Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

PSA: Investigative Report

ApologistApologist
Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
Posts: 52
Member
edited January 18, 2018 in General Chat
A few friends of mine investigated why gold bots are selling premium cash shop goods for such low low prices. They found that the money spent is stolen credits and identity. So the basic layout of the game is as follow:

1.) steal identity/creds
2.) Use it on Cash shop
3.) Sell it cheap to the players
4.) Flip the gold on gold buyers
5.) Profit

This ultimately only works if the community feeds their shenanigans. The moral duty of the Mabi community is to stop supporting gold buyers/bots. Last but not least...who's identity/creds are stolen? Majority of them comes from gold buyers who visits the sites and spend $$$. Everytime you shop @ one you're supporting a crime.

giphy.gif
  1. With this knowlede I'll...27 votes
    1. Still keep supporting them. Idc. They feed me pixels.
       22% (6 votes)
    2. Stop and think twice about it & no longer shop there.
       11% (3 votes)
    3. continue to be an upstanding citizen. Never cared about bots nor bought anything from them.
       67% (18 votes)

Comments

  • XypixXypix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,890
    Posts: 63
    Member
    edited January 18, 2018
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and request evidence. I mean it makes sense, but I want some proof here... You say you investigated this, yet you show no results from your investigation.
    You're either
    A: Lying for some reason.
    B: Simply forgetting to include evidence here
    C: Not putting evidence here cause rules and stuff.

    Add me on Discord, if you got actual evidence. Otherwise, I'm gonna call shenanigans on this.
    Xypix#0368
    VeylaineHellkaizerTrythisBuffalosUnisexSkaidrojumicourtneyyPip-BoyAzurexrinSherriand 3 others.
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    Posts: 199
    Member
    If people stop buying, they'll just lower prices even more until ppl buy
    VeylaineKirinosamaSherri
  • Pie5434Pie5434
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Posts: 48
    Member
    To be honest if this is true, the people who bought from them deserve it. Buying from a shady site and breaking ToS. I'd think people would do a background check on a random site before just buying things in general. But yea, this is plausible but needs proof.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Posts: 9,174
    Member
    I always thought it was some player with alts selling cash shop items to get gold. But with the influx of those alts on all servers...that's really REALLY bad and it makes perfect sense. Evidence or not. That's what bots do.

    I guess Nexon needs to start banning these shop owners now. Lest Nexon supports crime.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Posts: 1,499
    Member
    They are among us. Even if we know this...can't do anything about it really. Anomaly and stuff. Plus dis is da interweebz.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Posts: 1,066
    Member
    Your poll is biased, so I'm going to disregard that. I'm also jumping on the need proof train.
  • Bi1bo_BagginsBi1bo_Baggins
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Posts: 3
    Member
    I used to know people who buys gold. I'll break the silence as this is giving all gold sellers a bad rep(broad brush) in a way. Believe it or not a lot of gold seller are Ex-players trying to turn a profit before jumping ships. A few buddies had leftover NX stockpiled(in the 100k's) and hundreds of millions of gold on their char. They're looking for a conversion formula to carry their investment out of the game with them using Real world trading. I snooped around a lot back then when gold buying caused a huge scene back in the day as well. My buddies are all gone now so it wouldn't hurt to spill some beans.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Posts: 1,066
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    I used to know people who buys gold. I'll break the silence as this is giving all gold sellers a bad rep(broad brush) in a way. Believe it or not a lot of gold seller are Ex-players trying to turn a profit before jumping ships. A few buddies had leftover NX stockpiled(in the 100k's) and hundreds of millions of gold on their char. They're looking for a conversion formula to carry their investment out of the game with them using Real world trading. I snooped around a lot back then when gold buying caused a huge scene back in the day as well. My buddies are all gone now so it wouldn't hurt to spill some beans.

    This is kind of what I was going to say, none of the popular gold sites would be willing to ruin their reputation over that, and none of the players using it would want their reputation damaged either. When you're operating on trust it's the last thing you'd be willing to risk. Which is why I'd like proof of this "investigation" that was done, otherwise I'm going to dismiss it as generic FUD.

    wrote:
    Hitchens's razor is an epistemological razor asserting that the burden of proof regarding the truthfulness of a claim lies with the one who makes the claim, and if this burden is not met, the claim is unfounded, and its opponents need not argue further in order to dismiss it.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Posts: 1,499
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    @this rate...It'd be funny if this thread turn into sum gold buying supporter thread. Which is already against TOS. The Irony will be hilarious. :D
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Posts: 1,066
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    Rhey wrote: »
    @this rate...It'd be funny if this thread turn into sum gold buying supporter thread. Which is already against TOS. The Irony will be hilarious. :D
    I don't support real world trading at all, but when op is straight up calling people who buy reforges from those shops criminals, and is trying to start a witch hunt I'd like some proof as his "friends investigation" sounds like a load of crap without anything to back it up.
    Apologist wrote: »
    The moral duty of the Mabi community is to stop supporting gold buyers/bots. Everytime you shop @ one you're supporting a crime.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    Posts: 348
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    same I want evidence Ɱana#2345 ( Discord )
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Posts: 9,174
    Member
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Your poll is biased, so I'm going to disregard that. I'm also jumping on the need proof train.

    Going to miss those cheap reforges eh?
    Greta
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    Posts: 153
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    Gaea wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Your poll is biased, so I'm going to disregard that. I'm also jumping on the need proof train.

    Going to miss those cheap reforges eh?

    While I dont buy from them, I am a pedant and OP seems super confident in their claim so show us the proof otherwise /thread.
    Theres probably better ways to make profit from stolen credentials than reselling some stuff from an unpopular mmo

    So yeah @Apologist show us the money since you feel the need to add a condescending gif like that.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Posts: 9,174
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    Trythis wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Your poll is biased, so I'm going to disregard that. I'm also jumping on the need proof train.

    Going to miss those cheap reforges eh?

    While I dont buy from them, I am pedant and OP seems super confident in their claim so show us the proof otherwise /thread.

    So yeah @Apologist show us the money since you feel the need to add a condescending gif like that.

    No one is going to get any proof. If this being investigated at all, Nexon is going to be the only ones that would have it. I.e. charge backs from disputes filed from banks. I would hope Nexon is investigating this. I hope people who have had their identities compromised are smart enough to check on their accounts to check for any fraud. I hope that Nexon experiences enough charge backs from users like this to start banning them.
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    Posts: 153
    Member
    edited January 19, 2018
    @Gaea im talking about @Apologist because I highly doubt they are a professional so they aren't bound by protocols they can simply provide the proof with all the confidential info blacked out.

    Nexon doing an investigation is a separate matter unless OP is doing it with them.
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    Posts: 153
    Member
    @Gaea also if @Apologist they were doing a professional investigation they wouldnt broadcast like this.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Posts: 1,066
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Your poll is biased, so I'm going to disregard that. I'm also jumping on the need proof train.

    Going to miss those cheap reforges eh?

    Not really. I don't buy from those stores anyway but it's nice of you to assume I do. There's plenty of other things that could be going on rather than people having their identities stolen for GP in a relatively obscure MMO. Just a quick idea would be people cashing out steam marketplace goods, while against ToS and probably risky it's more sound than what op is suggesting.
    TrythisUnisexVeylaineAzurexrinSherrioffwithyourheads
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    Apologist wrote: »
    They found that the money spent is stolen credits and identity.
    Somewhat doubt that you guys managed to get into whatever finical logs needed to confirm that claim by legal means. You probably shouldn't be digging yourself into a hole, or stop lying. Your choice.
    TheOthicPip-BoyVeylaine
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Posts: 6,975
    Member
    Just gonna leave it here...

    yNiBv8S.gif

    This gif is my tradition. :trollface:
    BuffalosVeylaineTheOthicpawcalypseSherri
  • SkaidrojumiSkaidrojumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,620
    Posts: 92
    Member
    Apologist wrote: »
    Everytime you shop @ one you're supporting a crime.

    I agree that credit card fraud is the likely case of most of these sellers. However, it is not the responsibility of Mabi players to determine these cases and actually avoid buying from alt accounts. Someone will always buy, and if they don't they'll use this fraud elsewhere.

    Credit companies work with fraudulent cases like these and reimburse customers with lost funds, it's their job, not the job of Mabi players.

    No one is supporting crimes if they buy from these. The only guilty ones are the sellers.
This discussion has been closed.