Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

GIVE UP on being a mage?

LostexplorerLostexplorer
Mabinogi Rep: 700
in Help
I want to be a great mage .. The damage they do is soo strong! I know i should first rank all my close combat skills first ... But my INT is super super low. Im a noob so i haven't rebirth, only 1 time. Because MY STR and INT are like opposites does that mean i shouldn't be a mage ????

Comments

• CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    If you want to be a mage, be a mage. You don't need close combat. In fact, if you spend too much time and AP training skills you don't want, you will quit Mabinogi before you get around to doing what you wanted in the first place.
    YangKoete
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Yeah, your CP will make it so too many enemies are considered "Weakest". Stuff like Gunslinger ya don't need to worry abut there, but for Magic? Yeah...You're best just doing what ya want.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I want to be a great mage .. The damage they do is soo strong! I know i should first rank all my close combat skills first ... But my INT is super super low. Im a noob so i haven't rebirth, only 1 time. Because MY STR and INT are like opposites does that mean i shouldn't be a mage ????

Talk to duncan reset your skills
    Pick and age that gives the most INT and choose the mage talent,
    Getting to level 200 before saturday happens would give 250 INT (since its almost saturday i'd wait till sunday)
    From there investing INT skills and you should be doing decent damage with magic skills.
  • SkeinSkein
    Mabinogi Rep: 235
    edited March 15, 2018
    Do what you like to do or the game will be meh. It´s recommended (cause it makes battle life easier in the beginning but you can get through without it) to have at least counter rank F and any armor mastery r1 (armor masteries are fairly fast to train in shyllien, did it within 2 hours) to defend against mobs that get too close. wm r1 is useful but I understand if you don´t want to grind it (having grinded it for 4 times I really do). If you can´t handle low HP, Combat Mastery is helpful as well... but a bit more annoying to rank without focusing on melee for a bit.

Other tips...
    use your beginner ice wand (choose mage at first rebirth to obtain it from duncan) if you´re short on money for repairs, learn fusion bolt and use it with this wand. With the current event use a durability hammer to create a chaincast firewand (costs some gold thou and you will only use it for a max firebolt - really powerful for the beginning. make sure to rank up all fire masteries, bolt masteries and magic weapon masteries to maximize damage). You should slowly obtain your advance skills like Thunder but the wand(s) needed to be good with them are expensive.

if you ranked other stuff besides magic reset your skills at duncan to lower your cp (concerns the powerful, very powerful, boss requirements from skills) to make training easier. Plus you will need the AP... You can rank the other skills back up anytime by only clicking Advance x times.

oh and if you enjoy music, composing and musical knowledge are fairly nice for INT... just book hunting can be ouch :c I got to 200 INT with just a few ranks in music.

P.S. experience from starting my elf alt on magic once without support from my main.

P.S.S. Oh and about INT and STR being opposites... not wholly true. Your STR adds physical defense and your INT magic defense, There´s a class called gunner that profits from both STR and INT. Myself I´m going to be a master spellsword (close combat+magic hybrid talent)!

PLUS in some situations mobs are magic resistent... not sure how it goes nowadays (been gone for a bit) but it´s good to have more areas covered.
  • TolnaTolna
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    As a player who went from an almost pure warrior/archer to mage, I’d say if you wanna stay mage go with it. As long as you have the basic combat skills like Counter, Defend, or windmill, you should be perfectly fine!

INT trains crazy fast, Musical Knowledge and composing give huge amounts for very little AP while a majority of the mage spells give good amounts as well.

Until you get strong enough to get the INT spells like Thunder, Fireball, and Ice Spear, Fusion Bolt and Firebolt will be your bread and butter. It’s very powerful and useful don’t underestimate it. I’d work towards Lightning Rod in terms of ADV magic. Meteor is pretty good but costs money or is a lot of work, and Hail Storm is pretty meh.

Short version is, you’re totally fine going pure mage!
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited March 16, 2018
    mage is very useful depending on the situation. I started as a warrior and never considered mage until one of my friends made it look awesome kicking my butt in pvp. even warriors can find use for spells, running a dungeon and want to clear a lot of enemies fast? use snap cast spell, fireball, and crisis escape after to remove aggro and most of the enemies will likely be dead. if you die in a dungeon room and go back to the last goddess statue return to the room and use meteor before you enter from behind the door (which I find most helpful in Peaca dungeon.) or use mage for rafting. so whether or not you choose to be a full time or part time mage you will probably find use for some of the skills either way :)
  • ChathanChathan
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    I would like to chime in here. If you are with a guild that runs in groups a lot add in healer arts to your magery. It will keep you from just standing at the back waiting for your chance to cast a spell. Plus cleric skills give mana for your pool and INT. With the AP train Grandmaster Cleric wont be as much of a pain as it was for me. *Hisses at magic shields and slinks away*