Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

LOL the login screens

VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
Mabinogi Rep: 2,270
edited April 5, 2018 in General Chat
You woulda thunk they'd ask for real high rez versions of them, but they're looking hella jaggy on my 1600x900, detracting from the art.
THICCthighssavelives[Deleted User]
  1. LOL?40 votes
    1. LOL
       23% (9 votes)
    2. L.O.L.
       13% (5 votes)
    3. lawl
       20% (8 votes)
    4. Sprinkles
       45% (18 votes)

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    I hope they get to fix that. I loved seeing the different works in the winners post. =D
    [Deleted User]
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    It looks like a GIF without animation. :(
    [Deleted User]
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    Always wondered why they used low res backgrounds. Imo we need to go back to the 3D scenes
    Sai[Deleted User]
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Erorserv wrote: »
    Always wondered why they used low res backgrounds. Imo we need to go back to the 3D scenes

Oh gosh those were the best. Animated backgrounds...
    [Deleted User]
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited April 8, 2018
    They had everyone enter 3000 x 2000 resolution images at 300 dpi... so I have no idea how they still look so BAD o_o; Clearly KR formats their backgrounds differently or something because they all looked absolutely stunning and flawless in the winners announcement and then on the actual login screen they look horrid. I hope they're able to fix it next maint because I feel sorry for the artists
    [Deleted User]
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Honestly, shrinking a large resolution image can appear more pixelated versus a smaller image getting slightly stretched; or that was my experience when working with Photoshop to design sublimation for print on clothing anyways.
    Shoogpawcalypse[Deleted User]
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Honestly, shrinking a large resolution image can appear more pixelated versus a smaller image getting slightly stretched; or that was my experience when working with Photoshop to design sublimation for print on clothing anyways.

Fellow graphic designer who knows about dye sublimation?!?! <3

As for the login screens. I agree and hopefully they can get the image resolution fixed soon
    pawcalypseJazmynXxBearslayerxX[Deleted User]TheDumbOne
  • XxBearslayerxXXxBearslayerxX
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    Shoog wrote: »
    Jazmyn wrote: »

Fellow graphic designer who knows about dye sublimation?!?! <3

As for the login screens. I agree and hopefully they can get the image resolution fixed soon

The way Shoog gets about graphic design is the way I get when it comes to computers.
    [Deleted User]Shoog
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Sigh. The higher the resolution, the larger the file size. (Gee. I wonder why they use small files on load. -- /facepalm). :lol:

This looks more like quick resizing using MSpaint, which creates those jaggies and dotted lines. They could still make it look nice and keep the filesize down if they resized using a good program like GIMP. It's like they were aiming for a less than 10KB image, which is strange since the chainslash loading screen image looked very high quality.
    [Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Sigh. The higher the resolution, the larger the file size. (Gee. I wonder why they use small files on load. -- /facepalm). :lol:
    While I understand wanting to reduce loading times, all of the other log in screens have been of a substantially higher resolution than these ones and didn't really seem to alter loading times that much.
    [Deleted User]Twelie
    edited April 11, 2018
    The size of the original plays a major role here. Use the following image for example: https://i.imgur.com/IoN7Lxz.jpg. I'm fairly certain you won't get much quality out of this, no matter what piece of software you use to enlarge it. ~ Be it MS Paint, Paint.NET, Photoshop, or GIMP.

We're not talking about enlarging. All winning images are high quality 2880x1920 images. We're talking about reducing size and maintaining quality. Software does matter (even in enlarging). Different software uses different resizing algorithms (bicubic, lancsoz, nearest neighbor, etc) and different jpg compression ratios. In MSpaint these choices are fixed, sometimes for the worse. Gimp and Adobe® Photoshop® allows you to manually select resizing algorithm and jpg compression ratios.
  • VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,270
    So they did ask for real hi-rez versions, but then had the Amish Intern resize them? That's not LOL, that's more like LMAO territory right there.