Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New player in need of advice

SwordsaintXSwordsaintX
Mabinogi Rep: 470
edited January 10, 2018 in Help
How do you make gold in this game aside from questing? I'm trying to get a high level of composing / music knowledge and the books alone cost millions. I have 60k so far... I'm looking for any tips to help me get started. Thanks.

Comments

• VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited January 10, 2018
    I'm gonna leave this here I think its a good starting point then you could branch off to harder means
    Untitled.png
    EDIT: you can get red gems by killing white spiders or hitting props, things like street lamps or signs. the mobs should be really weak for you to kill them and if you're using bard lullaby is your best friend.

other than that theres HW selling ( getting to use multiple characters to farm the ptj) but its very long process and usually the market is pretty competitive.( I don't really recommend this one but if you don't want combat I guess go with it. )

I can't think of anything else to help a new player other than to join a guild and quest with them. Hope something I mentioned could be of use to you.
    SwordsaintX[Deleted User]
  • SwordsaintXSwordsaintX
    Veylaine wrote: »
    I'm gonna leave this here I think its a good starting point then you could branch off to harder means
    Untitled.png
    EDIT: you can get red gems by killing white spiders or hitting props, things like street lamps or signs. the mobs should be really weak for you to kill them and if you're using bard lullaby is your best friend.

other than that theres HW selling ( getting to use multiple characters to farm the ptj) but its very long process and usually the market is pretty competitive.( I don't really recommend this one but if you don't want combat I guess go with it. )

I can't think of anything else to help a new player other than to join a guild and quest with them. Hope something I mentioned could be of use to you.

I appreciate the help but the skeletons aren't spawning in the dungeon. It's just white spiders and such. I used the small red gem to open the dungeon.
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Untitled.png

I appreciate the help but the skeletons aren't spawning in the dungeon. It's just white spiders and such. I used the small red gem to open the dungeon.

Are you dropping it at "Albey" dungeon which is in Another World or "Alby" dungeon which is in Tir Chonnail.

The red gem is for the Another World's "Albey" dungeon.
    If you don't know about Albey/Another World yet, you'll have to progress through Generation 1: Advent of the Goddess until you can get there.
    VeylaineSwordsaintXpawcalypse[Deleted User]
  • SwordsaintXSwordsaintX
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Untitled.png

Are you dropping it at "Albey" dungeon which is in Another World or "Alby" dungeon which is in Tir Chonnail.

If you don't know about Albey/Another World yet, you'll have to progress through Generation 1: Advent of the Goddess until you can get there.

Never heard of Another world until now, I'll finish up the G1 quests. Thank you both.
    [Deleted User]
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited January 11, 2018
    Untitled.png

Never heard of Another world until now, I'll finish up the G1 quests. Thank you both.

Aw, you're referring to my post! =D

To confirm what others are saying and elaborate a bit further, Albey is a different dungeon that's originally accessible as part of the G1 storyline through Barri with a special pass from Kristell. If you have a Warp Imp, you can save the location in the dungeon lobby or just hoard some red gems and then go via Barri (you should be able to get passes from Kristell post G1; I think you get them with a keyword) with the special pass to the "Another World". Albey Red can be spammed for Skeletons, Red Skeletons, Metal Skeletons and Mimics for their lucrative and respective Fomor scrolls. When you enter the dungeon it should have a reddish tint to the walls, so make sure this is true, otherwise you might not be in the proper dungeon.

Hope this clears up some confusion!
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Leinei wrote: »
    Untitled.png

Aw, you're referring to my post! =D

To confirm what others are saying and elaborate a bit further, Albey is a different dungeon that's originally accessible as part of the G1 storyline through Barri with a special pass from Gilmore. If you have a Warp Imp, you can save the location in the dungeon lobby or just hoard some red gems and then go via Barri (you should be able to get passes from Gilmore post G1; I think you get them with a keyword) with the special pass to the "Another World". Albey Red can be spammed for Skeletons, Red Skeletons, Metal Skeletons and Mimics for their lucrative and respective Fomor scrolls. When you enter the dungeon it should have a reddish tint to the walls, so make sure this is true, otherwise you might not be in the proper dungeon.

Hope this clears up some confusion!

One small correction is that, post G1, if you want to get another pass to Another World, the Pass isn't from Gilmore via Keyword.
    It's from Kristell, the priestess at the church in Dunbarton, via Keyword "How to Reach Tir Na Nog".
    For her to give you the pass, you must be over current level 25 and wearing a title like "Bear Slayer with a Single Blow/Bare Hands", "Golem Slayer", "Ogre Slayer". (but not Succubus Slayer)
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    One small correction is that, post G1, if you want to get another pass to Another World, the Pass isn't from Gilmore via Keyword.
    It's from Kristell, the priestess at the church in Dunbarton, via Keyword "How to Reach Tir Na Nog".
    For her to give you the pass, you must be over current level 25 and wearing a title like "Bear Slayer with a Single Blow/Bare Hands", "Golem Slayer", "Ogre Slayer". (but not Succubus Slayer)

Oops! My bad! Which one am I thinking of? Is that for G3?
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Wait, I don't understand why the thread is going in this direction.
    I'm trying to get a high level of composing / music knowledge and the books alone cost millions.

Dunno about you guys, but I didn't spend millions of gold on either skill, that's about an order of magnitude too high.
    The most expensive part would be ranks 5-3 Composing - Yvona's books will set you back 900k ducats, but
    1) those are ducats, not gold
    2) fomor scrolls aren't going to earn you any ducats, they're from commercing
    3) if you're earning ducats for these books, you'll be earning gold alongside them anyway

The only way I can imagine the other books costing millions is if you're buying them off other players instead of getting them yourself, which is also something that I don't understand - the methods are interesting and allow you to explore some of the rarely-visited parts of Mabi's world and gameplay.

By all means, please do complete G1 and farm skeletons and get a little stronger. If the goal is to earn enough ducats to get to r1 Composing, you're gonna need to beef up to start commercing and beating up bandits.

PS: Get the Soundbox book from Barri, fishing it up is close to impossible
    PPS: If you need bottles or handbells for the rank 7 musical knowledge quest, I lend them out. Ping me if you're on Alexina.
    [Deleted User]
  • SwordsaintXSwordsaintX
    Eralea wrote: »
    Wait, I don't understand why the thread is going in this direction.
    I'm trying to get a high level of composing / music knowledge and the books alone cost millions.

Dunno about you guys, but I didn't spend millions of gold on either skill, that's about an order of magnitude too high.
    The most expensive part would be ranks 5-3 Composing - Yvona's books will set you back 900k ducats, but
    1) those are ducats, not gold
    2) fomor scrolls aren't going to earn you any ducats, they're from commercing
    3) if you're earning ducats for these books, you'll be earning gold alongside them anyway

The only way I can imagine the other books costing millions is if you're buying them off other players instead of getting them yourself, which is also something that I don't understand - the methods are interesting and allow you to explore some of the rarely-visited parts of Mabi's world and gameplay.

By all means, please do complete G1 and farm skeletons and get a little stronger. If the goal is to earn enough ducats to get to r1 Composing, you're gonna need to beef up to start commercing and beating up bandits.

PS: Get the Soundbox book from Barri, fishing it up is close to impossible
    PPS: If you need bottles or handbells for the rank 7 musical knowledge quest, I lend them out. Ping me if you're on Alexina.

I'm grateful to everyone that has contributed to this thread and helped me.

I don't know what the book prices should be, only what was quoted to me:
    The Innocence of the Lute - 1.5mil
    Instrumental Timbre - 3.5mil
    2 out of 9 books - 5mil.
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Omg those prices are shocking lol. That's only if you buy them from other players.

Innocence of the Lute comes from a dungeon. Run the dungeon enough times = free book.
    Composition at Rest comes from completing this collection journal. It costs 12,400 for the journal + the price of restoring artifacts, which isn't much.
    Instrumental Timbre comes from completing this collection journal. It costs 18,400 for the journal + the price of restoration.

If you really want to buy these books from other players, it's your choice in the end... but before you get ripped off, I'd like you to know that they actually cost practically nothing to obtain.

Actually, if you wanted to make money... completing these books and selling Instrumental Timbre for 3.5m is pretty easy profit LOL

Yaknow I'm going to start collecting artifacts again myself. Thanks for the idea lolol.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    2 out of 9 books - 5mil.
    If you’re on Alexina, those prices are way off. Instrumental Timbre is less than 1m, usually like 800k. There are only 2 skill books in Alexina which is more than 3m, and they are Soundbox and Meditation Intermediate. Innocence of The Lute is either 1m or less.
    [Deleted User]
  • SwordsaintXSwordsaintX
    ShouK wrote: »
    2 out of 9 books - 5mil.
    If you’re on Alexina, those prices are way off. Instrumental Timbre is less than 1m, usually like 800k. There are only 2 skill books in Alexina which is more than 3m, and they are Soundbox and Meditation Intermediate. Innocence of The Lute is either 1m or less.

Who is selling Timbre for 800k?

@Eralea - Thank you for the help. I have never done this collection stuff but I'll definitely look into it.
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Oh no... there goes my dreams of 3.5m book sales lol

800k is still a pretty good amount of cash for a relatively safe sidequest though. I remember doing it as a newbie because I wasn't strong enough to do much combat, and turning the leftover artifacts in to Voight gave exploration exp and gold. And I did journal #10 for the title because I love wearing rare titles. Never thought to farm the rewards for resale.

Here's a full list of artifacts and where to find them: https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Courcle_Artifacts

Some of the artifacts are used to start G7, and some are used to get new skills (the orbs, for magic shields and wind guard).

If you wanna do the collection books, consider doing #13 and #14 too - #14 for the Musical Knowledge book, and #13 because that disinfectant also sells for a ton... I heard there was one priced at 1.5m the other day.
    [Deleted User]
  • ShouKShouK
    Belvast sellers.
    [Deleted User]
  • ChickendChickend
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    I always hated grinding Karu Dungeon for Innocence of the Lute, I would rather buy it. A 5 floor dungeon and a poor chance of drop is not for me. Props to anyone who does it constantly, I just get burnt from doing it once.
    [Deleted User]
  • SwordsaintXSwordsaintX
    edited January 16, 2018
    ShouK wrote: »
    Belvast sellers.

Nobody is selling it for 800k. I've checked everyday and the lowest is 3mil.
    If you personally know somebody that sells it for that much, I'll happily buy it from them.
    [Deleted User]
  • ShouKShouK
    Nobody is selling it for 800k. I've checked everyday and the lowest is 3mil.
    If you personally know somebody that sells it for that much, I'll happily buy it from them.
    Just put up a party ad if you can't find one in Belvast. That one is usually easier to buy with party ad. Innocence of the Lute on the other hand, is more rare, you have to be patient if you don't want to overpay. Unless you got lucky and have someone mailed you within just a day of advertising..
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Of course there's a time cost lol. But tbh I didn't really think of it as one because I do like the excavation/restoration side game. It's like a more immersive version of some treasure-hunting apps I used to play (though admittedly most of them are gone now - maybe I'm the odd one and people find them more boring than fun kek).

More importantly, it's a shame to quote an exorbitant price to someone without telling them how to get the book by playing the game.

If they've given it a shot and decide they're too bored/impatient/lazy/unlucky to continue with it, then sure, save up money to buy it off players. But I think it's a bit silly to go straight to the market without trying it at all - you might get lucky. (I told a couple of dungeon-runner buddies that I had been fishing overnight for over 6 months and they said I could be their third player in Barri until the book dropped for me. The agreement didn't last long - it dropped on our first run. I may have a warped perception of this book.)
    [Deleted User]