Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why don't other MMOs do what mabinogi does?

Comments

• KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Greta wrote: »
    Zarozian wrote: »
    Well there was Runescape and it was a lot easier and less grindy than Mabi.

I think you mean the opposite. My bf is playing Olschool Runescape and it's way more grindy and tedious than Mabinogi.

tfw you need a new bf
    rj3c9zK.png
    [Deleted User]Nifanity
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited March 13, 2018
    Ah, Runescape.. I started that back in Feb 27, 2002 (I write these things down for some reason).
    It wasn't as grindy back then, because you could use auto clickers and macros to do everything. I remember an update where they put a stop to that.
    I quit playing that a day after the graphics overhaul because It was just too different for me. All I ever did was mine at the scorpion pits.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    [Deleted User]
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Runescape is easy and is more of an afk simulator than mabi is lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    edited March 13, 2018
    If I were to make an MMO, I'd focus on the social aspects and then the sandbox aspects with progression system like Mabi but less grindy and a lot of story.

And give it Peria Chronicles graphics.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 13, 2018
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    Zarozian wrote: »
    Well there was Runescape and it was a lot easier and less grindy than Mabi.

I think you mean the opposite. My bf is playing Olschool Runescape and it's way more grindy and tedious than Mabinogi.

tfw you need a new bf
    rj3c9zK.png
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Oh oh! I know what will cure your boyfriend. -- > This is so much like Runescape (in so many subtle ways), it should be Intellectual Property Theft. -- If Hellkaizer has never played this one, they might never come back lol.. omg :smirk:

Excuse me...?

Anyway, if we talk about current Runescape, then yeah, Zaro's statement is correct at that point.

• GretaGreta
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Greta
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Oh oh! I know what will cure your boyfriend. -- > This is so much like Runescape (in so many subtle ways), it should be Intellectual Property Theft. -- If Hellkaizer has never played this one, they might never come back lol.. omg :smirk:
    Excuse me...?
    I implied Eldevin would cure your boyfriend's addiction to Runescape (I was teasing, although Eldevin is actually kind of good). ~ :)

He's not addicted, where did that assumption come? How rude...
    He plays Runescape for a week or two, maximum month and goes to hiatus for at least 2 months or more. He keeps going back and forth beetween games. He probably has too short attention span for one game, he gets bored and drops it for some time.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Just make sad that no one has copied mabinogi's mmo concept.
    Its all just people copying WoW and Tera in some sense and not even trying to make unique games anymore.

I mean there are some that try do something different but they always do something that turns me away from the game.
    Theres a game (it might have come out already) called Shroud of the Avatar.
    It has oldish graphics (might just be my pc being trash) but it had an interesting combat system.
    The combat was basically your 1-9 button mmorpg but you could play it three different ways.
    Stagnant mmorpg button gameplay where you throw on your hotkeys and they stay there
    random buttons that give half the cost and cooldowns and you can stack multiple of the same skill
    Or combo based button where you set them in an order the you must follow and can also chain similar skills to do more damage.

The problem i had with the game was it was basically "stuck in the 90's"
    To explore the world you had to go to a like overworld map and travel to another location.
    However the locations would load you into fair sized zones you run around in.
    That and damage is unvoidable (i've been too spoiled by games like mabi and tera)

Probably a random derailish post but thats like the only game i've found that tries to be different.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    edited March 14, 2018
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    GXm66Lk.gif
    @Greta - Thinking your boyfriend is addicted to Runescape because you clearly implied it is rude? -- but saying you need a new boyfriend is not rude? - I think you are rude beyond words and just looking for some reason to be mad about something. -- Seriously. -- I wasn't trying to be rude or mean about anything. -- You lifted a completely erroneous reason to pick a fight out of literally thin air .. out of nowhere. ~ ..

Don't take anything from what I said about another game I think they might like. ~ Nope. ~ Go straight for the non-existing argument. :unamused:
    My bf is playing Olschool Runescape and it's way more grindy and tedious than Mabinogi.
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    tfw you need a new bf
    rj3c9zK.png

Uhh... What? I was implying that both KelpSoda's and your comments were rude, since you guys assumed that he's addicted to it and also Kelp said that i need "new bf" which, honestly gave me a message similar to "your bf is "insert vulgar word", you need a new one". No thanks, don't even try to comment anything about my bf, you are free to comment about me since you guys are talking to me and not him.

I'm leaving this thread now. Have a good day.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    oh no, nope, you aint dragging me into this i'm out cheers
    [Deleted User]Nifanity
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Please keep the discussion civil and on topic to prevent derailing.
    [Deleted User]Alchemistjk
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    I'll have to check Celestia Luna out myself-- but yeah! I got the short stick, I was only playing Luna Online for like 3 months before "rip sorry we're shutting it down :(". Ah well, fun while It lasted.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Until I get a new computer (or afford to get a new one) I can't really explore the MMO market.
    But I haven't seen/heard of one similar to Mabi.

There may be various single players that have some aspects, but never all of the aspects. Same for some MMOs.
  • KatharpyKatharpy
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    I've played a LOT of MMO's since I was a kid and Mabi is the only one that has kept me coming back for so many years. I can never seem to find one that I like. I think other MMO's should at least make their fashion like mabi does it, where it's not restricted by level. I hate games that only have one line of clothing for each class and you just buy the newest set when you level up more and the good stuff is all behind a paywall :(
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    I remember a mmo where you could kinda tame monsters and stuff.
    It had fairy in its name.
    That was long ago
    But it was one of those throwaway mmos that only some months.

I also remember katamari online, which was pretty innovative but kr wasn't smart enough to realease it here where the console version is famous and it got shutdown
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I remember a mmo where you could kinda tame monsters and stuff.
    It had fairy in its name.
    That was long ago
    But it was one of those throwaway mmos that only some months.
    Fairyland Online?

I remember playing that and renaming the desktop icon out of pure shame.
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    Only MMO I've found to be more of a sandbox than Mabi is EVE Online.
    Archage was fun until the story died and was overrun by trolls. Too open sandbox.
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,120
    There's a few games i play that got me in that "loving" feeling that Mabi gives me.
    *Closers
    *Tera

I've never played Vindictus but I heard there's a lot of similarities with it from Mabi...some people even say Mabi is a kids version of it. so...
    DANNYdani wrote: »
    There's a few games i play that got me in that "loving" feeling that Mabi gives me.
    *Closers
    *Tera

I've never played Vindictus but I heard there's a lot of similarities with it from Mabi...some people even say Mabi is a kids version of it. so...

More grind less fashionogies. Although there are players that do have some fancy dressups. Way more channels to limit lag, lag still same for the most part.

Use crossbow harpoons to fish and not fishing rods. Can't exactly afk fish.
    DANIarts
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,120
    DANNYdani wrote: »
    *Closers
    *Tera

More grind less fashionogies. Although there are players that do have some fancy dressups. Way more channels to limit lag, lag still same for the most part.

Use crossbow harpoons to fish and not fishing rods. Can't exactly afk fish.

true, but still o: