Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

More Balanced Elves?

Comments

• bunny11bunny11
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
    edited February 6, 2018
    I have to play as an archer?
    I am doing exceptionally well chaining everything to death.

I think chain is really good now, but Elves have still been buffed so much with their archery that I think you need to be an archer main with supplementary weapons/sets to really reach the elf's full potential.
    I'm still so shocked about how much they've been buffed in archery. Nexon did this from a variety of different angles instead of one straightforward Elf revamp, but I feel they're really in a good spot now.
    Kaga wrote: »
    No you don't need to archer to be a good elf "combat-wise".
    People think that because they just follow the crowd/overseas servers. They haven't tried to find their own playstyle.

I already said this and I will say it again; If you think archery is good and nothing can be as good as archery, good for you.
    Just don't tell people that they can't consider themselves as serious player "combat-wise" because they don't archer.
    They have their own play style and you have your own-.. well.. play style.

Can you prove me wrong because I've been maining Elf since the morning servers came up with elf release and they have never been too viable for competitive play until relatively recently at least on NA. It's not just the mag spamming but we can finally put different mounted archery techniques to good use and our new racial active is exclusively beneficial for archery.

Elves were always meant to excel in archery, so I don't know why you're taking offense
    Unisex wrote: »
    Elves need dark skin.

This will never happen due to lore reasons
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    bunny11 wrote: »

I think chain is really good now, but Elves have still been buffed so much with their archery that I think you need to be an archer main to really reach the elf's full potential.
    I'm still so shocked about how much they've been buffed in archery. Nexon did this from a variety of different angles instead of one straightforward Elf revamp, but I feel they're really in a good spot now.
    People think that because they just follow the crowd/overseas servers. They haven't tried to find their own playstyle.

I already said this and I will say it again; If you think archery is good and nothing can be as good as archery, good for you.
    Just don't tell people that they can't consider themselves as serious player "combat-wise" because they don't archer.

Can you prove me wrong because I've been maining Elf since the morning servers came up with elf release and they have never been too viable for competitive play until relatively recently at least on NA. It's not just the mag spamming but we can finally put different mounted archery techniques to good use and our new racial active is exclusively beneficial for archery.

Elves were always meant to excel in archery, so I don't know why you're taking offense
    Elves need dark skin.

I see. "Serious Player Combat Wise" doesn't necessarily seem to equate to "Full Potential". Past a certain point, most content can be easily cleared without much effort, mainly resulting in overkill.
    KagaVeylaineZeoTunfisk
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited February 6, 2018

I think chain is really good now, but Elves have still been buffed so much with their archery that I think you need to be an archer main with supplementary weapons/sets to really reach the elf's full potential.

Elves need dark skin.

Lemme reply to few of your comments above.

1. Elves are not just meant to excel only in archery, but also with magic. So telling someone that they can't be "serious" combat-wise because they don't archer is bull.

2. Viable for competitive play you say? We have Chains, N+blaze, firebolt and much more. Or are you saying they don't "count" because they aren't "race-exclusive" play styles?

3. What do you mean by "different mounted archery techniques"? Hide + Mag has always been there, it's just got recently more attention because people started using it in Alban/Phantasm.

4. "Elves have still been buffed so much with their archery"I still don't get where you got this information from. Elves only gained Vision of Ladeca.
    5. "It's not just the mag spamming but we can finally put different mounted archery techniques to good use" Like what? more mag spam + hide on pets?
    6. Dark skin has nothing to do with the lore in this game, let's not start another debate about that.

7. As for "elves potential" or whatever that's supposed to mean. You don't need to reach that so called "potential" you speak of to one shot most things in this game.
    VeylaineZeoSylviaWolfeNeynaTunfiskBehelitRadiant Dawn
  • bunny11bunny11
    edited February 6, 2018
    Elves were intended to excel in magic as well, which is why I mained magic for years after originally giving up on archery (after years of that). My personal hope is for a revamp to the mage talent (mostly to make it more ENJOYABLE, and less dated, to use) and some elf perks included within that. Even though I still think elf could get a couple of warranted buffs, I'm no longer demanding for anything major. We have our niche and we excel at a few different things and I won't ask for much more than that.

As for your rebuttal I'm not downplaying firebolting and chainblades, so I don't know what you're talking about at all there. Here's the thing, and yes you're correct but let me expand. The other races have had those, but then they have always them to use in tandem with their powerful racial exclusive bonuses/skills. Elves never had that until recently. So for the longest time we were just a nerfed version of the other races in any realistic combat situation: sharing the powerful cross-racial techniques, but with nothing exclusive and boastworthy of our own. That has changed now.

tl;dr - We have the same powerful cross-racial skills as everyone else, but we finally have something elf-specific to contribute.

Personally I prefer to use my main archery set with archery reforges and enchants with my chainblade in my 2nd slot which still benefits a lot from the bonus attack enchants, with a bard buff effect set in my extra equipment slot. I prefer to use my chain blade for versatility instead of my main damage source.

You're making me out to have this loathsome opinion when I'm actually celebrating what they've done with elves, and I have no problem with people who choose to take their own path. My IRL friend mains a melee elf and I have no problem with him using what he wants. He's not in denial about how bad it is though compared to other elf gear/skill paths. But he's having fun.

BTW, yes the reasons for the elven fair skin complexion are explicitly stated within the lore. I don't want to go over it again either, but we can pull up the quest transcripts if you like. It's been explained.
  • KagaKaga
    edited February 6, 2018
    Elves were intended to excel in magic as well, which is why I mained magic for years after originally giving up on archery (after years of that). My personal hope is for a revamp to the mage talent (mostly to make it more ENJOYABLE, and less dated, to use) and some elf perks included within that. Even though I still think elf could get a couple of warranted buffs, I'm no longer demanding for anything major. We have our niche and we excel at a few different things and I won't ask for much more than that.

As for your rebuttal I'm not downplaying firebolting and chainblades, so I don't know what you're talking about at all there. Here's the thing, and yes you're correct but let me expand. The other races have had those, but then they have always them to use in tandem with their powerful racial exclusive bonuses/skills. Elves never had that until recently. So for the longest time we were just a nerfed versions of the other races in any realistic combat situation - sharing the powerful cross-racial techniques, but with nothing exclusive and boastworthy of our own. That has changed now.

tl;dr - We have the same powerful cross-racial skills as everyone else, but we finally have something elf-specific to contribute.

Personally I prefer to use my main archery set with archery reforges and enchants with my chainblade in my 2nd slot which still benefits a lot from the bonus attack enchants, with a bard buff effect set in my extra equipment slot. I prefer to use my chain blade for versatility instead of my main damage source.

You're making me out to be this wicked person when I'm actually celebrating what they've done with elves, and I have no problem with people who choose to take their own path. My IRL friend mains a melee elf and I have no problem with him using what he wants. He's not in denial about how bad it is though compared to other elf gear/skill paths. But he's having fun.

BTW, yes the reasons for the elven skin complexion are explicitly stated within the lore. I don't want to go over it again either, but we can pull up the quest transcripts if you like. It's been explained.

I would love to see where it was stated within the lore.

What I'm saying is, who are you to decide if a player is a serious player "combat-wise" or not?
    I have been kicking *** (like a lot of elves) in this game without even using archery and I still consider myself serious combat-wise, so I don't see how people have to archer to be considered serious combat-wise.

I do want to see some elf-exclusive magic related revamp though, even though I have no problem with any content in this game.
    Which is why I don't mind waiting for that (hopefully we will get some in the future)

To finish off this debate, I think most people agree with me that you don't have to archer to be good combat-wise (as an elf)
    The ones saying that are either newbies who just finished binge-watching some mag spam videos on YT or haven't tried anything else beside of archery.

#Case-Closed
    Neyna
  • bunny11bunny11
    edited February 6, 2018
    That's fine but you are not reaching your full potential as an elf in combat. That doesn't mean you're not a perfectly competent and useful party member & player. But I don't need to watch any videos to pop my 15 minute duration (out of every 36 minutes), 400% aiming buff (a total gamechanger that you're seemingly trying to downplay) and tear stuff up in a way that the other two races can't. I can now contribute something to a party uniquely as an elf player, and I don't see how you don't understand how this affects mounted play as well.

It seems like the real problem here is that you don't want to be an archer, and I do join you in hoping for some sort of Elf exclusive magic perks. The race was always meant to excel in magic as well, and I don't deny that. But if it's too large a buff, then there will be a backlash from Human and Giant players who have invested a lot into magic (or who simply believe that elves have already gotten enough love).

I'm all ears if anyone has ideas for an elf magic buff that manages to avoid a major backlash from the community at large.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    edited February 6, 2018
    Oh boy.. we have that one more person who think elves getting the dark skintone would be against the Mabinogi lore even though there’s nothing in the game that specifically stated elves can’t have dark skintones. I have been asking this for a LOOOOOOONG time and I will say it again, I would like to see the in-game screenshot of the quest transcript please. :^) It is funny because now I remember this same guy was against the idea of elves getting dark skintones due to the ‘lore’ in my suggestion thread in the older forum before we moved on to the new forum and this guy STILL continue to fail to provide any any legitimate in-game proof where it was specifically stated that elves cannot have the dark skintones.

Don’t you just love how we have few people acting like they already know stuffs about Mabinogi lore when they actuslly don’t know anything about the Mabinogi lore? lol

Anyways, back onto the topic.. I am with @Kaga on this one, if you think the only way to ‘play elves right’ something to do archery skills and is so insistent on trying to pressure others who main an elf to use archery otherwise they’re ‘doing it wrong’... I’m sorry but you are one with the issue, not Kaga. Proof? I have been mailing an elf for a VERY long time... ever since Iria and Alexina server came out, actually and I still don’t main archery... I don’t want to be a magnum spam bot, lol. I have been using melee and guns for a while now even though elves are at its disadvantage with the melee but they still can get just about anywhere with melee and everything else, not just archery. Also.. Ladeca of Vision does help but only slightly because NA Mabinogi have the issue for a long time with lag which doesn’t reslly help too... anyways, I have been maining Chain Slash ever since it is out in NA Mabinogi and while Chain Slash is not too much, it’s actuslly a bit of the buff the elves to use so I’m grateful for that.
    KagaVeylaineSylviaWolfeTunfiskRadiant Dawn
  • KagaKaga
    edited February 6, 2018
    That's fine but you are not reaching your full potential as an elf in combat. That doesn't mean you're not a perfectly competent and useful party member & player. But I don't need to watch any videos to pop my 15 minute duration (out of every 36 minutes), 400% aiming buff (a total gamechanger that you're seemingly trying to downplay) and tear stuff up in a way that the other two races can't. I can now contribute something to a party uniquely as an elf player, and I don't see how you don't understand how this affects mounted play as well.

It seems like the real problem here is that you don't want to be an archer, and I do join you in hoping for some sort of Elf exclusive magic perks. The race was always meant to excel in magic as well, and I don't deny that. But if it's too large, then there will be a backlash from Human and Giant players who have invested a lot into magic. I'm all ears if anyone has ideas for an elf magic buff that manages to avoid that outcome.

That's what you think though. While you pop your 15 minute duration of VoL every 36 mins I just n+blaze everything and firebolt/SS+impale bosses.
    We all have our own ways of playing the game, but you have no right to come here and tell people that they aren't serious combat-wise because they don't use archery.
    I didn't say that VoL doesn't affect mounted play, it's just that it's exactly the same, just 4x faster.
    FYI, that "Potential" that you are talking about (mag/cs spam) needs tons of gold/investment to even be relevant.
    VeylaineZeoNeynaTunfiskRadiant Dawn
  • bunny11bunny11
    edited February 6, 2018

It seems like the real problem here is that you don't want to be an archer, and I do join you in hoping for some sort of Elf exclusive magic perks. The race was always meant to excel in magic as well, and I don't deny that. But if it's too large, then there will be a backlash from Human and Giant players who have invested a lot into magic. I'm all ears if anyone has ideas for an elf magic buff that manages to avoid that outcome.

That's what you think though. While you pop your 15 minute duration of VoL every 36 mins I just n+blaze everything and firebolt/SS+impale bosses.
    We all have our own ways of playing the game, but you have no right to come here and tell people that they aren't serious combat-wise because they don't use archery.
    I didn't say that VoL doesn't affect mounted play, it's just that it's exactly the same, just 4x faster.
    FYI, that "Potential" that you are talking about (mag/cs spam) needs tons of gold/investment to even be relevant.

and that 400% aiming speed boost has been pivotal in our ability to finally kite effectively with our mounted archery.

The elf archer "cs/magnum bot-like spam" comments being made ITT come off as pure bitterness. And I think you're being pretty disrespectful to elf players like myself who wanted to play Elf archer from day 1. We're not bandwagoners and you're trying hard to put us down as such.

I have found elf archer to be an extremely dynamic playstyle, especially as of late. Between magnum shot as my main damage source, crash shot, kiting (with and without mounts), final shot (another powerful elf exclusive archer skill that you have not brought up that stacks with VoL for 0 aiming time ranged play) compounded with death marks debuffs from my secondary weapon and chain skill crowd control.

I don't expect everyone to pay for the extra equipment slots but combine all that with keeping my party buffed on my extra set swap (Tuan being up most of the time for my mounted archery) and I don't find myself to be a spammer or bot-like at all.

• VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited February 6, 2018

and that 400% aiming speed boost has been pivotal in our ability to finally kite effectively with our mounted archery.

The elf archer "cs/magnum bot-like spam" comments being made ITT come off as pure bitterness. And I think you're being pretty disrespectful to elf players like myself who wanted to play Elf archer from day 1. We're not bandwagoners and you're trying hard to put us down as such.

I have found elf archer to be an extremely dynamic playstyle, especially as of late. Between magnum shot as my main damage source, crash shot, kiting (with and without mounts), final shot (another powerful elf exclusive archer skill that you have not brought up that stacks with VoL for 0 aiming time ranged play) compounded with death marks debuffs from my secondary weapon and chain skill crowd control.

I don't expect everyone to pay for the extra equipment slots but combine all that with keeping my party buffed on my extra set swap (Tuan being up most of the time for mounted archery) and I don't find myself to be a spammer or bot-like at all.

so in your opinion its full potential because no other race can spam archery as fast? I don't think that qualifies as the ONLY way to be serious combat wise or full potential it just one of the ways elves can be good, being unique doesn't equate to maximum effectiveness and its hardly an argument since you're comparing oranges and apples here. Magic,Chain,Archery can all be an elfs max potential and archery being able to shoot faster or mounted archery making elf archer unique DOESN'T make it the absolute and ONLY way to reach an elfs "max potential"
    KagaZeoTunfiskRadiant Dawn
  • KagaKaga

I don't expect everyone to pay for the extra equipment slots but combine all that with keeping my party buffed on my extra set swap (Tuan being up most of the time for my mounted archery) and I don't find myself to be a spammer or bot-like at all.

So... all of the sudden I'm the one whos trying to put you down when you say stuff like "you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise"??

Okay??

FYI most elves that play now and main archery are humans/giants that switched to elves because mag spam (atleast in Mari) so obviously I would call you guys bandwagoners.

Either way, as far as I can tell there isn't even a point arguing with you about it.
    You do you.
    ZeoNeynaTunfisk
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited February 6, 2018
    Dark skin and dark hair are not the same. :/ Even then, due to the inconsistent regards to lore by the developers, why should we care? It infringes upon customization options at the behest of the playerbase, and benefits virtually no one.

Which by the way, Elves now have black hair as a free option. As for dark skin, there's nothing explicitly stated in the lore about such a thing.
    ZeoKagaVeylaineTunfiskRadiant Dawn
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    yNiBv8S.gif
    ZeoVeylaineSylviaWolfeRadiant Dawn
  • LetusLetus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,130
    edited February 6, 2018
    Arrow Revol....oh.
    ZeoRadiant Dawn
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited February 6, 2018
    Dark skin and dark hair are not the same. :/ Even then, due to the inconsistent regards to lore by the developers, why should we care? It infringes upon customization options at the behest of the playerbase, and benefits virtually no one.

Which by the way, Elves now have black hair as a free option. As for dark skin, there's nothing explicitly stated in the lore about such a thing.

Elves were always able to have black hair, so its not against the lore to have it as an option, it just happens to be taboo in their culture, that doesnt mean they still cant be born with it, otherwise there wouldnt be elves getting killed over it. Besides theres 2 elven npcs with black hair. *remembers Maike* wait no make that 3 :D
    ZeoRadiant Dawn
  • bunny11bunny11
    edited February 6, 2018
    So... all of the sudden I'm the one whos trying to put you down when you say stuff like "you must be an archer if you consider yourself a serious player combat-wise"??

Okay??

FYI most elves that play now and main archery are humans/giants that switched to elves because mag spam (atleast in Mari) so obviously I would call you guys bandwagoners.

Either way, as far as I can tell there isn't even a point arguing with you about it.
    You do you.

The truth hurts. Mabinogi is a sandbox game where you can play however you want, but the elves and giants were added in part to specialize in a specific subset of skills. For elves, that focus was to be archery and that has always been crystal clear, whether you're looking at mounted archery, quivers, Final Shot, Mirage Missile, stat distribution, and more.

You may be an elf doing perfectly well without archery but that doesn't change the fact that you are using the archer specialization race and you're definitely not reaching maximum efficiency if you're not taking advantage of our unique abilities, especially post-Vision of Ladeca update.

I really wonder if you would have the same emotional response if I said "a Giant player who refuses to melee is not meeting his maximum potential". Another objectively true statement.

On customization changes, the elves of Mabinogi are described repeatedly and expicitly as being of fair skin in the game lore, and until anyone presents evidence to the contrary then the suggestion is ridiculous. Black haired elves have already been explained ingame.

As for your bandwagoner comment, I've never played Mabinogi for a day as Human or Giant.
  • GretaGreta
    edited February 6, 2018
    Julie wrote: »

Elves were always able to have black hair, so its not against the lore to have it as an option, it just happens to be taboo in their culture, that doesnt mean they still cant be born with it, otherwise there wouldnt be elves getting killed over it. Besides theres 2 elven npcs with black hair. *remembers Maike* wait no make that 3 :D

Maike's hair is dark blue or so. The only elf i can recall having black hair is Atrata. Can't remember any more of elf NPC's with black hair.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    edited February 6, 2018
    oh look this thread went down the drain

almost as if having elves and giants was a bad design idea, come on even FFXIV noticed that and made the racial differences trivial and just a cosmetic choice and lore based independent from the gameplay
    Radiant Dawn
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    Greta wrote: »

Maike's hair is dark blue or so. The only elf i can recall having black hair is Atrata. Can't remember any more of elf NPC's with black hair.

theres also Yvona

203px-Yvona.png

• GretaGreta
    Greta wrote: »

theres also Yvona

203px-Yvona.png

Ohhhh, yeah. :D
This discussion has been closed.