Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/76725/september-quality-of-life-updates
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

More Balanced Elves?

Comments

  • bunny11bunny11
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
    Posts: 62
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    I think elves are finally in a good place right now due to Vision of Ladeca (especially if you can grind to 20k), Divine Link, and Chain Slash.

    It is not a versatile race whatsoever though- you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise. Maybe they should add/buff a spell or two in the magic talent tree soon, or new reforges for magic, or something. That could give elves another viable pathway.

    But I'm enjoying the hell out of my Elf archer with chain sub for versatility after years of what I feel was neglect toward elf players.
  • bunny11bunny11
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
    Posts: 62
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    Nilrem wrote: »
    All this talk of Elves being "required" to use archery for balance and I'm just here as an elf maining chains doing occasional 100k impales.

    Would it kill any of you to just use what you find fun and not follow any sort of "meta" trend unless doing something like Phantasm?

    Outside of Phantasm, Mabinogi is a laughably easy game.

    I still think reforged Bohemian seems to be the better path, but a nicely equipped chain main set could be very good as well. I just doubt it's as good as a 20k+ cumulative reforged and enchanted elf archer main.

    I really have no problem with elves being railroaded into something/niche combat role, my problem was when we literally sucked at everything.
  • LetusLetus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,130
    Posts: 58
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    Letus wouldn't mind if they ever fixed the whole Elf Archery thing where you aim...click to shoot...and nothing happens so you stand there awkwardly until you get mauled.

    And Letus is trying to make a Martial Artist Archer with one...that whole thing really ruins the combo flow....
    otherwise...stillhateelves
    lousy..knife eared...Vulcan Cosplayers...
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Posts: 340
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    KimCheolsu wrote: »

    Edit: Also, I don't know why but when I see something similar to this line, it kind of irks me.:
    I mean, any gear needs reforging at a certain point

    Out of curiosity, what's irksome about that? Is it not true that regardless of the skill, if you're looking to min-max you're going to have to invest in some reforges?

    its irking that cash shop items are needed to rng your way up there, even if you but it off directly with already good stats its still irking knowing that someone had to in order to roll good stats
    Letus wrote: »
    Letus wouldn't mind if they ever fixed the whole Elf Archery thing where you aim...click to shoot...and nothing happens so you stand there awkwardly until you get mauled.

    And Letus is trying to make a Martial Artist Archer with one...that whole thing really ruins the combo flow....
    otherwise...stillhateelves
    lousy..knife eared...Vulcan Cosplayers...

    i think fixing that infamous elf lag issue could make elf archery significantly more smooth like it used to, now a days (or years at this point) it feels so clunky and uncomfortable.

    also idk if it has fixed yet but i highly dount they have, remove that random purple spot that elves have moving around in their faces.
  • LetusLetus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,130
    Posts: 58
    Member
    Julie wrote: »
    Letus wrote: »
    Letus wouldn't mind if they ever fixed the whole Elf Archery thing where you aim...click to shoot...and nothing happens so you stand there awkwardly until you get mauled.

    And Letus is trying to make a Martial Artist Archer with one...that whole thing really ruins the combo flow....
    otherwise...stillhateelves
    lousy..knife eared...Vulcan Cosplayers...

    i think fixing that infamous elf lag issue could make elf archery significantly more smooth like it used to, now a days (or years at this point) it feels so clunky and uncomfortable.

    also idk if it has fixed yet but i highly dount they have, remove that random purple spot that elves have moving around in their faces.

    Aww...but that roaming spot reminds Letus of Igor from "Young Frankenstein"
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310
    Posts: 342
    Member
    KimCheolsu wrote: »
    My answer would be redundant as I've already said why reforges bother me in the above post., and you can just look at whatever the helllll of everything Julie said before that too.

    Never said reforges are good or benefit the game, just that archery is not the only skill in the world that requires reforging in the endgame to max out damage output :-)

  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    Posts: 199
    Member
    The problem is that alot of the power is in the reforges. The other skills have pretty low %
    Magnum and smash are the only ones that give 200% at 20
    That's 40% more damage and with the set, it's 60% more damage
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,300
    Posts: 2,793
    Member
    bunny11 wrote: »
    I think elves are finally in a good place right now due to Vision of Ladeca (especially if you can grind to 20k), Divine Link, and Chain Slash.

    It is not a versatile race whatsoever though- you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise. Maybe they should add/buff a spell or two in the magic talent tree soon, or new reforges for magic, or something. That could give elves another viable pathway.

    But I'm enjoying the hell out of my Elf archer with chain sub for versatility after years of what I feel was neglect toward elf players.

    I have to play as an archer?
    I am doing exceptionally well chaining everything to death.
    Kaga
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Posts: 340
    Member
    KimCheolsu wrote: »
    My answer would be redundant as I've already said why reforges bother me in the above post., and you can just look at whatever the helllll of everything Julie said before that too.

    Never said reforges are good or benefit the game, just that archery is not the only skill in the world that requires reforging in the endgame to max out damage output :-)

    thats pretty much my point there, reforges has been the excuse for some of the issues found in archery.
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    Posts: 617
    Member
    bunny11 wrote: »
    you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise.

    No.
    NeynaTunfisk
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,040
    Posts: 1,242
    Member
    Kaga wrote: »
    bunny11 wrote: »
    you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise.

    No.

    If you’re in NA with no lag then maybeeeee.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,045
    Posts: 286
    Member
    "na mabi"
    "no lag"

    pick one
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    Posts: 617
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    Neyna wrote: »
    Kaga wrote: »
    bunny11 wrote: »
    you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise.

    No.

    If you’re in NA with no lag then maybeeeee.

    Maybe.. but..
    Last thing I need to read is someone saying if you don't archer, you can't consider yourself a serious player (combat-wise)

    No you don't need to archer to be a good elf "combat-wise".
    People think that because they just follow the crowd/overseas servers. They haven't tried to find their own playstyle.

    I already said this and I will say it again; If you think archery is good and nothing can be as good as archery, good for you.
    Just don't tell people that they can't consider themselves as serious player "combat-wise" because they don't archer.
    They have their own play style and you have your own-.. well.. play style.
    TunfiskVeylaineTrythis
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,040
    Posts: 1,242
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    "na mabi"
    "no lag"

    pick one

    I said NA WITH no lag, not NA or someone with no lag.

    Can’t expect everyone to play the game right (“You’re playing Elf wrong cause you’re not using archer”).

  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,045
    Posts: 286
    Member
    edited February 5, 2018
    yeah sure just be yourself you're an unique special snowflake don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're just using math but you have the power of anime on your side, everyone gets a medal

    if anyone asks what's the theoretical best way to play mabinogi just give them an empty answer instead of telling them the truth so they can find their way, just say something like "everyone is a winner, let your heart pick for you"

    yes that's very useful, did i mention everyone gets a medal? because they do! /milennial

    or, yknow, just accept you're not following the META and that following it would yield better results, or prove that what you're doing is the META via math
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    Posts: 617
    Member
    edited February 6, 2018
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    yeah sure just be yourself you're an unique special snowflake don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're just using math but you have the power of anime on your side, everyone gets a medal

    if anyone asks what's the theoretical best way to play mabinogi just give them an empty answer instead of telling them the truth so they can find their way, just say something like "everyone is a winner, let your heart pick for you"

    yes that's very useful, did i mention everyone gets a medal? because they do!

    "they are just using math". Right.
    80% of the elves are just following crowds and telling you that you can't play elf as a mage/chain++, you have to archer else you aren't playing the game as an elf "right". Lets be clear about that. Nor do you have to be a special snowflake just because you aren't interested in archery/lag too much.
    I already said if you want to archer, good for you.

    Mabinogi isn't real life (fyi)

    The funny part here is, I use a skill that was definitely not the meta before (in phantasm) and now everyone is calling it meta, even though most said that it was useless there. Why? because instead of actually trying it yourself before talking bs, you just went ahead and followed everyone else.

    Know what that tells me? try before you judge.

    Back on topic though,,
    Yes, archery does need a lot of investment to be useful compared to most classes (e.g. magic/chain/combat etc)
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,040
    Posts: 1,242
    Member
    edited February 6, 2018
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    yeah sure just be yourself you're an unique special snowflake don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're just using math but you have the power of anime on your side, everyone gets a medal

    Rather be unique and enjoy the game than follow someone just because they said “this” is good and criticise your game play because you’re playing the game differently.

    Most comments I’ve seen relating to elves are that “elves don’t need revamp because archery is already op” or something relating to archery only.

    There is no proper way to play this game (Kinda like what you said) and you can’t insult/call them noobs just because they like to play their race (elves) differently than some player(s) that says “ you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise”.

    Some wants elves to be better at Magic too and not see these updates that buffs elves in archery only.

    @Kaga I guess you were not a serious player before phantasm came out since you use Blaze for several years ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Kaga
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,045
    Posts: 286
    Member
    im not following anything, just saying that elf archery is either meta and you should call it such, or it isn't because you found a better alternative, if you did congratulations that's the meta

    if said alternative isn't better then why are we still arguing this, you chose the lesser option because its fun to you and thats nice but if somebody asks which is the better way why not answer them the truth instead of going circles around it
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    Posts: 617
    Member
    edited February 6, 2018
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    im not following anything, just saying that elf archery is either meta and you should call it such, or it isn't because you found a better alternative, if you did congratulations that's the meta

    if said alternative isn't better then why are we still arguing this, you chose the lesser option because its fun to you and thats nice but if somebody asks which is the better way why not answer them the truth instead of going circles around it

    I did find a better alternative that is as good, if not better than cs/mag spam.

    Which is why I am saying that there is no such things as only "one meta".
    But you still don't see me shove it on peoples faces and telling them that they aren't playing elf right just because they don't follow what I see as meta..just saying.

    Oh you aren't "following" anything? I guess we both are special snowflakes

    You are ignoring everything else I was saying.. like how you don't need to go for archery to be good combat-wise.
    At this point I feel like you are just trying to start -removed-.

    Whatever floats your boat.
    NeynaTunfiskVeylaineTrythis
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,045
    Posts: 286
    Member
    edited February 6, 2018
    i think you don't understand what meta means

    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=meta
This discussion has been closed.