Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Player Mentor Matching System

LordAgonusLordAgonus
Mabinogi Rep: 470
edited January 12, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
Server: Mari, Character: Trianastar

An automated system which is triggered during a new player's first three logins:
-automatically matches the new player with a veteran character (cumulative level 500 or more) on the server. Both sides have the option to
accept/decline.
-if the mentor declines, it will continue searching for an available player unless the new player chooses to disable the buddy-finder
-the basic idea is to provide new players with guidance--not only to show them the ropes (as in the case of an automated tutorial), but to get them truly excited about the game:)

-the buddy box could be displayed as a relatively unobtrusive, tiny window in the top right hand corner, much like the in-game clock

-if both sides accept, the mentor is teleported to the newbie

-it should contain a mentor rating system (and perhaps even rewards), as well as a mechanism by which to report terrible mentors/undesirable conduct towards newbies (perhaps simply a 0-star rating, or possibly something more elaborate)
NascaTinysatanchanDarkpixie99AlalaroseSpiritikaBuellaIchigo015

Comments

• NascaNasca
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Hey! I quite like your suggestion. With bit of work it can actually kick off well, seeing as how the altruism system is working relatively well. I personally would enjoy this a lot. Been playing for a long time and I've had several students myself (sadly not all of them decided to continue playing mabi :L). Would gladly accept newbies, but with the new moon book to teleport themselves I find it harder to run into them these days normally.
    Tinysatanchan
  • TinysatanchanTinysatanchan
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,170
    edited January 20, 2017

I can`t like this suggestion enough! this would really encourage new players who may be overwhelmed by all the things to do in mabi. I would suggest adding a registry (or maybe just expanding the altruism system for this) for senior players that want to help. The current altruism system isn`t a bad start, but it is very limiting as a help tool as it`s a first come first serve grab it quick kind of ordeal. I like the idea of having a one on one student to mentor ratio where players aren`t just racing for altruism points, and the new person has the option to decline the possible match.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Dude, we veteran players need this in our lives. It can be very frustrating having to explain to a random newbie you run across, rather than helping someone you've been running around with for a few hours in a mentor system. We should probably also allow an experience boost for both members, and a temporary Mentor Party Buff for the player that applied for a Mentor. I myself haven't leveled as much as I should have in the past, so it would be great to start leveling up again if I can help someone with their quests like the good old days.
  • N0IZYDAWGN0IZYDAWG
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Really nice suggestion! Wouldn't mind seeing this in the game.
  • AlalaroseAlalarose
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
    I'm not exactly a veteran player myself but i would love to see this kind of system implemented, when i started this game i was lucky enough to know someone who had been playing for a long time, if i hadn't i would have probably just quit my self.