Check out the patch notes for the February 18th update: https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/65163/patch-notes-february-18th-2021
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge Alternative?

Comments

  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,585
    Posts: 1,009
    Member
    edited January 29, 2018
    Gaea wrote: »
    You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    It's only inevitable if they do a server merge, and as of now, it's not happening.

    I put thought and research into a majority of my pets names, and I DESPISE numbers in my names, I really have an extremely hard time doing it, (I did do it for my PSN name)... One of my characters is my IRL name and this character/forum name is a family member... I've been around since day 2 of open beta, it would not be fair if I/we had to rename my/our characters... Every once in awhile I even play as my pet... They aren't just storage for me...

    And think of it this way too, say you couldn't get to your usernames first, how would you feel running around seeing someone else running around with your IDENTITY....? Honestly, I'd quit playing all together.... u.u;

    My opinion still stands, I would not want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names... Sorry...

    EDIT: I also just want to point out that I do understand my opinion will not help Nexon decide if they do or do not choose to do a server merge, it is just my opinion and does not matter.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,440
    Posts: 1,701
    Member
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    It's only inevitable if they do a server merge, and as of now, it's not happening.

    I put thought and research into a majority of my pets names, and I DESPISE numbers in my names, I really have an extremely hard time doing it, (I did do it for my PSN name)... One of my characters is my IRL name and this character/forum name is a family member... I've been around since day 2 of open beta, it would not be fair if I/we had to rename my/our characters... Every once in awhile I even play as my pet... They aren't just storage for me...

    And think of it this way too, say you couldn't get to your usernames first, how would you feel running around seeing someone else running around with your IDENTITY....? Honestly, I'd quit playing all together.... u.u;

    My opinion still stands, I would not want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names... Sorry...

    The only players actually entitled to usernames are those who fund the ABT and CBT of a new game and pay $100+ for a name reservation.
    Otherwise, you as the player are actually entitled to nothing.
    Mabinogi is a F2P game for everyone to play, and doesn't usually free up character names by force.
    Usually only subscription based games like WoW (Thread) will make some sort of rules on freeing up space for character names after a certain period of time, if at all.

    KouyioueUnisex
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,585
    Posts: 1,009
    Member
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    It's only inevitable if they do a server merge, and as of now, it's not happening.

    I put thought and research into a majority of my pets names, and I DESPISE numbers in my names, I really have an extremely hard time doing it, (I did do it for my PSN name)... One of my characters is my IRL name and this character/forum name is a family member... I've been around since day 2 of open beta, it would not be fair if I/we had to rename my/our characters... Every once in awhile I even play as my pet... They aren't just storage for me...

    And think of it this way too, say you couldn't get to your usernames first, how would you feel running around seeing someone else running around with your IDENTITY....? Honestly, I'd quit playing all together.... u.u;

    My opinion still stands, I would not want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names... Sorry...

    The only players actually entitled to usernames are those who fund the ABT and CBT of a new game and pay $100+ for a name reservation.
    Otherwise, you as the player are actually entitled to nothing.
    Mabinogi is a F2P game for everyone to play, and doesn't usually free up character names by force.
    Usually only subscription based games like WoW (Thread) will make some sort of rules on freeing up space for character names after a certain period of time, if at all.

    I'm not sure what your point is. A want and an entitlement are two WHOLE different things. It still does NOT change the fact that I would NOT want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 62,450
    Posts: 8,197
    Member
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    It's only inevitable if they do a server merge, and as of now, it's not happening.

    I put thought and research into a majority of my pets names, and I DESPISE numbers in my names, I really have an extremely hard time doing it, (I did do it for my PSN name)... One of my characters is my IRL name and this character/forum name is a family member... I've been around since day 2 of open beta, it would not be fair if I/we had to rename my/our characters... Every once in awhile I even play as my pet... They aren't just storage for me...

    And think of it this way too, say you couldn't get to your usernames first, how would you feel running around seeing someone else running around with your IDENTITY....? Honestly, I'd quit playing all together.... u.u;

    My opinion still stands, I would not want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names... Sorry...

    EDIT: I also just want to point out that I do understand my opinion will not help Nexon decide if they do or do not choose to do a server merge, it is just my opinion and does not matter.

    Honestly...I really think all of us stand a really good chance at reclaiming our main ign's. The reason for that is that a lot of us are established in this very old community. We don't get a lot of new players - just alts because we know this game is funded primary by no lifer whales who attached themselves to this game and stayed for some reason. It's been 10 years.

    I mean the only reason why wouldn't be able to is some troller used your name for themselves or one of their pets.
    Jazmyn
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,440
    Posts: 1,701
    Member
    edited January 29, 2018
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    It's only inevitable if they do a server merge, and as of now, it's not happening.

    I put thought and research into a majority of my pets names, and I DESPISE numbers in my names, I really have an extremely hard time doing it, (I did do it for my PSN name)... One of my characters is my IRL name and this character/forum name is a family member... I've been around since day 2 of open beta, it would not be fair if I/we had to rename my/our characters... Every once in awhile I even play as my pet... They aren't just storage for me...

    And think of it this way too, say you couldn't get to your usernames first, how would you feel running around seeing someone else running around with your IDENTITY....? Honestly, I'd quit playing all together.... u.u;

    My opinion still stands, I would not want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names... Sorry...

    The only players actually entitled to usernames are those who fund the ABT and CBT of a new game and pay $100+ for a name reservation.
    Otherwise, you as the player are actually entitled to nothing.
    Mabinogi is a F2P game for everyone to play, and doesn't usually free up character names by force.
    Usually only subscription based games like WoW (Thread) will make some sort of rules on freeing up space for character names after a certain period of time, if at all.

    I'm not sure what your point is. A want and an entitlement are two WHOLE different things. It still does NOT change the fact that I would NOT want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names.

    6318a310b2253b712a3ae693955dfa790e5de9c61050051bc23b27f1ab0aecc9.gif

    The way you just presented your argument is exactly as if you feel entitled to have this name.
    Having a different character name won't affect game play in any way.
    Whether it be by the highly unlikely server merge or the continuation of the current server system.
    Plus, Guilds mainly use Discord or Line nowadays as opposed to Skype, so renames won't be too crippling either, just sighs and whines.)
    Also, there are plenty of languages in this world to put together a name with meaning in Mabinogi RPG fashion.


    GretaUnisex
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,585
    Posts: 1,009
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    Honestly...I really think all of us stand a really good chance at reclaiming our main ign's. The reason for that is that a lot of us are established in this very old community. We don't get a lot of new players - just alts because we know this game is funded primary by no lifer whales who attached themselves to this game and stayed for some reason. It's been 10 years.

    I mean the only reason why wouldn't be able to is some troller used your name for themselves or one of their pets.

    I do agree there is a good chance we could, but I do worry about the trollers as you mentioned, and there are sooo many people who are asking for name changes, you just never know and it would make me sad to have to rename... Lol.

    Would it be possible, in theory of course, that the requirement to change a name would only pop up IF there are duplicates?
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,585
    Posts: 1,009
    Member
    6318a310b2253b712a3ae693955dfa790e5de9c61050051bc23b27f1ab0aecc9.gif

    The way you just presented your argument is exactly as if you feel entitled to have this name.
    Having a different character name won't affect game play in any way.
    Whether it be by the highly unlikely server merge or the continuation of the current server system.
    Plus, Guilds mainly use Discord or Line nowadays as opposed to Skype, so renames won't be too crippling either, just sighs and whines.)
    Also, there are plenty of languages in this world to put together a name with meaning in Mabinogi RPG fashion.

    I am sorry you read it that way, but I did not say anything about being entitled. Please, try not to assume how I (or anyone else) feel/s based on text on a computer screen without seeing my/our emotions or body language.

    I do not use Discord, Line, or Skype, and I am not associated with any large guild. There are no other languages that can put my real name and my family members name into the character name besides the actual names already used... And, I already used multiple languages to get the names of my most recent pets, which is why it would be difficult for me to go through and rename each and every one accordingly.... And to lose my first pet cat's name would be sad, as I made a friend on here after they were released and to this day she still remembers him... (She unfortunately is unable to play anymore, hasn't for years, but we will still talk about it.)

    I get what you're saying, and you are right, we are not "entitled" to our names, but it still doesn't change the fact that it would still stink and is one of the reasons I would not be "all down for" a server merge if it was required. (You know... 61 names... If I had to CHANGE each name - not rename them the same name - I guarantee it would take me at minimum 61 hours to do.)

  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,015
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    @Gaea ~ Supposing a Server Merge did occur (as you folks are seemingly trying to impress upon, or give the appearance of such a thing already having been decided); No one would have to re-choose their names, or their pet's names; and no one from any server is more entitled than anyone from any other server to their names. That's to say each server's version of Gaea or Hardmusle (or Randomplayermcnoobstoner) has the same affinity rights to their names as the other. Harping about having to do what's already been proven unnecessary is all you're doing.

    Jazmyn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 62,450
    Posts: 8,197
    Member
    edited January 30, 2018
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Gaea ~ Supposing a Server Merge did occur (as you folks are seemingly trying to impress upon, or give the appearance of such a thing already having been decided); No one would have to re-choose their names, or their pet's names; and no one from any server is more entitled than anyone from any other server to their names. That's to say each server's version of Gaea or Hardmusle (or Randomplayermcnoobstoner) has the same affinity rights to their names as the other. Harping about having to do what's already been proven unnecessary is all you're doing.

    417226-f2Gpxnn_GzgfgNJi.jpg

    And all I was saying is that more than likely IF a server merge was to happen most of everyone here would be able to keep their established names. Even if we had to do a mad dash for them. I have a little more faith in the integrity of our close knit community than you do.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,030
    Posts: 1,497
    Member
    Meh. My name can go 2 sum one else 4 all I care. I'd just be satisfy that I can shop on all servers if that is all it costs. It was a derp name I created so my girls friends in the same club can easily find me when we chillz on da weekends back in the dayz. They're all gone already raising kids/ making sammichs 24/7 but I'm still stuck wit dis derp name I'd pay 100 bucks 4 a name change no prob. :o :* :s
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,015
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited January 30, 2018
    Gaea wrote: »
    And all I was saying is that more than likely IF a server merge was to happen most of everyone here would be able to keep their established names. Even if we had to do a mad dash for them. I have a little more faith in the integrity of our close knit community than you do.
    That's not what you said, and that's not what you're saying still. ~ You don't seem to understand what I said about co-existing names. ~ A mad dash for names would not occur because duplicate names can co-exist on the same server. ~ No one has any reason to worry about losing their names. ~ The integrity of our community doesn't have anything to do with it.

  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,080
    Posts: 887
    Member
    Chill dudes, it ain't that serious. I don't even need to read these threads word for word anymore to know someone here is taking the topic too seriously and making people mad. It's all good.

    This topic has been going on for years now, and probably will until Mabinogi, devCat, Nexon, or the internet explodes, so this post will be just as pointless as everyone else demanding a merge. But, I'll say it anyway; we're probably not going to get a server merge, though if we DO, I don't think it will be because we intimidated or urged or whined until the break of dawn. It will be because they decided to go through with it themselves.

    If 'they', whatever specific group of people in charge of and with the power of merging the server were actually listening or felt moved by our years worth of server merge talk, it would have been done already. Though you can keep making threads about this to vent out your frustration or share out your ideas if it makes you feel better. I don't have any control over this thread as much as we don't have any control with making a merge happen.

    All I ask is that, as a fellow Mabi player, even if the person reading this particularly hasn't done anything wrong, that you don't go overboard and attack and hurt people for what they say and think. Regardless of the player count in your server you can still have fun. :-)
    KageitoVeylaineHardmuscleHarukariJazmynCrimsọnUnisex
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 19,225
    Posts: 3,925
    Member
    Has a server merge ever happened overseas? If so, it either went well or it didn't. If it didn't it would've been corrected wouldn't it have? If it did happen then Nexon would have the experience of having done so before. If a server merge happened, I should think Nexon would debug the process to make sure that no one would lose their names or items or any other such things, before actually implementing it. One of the downsides of a merge many folks feel would be increased lag. That might be the case, but I suspect that could be addressed by just throwing more hardware at the problem. Another downside would be 4 guild neighborhoods instead of 16. The neighborhoods on Alexina in total are far from full. So for house renters it probably wont mean anything but for guilds who like to own castles then there would be that much more competition. The last downside I can see is that commerce prices would fall faster and recover slower. As for upsides. Hm? I'm not a PvPer so I can't speak for them, but I'd guess the chance to face ANY champion should be appealing shouldn't it? Mini-games like fashion or jousting have a better chance to occur. If you need to make a party for one reason or another, the chances to get help should be better. If you are a musical person you'd have a better chance to experience the music of or jam with any musical person whose videos you've seen on YouTube, not just the ones from your own server. Folks for whatever reason wanting to make very specialized guilds have a much better chance to make viable ones. There are reasons to merge the servers and to not do so. I suspect most would welcome it. Surely Nexon is aware of this yet it hasn't happened; why? Nexon is a business so it has to look at the bottom line. On the balance sheet, at this time, it must not be worth it for them.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 62,450
    Posts: 8,197
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    Has a server merge ever happened overseas? If so, it either went well or it didn't. If it didn't it would've been corrected wouldn't it have? If it did happen then Nexon would have the experience of having done so before. If a server merge happened, I should think Nexon would debug the process to make sure that no one would lose their names or items or any other such things, before actually implementing it. One of the downsides of a merge many folks feel would be increased lag. That might be the case, but I suspect that could be addressed by just throwing more hardware at the problem. Another downside would be 4 guild neighborhoods instead of 16. The neighborhoods on Alexina in total are far from full. So for house renters it probably wont mean anything but for guilds who like to own castles then there would be that much more competition. The last downside I can see is that commerce prices would fall faster and recover slower. As for upsides. Hm? I'm not a PvPer so I can't speak for them, but I'd guess the chance to face ANY champion should be appealing shouldn't it? Mini-games like fashion or jousting have a better chance to occur. If you need to make a party for one reason or another, the chances to get help should be better. If you are a musical person you'd have a better chance to experience the music of or jam with any musical person whose videos you've seen on YouTube, not just the ones from your own server. Folks for whatever reason wanting to make very specialized guilds have a much better chance to make viable ones. There are reasons to merge the servers and to not do so. I suspect most would welcome it. Surely Nexon is aware of this yet it hasn't happened; why? Nexon is a business so it has to look at the bottom line. On the balance sheet, at this time, it must not be worth it for them.

    Wow that chunk. Um...

    Yes there was one over sees in china. It didn't go very well and it took considerable amount of time to recover and fix everything. Least that's what I heard. Regardless of the risks, we still very much want it though. The players and the team would have to take every precaution and learn from China's execution.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,015
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Has a server merge ever happened overseas? If so, it either went well or it didn't. If it didn't it would've been corrected wouldn't it have? If it did happen then Nexon would have the experience of having done so before. If a server merge happened, I should think Nexon would debug the process to make sure that no one would lose their names or items or any other such things, before actually implementing it. One of the downsides of a merge many folks feel would be increased lag. That might be the case, but I suspect that could be addressed by just throwing more hardware at the problem. Another downside would be 4 guild neighborhoods instead of 16. The neighborhoods on Alexina in total are far from full. So for house renters it probably wont mean anything but for guilds who like to own castles then there would be that much more competition. The last downside I can see is that commerce prices would fall faster and recover slower. As for upsides. Hm? I'm not a PvPer so I can't speak for them, but I'd guess the chance to face ANY champion should be appealing shouldn't it? Mini-games like fashion or jousting have a better chance to occur. If you need to make a party for one reason or another, the chances to get help should be better. If you are a musical person you'd have a better chance to experience the music of or jam with any musical person whose videos you've seen on YouTube, not just the ones from your own server. Folks for whatever reason wanting to make very specialized guilds have a much better chance to make viable ones. There are reasons to merge the servers and to not do so. I suspect most would welcome it. Surely Nexon is aware of this yet it hasn't happened; why? Nexon is a business so it has to look at the bottom line. On the balance sheet, at this time, it must not be worth it for them.

    Wow that chunk. Um...

    Yes there was one over sees in china. It didn't go very well and it took considerable amount of time to recover and fix everything. Least that's what I heard. Regardless of the risks, we still very much want it though. The players and the team would have to take every precaution and learn from China's execution.
    This forum represents less than one half of one percent of the game's population (most Mabinogi players don't use the forum). It hardly speaks for the entirety of the community. Just because most people welcome the end of the world (they actually look forward to the demise of others at their own expense or benefit), doesn't mean it must or inevitably will happen.

    Jazmyn
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,015
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited January 30, 2018
    @Xiokun ~ If you're referring to me. No one was "attacked" for what they said or feel. My remark to Iyasenu was between the two of us and should have gone no further after that. ~ It was rude of me to say, "I'm done talking to you" (in the spiteful manner I did) and to reword what they said to reflect how it read to me, yes indeed, but that's all it was. I deleted my own post, but you can still read what was said in the quote below it made by Greta. I have noticed a pattern lately with certain folks (no names mentioned), where they seem to think dumping on me will make their debate "mean something it doesn't" regardless of what I say or how it's worded, or without even bothering so much as to read a single word I've said on the subject. It's funny how my insisting no one would have to lose their names, if a merge were to happen, can be twisted into contributing to the negativity of a debate. If you weren't referring to me; Do note, I will continue to express my opinion on this forum as anyone else who uses it does. (I expect someone will attack me for making this post, without actually reading it, because it doesn't say anything about supporting a merge in the first sentence). ~ Have a great day. ~ Cheers! :sleeping: :* :cookie: o:)

    Jazmyn
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,080
    Posts: 887
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Xiokun ~ If you're referring to me. No one was "attacked" for what they said or feel. My remark to Iyasenu was between the two of us and should have gone no further after that. ~ It was rude of me to say, "I'm done talking to you" (in the spiteful manner I did) and to reword what they said to reflect how it read to me, yes indeed, but that's all it was. I deleted my own post, but you can still read what was said in the quote below it made by Greta. I have noticed a pattern lately with certain folks (no names mentioned), where they seem to think dumping on me will make their debate "mean something it doesn't" regardless of what I say or how it's worded, or without even bothering so much as to read a single word I've said on the subject. It's funny how my insisting no one would have to lose their names, if a merge were to happen, can be twisted into contributing to the negativity of a debate. If you weren't referring to me; Do note, I will continue to express my opinion on this forum as anyone else who uses it does. (I expect someone will attack me for making this post, without actually reading it, because it doesn't say anything about supporting a merge in the first sentence). ~ Have a great day. ~ Cheers! :sleeping: :* :cookie: o:)

    Okie dokie. Like I said, it wasn't referring to you. It was just a general thing. If I meant you or anyone specific, I would have said your or their name. It's all good. :p
    Hardmuscle
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,545
    Posts: 6,918
    Member
    This thread still alive? Why it's not merged with other server merge threads?
    HardmuscleJazmyn
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,015
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited January 30, 2018
    @Xiokun ~ o:)
    Greta wrote: »
    This thread still alive? Why it's not merged with other server merge threads?
    @Greta ~ Not enough memes...?

    Jazmyn
  • EmikoEmiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 570
    Posts: 7
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »

    Wow that chunk. Um...

    Yes there was one over sees in china. It didn't go very well and it took considerable amount of time to recover and fix everything. Least that's what I heard. Regardless of the risks, we still very much want it though. The players and the team would have to take every precaution and learn from China's execution.

    I've been in a game where the "Community" demanded a server merge, even the developers thought it'd be a great idea. You know what followed? 6 months worth of glitches, 6 months of wading through account recovery for a good majority of players, 6 months of 2~4GB patches to correct issues that came up client side, and for the initial time, a full TWO MONTHS of not being able to play at all, because the servers no longer wanted to start. There is no waving a magic wand and everything going as planned, there is no taking precaution. Your asking for a developer who, initially intended for their game to operate in a branched server environment to now bring it all back into a single server environment, what your asking for is a monumental task, that if done could take months if not years, to fully fix and iron out any hiccups that could come along the way. Now do you really think the Mabi community as a whole, could survive months worth of complete downtime? With so many new games on the horizon, it would kill off what population is left except for the most hardcore of players. Mabinogi thrives off it's NX whales, if they're not playing that means that means they're not paying, if Nexon can't retain those players in another one of their games, the downtime following the merge could mean life or death for Mabi.

    I've been in games where community might be strong, but profits are low(Paragon), and the developers/publishers think it's in their best interest to shutter the doors and sell off the servers for the game. I think you need to come to grips on what you're demanding, since it's a double edged sword.
    JazmynHardmuscleGreta