Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Bitdefender thinks the mabi patch is a virus

AgentJeanAgentJean
Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
in Technical Support
Just tried to play mabi and when the launcher downloads today's patch my Bitdefender goes nuts and won't allow the update to install.

I get this message from BD

Nexon\Library\Mabinogi\appdata\Client.exe.bak is infected with Gen:Variant.Symmi.82863. The virus has been successfully blocked and your PC is now safe. A reboot is required to complete the cleaning process.

Any idea how to work around this issue other than kick Bitdefender to the curb along side Kaspersky?

Comments

• terrybessterrybess
    Mabinogi Rep: 695
    yeah i'm getting that too
    [Deleted User]
  • terrybessterrybess
    any game files can be hacked into having a virus by a hacker. it is possible without nexon doing it themselves
    [Deleted User]
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Completely Uninstalling and then reinstalling mabi(via Launcher) got me up and running. Of course redownloading over 7GB of data to fix this is not an acceptable solution in my book.

I blame Bitdefnder. It loves to destroy my computer(s) and give completely different scan results on different computers even though they are running the exact same OS and same software with 1 computer considering it offending software while the other 2 computers say it's completely safe.
    [Deleted User]
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Someone asked about this on the Korea site too, but no one answered. ~ My guess is a false positive, but the choice to play is yours. You can either believe the company would not infect you intentionally with a virus and continue playing, or the absolute opposite and discontinue playing until it's been officially addressed by the company. I just wiped out my system a day ago, so I'm not too worried about it either way, but I will pass this on to some higher eyes. @Katherz might find this to be interesting.

http://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/community/free_view.asp?id=7372&category=0

Problem is, Bitdefender doesn't give you a Pause" option like some other AV software do. Only way to disable Bitdefender is to uninstall it.
    And there is still the problem of Bitdefender erasing the "non-so-offending" file after you reinstall BD.
  • terrybessterrybess
    AgentJean wrote: »
    Completely Uninstalling and then reinstalling mabi(via Launcher) got me up and running. Of course redownloading over 7GB of data to fix this is not an acceptable solution in my book.

I blame Bitdefnder. It loves to destroy my computer(s) and give completely different scan results on different computers even though they are running the exact same OS and same software with 1 computer considering it offending software while the other 2 computers say it's completely safe.

yeah thats what i'm trying

terrybess wrote: »
    any game files can be hacked into having a virus by a hacker. it is possible without nexon doing it themselves
    I'm aware of the possibilities and what can or cannot be done. It's pretty hard to inject a virus into someone else's machine, but it's not impossible. It's best not to draw conclusions we can't escape from later.

you're the one who said it was either no virus or nexon putting a virus in intentionally originally lol
  • terrybessterrybess

yeah thats what i'm trying

I'm aware of the possibilities and what can or cannot be done. It's pretty hard to inject a virus into someone else's machine, but it's not impossible. It's best not to draw conclusions we can't escape from later.

you're the one who said it was either no virus or nexon putting a virus in intentionally originally lol
    I didn't say any such thing. You're misinterpreting me. I simply said the choice is yours. You can either believe it's an intentional act and stop playing or believe it's a false positive and go about your way. ~ I remember you Terry. ~ Did you shave that bush off your face yet?

wait what? who are you? no random guy says that to me
    [Deleted User]
  • terrybessterrybess
    We were in the same group on FB for..... awhile ... -- I'm no random ... Terry .. :)

I deleted my FB forever ... because ... drama kills ... :|

oh that. you confused me because you said something only people in real life said about me. also i still don't know who you are lol
    [Deleted User]
  • terrybessterrybess
    We were in the same group on FB for..... awhile ... -- I'm no random ... Terry .. :)

I deleted my FB forever ... because ... drama kills ... :|

also if you look at my fb pic it's from 4 years ago i think
    [Deleted User]
  • terrybessterrybess
    hm still don't recognize you sorry
    [Deleted User]
  • terrybessterrybess

that didn't work for me though
  • terrybessterrybess
    i'm not gonna talk about him
    [Deleted User]
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    edited January 26, 2018

When you uninstalled did you completely delete the Mabi folder or were files still left over?

At this point I would try uninstalling Bit Defender, verify the mabi files / install the the patch. If that works reinstall Bitdefender and hope it doesn't delete necessary files.

I hate bitdefender. If Kasperky wasn't KGB spyware I would still be using that.

And yes. Kasperky is KGB spyware because it behaves like spyware with no valid explanation for that weird behavior.
  • terrybessterrybess

When you uninstalled did you completely delete the Mabi folder or were files still left over?

At this point I would try uninstalling Bit Defender, verify the mabi files / install the the patch. If that works reinstall Bitdefender and hope it doesn't delete necessary files.

I hate bitdefender. If Kasperky wasn't KGB spyware I would still be using that.

And yes. Kasperky is KGB spyware because it behaves like spyware with no valid explanation for that weird behavior.

yeah i did
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    My ESET did the same thing, but luckily the game started anyway and seems like nothing happened after that. Everything looks same for me now.
  • KatherzKatherz
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
    Hello, we are looking into it :)
    Greta[Deleted User]
  • EmikoEmiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 570

If you knew anything about BitDefender, "Gen:Variant.Symmi.82863" the "Gen" part of that stands for General/Generic, Symmi is internally used by the BD Team for encryption methods that are proprietary to a specific company, in this case, Nexon/Oreans Technology (peeps that developed the Themida encryption algorithm), the 82863 is their generic lookup string for that particular variant within the General/Generic internal listings. It's nothing to worry about on the end user side, though Nexon should give BitDefender a heads up that it's a false positive.
    [Deleted User]
  • MelonpanMelonpan
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    The same proble with nod32
    [Deleted User]