be ok with if they can be purchased with rl cash
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    iMattxC wrote: »

if nexon can't sell gachas anymore they might do more then just fix premium and vip. we are way behind Korea on a vip update that they should release to the NA servers and it would make them a lot more money if they did. the premium and vip we have now is outdated crap compared to the vip mabi Korea has now. even mabi Japan has the updated vip services which means KR mabi probably just likes laughing at us.
  • XxBearslayerxXXxBearslayerxX
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    Hmm, to be honest. I wouldn't mind gachas being kept in Mabi. Now if Nexon pulled and EA, I would have a problem.
  • JulieJulie
    Hmm, to be honest. I wouldn't mind gachas being kept in Mabi. Now if Nexon pulled and EA, I would have a problem.

in a way they already did

looks at reforges
    iMattxC
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855

look at our current event this is gactha but free, you only get a chance at chainblade item.
    Julie wrote: »

looks at reforges

You don't need reforges to have max damage output. I mean by the time you reach end game you can kill most things with one to three hits with the exception of bosses.
    Greta
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145

don't worry they won't pull an EA, for that they'd need the IP for a franchise people care about, something like mabinogi is whatever, nobody cares enough to start controversy over a game like this

if nexon literally made battlefront 2 without the swbf2 IP nobody would care
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    edited December 13, 2017
    Loot boxes are not a problem because it's completely up to the player to choose to buy them. If you spend all your money on something then that is completely your fault and should learn something called 'self control'. If you can't control yourselves when purchasing something in video game, then you have a problem. The company shouldn't have to suffer because of people not knowing when to stop.

Next thing you know people are going to want to stop the sale of trading care games because that is RNG also. "Wah I blew all my money and didnt get a charizard, better blame the company and not my uncontrolling self"

You have been Gachaing your whole like. Pokemon/YUGIOH/MTG/blindbags. ALl of those are RNG base, allof those gacha.
    GretaXxBearslayerxXTheNyanCatJazmyn
  • JulieJulie
    Julie wrote: »

looks at reforges

You don't need reforges to have max damage output. I mean by the time you reach end game you can kill most things with one to three hits with the exception of bosses.
    its still p2w much like what you would find in battlefront 2
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Loot boxes are not a problem because it's completely up to the player to choose to buy them. If you spend all your money on something then that is completely your fault and should learn something called 'self control'. If you can't control yourselves when purchasing something in video game, then you have a problem. The company shouldn't have to suffer because of people not knowing when to stop.

Next thing you know people are going to want to stop the sale of trading care games because that is RNG also. "Wah I blew all my money and didnt get a charizard, better blame the company and not my uncontrolling self"

You have been Gachaing your whole like. Pokemon/YUGIOH/MTG/blindbags. ALl of those are RNG base, allof those gacha.

sure i dont think it would be much of a problem though even if this law passes as long as the game is for 21+ :)

people are reacting to this now because it started appearing on very mainstream games that costed a full price of $60, theyre not as much as against it because they want to protect the children, theyre against them because it will force publishers to remove them if they want their games to be sold to a young audience.

the ESRB also refuses to classify them as gambling (and theyre kind of in hot water too after screwing indie devs over with their new policies that makes indie devs pay too much to have their physical games rated recently)
    edited December 14, 2017
    Can we all remember that EA made loot boxes part of the progression system in SWBFII(Awful game of the year)

The difference between that and Mabinogi is, buying gacha's and reforges is completely optional and doesn't really have an effect on how you play the game.
    Some people buy a crap ton of Gachas usually because they have disposable income.

I do agree that reforges are P2W but really after you max stat none of it matters especially when you take Echo Stones and the Moon Blessings into consideration which further boosts your stats.
    Though with the case of reforges, you know what you are buying. In how they work, they are comparable to loot boxes. But you don't have to use them and you can buy them from other players with in-game currency.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    Mabinogi Rep: 120
    FayeKaiba wrote: »

Loot Boxes are a problem because it takes advantage of the type of people who don't have this self-control you speak of. You may say, well it's their fault, and you are indeed right. But that doesn't make it ok for the company to do that. Why do you think there are laws when it comes to gambling? Then you also have to consider kids play these games, not just adults. Are you seriously telling kids to have self-control? Does this game teach self-control?

Telling people they have a problem because they can't control themselves from purchasing is honestly silly because that is the point. A person who does have control would take one look at these gacha, seeing how you can spend 100s and not even get the thing you wanted, and just not buy it. Yet, Nexon is making plenty of money because they bank on the people who don't. Do you think it's ok to take advantage of other peoples weaknesses to make money? You think that is a legitimate business practice that should be seen as ok?

Yes, the company should have to suffer because they are the ones who are knowingly taking advantage of those who don't have this control. If they were not, then there is no good reason for the system at all. The whole point is to make it so people continually spend money till they get what they want, and I am sorry, that is just a terrible business model when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Now don't get me wrong, I think it's fine to have loot boxes, but I don't think it's fine to advertise what you can get in those loot boxes, and then make the odds of getting those things incredibly low. Odds should also be disclosed to the purchaser at the very least. Apple just made a new guideline in their app store that now requires odds to be disclosed, and I imagine this year is going to be a big change in the industry when it comes to loot boxes. I am really curious what Nexon is going to do. We will see.

The trading card game argument isn't very good, mainly because you can just go to specialty shops to get the exact card you want. You don't have to go with RNG.
    To a degree the same applies to Mabi, you can buy stuff in the game using gold. The issue is, in order to get enough gold to afford anything requires you to essentially buy gacha or to spend a lot of money on other items to sell. More often than not, never is worth the amount you pay. You could also just spend a lot of time grinding, but we are talking spending possibly weeks and months just to be able to afford what you want.

Also .. people don't tend to be as invested in trading cards as online games. A trading card game doesn't really entice you at any point to continually buy more., not unless you are heavily into the game like tournaments and stuff, or being a major collector. But again, if you are you likely will be going to specialty shops, not buying card packs.
    LiberateNifanity
  • TeriustheGreatTeriustheGreat
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,985
    Julie buys gachas in every game she plays because she's a pay2win scrubnub
    Greta
  • JulieJulie
    Julie buys gachas in every game she plays because she's a pay2win scrubnub

no i dont
  • lethalviruslethalvirus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,720
    Julie always show off all the lootboxes she has bought on need for speed