Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Incentivize Solo Play

MeonketerMeonketer
Mabinogi Rep: 835
in Feedback and Suggestions
Currently, there are very few incentives to clear content alone. It can be argued that soloing content allows you to get all the gold drops (going to use shadow wizard as an example). Shadow wizard HM solo clear takes me ~10-12 minutes, and I get about 200k from the run with a 240% crystal. A party clearing shadow wizard takes ~2 minutes or less, and gives you at minimum 87k gold with a 240% crystal. Parties are able to run 5-6 times as many runs as I can, and thereby end up with more gold. The argument can be made that I should just find a party, but on less populated servers, or at odd times of day, this can be unfeasible. If instead, shadow wizard gave 204, 800 gold (25,600 * 8) and it was split between party members, it would reward solo players/smaller parties able to clear quickly, and let them match/exceed full parties. Similarly with dungeons, soloing doesn't give enough benefit (with one arguable exception). The only dungeon that rewards solo players is alby advanced, which gives a solo player Arachne for the boss, and 8 potential chests. All other dungeons and difficulties (that I am aware of) only give a solo player one chest. If instead, a dungeon generated 4 chests, and split keys between the party, solo players would be rewarded for their ability to clear content alone. I wish to see this in game to reduce the use of alternate characters to give benefits to players, as well as incentivize stronger players able to clear content on their own, or those unable to find parties. With parties of 3 (or 5/7 for shadow wizard and other missions) the extra key could be either randomly distributed to a party member, or given to the party leader to hand out. Some re-balancing of numbers may be required were this to be implemented.
  1. What are your thoughts?14 votes
    1. I would like to see this in game.
       50% (7 votes)
    2. I would rather things remain as they are.
       43% (6 votes)
    3. I have a more detailed opinion posted below.
       7% (1 vote)

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited January 22, 2018
    Solo play is already incentevized. One just has to be strong enough to reap the benefits. If anything, there's too many reasons to play solonogi than to team up.

If anything, combat strength needs to revisited in general to be more dependent on skill than numbers, but the basis is still the same. Players are too strong to the point where party play is considered not viable due to the time finding people, and being much slower for less gain.

We don't need more reasons for solonogi. We need far less. As an MMO, the fact we need to make people want to play together other than being simply able to is a great failure.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Solo play is already incentevized. One just has to be strong enough to reap the benefits. If anything, there's too many reasons to play solonogi than to team up.
    Crusader skills says hi
  • MeonketerMeonketer

If anything, combat strength needs to revisited in general to be more dependent on skill than numbers, but the basis is still the same. Players are too strong to the point where party play is considered not viable due to the time finding people, and being much slower for less gain.

We don't need more reasons for solonogi. We need far less. As an MMO, the fact we need to make people want to play together other than being simply able to is a great failure.

I am not sure about your experiences with the newer dungeons (Phantasm and Memento), but in my experience most people still do not run them. There are a few people who spam the dungeons, but besides that I don't see people even attempting to find parties for the content. Unless everyone happens to be soloing, which I am doubtful of, then the content is still considered "too hard" to casually run for the majority of players. Being strong does not increase the benefits of running content solo, it just reduces the losses.
    NewbieChain
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    No. The economy is already broken enough from the people who multi-client wizard by themselves. I agree that finding parties can be a pain, but increasing solo rewards is not the way to go about it.
    Greta
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    ShouK wrote: »
    Crusader skills says hi

I am unclear as to the point of this. A majority of content is soloed for a mixture of exp, gold, or the idea of keys slowing people down, as well as people....being people.
    Meonketer wrote: »

I am not sure about your experiences with the newer dungeons (Phantasm and Memento), but in my experience most people still do not run them. There are a few people who spam the dungeons, but besides that I don't see people even attempting to find parties for the content. Unless everyone happens to be soloing, which I am doubtful of, then the content is still considered "too hard" to casually run for the majority of players. Being strong does not increase the benefits of running content solo, it just reduces the losses.

There are solo benefits, but one must be strong enough to run them. I do think that dungeons like Memento and Phantasm need to be incentivized in of themselves, and not on a solo team basis. Many people just aren't interested, and they don't make up a majority of content either, much of which is geared towards greater benefits.
  • MeonketerMeonketer

There are solo benefits, but one must be strong enough to run them. I do think that dungeons like Memento and Phantasm need to be incentivized in of themselves, and not on a solo team basis. Many people just aren't interested, and they don't make up a majority of content either, much of which is geared towards greater benefits.

Please expand upon what solo benefits there are, if you can. I haven't been able to think of any, so if there are some I would love to understand them.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    More soloing options for Mainstream stuff would be nice (like CPU allies in the Three Warriors RP dungeons).
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited January 23, 2018
    LMAO :D
    Mabinogi is already Solonogi
    Nexon tries to make party content but ends up being solo'd anyway like with phantasm and sidhe
    Girg is the only non soloable content

Also there's a reason why Conflict is nerfed. Too much "solo" benefits
    Greta
  • MeonketerMeonketer
    Neither Phantasm nor Sidhe were designed as party content. There isn't a minimum party requirement as there is with lord missions or provocation. Provo was clearly designed as party content due to the splitting of players to clear waves. Nothing about Phantasm or Sidhe require a party, besides "difficulty". Conflict is also party limited. :P Girg is a good example of content that was designed not to be soloed, and is obviously not meant to be soloed.
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    edited January 24, 2018
    Meonketer wrote: »
    snip
    Just because some laws can be circumvented with loopholes doesn't automatically imply they were designed to have them. It is possible to solo phantasm with enough dedication and p2w, but that doesn't have to be how it was originally designed. In fact, given how so many things you abuse in normal content to drastically decrease difficulty do NOT work in phantasm, I am fairly sure it was meant to have more of a party focus than any of the dungeons before it.

You can argue that nothing requires a party aside from girgashiy simply because it is possible to solo it and that most skillsets (or even most skills themselves) do not benefit from working together in a party, but then that would also only support the argument that solonogi has long since taken over and there is no need to further incentivize it.
  • FinityFinity
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    I wish I can get 4 keys and 4 box all to myself for soloing in advanced hardmode dungeons(8 for AAHM) and Phantasm because it hurts to pay for the pass and waste 30~40min to only open 1 box that has abysmal low droprate. Spliting the pass fee? No one wants to do that.
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    Finity wrote: »
    I wish I can get 4 keys and 4 box all to myself for soloing in advanced hardmode dungeons(8 for AAHM) and Phantasm because it hurts to pay for the pass and waste 30~40min to only open 1 box that has abysmal low droprate. Spliting the pass fee? No one wants to do that.

The pros all use alts so they get all the rewards for the group
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    What this game actually needs is a better party finder, more incentives for doing otherwise niche content, and allowing that content to be entered into more easily so that getting parties would be easier. Also more Apostle raids and removing dungeon pass timers...not directly related but it would make content more fun. There really isn't a lot of reason that an MMO should be trying to get you to play by yourself, that's what single player games are for.
  • FinityFinity
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    edited January 28, 2018
    lceCream wrote: »
    Finity wrote: »

The pros all use alts so they get all the rewards for the group

I know this and I can totally understand why.